✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Random Coldplay thoughts...

alyssa

Thanks for posting the Q article. :)

The other day VH1, Denmark had Coldplay as the Top 12 at 12 artist (from 12-13 o'clock CET).

1. CLOCKS, 2. VIVA LA VIDA, 3. Speed of Sound, 4. the Scientist, 5. Yellow, 6. Fix You, 7. the Hardest Part, 8. Violet Hill, 9. Paradise, 10. Princess of China, 11. Magic and 12. Every Teardrop.

So the 2 latest studio albums were not represented at the top at all. Often in connection with a new Coldplay single, it is no. 1 or 2, but Magic only managed to be no. 11.

A signed Coldplay star, even the packaging looks awesome:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>THANK YOU SO MUCH! <a href="https://twitter.com/coldplay">@coldplay</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/Target">@Target</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23MoreColdplay&src=hash">#MoreColdplay</a> <a href="http://t.co/INlrMPM2Mm">pic.twitter.com/INlrMPM2Mm</a></p>— Natalie Magee (@natmagee) <a href="https://twitter.com/natmagee/statuses/469903749389885440">May 23, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wonderful Coldplay day.

I noticed at 9:02 this morning that there was 3 hours of Coldplay from 9 - 12 am from a Danish TV channel (in collaboration with some Danish radio stations).

A summary hereof (and not all "facts" are correct as far as I can see).

"Coldplay Weekend" on Danish TV Station 7’eren in collaboration with some Danish radio stations (the Voice and 100 FM?) from 9 to 12 o’clock on 24 May 2014

The story of their career and presenter, Jeppe Voldum, playing most of their singles, and he also had some nice surprises:

The boys introduced themselves and talked about the good old and creative days at 268 Camden Road – in Will’s bedroom that was also their playroom / room for rehearsals.

Heard a bit of Spies and Everything’s not lost (the idea is to find the light at the end of the tunnel).

At first the boys made an EP.

The boys wrote down their goals on a piece of paper, and every month they were able to tick off some of the goals as they had achieved them (write songs, make an album, get a deal with a record company).

Parachutes – an intimate and quiet album - was released in 2000 and dedicated to Sara Champion, Will’s deceased mother.

All 4 singles/videos from Parachutes were played: 1) Shiver, 2) Yellow (on UK top-5), 3) Don’t Panic and 4) Trouble (on UK-top 20).

I had not seen this Trouble video before - the boys were sitting on a horse-drawn wagon / Jonny looked as if he was typing on something that did not look like a typewriter – I do not know what it was. The video I have seen several times is the one where Chris - and later also Guy - is sitting on a chair with the hands tied. And I have also seen a live video of Trouble on VH1, DK a few times).

It took 20 minutes to make the Yellow video. Chris wrote Yellow after his mother had found out that she had cancer – inspired by this.

In an interview from 2000 they talked about 2 new songs: Animals and In My Place.

Album 2, the highly acclaimed A Rush of Blood to the Head from 2002.

Chris Martin imitated an uncle who told him that his lyrics was poor – the lyrics did not make sense.

The 2 themes on their second album: Get on with it AND girls.

A bit of POLITIK was played as the boys ran inside a room (maybe the room from In My Place).

All 4 singles from the album played: 1) In My Place 2) The Scientist 3) CLOCKS and 4) God Put A Smile Upon Your face.

Both video as well as live version of In My Place from Glastonbury 2002 were played. They had almost completed this song, but it didn’t make it to Parachutes, and they forgot about it. Then one day when their second album was almost finished Jonny played In My Place on guitar, and they decided to complete the song and include it on their second album plus to make it the first single off the second album – no bad move as In My Place was an immediate success.

A Rush of Blood to the Head was played in the background. Later also a bit of the acoustic Green Eyes.

The Scientist was played – this song and Daylight came into existence in a room in Parr Street where the boys were very creative. Chris had to learn to sing the lyrics of the Scientist backwards for the video shooting.

Then CLOCKS was played. Phil Harvey, their figurehead and secret 5th member liked it and encouraged Chris to put it on the album that was almost completed – Chris had felt like saving this song for later. Chris said that Clocks was inspired by Muse. Grammy for Clocks / A Rush of Blood to the Head album for Best Album.

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face with the black/white video was played.

Their 3rd album, X&Y from 2005, was dedicated to Gwyneth Paltrow’s father – Chris Martin’s late father-in-law.

All 4 singles off the album were played: 1) Speed of Sound, 2) Fix You, 3) Talk and 4) the Hardest Part.

A live version of Fix You at the BBC in 2005 was played. Chris Martin said that this was Coldplay’s so far most important song written to comfort a very sad Gwyneth whose father had died few weeks before Chris and Gwyneth met for the first time.

The Hardest Part was a tribute to Michael Stipe, REM.

Coldplay had written many songs (68?) for X&Y and then discarded (gave up) most of them.

Their 4th album, VIVA LA VIDA OR DEATH AND ALL HIS FRIENDS, was released in 2008.

Only 3 of the singles from this album were played: 1) VIOLET HILL, 2) VIVA LA VIDA and 3) Lost!

