✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Random Coldplay thoughts...

alyssa

Today as we were leaving one restaurant, Talk started playing on their sound system.

As we are still hearing Talk from that restaurant, we walk past another restaurant playing Viva la Vida.

It made me smile at the coincidence, even though it probably just means that vintage Coldplay is popular on Musak playlists these days. Then I feel a bit old.

• Like 7

In my job, I always put some Coldplay songs on the audio system... A lot of people come and go everyday, butt no one seems to recognise any of the songs! Then my coworkers come and put some other bands or just the radio. Such a shame not to find someone who loves the band as much as I do. Anyway, listening to "Animals", "Speed Of Sound" or "Violet Hill" makes work more fun to me... Anyway, I'll continue my research for coldplay fans here in my zone! Over.-

• Like 4

I was showing a friend of mine some Coldplay albums, and when we got to Viva La Vida, he pointed out that maybe the check sign on Chris' shirt means that he was chosen to be king. What do you guys think? I personally found it very interesting and decided to share it with you :)

I was showing a friend of mine some Coldplay albums, and when we got to Viva La Vida, he pointed out that maybe the check sign on Chris' shirt means that he was chosen to be king. What do you guys think? I personally found it very interesting and decided to share it with you :)
I think it's just a "V" from "Viva".
  • Like 5

I just heard Trouble on the radio for the first time ever!!!

That song is a masterpiece.

My best friend who makes fun of Coldplay and is a Radiohead elitist says Trouble is the only song he likes from the band.

On that topic, I've realized lately that I think most people like a number of Coldplay songs, but simply don't like to admit it.

• Like 5

On that topic, I've realized lately that I think most people like a number of Coldplay songs, but simply don't like to admit it.

Sometimes it might not even be about admitting ... 363 days ago, when I saw them live (expecting to know basically no song as I am not a big music fan) it was the moment when I realized I actually knew and liked a lot of their songs, just didn't realize who the artist was

• Like 3

Sometimes it might not even be about admitting ... 363 days ago, when I saw them live (expecting to no basically no song as I am not a big music fan) it was the moment when I realized I actually knew and liked a lot of their songs, just didn't realize who the artist was
A friend of mine hates Coldplay but likes AOAL.

Kinda weird.

• Like 1

Sometimes it might not even be about admitting ... 363 days ago, when I saw them live (expecting to know basically no song as I am not a big music fan) it was the moment when I realized I actually knew and liked a lot of their songs, just didn't realize who the artist was

I completely agree. I have had many conversations with people about Coldplay in the last year, regarding the songs they sang during the AHFOD tour, and more than a handful have said "Oh, that's a Coldplay song?! I didn't even know!"

So, I would say there are likely several people out there that really like Coldplay but just don't know it :)

• Like 1

okay did chris martin really decide to take a huge hiatus/end the band or are they just taking forever to make a new album? I remember him talking about how AHFOD may be the last album but apparently i didnt take him seriously enough lmao

okay did chris martin really decide to take a huge hiatus/end the band or are they just taking forever to make a new album? I remember him talking about how AHFOD may be the last album but apparently i didnt take him seriously enough lmao
It was a misconception that AHFOD is their last album. Chris wanted to state that AHFOD would close a chapter in the band's carrier but it wouldn't end it. It is normal that they are having a break between albums, or they secretly work on something new. The only thing that we know about them for the future is that they will surprise us with something!

• Like 2

It's not taking forever, their tour ended at the end of last year so they're taking some time off now, and making an album takes at least a year anyway I'd say

After every album Chris says something that hints it'll be their last album, but you were very right not to believe him ;) maybe it'll take a bit longer this time with the whole "end of a chapter" thing though

• Like 5

There is always a pretty good chunk of time in between albums (this is really the truth for all bands, especially when they do a big tour with an album). It takes a long time for an album to develop, and honestly right now the guys are probably just enjoying some time to be with their families, sleeping, relaxing a bit, racing cars, buying theaters, etc. They only just got done touring last November, basically working their butts off over two years straight for AHFOD.

If you look at the time between each of their last albums, this "down" time is not abnormal. I can't find the posts because it was quite a while ago, but a few Coldplayers on here were nice enough to make a timeline of albums and tours (if you were the one to do this, feel free to re-post here!). For album years, they go 2000, 2002, 2005, 2008, 2011, 2014, 2015 (nearly 2016). Plus they did their biggest-ever tour with the latest. It's probably safe to assume it'll be at least another year. As creative as they are I am sure they are drawing inspiration and jotting down ideas right now though.

• Like 4

It was a misconception that AHFOD is their last album. Chris wanted to state that AHFOD would close a chapter in the band's carrier but it wouldn't end it. It is normal that they are having a break between albums, or they secretly work on something new. The only thing that we know about them for the future is that they will surprise us with something!

I was thinking about that "end of a chapter" thing... This "chapter", the AHFOD era, was their poppiest ever: A lot of pop sounds in the record and the shows. Could this mean they will left behind this type of pop sound and focus on something more experimental this time maybe? Will the "heavy" guitars return to the albums?

