✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Doctor Who ???......

interpol

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a very sad episode, but am I the only one who feels it had some plot holes in it?

• what was the point of the statue of liberty, what did it do and how was it able to move, it's giant so there's always someone looking at it
  • the Doctor couldn't go back in time in Manhattan, so why couldn't Amy and Rory just leave the city so he could pick them up again? Or the Doctor could go to a different year with the TARDIS
  • River obviously could visit them again (eg. the afterword). Why didn't the Doctor use a vortex manipulator or could River bring them back with it. They used it with several people when Jack was around.
  • How come there were several shots with them not looking at the angels, or only 1 person, and clearly blinking. Why didn't the statues move then?

:dizzy2:

Hahaha I know, right?! Here's my shot at answering your questions:

a) I think the Statue of Liberty was just another, albeit big, Weeping Angel that was supposed to send that guy and Rory back in time. Not sure how it could move, possibly because the city was deserted at that point?

b) If it was 1938, then it must've been a bit more difficult to travel but I do agree with you - they could've travelled somewhere where the Doctor would've picked them up.

c) Perhaps the vortex manipulator works only with one people using it? I can't remember how they used it in the past, though.

d) Maybe someone else was? There were old ladies in some buildings that always looked at the statues.

IDK MAN.

Hahaha I know, right?! Here's my shot at answering your questions:

a) I think the Statue of Liberty was just another, albeit big, Weeping Angel that was supposed to send that guy and Rory back in time. Not sure how it could move, possibly because the city was deserted at that point?

b) If it was 1938, then it must've been a bit more difficult to travel but I do agree with you - they could've travelled somewhere where the Doctor would've picked them up.

c) Perhaps the vortex manipulator works only with one people using it? I can't remember how they used it in the past, though.

d) Maybe someone else was? There were old ladies in some buildings that always looked at the statues.

IDK MAN.

As regards to C,

River was the one telling Amy to go back and find Rory. She was certain she would find them, she knew they'd be okay.

She also regenerated in New York City when she was a child, so my bet is that they found her, and brought her up.

But then I also think that last week's episode happened earlier in the Doctor's timeline.

He told Brian that they'd never die while they were with him, which he seemed certain of. He's seemed a lot angrier this series. Why? Oh, and then they hid under Henry VIII's bed. Remember the Doctor had a go at Rory in the previous episode for leaving his phone charger there?

Also, River in last night's episode seemed to be at a different point of her timeline. She'd been pardoned "long ago", so we're somewhere between the crash of the Byzantium and the Vashta Nerada. Only, she's married to the Doctor at this point. She should be younger than that, surely.

My theory is that the Doctor went back in time to see Amy and Rory, and that he fractured time. This left Clara/Oswin sort of everywhere in time. Hence why she's a dalek in the 51st Century and a human in the 19th.

But hey, I have noooo clue. And I never do with Steven Moffat.

Thanks for the answers guys! Things make a bit more sense now :smiley:

As to the vortex manipulator, Ten, Martha and Jack used it together, but I can't remember where.

I also think River is very close to the Vashta Nerada in her timeline, since she is a professor now. I think the Doctor kind of realized that when she said that.

Thanks for the answers guys! Things make a bit more sense now :smiley:

As to the vortex manipulator, Ten, Martha and Jack used it together, but I can't remember where.

I also think River is very close to the Vashta Nerada in her timeline, since she is a professor now. I think the Doctor kind of realized that when she said that.

The Eleventh Doctor used a vortex manipulator in The Big Bang.

Though what I'm really confused about is that in Father's Day, a paradox brings the reapers, who feed off the wounds in time and space, and these days, paradoxes don't do the same thing.

I think writers need to explain why things are happening more than "Does it matter?", or actually watch the old episodes.

The Eleventh Doctor used a vortex manipulator in The Big Bang.

Though what I'm really confused about is that in Father's Day, a paradox brings the reapers, who feed off the wounds in time and space, and these days, paradoxes don't do the same thing.

I think writers need to explain why things are happening more than "Does it matter?", or actually watch the old episodes.