The presenter, Jeppe Voldum, didn’t even mention the subsequent singles: 4) Life in Technicolor, 5) Lovers in Japan and 6) Strawberry Swing (Chris as Superhero).

He mentioned that Violet Hill could be downloaded at Coldplay’s website (Coldplay.com) one week before the release of the album – a great move.

The presenter said that Viva la Vida had 600,000 downloads after 24 hours and more than 6 millions (not sure) after one week. He said that the official video for Viva la Vida was one of the most viewed videos on YouTube.

Viva la Vida reached number 1 in both the USA + the UK – their first no. 1 at all. They won 1 Grammy for Best Rock Album.

5TH ALBUM, MYLO XYLOTO, WAS RELEASED IN OCTOBER 2011.

Played: 1st single off the album: Every Teardrop is a Waterfall and 2) Paradise, their second UK-no. 1.

Paradise, a classic, was written for the X-Factor winner, but they changed their mind and recorded the song themselves. The video is a Matt Whitecross film.

Mylo Xyloto record: Downloaded 1.2 million times in 1 week.

Album was no. 1 in 34 countries.

Mylo Xyloto was the best-selling rock album in the UK in 2011.

The presenter then mentioned Princess of China as the 3rd single of the album (I think that Charlie Brown was the 3rd single) featuring Rihanna, as Chris Martin wrote the song with her in mind. He was shy when he asked her to collaborate with Coldplay, i.e. in singing Princess of China with him. She accepted.

The presenter talked about a behind the scenes (of making the song). Then very suddenly:

Behind the scenes of Magic (taken from their 6th studio album, Ghost Stories released in May, 2014) followed by the actual Magic video (first single off the album).

The presenter said that “the press was enthusiastic about the album!!, and that everyone agreed that Ghost Stories was their so far most personal album”.

Then finally he showed “Coldplay’s second single off the album: Midnight”. Then the Midnight video.

(As far as I know, Midnight is not actually released as a single off the album - Midnight was for charity, where the proceeds go to charity). The Oracle answered a question about it a few days ago.

Then it was over after 3 hours including many commercial breaks of at least 5 minutes so more likely 2½ hours of Coldplay.

Wonderful Coldplay day.

I noticed at 9:02 this morning that there was 3 hours of Coldplay from 9 - 12 am from a Danish TV channel (in collaboration with some Danish radio stations).

A summary hereof (and not all "facts" are correct as far as I can see).

"Coldplay Weekend" on Danish TV Station 7’eren in collaboration with some Danish radio stations (the Voice and 100 FM?) from 9 to 12 o’clock on 24 May 2014

The story of their career and presenter, Jeppe Voldum, playing most of their singles, and he also had some nice surprises:

The boys introduced themselves and talked about the good old and creative days at 268 Camden Road – in Will’s bedroom that was also their playroom / room for rehearsals.

Heard a bit of Spies and Everything’s not lost (the idea is to find the light at the end of the tunnel).

At first the boys made an EP.

The boys wrote down their goals on a piece of paper, and every month they were able to tick off some of the goals as they had achieved them (write songs, make an album, get a deal with a record company).

Parachutes – an intimate and quiet album - was released in 2000 and dedicated to Sara Champion, Will’s deceased mother.

All 4 singles/videos from Parachutes were played: 1) Shiver, 2) Yellow (on UK top-5), 3) Don’t Panic and 4) Trouble (on UK-top 20).

I had not seen this Trouble video before - the boys were sitting on a horse-drawn wagon / Jonny looked as if he was typing on something that did not look like a typewriter – I do not know what it was. The video I have seen several times is the one where Chris - and later also Guy - is sitting on a chair with the hands tied. And I have also seen a live video of Trouble on VH1, DK a few times).

It took 20 minutes to make the Yellow video. Chris wrote Yellow after his mother had found out that she had cancer – inspired by this.

In an interview from 2000 they talked about 2 new songs: Animals and In My Place.

Album 2, the highly acclaimed A Rush of Blood to the Head from 2002.

Chris Martin imitated an uncle who told him that his lyrics was poor – the lyrics did not make sense.

The 2 themes on their second album: Get on with it AND girls.

A bit of POLITIK was played as the boys ran inside a room (maybe the room from In My Place).

All 4 singles from the album played: 1) In My Place 2) The Scientist 3) CLOCKS and 4) God Put A Smile Upon Your face.

Both video as well as live version of In My Place from Glastonbury 2002 were played. They had almost completed this song, but it didn’t make it to Parachutes, and they forgot about it. Then one day when their second album was almost finished Jonny played In My Place on guitar, and they decided to complete the song and include it on their second album plus to make it the first single off the second album – no bad move as In My Place was an immediate success.

A Rush of Blood to the Head was played in the background. Later also a bit of the acoustic Green Eyes.

The Scientist was played – this song and Daylight came into existence in a room in Parr Street where the boys were very creative. Chris had to learn to sing the lyrics of the Scientist backwards for the video shooting.

Then CLOCKS was played. Phil Harvey, their figurehead and secret 5th member liked it and encouraged Chris to put it on the album that was almost completed – Chris had felt like saving this song for later. Chris said that Clocks was inspired by Muse. Grammy for Clocks / A Rush of Blood to the Head album for Best Album.

