✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What do you think about Violet Hill?

Lore

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"violet hill" surprised me in a very very goood way, i knew it was gonna be different but i didnt think it was gonna be this amazing way, they just have grown so much since x&y.

music is VIDA and violet hill is living proof of it, VIVA LA VIDA, VIVA LA MUSICA, VIVA VIOLET HILL.

pd. Drums make me think in "sorrow" from pink floyd, and the bass line make me think a little in "run like hell" from pink floy or maybe i'm just crazy!!!

Two things that I noticed as soon as I heard them (apologies if this has already been posted, it probably has)...

1) When Chris and Simon Pegg stood in for Zane Lowe back in Jan 2007 Chris said he had a great name for a band: Carnival of Idiots. Obviously that's a lyric from VH now so he can't've finished Violet Hill before then.

2) Also, the line "captain of some sinking ship" is probably taken from Bucket for a Crown ("I don't want to be the captain of a sinking ship") which was written on 26.11.06 (well, the night before the Mencap Union Chaple gig).

So, basically I think Coldplay wrote Violet Hill during that period - winter 2006/7. It also links in with all the winter/snow references in the song.

That is all.

wonderful

well

the first time that I listened to it, I was not sure 'bout what to say, but now, that I've been listening to the song during hours :shocked2:, I love it :)

it's different to all of the songs that CP did before, but never they're gonna lose their style, sound and all the good things that they've got in all their songs

..-.-.-.-.-.Viva La Vida-.-.-.-.-..

aún me emociona saber que han elegido para su cuarto cd un título en español TT_TT!!

:heart:

=D

I don't think VH is their best song, but it's still pretty sweet.

The opening of the song sounds like the radio waves Jupiter sends off into space. This alone makes the song awesome, for me anyways. I love the guitar solo in the middle portion of the song, but other than that, the middle doesn't do much for me. The final verse has that sweet classic Coldplay sound we all know, which is still good to hear. :)

All in all, I like VH, but I hope this isn't the best song on Viva. If that were the case, I'd be a bit disappointed.

What do you think of Violet Hill?

0_0 *Gasp* ABSOLUTELY..... LOVE.... VIOLET HILL !!!!

The synthesizer spacey opening, the deep (but still some falsetto) vocals, Jonny's fuzz guitar effects,but most of all the heartstopping lugubrious piano at the end with Chris singing.

Been reading a lot of criticism for VH but Chris said that not everyone is going to like the new album, might lose some fans and such.

would be neat if the vid for VH was black and white with certain objects coloured violet (similar to the cool visual effect they had with those yellow dumpsters in the Live 2003 Tour Diary). But maybe they'll decide on colour.

Wonder what the boys will come up with.... and wonder if Jonny will use a painted guitar now!

3 years just flew by! CAN'T WAIT FOR THE 4th ALBUM IN JUNE! YIPPEEEEE!!!!!

This is one of the few Coldplay songs I can headbang... ever so slightly to. :laugh3:

Headbang isn't the right word tho, I don't think. :laugh3:

I was thinking of that earlier too. :stunned: I was hopping around my room punching my fists in the air and doing the devil horns...to Coldplay. :P

I was trying to explain the song to my friend and it went something like, "It's like muse-arcade fire-coldplay-esque." :P

Yeah, I didn't get anything sent to my e-mail address when I input my info at coldplay.com. So I just downloaded it via torrent at demonoid. I def gotta listen to it a few dozen more times. Didn't like it so much at first listen. Didn't sound very Coldplay to me, but it is Coldplay and one listen is never enough to judge a new song and one new song is not enough to judge a whole album.

This song has really grown on me. I was completely blown away at first impression (the distorted guitar sounds were different from anything I've ever heard before from Coldplay), and I still think Violet Hill is amazing.

I can't see why people think Chris Martin's vocals are annoying on this song, I actually really like them.

29th April. It’s 6:30 a.m. (12:30 p.m. GMT) and I’m lying in my bed awake, neither work nor school makes me wake up this early but Coldplay did, I was not planning it I just woke up against my will… I know the song is already on the webpage for downloading but the computer is in another room and I’m feeling too sleepy to go so I decided to listen to the radio and see if they play it, and thankfully they did at that time, after they announce they’ll play it, I’m completely awake in two seconds and so started the song… it starts with than environmental sound and then that extremely familiar voice but at the same time it sounded really different, and after the “…white snow” a heavy guitar riff “tatan-tatan”… OMG is it really Jonny’s guitar???…. It’s sounds sooooooooo different…. I continue listenting and I really like what I’m hearing although I’m not able to make an opinion at the end of it… definitely I need to hear it again. I downloaded and put it on my ipod and I listened to it most of the day.

The truth is that I’m still not sure of my opinion of it… definitely I like it, but in some moments I think “wow this is completely awesome, these guys are geniuses” and in other moments I think “Yeah it’s good but it’s nothing really amazing and in fact I think it’s too pretentious”… I think I need a couple of days to completely processing it, but I think I’ll be a something in the middle of my two opinions.

My fav part, the bam bam bam bam with the drums, yeah I think it’s nothing really original I have heard it on another songs, in fact is like the beginning of Politik only than slower, but anyway it’s still cool and hearing it live should sound really great (I can even imaging the lights on the stage going on and off, and everyone nodding their heads).

Probably the part that I like less is the general rhythm of the song, it sounds like the Mtv review said “Maroon5-ish” and in fact it reminded me also a little bit of Gym Class Heroes song Cupid Chockehold’s chorus. :P

Definitely it’s a good first single, I’m not really fan of Coldplay’s first singles, I have though that they always sounds like a bad copy of the most successful song of the previous album (In My Place – Yellow, Speed of Sound – Clocks) and fortunately this doesn’t sound like anything in X&Y… well, after hearing Violet Hill many times I realized that the end of the song is very similar to the end of Fix You… but I think that’s the only part :P

As my final comment I can say that after hearing this, I think VLVODAAHF will be an excellent album, I like the direction that they are taking, and like on the past albums I suposse they will use the strongest track for the 2nd or 3rd single… And I hope that Coldplay detractors stop saying things like “They are pop music” or “They always sound the same”… because Violet Hill showed that neither of those two things are true.

Wow, Laura, you've got quite a deep analytical mind there!:)

I always think what other songs this sounds like - and how the music is always an Oliver-Twist sort of thing with them. It's reminiscent of Indian Nation from the 60's, or maybe an old Wings tune - "Live and let Die" used in a Bond film back yonder.. But with their trade-mark twist, so you never quite know where it's headed! All I can say is "Well Done!!".:hat:

seriously if people keep comparing this song and coldplay music to completely SHITTY bands, i'm not gunna come to this site anymore. it's absolutely disgusting. coldplay and gym class heroes are in no way whatsoever on the same level. there is no comparison to be made. i seriously am on the verge of puking. and like... i know i sound rude and we were just talking about how things are getting out of hand in that other thread... but this is one thing i can't keep my mouth shut about. i think when the whole album comes out im just not going to read any threads with opinions because seeing these comparisons seriously makes me feel sick. (not even just using the expression)