You are right, I didn't think of that :thinking:

I agree with the consistency thing. I'm still wondering how the Doctor was able to visit Skaro in the first ep., I mean, wasn't it time locked? And where did all those daleks come from? I thought there were only a few left after their last encounter :blank:

Although Steven Moffat does seem to know thoroughly what happened in the entire series from Classic en NewWho. So I don't understand why he would make "mistakes" like that or brush it aside with a "Does it matter".

I don't know if I've ever cried so much in an epsiode but ughh

I haven't enjoyed this series so much but I liked this episode

If the doctor had rescued them, it would have altered time and it's not worth risking the whole of New York I guess so I can understand that

the last episode with the angels was probably the best of this series, this series hasn't been so good in my opinion, I actually fell asleep during one of the episodes!! I haven't cryed so much during Rory & Amy leaving scenes since David Tennant left, and I never really liked Amy aswell. Going to miss Rory, and shockingly, maybe even Amy too.

You are right, I didn't think of that :thinking:

I agree with the consistency thing. I'm still wondering how the Doctor was able to visit Skaro in the first ep., I mean, wasn't it time locked? And where did all those daleks come from? I thought there were only a few left after their last encounter :blank:

Although Steven Moffat does seem to know thoroughly what happened in the entire series from Classic en NewWho. So I don't understand why he would make "mistakes" like that or brush it aside with a "Does it matter".

I think I know actually :P

Skaro wasn't timelocked, but the time war was. Skaro was crumbling and burning when the Doctor visited. That's probably all that was left from the time war, unless Gallifrey still exists?

The Emperor of the Daleks survived the time war, and built a fleet of daleks from itself. Later on, the Cult of Skaro were revealed to have survived via hiding in the void. And then in the last series, there were a group of Daleks that survived the Eleventh Doctor, and Winston Churchill. My bet is that these Daleks were the ones who created the Daleks seen in Asylum of the Daleks.

Thank you! I thought I was the only person that thought this. Maybe Moffatt thinks that when Nine 'defeated' the Reapers they were gone forever? But if they are beings that live outside time and space that would be kind of impossible... :confused:

Thank you! I thought I was the only person that thought this. Maybe Moffatt thinks that when Nine 'defeated' the Reapers they were gone forever? But if they are beings that live outside time and space that would be kind of impossible... :confused:

I think that it's something to do with the cracks in time and space. The vortex manipulator is a "cheap and nasty" way to time-travel too, so chances are, it doesn't start a paradox. Where timelords can start paradoxes because they are basically the guardians of time.

A little bit like... Mark Zuckerberg having an official "Facebook error", and the rest of us having a glitch.. If that makes sense? :P

Alot of people haven't realized it yet, but the whole motif of the episode is that once you read forward, you can't change it, then it would be a paradox. Amy and Rory's name are etched on a gravestone. You could never take Amy and Rory out of the place they are in now, because that would create a paradox.

They are meant to live their life out in old New York because they read it on a gravestone, much like how River broke her wrist because Amy read it in a book. The Doctor and River could visit them, yes, but they could never take them out.

Time can be re-written, unless you know it's going to happen.

Plothole filled.

As for the points that zzz pointed out, The Statue of Liberty was probably put there just for pure entertainment. In other words, i can't find an explaination for that either. :shrug:

and in response to the characters not looking at the angels and blinking, well, let's see you try to film a scene looking at every statue while you have no idea where your partner's looking. :P

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Alot of people haven't realized it yet, but the whole motif of the episode is that once you read forward, you can't change it, then it would be a paradox. Amy and Rory's name are etched on a gravestone. You could never take Amy and Rory out of the place they are in now, because that would create a paradox.

They are meant to live their life out in old New York because they read it on a gravestone, much like how River broke her wrist because Amy read it in a book. The Doctor and River could visit them, yes, but they could never take them out.

Time can be re-written, unless you know it's going to happen.

Plothole filled.

As for the points that zzz pointed out, The Statue of Liberty was probably put there just for pure entertainment. In other words, i can't find an explaination for that either. :shrug:

and in response to the characters not looking at the angels and blinking, well, let's see you try to film a scene looking at every statue while you have no idea where your partner's looking. :P

But somehow, the Doctor managed to get a past self of Kezran Sardick to meet himself the other Christmas without causing a paradox.

As Steven Moffat says though, there are no plotholes with Doctor Who, because there is no continuity with a show that rewrites its own history.