✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The official **KEANE** thread

LifeIs4Living

I have the delux CD that I got when I went to Ireland, and I've got the standard CD that I got here in the States. The Iron Sea is on both versions, between Put It Behind You and Crystal Ball, it's attatched to the end of Put It Behind You. :thinking: Is it not on anyone here's CD? Huh....

I like it, the band uses it as an opener live, just Tim comes out and starts it off on his pianos, then Rich and Tom come out after that and join in.. Really awesome.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the delux CD that I got when I went to Ireland, and I've got the standard CD that I got here in the States. The Iron Sea is on both versions, between Put It Behind You and Crystal Ball, it's attatched to the end of Put It Behind You. :thinking: Is it not on anyone here's CD? Huh....

I like it, the band uses it as an opener live, just Tim comes out and starts it off on his pianos, then Rich and Tom come out after that and join in.. Really awesome.

It is on the standard CD, but it isn't listed as a track - it simply follows on from the end of the previous track, which is all a bit weird, if you ask me!;)

It is on the standard CD' date=' but it isn't listed as a track - it simply follows on from the end of the [i']previous [/i]track, which is all a bit weird, if you ask me!;)

Yep, you're right. On the US version at least, The Iron Sea is technically on Track 8. You know how all CDs have about two second gaps between each song? Well, The Iron Sea is placed in this gap between Put It Behind You and Crystal Ball.

Did that confuse you? Oh well, I tried.

Tom Chaplin: A suitable case for treatment

Keane's lead singer has taken himself off to the Priory suffering from drink and drug problems brought on by the intensity of touring, but will this give the band the rock'n'roll credibility denied them by their critics?

Reports last week that Tom Chaplin had gone into rehab at the Priory and was there at the same time as fellow rockers Justin Hawkins of the Darkness and Pete Doherty and that the trio had formed a supergroup - Sobertramp, the Sun dubbed it - proved disappointingly inaccurate: Doherty has been staying at an entirely different branch of the clinic. But the fabrication in itself was revealing. It was Pete and Justin who were said to have really bonded. The Keane singer was rather the wallflower, left playing the piano, the subtext being that even now, he wasn't quite as rock'n'roll as the others.

Ever since Keane first tasted fame two years ago, with three top 10 singles and a number one debut album, Hopes and Fears, the band from Battle, East Sussex, have been pilloried for their middle-class sensibilities. The 27-year-old Chaplin is an Ipswich Town supporter and cricket fan; he took a gap year in South Africa; he studied art history at university. Unlike the pale and skinny Doherty, Chaplin is too ruddy cheeked and probably carries a few too many pounds to pull off the classic rock star pose.

As for the Darkness, they and Keane were once embroiled in a slanging match which ended with the former's then-bassist ruminating: 'We used to call namby-pambies like that bedwetters. Keane are now more sheet-soilers ... I did try to have a word with their singer, but I couldn't get his dummy off him.'

It might seem surprising that it is the Darkness who, according to rumour, are set to be dropped by their record label, rather than Keane, but the latter's extraordinary success reflects an iron-clad determination to become the biggest band on the planet. After the release of Hopes and Fears, the band toured the world solidly for 18 months, including five sweeps through America, plus the Live8 show in London.

'They are incredibly competitive,' says a source at the record company, 'and they've always worked harder than most to help promote their records - they'll go the extra mile.' Little wonder that faced with a similar schedule in the wake of the arrival of their second album, Under the Iron Sea, Chaplin has felt the strain.

This month, the band cancelled a string of gigs with the singer citing exhaustion, before he then issued his terse statement: 'I've been having to deal with an increasing problem with drink and drugs and the time has come to get the professional help I need to sort myself out.'

As if irked by this hitch, his band-mate and childhood friend Tim Rice-Oxley has said: 'Tom's illness has been cumulative. We enjoy being relentless, but it's a big risk and we lost out. Half of me is frustrated and the other is very worried.'

Last weekend, Chaplin was temporarily released so that the band could fulfil their commitment to perform at the V festivals in Staffordshire and Essex. The reviews were less than kind.

Chaplin and Rice-Oxley's mothers became friends when the boys were babies and later sent them to the same fee-paying school, Tonbridge. There they met future bandmates Richard Hughes and Dominic Scott and, as a group, they started playing covers of songs by Oasis and the Beatles at local Sussex pubs, changing their name from the Lotus Eaters to Cherry Keane (after a member of staff at school), before becoming Keane.

After A-levels, Chaplin went to Edinburgh University, but quit his degree to join the other band members in London. To make money to support the group, he worked for a publishing company and once took part in a medical trial testing drugs for schizophrenics.

In 2001, Scott left the band, leaving keyboard player Rice-Oxley to drive the sound of the trio; he also wrote the songs, with their strong, vaguely uplifting melodies and lyrics that Chaplin sang. After briefly paying their dues with the independent Fierce Panda, in late 2003 they signed to Island Records, becoming label-mates with U2, the band they idolised.