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face with the black/white video was played.

Their 3rd album, X&Y from 2005, was dedicated to Gwyneth Paltrow’s father – Chris Martin’s late father-in-law.

All 4 singles off the album were played: 1) Speed of Sound, 2) Fix You, 3) Talk and 4) the Hardest Part.

A live version of Fix You at the BBC in 2005 was played. Chris Martin said that this was Coldplay’s so far most important song written to comfort a very sad Gwyneth whose father had died few weeks before Chris and Gwyneth met for the first time.

The Hardest Part was a tribute to Michael Stipe, REM.

Coldplay had written many songs (68?) for X&Y and then discarded (gave up) most of them.

Their 4th album, VIVA LA VIDA OR DEATH AND ALL HIS FRIENDS, was released in 2008.

Only 3 of the singles from this album were played: 1) VIOLET HILL, 2) VIVA LA VIDA and 3) Lost!

The presenter, Jeppe Voldum, didn’t even mention the subsequent singles: 4) Life in Technicolor, 5) Lovers in Japan and 6) Strawberry Swing (Chris as Superhero).

He mentioned that Violet Hill could be downloaded at Coldplay’s website (Coldplay.com) one week before the release of the album – a great move.

The presenter said that Viva la Vida had 600,000 downloads after 24 hours and more than 6 millions (not sure) after one week. He said that the official video for Viva la Vida was one of the most viewed videos on YouTube.

Viva la Vida reached number 1 in both the USA + the UK – their first no. 1 at all. They won 1 Grammy for Best Rock Album.

5TH ALBUM, MYLO XYLOTO, WAS RELEASED IN OCTOBER 2011.

Played: 1st single off the album: Every Teardrop is a Waterfall and 2) Paradise, their second UK-no. 1.

Paradise, a classic, was written for the X-Factor winner, but they changed their mind and recorded the song themselves. The video is a Matt Whitecross film.

Mylo Xyloto record: Downloaded 1.2 million times in 1 week.

Album was no. 1 in 34 countries.

Mylo Xyloto was the best-selling rock album in the UK in 2011.

The presenter then mentioned Princess of China as the 3rd single of the album (I think that Charlie Brown was the 3rd single) featuring Rihanna, as Chris Martin wrote the song with her in mind. He was shy when he asked her to collaborate with Coldplay, i.e. in singing Princess of China with him. She accepted.

The presenter talked about a behind the scenes (of making the song). Then very suddenly:

Behind the scenes of Magic (taken from their 6th studio album, Ghost Stories released in May, 2014) followed by the actual Magic video (first single off the album).

The presenter said that “the press was enthusiastic about the album!!, and that everyone agreed that Ghost Stories was their so far most personal album”.

Then finally he showed “Coldplay’s second single off the album: Midnight”. Then the Midnight video.

(As far as I know, Midnight is not actually released as a single off the album - Midnight was for charity, where the proceeds go to charity). The Oracle answered a question about it a few days ago.

Then it was over after 3 hours including many commercial breaks of at least 5 minutes so more likely 2½ hours of Coldplay.

Sounds recent as it includes ghost stories. Know of anywhere we can watch it?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Since I've started half term, I've been dominating our stereo and speaker system with random Coldplay LPs/EPs/Singles. I reckon my neighbours must be pretty pissed off right now when they sub-conciously know all the lyrics of X&Y by heart! Expecting them to come knocking on the door soon... ;)

Sounds recent as it includes ghost stories. Know of anywhere we can watch it?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I think that it is more or less the content of the Coldplay Radio. (Look below)

First in Danish and then an English translation:

http://www.radioplay.dk/station/585/radio+100+coldplay

I anledning af albummet Ghost Stories, har vi dedikeret en hel radio til Coldplay. Vi har stopfyldt stationen med Coldplay-udgivelser, og du får selvfølgelig også hele Ghost Stories-albummet med. Som ekstra bonus gør vi dig også klog, på nogle helt uundværlige Coldplay facts. Radio 100 Coldplay er et samarbejde imellem Radio Play, Radio 100 og Warner Music.

And in English:

On the occasion of the album Ghost Stories we have dedicated a whole radio to Coldplay. We have filled the station with Coldplay releases, and of course you also get (to hear) the entire Ghost Stories album. As an extra bonus we inform you of some quite necessary Coldplay facts. Radio 100 Coldplay is a collaboration between Radio Play, Radio 100 and Warner Music.

Music somehow becomes better after a while.

When Atlas came out, I was like "okay, that's not bad", but now I looooove it. Atlas is really great song. :awesome:

And when Mylo Xyloto era ended, I started to love MX

I'm sure this will happen with Ghost Stories as well. If now I really like it, next year I probably will adore it, haha :lol:

^So far only Magic has been released as an ordinary single.

Today I got hold of Ghost Stories and Xscape (by the late Michael Jackson) in a FONA shop. I had got a gift card / voucher for my birthday - and that one was used for Ghost Stories.

At FONA's chain of stores Ghost Stories was last week's best-selling album followed by Michael Jackson's Xscape.