✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Random Coldplay thoughts...

alyssa

I cannot see that, somehow. At any rate he would never insult the contestants like other judges do.

Funnily enough, that was my very first thought. He doesn't 'rock the boat' enough to be entertaining on this type of show.

I cannot see that, somehow. At any rate he would never insult the contestants like other judges do.

See, I agree. Whatever is wrong with that? If it gives him a platform to show how to treat people decently, I would rather have that than some jerk up there. Helping people learn is a good thing, isn't it?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Whatever is wrong with that? If it gives him a platform to show how to treat people decently, I would rather have that than some jerk up there. Helping people learn is a good thing, isn't it?

Oh, don't get me wrong, it would set a good example. I just don't think he fits into this kind of TV programme that makes use of people's gullibility and often naive hopes to showcase them for the entertainment of other. At least that's what these casting shows have coma across to me, it's not really about finding a talent or good new singer but in large parts making fun of the bad ones.

• Like 1

Oh, don't get me wrong, it would set a good example. I just don't think he fits into this kind of TV programme that makes use of people's gullibility and often naive hopes to showcase them for the entertainment of other. At least that's what these casting shows have coma across to me, it's not really about finding a talent or good new singer but in large parts making fun of the bad ones.

Yeah, Idol was a lot like that with Simon Cowell. But, I see The Voice being a lot different than that, and much more about nurturing talent. America's Got Talent is both. In the first audition shows, they often put people on whom everyone and the judges laugh at. The sad part about that is that sometimes the contestants are completely oblivious that they are being made fun of. After those initial shows, it becomes much more about giving constructive suggestions. You are right that Chris certainly doesn't fit the profile of a judge that would humiliate people.

• Like 1

This news is frankly terrible to me, if true. It would mean we would never have a "normal" Coldplay ever again

I won't debate his credentials--what are they to be a TV judge anyway? Here is the main thing for me:

Why do people become TV judges? Is it for the art of finding new talents? Is it to actually coach a new generation if singers ? No.

It's about th money and fame. All of it. Not to say that Adam Levine or Blake Shelton on the voice are bad people, or that there are not great stories on those shows--there are some great moments of achievement and passion. But at the end of the day, you can tell, it's for the ego and crazy $$$$$ contracts and ratings. Maroon 5 isn't even a band at this point, but a brand! ALL THAT MATTERS IS SALES AND VIEWERSHIP

ABC is trying to emulate The Voice's success with this reboot and Coldplay would be a big name, while Chris could be the "cool & gracious" judge. But I don't want to see him, or the band, continue to become more of a pop brand under massive corporate media entities. It would make me think less of him. And he is one of my heroes for being the opposite of a rich snob Simon Cowell or sexy pop supermodel dating Adam Levine. I always think of Chris as a quiet, modest, kind but funny, bold, and creative mind. I almost don't believe he would do this...

• Like 4

After the A Head Full of Dreams Tour is over they claimed they were going on a hiatus right? I guess Chris MIGHT be doing this to fill in the time and try something new, if he is. I don't think the band will go up in flames (pun intended) but the public might react like "oh it's THIS guy again" and roll their eyes.

I'll certainly tune in if he's on, but only for him, I could care less about the show. I guess "corporate gimmicks" work.

• Like 1

Ok, lennyrott1, you convinced me. Everything you said is so true. I tend to want to look for others' altruistic motives, and sometimes I wear rose-colored glasses and forget alterior motives. I could not agree more about your description of the essence of Chris Martin at his core, or the risk of this move turning Coldplay into a media juggernaut. They are already in the realm of over-produced and, with Clocks being arguably voice-synced on this tour, getting too slick or plastic for their own good.

• Like 3

But I don't want to see him, or the band, continue to become more of a pop brand under massive corporate media entities.

this reminded me of:

but i'll just say one more thing about this whole topic: we don't have any actual legit sources for this, right? i could only find this article and one from The Sun... so i think reacting to this like it's the end of everything is an overreaction because it might not even be true. :P and to let something like that affect your opinion of the band members and who they are as artists or as people before there is even confirmation that it's a real thing is kinda doing them a disservice as well. i understand it's not just this one piece of news, but i feel like this sort of thing happens a lot where we tend to jump on the band (or more specifically Chris) for MAYBE doing things in the future whether or not they are actually going to do them.

(by the way, after a quick google i'm finding many articles talking about Chris Daughtry being a potential judge, so maybe they even got the wrong Chris? :P)

• Like 2

A follow-up on the Clocks thing, I don't know why I have never searched this before, but this is refreshingly different as well:

Does anyone have any idea on what occasion this was recorded, though ?

EDIT: With some digging I found out it seems it's from a KRCW radio broadcast, although I don't know when exactly. The same channel that hosts this video also has a guitar version of The Scientist from the same broadcast (and Yellow).

• Like 2

A follow-up on the Clocks thing, I don't know why I have never searched this before, but this is refreshingly different as well:

Does anyone have any idea on what occasion this was recorded, though ?