Of Rice-Oxley and Chaplin, it is the singer who's the extrovert, happy to introduce himself to the likes of Bruce Springsteen who they meet backstage at awards shows. 'Part of me wonders where the confidence comes from to perform,' says Rice-Oxley, impressed not only by Chaplin's vocal prowess, but also by the way in which he has developed into a dynamic frontman.

Chaplin has admitted that selling five million copies of Hopes and Fears went to his head and 'I let my ego get the better of me'. He flew his father to New York to see the band play with U2 at Madison Square Garden and then all but ignored him. His relationship with Rice-Oxley deteriorated, too, but in British, middle-class fashion, both bottled up their anxieties.

Keane have talked in interviews about the tempestuous recording of Under the Iron Sea and claim that they came close to splitting. 'To hell and back' ran the strapline for a cover feature with Q magazine, while cynics pointed out that the record was made in Sussex, and 'to Hove and back in time for tea and an early night' might have been closer to the truth. But Chaplin's drug confessions lend new credibility to their earlier claims that they had entered a 'darker place' which, to some extent, is reflected in the heavier sound of the new record.

It was the business of recording that kept them together, Chaplin has said, adding that it was music in the first instance that brought them together. 'It was our geeky way of expressing ourselves. We were never very good at talking about stuff; we'd just turn it into music.'

Rice-Oxley has admitted that two of his new songs, 'Broken Toy' and 'Hamburg Song', are dedicated to Chaplin and a lyric such as: 'I don't want to be adored/Don't want to be first in line, or make myself heard/ Fool, I wonder if you know yourself at all' more than hints at the strains in their relationship. But in recent months, Chaplin has been touring the world once more, singing these words.

'The songs are huge tunes that millions of people can relate to in a superficial way - and that's a blessing and a curse,' he says. 'As soon as you scratch beneath the surface, there is turmoil, anguish and anger.'

Not everyone is as convinced by the increasingly turbulent qualities of Keane's music. 'They are the direct beneficiaries of huge changes in the music industry over the last 10 years,' says Martin Talbot, editor of Music Week. 'Through selling music through supermarkets and through TV advertising, the big labels have reached a whole new demographic. Keane's music isn't very challenging and that's perfect for an audience of 30- to 40-year-old men and women who want a rather safe experience. Which is why the Tom Chaplin news about entering the Priory is so surprising, shocking even.'

In the past, Chaplin has put a positive spin on the band's perceived lack of glamour, saying: 'The fact we don't have that superstar image helps people relate to us. People relate to rock'n'roll stars because rock'n'roll's exciting and there's a big story to it, but it's not us.' But those close to the band say that they have bitterly resented the lack of respect that is afforded to their middle-class peers such as the Libertines and Coldplay.

When they have sought to toughen up their image, the results have often been comical, as at last year's Glastonbury, when Chaplin refused to wear a pair of wellingtons, despite the atrocious weather. 'I think we just decided we had to do our little bit of suffering,' he said subsequently with reference to his muddied winklepickers. 'We're trying to look cool... it's just been a lifelong effort. We're still terrible at it.'

One presumably unintended consequence of Chaplin going into rehab may be that in the eyes of the likes of the NME, Keane will now seem slightly cooler. But it's questionable whether existing fans will care much one way or the other about such matters, either here or in America, where the band say they feel more comfortable and where the new album entered the Billboard charts at number four. There, too, they have even won the praise of hipper-than-thou talents such as rapper Pharrell Williams and novelist Bret Easton Ellis.

Scottish writer Irvine Welsh is also an admirer, having even directed the video for their recent single, 'Atlantic'. 'I empathise,' he has said of the band's persecution complex, 'because I've had the opposite criticism: not having been considered public school or Oxbridge enough for literature.'

Shortly before he started his spell at the Priory, Chaplin was asked whether he felt the need to prove himself a rock'n'roll character to win some credibility. 'The whole idea of bands being perpetually rock'n'roll has been exaggerated to make a story,' he said. 'What really stands the test of time is the music.'

Given this, and assuming the singer makes good on his promise to return to promoting the new record without overlong delay, his group's future should yet be secure.

The Chaplin Lowdown

Born Thomas Oliver Chaplin, 8 March 1979, Battle, East Sussex.

Best of times Debut album Hopes and Fears goes to number one and sells more than five million copies worldwide.

The band have three top 10 singles and Keane win two Brit Awards in 2005 (British breakthrough act and best album) as well as Q magazine's best album award and a nomination in the best new act category at the Grammy awards.

Worst of times In August 2006, Chaplin checks himself into the Priory clinic, saying that he has been having increasing problems with drink and drugs.

What he says 'People often say that they wish they'd been around in the Sixties. But we're happy just where we are. We love rock's back catalogue, and now we've got a chance to add to it. After all, tunes never go out of fashion.'

'We've never wanted to be a small, cult band. We want to get our music heard by as many people as we possibly can, because that's why we're making it.'