I hope they focus on playing some more experimental things this time on the new album... more guitars hopefully.. I hope they close this chapter to open a new one with some more percussion, bass focused, less echoing but distorted songs... and more symbolism on the lyrics! Not going just LOVE EVERYWHERE straight forward :p

• Like 5

I was thinking about that "end of a chapter" thing... This "chapter", the AHFOD era, was their poppiest ever: A lot of pop sounds in the record and the shows. Could this mean they will left behind this type of pop sound and focus on something more experimental this time maybe? Will the "heavy" guitars return to the albums?

I hope they focus on playing some more experimental things this time on the new album... more guitars hopefully.. I hope they close this chapter to open a new one with some more percussion, bass focused, less echoing but distorted songs... and more symbolism on the lyrics! Not going just LOVE EVERYWHERE straight forward :p

I think the chapter is everything... all of it. Colonel Martin has been doing this stuff for a really long time now and probably wants to finally move on from what happened... but then he has said that before and then been like "one last time"....So I don't know... maybe he has finallly given up the ghost. We can only wait and see....

love

Freya

I totally agree with you! The thing that worries me though is Stargate. I have a feeling looking at their bond with the band that they will remain or they will guide the band to pop producers degenerating them even more. AHFOD was pop but still it wasn't the typical pop meant for today's charts. Maybe they could surprise us with an even poppier sound. If I were them and I had songs like Hypnotised, A L I E N S and AICTAIY and I wanted to write an alternative album, I would keep them for later use. I think KEP was just an Oldplay break before a surprisingly mainstream LP or singles. Only time will tell let's hope they will be more creative this time!
  • Like 2

I totally agree with you! The thing that worries me though is Stargate. I have a feeling looking at their bond with the band that they will remain or they will guide the band to pop producers degenerating them even more. AHFOD was pop but still it wasn't the typical pop meant for today's charts. Maybe they could surprise us with an even poppier sound.

Baby, I'mma need another hit!

Come on Coldplay bring us another single! :)

In a recent interview, Phil Harvey and Dave Holmes said we would probably not see another release until 2021. That seems like a long time but if you think about it, AHFOD and Ghost Stories were back to back albums, and they toured for 2 full years (thankfully because I missed them the first time they came nearby but caught them on the back end).

Regarding their sound, I think they will always evolve to be relevant. This is how they have thrived for 20 years. They have repeatedly said they don't want to be stuck in a single genre. Chris even said last album that sorry but we aren't rock actually. He welcomes the blurring of lines and crossovers of genres. He loves all types of music.

If you look at other long running artists and bands they survived doing the same thing. I've recently realized this with thinking about U2, Beatles / Paul McCartney, David Bowie. So Coldplay fits that mold. Follow the trend, apply your unique magic to it, and enjoy the music and your fans.

• Like 4

In a recent interview, Phil Harvey and Dave Holmes said we would probably not see another release until 2021.

I think they said they wouldn't be touring until 2021 at the earliest, which should mean we will get a release before that point.

And who knows, they said they wouldn't be touring for a while after MX, and we still got an intimate, non-touring album in the meantime!

• Like 3

I think they said they wouldn't be touring until 2021 at the earliest, which should mean we will get a release before that point.

And who knows, they said they wouldn't be touring for a while after MX, and we still got an intimate, non-touring album in the meantime!

True. I equate tour with release since they usual tour right at a release but I get what you mean. We can hope!

I completely agree. I have had many conversations with people about Coldplay in the last year, regarding the songs they sang during the AHFOD tour, and more than a handful have said "Oh, that's a Coldplay song?! I didn't even know!"

So, I would say there are likely several people out there that really like Coldplay but just don't know it :)

Just heard Clocks on the radio, a year ago I would have thought nice song, now I am more like: Oh wow, it's Coldplay! :cool:

Maybe I should watch the video of the concert tonight as it's the anniversary rather than football :p

• Like 3

In a recent interview, Phil Harvey and Dave Holmes said we would probably not see another release until 2021. That seems like a long time but if you think about it, AHFOD and Ghost Stories were back to back albums, and they toured for 2 full years (thankfully because I missed them the first time they came nearby but caught them on the back end).

Regarding their sound, I think they will always evolve to be relevant. This is how they have thrived for 20 years. They have repeatedly said they don't want to be stuck in a single genre. Chris even said last album that sorry but we aren't rock actually. He welcomes the blurring of lines and crossovers of genres. He loves all types of music.

If you look at other long running artists and bands they survived doing the same thing. I've recently realized this with thinking about U2, Beatles / Paul McCartney, David Bowie. So Coldplay fits that mold. Follow the trend, apply your unique magic to it, and enjoy the music and your fans.

Yeah, they did that, they followed the acual trend on the music industry. But what if they decided to go the other way round? I just hope they tried something more experimental, or even raw sounds on the new record, just as VLV had some.

I remember when Linkin Park released A Thousand Suns. At first was such an odd album taking into account it was theirs, and the fans smashed the band saying they've changed; but today it is considered a masterpiece, because how experimental it was and the way it flows until the end. I want Coldplay to do something like that, risk it all by doing something totally different, not just pop... :( anyways I have a strong feeling they're going kinda pop againt in the future...

• Like 2