✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Track 10 - My Universe | Coldplay X BTS | Music of the Spheres

12 hours ago, pansonic said:

hot take: my universe > higher power 

It has grown on me. my 2 favorite parts: the robotic voice that says 'my universe' (silly, I know) and the ambient noises before the outro. the bts parts actually blend in really well, I low key expected the collab to be a disaster, but it works!

Agreed. My Universe will thrive in the long run because it's a grower, I loved Higher Power since the first listen but got tired of it quickly duo to massive overplaying.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Yes? said:

I've heard the full track a few times now, but I'm gonna stop until the September release - at that point I'll be hearing it everywhere, so I don't want to tire of it!

My thoughts: I really like the production. I LOVE the funky bass. Chris' voice is great, and the hook is VERY catchy. The BTS boys also blend in really well, and I'm happy that there are parts in Korean. The final drop is great too (as heard in the trailer)...

Critiques? The lyrics are indeed very simple, but then again this is clearly one of a couple tracks from the album designed to be a charting single, and this makes its success more likely in 2021. For the song, I think it still works. Like I said, the hook is great. The only thing I would've changed is to maybe take out one rendition of the chorus (it's repeated a lot) and replace it with longer verses to flesh out the main lyrical content a bit more.

All in all, I'm sure it won't be my favourite on the album, but it's a strong single. As far as pop Coldplay goes, I think they're on good form here. It is much better than the likes of Hymn for the Weekend, and (as much as I love it) it doesn't sound as dated as ASFOS did when that came out.

I hope the boys get another no.1 from this. It means nothing if they don't, and they're clearly not bothered, but I'd be happy for them. Plus, whilst success isn't the most important thing at all (music is), we all love to boast about our band being the biggest in the world, don't we? Not every fan can say that.

I have my fingers crossed for #1s, I'm not gonna lie. On the United States, My Universe will join Viva la Vida as the only songs by a British group to top Billboard's Hot 100 in this century. Meanwhile in the United Kingdom, Coldplay will join the Bee Gees, Queen, U2 and Take That as the only groups to have a #1 song in three different decades (Viva la Vida - 2000s, Paradise - 2010s, My Universe - 2020s).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow 1

I'm not a fan of this at all. I don't know what the Korean lyrics are but the English ones are some of the most cheesy stuff I've ever heard in a Coldplay song. Oftentimes when Chris's lyrics are nothing special, I'll still like the song just because of the instrumentals and the vocal melody. But even those are just so... generic. That weird robotic voice that you hear a couple of times sounds so out of place. The intro is weird. The outro is decent but the false ending after the last chorus is weird. I suppose the best things about this song are Guy's bass groove, the ambient bits toward the end, and Will's drumming in the outro. Nothing else stands out to me. What a shame... maybe this will grow on me eventually, but the song is bad enough in my opinion that after several listens, I can't see myself coming back to it until it's officially released.

Oh well, maybe the BTS fanbase will enjoy My Universe. If they do, I'll be glad for them. And I do hope it does well in terms of charts and streaming.

• Like 3

On 7/22/2021 at 10:32 PM, 42Escapist said:

I'm not a fan of this at all. I don't know what the Korean lyrics are but the English ones are some of the most cheesy stuff I've ever heard in a Coldplay song. Oftentimes when Chris's lyrics are nothing special, I'll still like the song just because of the instrumentals and the vocal melody. But even those are just so... generic. That weird robotic voice that you hear a couple of times sounds so out of place. The intro is weird. The outro is decent but the false ending after the last chorus is weird. I suppose the best things about this song are Guy's bass groove, the ambient bits toward the end, and Will's drumming in the outro. Nothing else stands out to me. What a shame... maybe this will grow on me eventually, but the song is bad enough in my opinion that after several listens, I can't see myself coming back to it until it's officially released.

Oh well, maybe the BTS fanbase will enjoy My Universe. If they do, I'll be glad for them. And I do hope it does well in terms of charts and streaming.

I totally agree with you. Last part reminded me a little to the intro instrumentals of Princess of China. That's for me the only part where those generic tones come into its own. Intro feels they wanted to give this song a kind of stadium vibe or pretended being played in a stadium somewhere in the universe. I think all the extras, including the robotic vocal effects, do make this song just less boring. But actually I don't think these effects are all right placed. But I'll give it another judge on October 15 when we've got some more context. In the meantime, I will enjoy listening to Human Heart, Higher Power and Coloratura. 

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 10:32 PM, 42Escapist said:

That weird robotic voice that you hear a couple of times sounds so out of place.

Honestly, the first time I listened to the song when that robotic voice came up my very first though was that it sounded like someone was burping or something! ? 

Melodically, I like My Universe slightly better than HP. There's really not much to say about it though, it's not a song that would catch my attention if it didn't have Coldplay on it. 

Edited by LisaFeehily
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • stephen changed the title to Track 10 - My Universe | Coldplay X BTS | Music of the Spheres
  • stephen pinned, unpinned and featured this topic