EDIT: With some digging I found out it seems it's from a KRCW radio broadcast, although I don't know when exactly. The same channel that hosts this video also has a guitar version of The Scientist from the same broadcast (and Yellow).

is that the one that was part of the Live 2003 tour diary? :wacko:

when Jonny had to play his guitar into the mic at the end of IMP :joy:

is that the one that was part of the Live 2003 tour diary? :wacko:

when Jonny had to play his guitar into the mic at the end of IMP :joy:

Speaking of the Live 2003 Tour Diary, I will be heading to one of its filming locations today! I'll post some pictures in the We Live In a Beautiful World thread.

• Like 1

Yesterday I decided to listen to the radio and the first song I heard was Something Just Like This...After the song was over, I decided to switch to a different radio station and it was playing Viva La Vida ! :grinning: They do play SJLT often because it's new and popular right now but it's always a surprise when they remember their older songs!

Oh and a few weeks ago I heard Life in Technicolor ii on the radio for the first time, I even recorded it because I was so excited :p Lately, radio stations here seem to love Coldplay more than they usually do :heart_eyes:

• Like 2

Ok, lennyrott1, you convinced me. Everything you said is so true. I tend to want to look for others' altruistic motives, and sometimes I wear rose-colored glasses and forget alterior motives. I could not agree more about your description of the essence of Chris Martin at his core, or the risk of this move turning Coldplay into a media juggernaut. They are already in the realm of over-produced and, with Clocks being arguably voice-synced on this tour, getting too slick or plastic for their own good.

this reminded me of:

but i'll just say one more thing about this whole topic: we don't have any actual legit sources for this, right? i could only find this article and one from The Sun... so i think reacting to this like it's the end of everything is an overreaction because it might not even be true. :p and to let something like that affect your opinion of the band members and who they are as artists or as people before there is even confirmation that it's a real thing is kinda doing them a disservice as well. i understand it's not just this one piece of news, but i feel like this sort of thing happens a lot where we tend to jump on the band (or more specifically Chris) for MAYBE doing things in the future whether or not they are actually going to do them.

(by the way, after a quick google i'm finding many articles talking about Chris Daughtry being a potential judge, so maybe they even got the wrong Chris? :p)

We'll see! What I wrote above was a very cynical reaction, through I mostly stand by my disappointment of this "news". iamsue, I think that wearing rose-colored glasses is always good, however. I think we should always try to see the best in people, and I do believe Chris is a very good person. If this is true, maybe his motives are completely benevolent and positive and having nothing to do with fame or money.

And yeah...ultimately these sources aren't super reliable--and even if this is all true, Coldplay could come out with their best record next year out of nowhere and surprise all of us. You just never know!

• Like 1

We'll see! What I wrote above was a very cynical reaction, through I mostly stand by my disappointment of this "news". iamsue, I think that wearing rose-colored glasses is always good, however. I think we should always try to see the best in people, and I do believe Chris is a very good person. If this is true, maybe his motives are completely benevolent and positive and having nothing to do with fame or money.

And yeah...ultimately these sources aren't super reliable--and even if this is all true, Coldplay could come out with their best record next year out of nowhere and surprise all of us. You just never know!

Folks, Chris Daughtry was just announced as a judge....Chris Martin rumours were most definitely some misinterpretation over a "famous" Chris being announced as an American Idol judge :joy:

• Like 4

So I really need to ask this, what do you guys think of this?

First of all it scares me to hear this 'live' version with only the two of them actually 'performing' and not hearing any difference to any live perfomance with the four of them. Since at least 50% of their 'live' concerts consits out of pre-recorded backing tracks these days.

Secondly, to me it feels like some sort of lack in creativity, why not do a beautiful acoustic version like they used to do pre-MX? For instance, Jonny is just standing there with nothing to do for half of the song (at least he pretends to play the keys on a regular live performance with the four of them). Yes they have a semi-acoustic version for HFTW and even Clocks that night, but sometimes I feel like they've become too comfortable with all these backing tracks and they're getting lazy when it comes to creativeness and musicianship. Since it is obvious they intended the audience to have fun, jump around and stuff, but they forget one important aspect which makes them musicians that is actually playing the music. It really bothers me sometimes...

• Like 3

So I really need to ask this, what do you guys think of this?

First of all it scares me to hear this 'live' version with only the two of them actually 'performing' and not hearing any difference to any live perfomance with the four of them. Since at least 50% of their 'live' concerts consits out of pre-recorded backing tracks these days.

Secondly, to me it feels like some sort of lack in creativity, why not do a beautiful acoustic version like they used to do pre-MX? For instance, Jonny is just standing there with nothing to do for half of the song (at least he pretends to play the keys on a regular live performance with the four of them). Yes they have a semi-acoustic version for HFTW and even Clocks that night, but sometimes I feel like they've become too comfortable with all these backing tracks and they're getting lazy when it comes to creativeness and musicianship. Since it is obvious they intended the audience to have fun, jump around and stuff, but they forget one important aspect which makes them musicians that is actually playing the music. It really bothers me sometimes...

It really IS scary how close it sounds to the version with the four of them. Minus Will's singing, the rest sounds almost exacty the same. While VLV always was a track that heavily relies on backing tracks, I wonder how much of their stuff is actually still live nowadays. :( Completely agree with you.

• Like 2