✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What do you think about Violet Hill?

Lore

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have to say that when i was listening the first time on BBC1 this morning, i was like "oooooh this is so vintage coldplay" until about 0:53 (on the DL version, not the radio edit...so like 0:20 or something on the radio edit), when jonny comes in with that chord of distorted guitar. then i sat up straighter in surprise and instantly rethought my expectations.

haha, that makes me laugh now in retrospect.

i also loooove the way that chris sings the last word of the verses, like "low" and "below", like they have three syllables. that's my favorite part of the whole song :D

i have to say that when i was listening the first time on BBC1 this morning, i was like "oooooh this is so vintage coldplay" until about 0:53 (on the DL version, not the radio edit...so like 0:20 or something on the radio edit), when jonny comes in with that chord of distorted guitar. then i sat up straighter in surprise and instantly rethought my expectations.

haha, that makes me laugh now in retrospect.

i also loooove the way that chris sings the last word of the verses, like "low" and "below", like they have three syllables. that's my favorite part of the whole song :D

I was listening to that as I read it. Spooky :stunned: :P

I don't know what all the negative fuss is about, this song is great. The best single I've heard from anyone in a while. It's fresh, it's new, it's the dawn of a new era for Coldplay. Well done boys.

+1

Couldn't say it better myself!

And awesome sig and av, btw. :P

The novelty of Violet Hill has gone.

At the end of the day the lyrics leave a lot to be desired, the song structure is boring and poorly edited leaving a bass line that would fit nicely on any Kaiser Chiefs song. Before you think that's a good thing, it isn't - Kaiser Chiefs are shit.

Violet Hill was a safe bet for Coldplay, leading nicely on to 'bridge the gap' between X&Y and Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends.

If this was the influence Eno had on the band I am starting to wonder what else VLVODAAHF has to offer. Be afraid, be very afraid.

It pains me to say it but this was not worth the wait.

Coldplay are old, tired and have run out of ideas.

I guess I always have Parachutes and A Rush Of Blood To The Head.

I know I might have already posted my opinion on this song, but I was wondering... does anyone think it would stand much better when listened to in the context of the album? Don't get me wrong, I really like it, but it feels like we've been thrown in the deep end a little bit. Its almost like releasing Twisted Logic as a single for me - its dark and quite heavy, and it has a similar kind of grittiness to VH. But it doesn't seem like single material. I don't know, what do you guys think? Its kinda hard for me to explain.

I still love it though :D I think I would currently give it 8/10.

I agree. I think one of the reasons this was the first single is because its barely over 3 minutes long (not including the synth intro). It's not very often a CP song comes along and it's under 4 minutes.

When Jonny's guitar really kicked in I had that same smile/grin. I was just like "Yeahh, this is Coldplay, but on a whole new level". I'm so happy for them. Even from just this one song I can sense they've evolved as musicians so much from X&Y. I can't contain my excitement and I'm just so happy for C, J, G, W right now.

I LOVE it, 10/10 :D

btw info about violet hill being a free download and their free gigs was JUST on my local news station! :shocked2:

along with something else about Britney Spears...

I knew it! Your local news station ALSO thinks Violet Hill sounds like Toxic! I told you guys!

(lol)

i don't know what to think. I mean it's great to hear a new song, and i think the lyrics are very good. I think since this feels like their going in a new direction i don't know really what to think, so i'm a bit confused and I think having to only hear one song just adds confusion because i have nothing to base it off of.

I do like the song with the lyrics and how it's darker, but i think listening to it more and getting the album will make a difference