What others say 'We thought he had a sore throat. He seemed like such a nice boy.' Alex Kapranos, lead singer with Franz Ferdinand, on learning of the real reason for Keane cancelling a string of dates.

'I really love the Keane record; that was the last record where I really listened to the whole thing.' Singer Gwen Stefani.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/7days/story/0,,1859237,00.html

Thanks for the article, Ian, you always find the best! :)

once took part in a medical trial testing drugs for schizophrenics.

That's not true, that was Tim.... oh man. Get the fucking info right, journalists. *sighs*

I think this whole "now he's a rock star" stuff is absolutely BULL. SHIT. (Yes, caps is necessary!) Someone doesn't need to hang out in the Priory on weekends to be a rock star. I may love Doherty, but he's no rock star. Not in the international sense. Star to the fans? Yes. Star to the press? No. Will this drug use make Tom a star? Incredibly unlikely. I don't think it's cool, I don't think anyone does. It doesn't harden Keane to me. It deteriorates an image I held in my mind.

Of course, I do come from the Libertines camp, so the fact that one of my idols is using pretty much doesn't phase me.... But.... the fact that it's KEANE. Christ! The more I think about this, the more it stuns me. Honestly. I'm not going to lie, I am really upset. I'm upset that he allowed it to get this far, that the band allowed it to happen.... I think people saying "Oh but he's only human" or "well this'll give him an edge", they don't know what they're talking about. Something like this can not only kill a person, but kill their reputation, friendships and the band. I hope this doesn't happen.

But you know what? Tom made his bed, so he can lie in it. All the best to him, it doesn't affect the music made for me at ALL. But still. It's just so stupid all around.

'We thought he had a sore throat. He seemed like such a nice boy.' Alex Kapranos, lead singer with Franz Ferdinand, on learning of the real reason for Keane cancelling a string of dates.

LMFAO :heart: hahaa I love Alex such a nice boy haha

resented the lack of respect that is afforded to their middle-class peers such as the Libertines and Coldplay.

I'm sorry, I just think that's such a load of shit I can't stand it :laugh4:

1) I'm a Libertines fan and I've never seen the band treated with respect outside of the fan base.

2) They're not really peers to Keane now, since they broke up 2 years ago. God. Not even close.

3) I am sooooo sick of this whole "middle-class" thing. Jeez, we get it. Ok ok Coldplay's middle class. Ooooook. :snore:

/DONE! haha

Thanks for the article, Ian, you always find the best! :)

once took part in a medical trial testing drugs for schizophrenics.

That's not true, that was Tim.... oh man. Get the fucking info right, journalists. *sighs*

I think this whole "now he's a rock star" stuff is absolutely BULL. SHIT. (Yes, caps is necessary!) Someone doesn't need to hang out in the Priory on weekends to be a rock star. I may love Doherty, but he's no rock star. Not in the international sense. Star to the fans? Yes. Star to the press? No. Will this drug use make Tom a star? Incredibly unlikely. I don't think it's cool, I don't think anyone does. It doesn't harden Keane to me. It deteriorates an image I held in my mind.

Of course, I do come from the Libertines camp, so the fact that one of my idols is using pretty much doesn't phase me.... But.... the fact that it's KEANE. Christ! The more I think about this, the more it stuns me. Honestly. I'm not going to lie, I am really upset. I'm upset that he allowed it to get this far, that the band allowed it to happen.... I think people saying "Oh but he's only human" or "well this'll give him an edge", they don't know what they're talking about. Something like this can not only kill a person, but kill their reputation, friendships and the band. I hope this doesn't happen.

But you know what? Tom made his bed, so he can lie in it. All the best to him, it doesn't affect the music made for me at ALL. But still. It's just so stupid all around.

'We thought he had a sore throat. He seemed like such a nice boy.' Alex Kapranos, lead singer with Franz Ferdinand, on learning of the real reason for Keane cancelling a string of dates.

LMFAO :heart: hahaa I love Alex such a nice boy haha

resented the lack of respect that is afforded to their middle-class peers such as the Libertines and Coldplay.

I'm sorry, I just think that's such a load of shit I can't stand it :laugh4:

1) I'm a Libertines fan and I've never seen the band treated with respect outside of the fan base.

2) They're not really peers to Keane now, since they broke up 2 years ago. God. Not even close.

3) I am sooooo sick of this whole "middle-class" thing. Jeez, we get it. Ok ok Coldplay's middle class. Ooooook. :snore:

/DONE! haha

It makes no difference where a band comes from, as long as the music they make is good.

Keane make excellent music, while The Darkness produce sh*t. End of story.;)

Oh did not know you liked Keane Mark..that is :nice:!!!!!!!!!

If you think about it, it's logical (even though I've mentioned it many times before, anyway), as the sound is similar to Coldplay's.

You're the one who's into "hard and heavy" stuff, not me!!:rolleyes: