✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What do you think about Violet Hill?

Lore

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So after 3 more listens.... I feel like marching and banging on things. ;)

HAHAHAHA and my mom just walked by and said, " oh is this Coldplay? I heard you could download some song this morning from them...."

ORLY? Didnt know that mom. :lol:

I really like 'Violet Hill'. I have only heard it once so far and can't wait to hear it again. I got up early (EST) to download but the site crashed. But on the way to bringing my son to school, the DJ announced a brand new song from Coldplay, "Violet Hill". It was 104.5 in Philadelphia. I was so glad I was able to hear it and didn't have to wait until this evening when I got home from work.

Thanks, Coldplay, for the freebie.

hola! estoy tratando de bajar el nuevo tema. ma mandaron el mail desde la pág de coldplay pero no puedo seguir el vínculo. X favor! ayuda!!! me muero por tenerlo

hay una parte del link que no esta vinculado son unos numeros ponlos al link

I´m not upsidedown by it but I like the fact that htey are trying to do something different and I definitely will have to hear it a little more...

so I see this place is alive again! ;-)

I got up at 7:20 this morning and tried desperately to log into this stupid network that governs this campus. after 8 tries I got in, and while I didn't have time to join the insanity, that had already begun, in listening for the single on BBC. Instead I headed off for breakfast and then two my two-hour spanish exam. Afterwards I came straight back, logged on to coldplay.com (network let me in on the first try) the insanity had escalated. As I expected a million new posts and posts inquiring about lyrics, chords etc. then I sprinted over to you-tube and grinned widely as the synthy, white-noise guitar intro MTV had forecasted invaded my ears.

My first reaction to the intro was that Jonny had finally found a song where he could use his effect-heavy, distorted slide intro that we coldplayers had all come to know from the live intros to what if and X&Y on the twisted logic tour.

After the pounding rythmic piano intro was mowed over by a sweep of jonny's slide I found it very interesting how much Chris's vocals had to fight the music, this obviously is intended to resemble the cry's of a soldier(Chris) emerging from a chaotic, roaring warzone. Jonny did not dissapoint in this song, unlike other guitarists, buckland gave power chords the middle finger and produces refreshing new sensations in his roaring distorted effects that scream and moan through the whole song. The solo was highly anticipated simply because, well...it's a solo. and jonny doesn't use them a lot. the curling description mtv gave remin ds me of the bridge of X&Y and I wasn't far off, in the style of the solos to X&Y and talk, he keeps it simple yet effective, milking his newly found tones, but refusing to interrupt the song for his own merit. The solo was just a piece in a puzzle, but somehow it's already lodged itself in my head.

Chris's vocals remind my bro of phil collins, and he's somewhat right. It's a good vocal and Chris, like jonny, jonny hits strides by going out of his comfort zone to create somewhat agitated vocal melody's. I found the maroon 5 comparisons were a tad inaccurate, Chris's voice is a little more sincere and not so tacky and cliche. I think this might be a theme throughout the album, where the music and vocals are less clean, more unbridled and outloud, like splattered paint.

Also, the return to the piano at the end reminded me a little bit of harmless, with the solo piano chords and the sound of Chris's voice.

THIS SONG IS ABOUT COCAINE i guess

HAHAHAHAHAHA! :laugh3::laugh3:

god dammit. this song have similiarities with genesis. superb song genesis is a super band same as coldplay 11/10

Genesis brought me into Coldplay, so I obviously LOVE Genesis as much as CP.

double post

I'm quoting this to take up less space. I totally agree with what you said, very insightful comments. Here are my thoughts (as posted on another thread that's getting less attention):

I have to say this song confirmed one thing for me:

Brian Eno is a genius producer. Chris's voice, the instruments, the transitions, etc were all perfect for the band's sound. It was just as raw as what we heard on Parachutes.

As for the song itself, I have to say I'm a tad underwhelmed. But it doesn't worry me at all, because I'm fully aware the other songs on the album will be totally different from each other in many ways. I think the tune is bordering on TOO simple - there isn't a hook that keeps you coming back for more, like with most Coldplay songs. It's almost like Politik minus the awesome break toward the end with the heartfelt high piano and wailing guitar. The lyrics are interesting but I'm not quite sure what they mean... personally I'm a fan of the more abstract Coldplay lyrics (which I know a lot of people hate) but whatever.

Again, I hope everyone who reads this and hears the song doesn't think I'm distressed or anything. It's a good song, one that I won't skip over when listening to the final CD (unlike a few songs on X&Y, which I never listen to anymore). Just not great. And I fully expect there to be 4 or 5 classic kickass Coldplay songs to be on Viva, ones that will practically define my summer and this stage in my life!

omfg this isn't really what i expected. When i first heard the song which was about 20 minutes ago, i was very curious but when chris started to sing, my curiosity dissapeared. I don't know if you agree with me, but i don't really think its a good song.. i maybe have to listen to it a couple of times more, but i think is for sure that VH won't fare better in the us than speed of sound. remember me.

They would not give their best shot at once...maybe they're saving it for second or third single?

Speed of sound was good but the rest singles, while beeing ok, could not overshadow their first single (at least for me)...

On the other hand in 2002 In my Place was nice, then sweet Scientist,brilliant Clocks and even better GPASUYF.

I hope same goes with Viva la Vida :)

I'm not a huge fan of the power-quarter note and heavy guitar riffs. I know I'll probably take heat for the fact that I don't jump on Coldplay's nuts every time they do something, but I'm just not a fan. It's a little too country for me. I do, however, like the last... 30 seconds or so. Quieter, more ballad-like music suits Coldplay far more.

They would not give their best shot at once...maybe they're saving it for second or third single?

Speed of sound was good but the rest singles, while beeing ok, could not overshadow their first single (at least for me)...

On the other hand in 2002 In my Place was nice, then sweet Scientist,brilliant Clocks and even better GPASUYF.

I hope same goes with Viva la Vida :)

I REALLY HOPE YOU'RE RIGHT!!!

omfg this isn't really what i expected. When i first heard the song which was about 20 minutes ago, i was very curious but when chris started to sing, my curiosity dissapeared. I don't know if you agree with me, but i don't really think its a good song.. i maybe have to listen to it a couple of times more, but i think is for sure that VH won't fare better in the us than speed of sound. remember me.

its not a regular pop song for the charts its the kind of song that grows when you heard it. speed of sound was a good song but for 10 plays then i forget about it. this song is definitly a way better than speed of sound. and dont forget this is coldplay 2.0 and i think i like it more than the other version. :smug: