Anyway, I hope you're not a closet Backdoor Boys fan!! :P

As I read this discussion I wasn't bored anymore :P

And no I', not a "Backdoor boys"(!) fan...and I have never been.... :D

Glad to hear it - I never doubted you!! :D

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to like them. And I sometimes like listening to the bands I used to hear all the time.

But you still probably relate to them in a different way to how you did before??

When you are very young you don't really have anything to compare it to - in other words, you don't know any better.

What's wrong with bubblegum music?

this thing is hilarious!!! :laugh1:

I know - the whole SUBJECT is hilarious - or should that be "ludicrous"??!! :lol:

Seriously, what's wrong with bubblegum pop? Of course I know it's nowhere near as deep as say Britrock... But so what? You might want to examine why you detest it so much... Were u so emotionally scarred before that any hint of lovey-dovey shallowness gets u all riled up/sickened? If not, why then?

I understand if u get sick of it coz it's played 24/7 at your local radio station and on MTV but then again, I'm sure you'd get sick of any genre music if it was blaring out of every single transmitting device within earshot all the time... This over-exposure is not exactly the fault of the music itself, blame the marketing execs and the overwhelming majority of mindless masses out there. So again, what's wrong with bubblegum music?

I know - the whole SUBJECT is hilarious - or should that be "ludicrous"??!!

Oh if you don't like them then stop posting in this thread.

People should be allowed to like what they like without someone critising their choice and making 'jokes' about the band they like!

I'm with Matt, if he likes their music then that's upto him, there's plenty of other threads about other bands on here, go talk in there rather than posting a stream of insults in here!

What's wrong with bubblegum music?

this thing is hilarious!!! :laugh1:

I know - the whole SUBJECT is hilarious - or should that be "ludicrous"??!! :lol:

Seriously, what's wrong with bubblegum pop? Of course I know it's nowhere near as deep as say Britrock... But so what? You might want to examine why you detest it so much... Were u so emotionally scarred before that any hint of lovey-dovey shallowness gets u all riled up/sickened? If not, why then?

I understand if u get sick of it coz it's played 24/7 at your local radio station and on MTV but then again, I'm sure you'd get sick of any genre music if it was blaring out of every single transmitting device within earshot all the time... This over-exposure is not exactly the fault of the music itself, blame the marketing execs and the overwhelming majority of mindless masses out there. So again, what's wrong with bubblegum music?

You said it - "mindless masses"!! :P

They don't realise they're being brainwashed into thinking such diluted dross is "real music".

It's true that the marketing execs and the media have a lot to answer for in that respect.

The forming of these bands usually goes something like this:

1. Advertise for people who want to be in boy (or girl) band (including trawling all the stage schools for "talent").

2. Hold auditions.

3. Select members of band based more on how they look than what they can actually DO (former Atomic Kitten Kerry Catona has admitted this is what happened in HER case).

4. Make sure there is a mixture of "types" in band to cater for all "tastes".

5. Groom/train them for stardom.

6. Find some cheesey tunes (with usually meaningless lyrics) for them to sing.

7. Activate "hype machine".

8. Wait for the riches to roll in from the "mindless masses".

Everything is far too much media-driven these days to the point where you know what a performer looks like before you hear the music.

It should work the other way around.

However, if it did, the vast majority of the "bubblegum" would bite the dust, and the record execs couldn't have that, could they? :wink3:

The same thing is now happening with R&B music, unfortunately - it's all becoming far too sanitised and formularized.

Individuality and spontaneity is being crushed as a result!

How many of these acts would survive if there was no MTV or similar stations? Not many, I reckon!! :)

And by the way - those publicity shots above sum it all up!! AWful!!:P

^ What you've said is true, but the question still stands - What's wrong with manufactured bubblegum pop? The music's still there (prefabricated packaging or not), the lyrics may not be too deep (but then the same could be said of other better-regarded types of music), the 'artists' are good enough at whatever love-lorn songs they're singing about... And as I've said earlier up, the main purpose of entertainment (albeit mindless) has been achieved. So... what's the problem?

I used to like them. And I sometimes like listening to the bands I used to hear all the time.

But you still probably relate to them in a different way to how you did before??

When you are very young you don't really have anything to compare it to - in other words, you don't know any better.

I'm not sure if I would still like this music if it didn't remind me of many things. I can't really compare this to other things. I don't like the newer boygroups. But maybe the Backstreet Boys or Take That weren't better than them.

I'm not sure if I would still like this music if it didn't remind me of many things. I can't really compare this to other things. I don't like the newer boygroups. But maybe the Backstreet Boys or Take That weren't better than them.

Exactly - because they all follow the same "formula". Only the line-ups differ.

You have a lot more music "savvy" now, Sally!! :D