✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What do you think about Violet Hill?

Lore

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me or do you guys get a kind of Phill Collins vibe? Haha I mean I do love the song, so powerful, so dark, yet so in a way upbeat. Awesome.

I know exactly what you mean dude, haha! I thought that a moment ago!

Violet Hill is great, not what I expected but great!

It makes a change for Chris to be singing about something other than space, pieces of puzzles or death... haha...

It's definitely not what I was expecting. After the first listen I was a little disappointed. I've listened to it a couple more times and I really really like it. I love the ending with chris and the piano. I was looking at the album cover and listening to the song and they do seem to fit.

It does kinda sound U2-ish, and it's definitely one of their....roughest? I was surprised. I wish it was a little longer though. Without the intro it's almost 3 minutes. Good song though.

I remembering tunning into Steve Lamacq's show when Coldplay (well Chris and Jon) released Speed of Sound. I was excited but the song wasn't my favorite.

Violent Hill - the complete opposite feeling. I've loved it as soon as it played. I think live - this would be a great opening song...

It's taking me a bit to get my head around it it's so different, but it's good different.

I love how it sort of sounds like it came out of a different time and world, like they wrote it about some soldier long ago. Reminds me of some of the old war torn folk songs that are still floating around here if you know where to look.

ok, when i was trying to post here in the "great violet hill explosion of 4/29/08," there was so much webtraffic that i don't think it went through. so here i go.

when i first listened to it on radio 1, i was a bit surprised. i was expecting something different, something less X&Y-ish. that's not to say that i didn't like it or anything...it just threw me off a bit. so i waited until jo whiley played it again, and then i listened to the recording of the radio show (i only JUST managed to get it from the site after classes!) and popped it on my ipod before breakfast.

but while i was walking to class etc, i fell way more in love with it. i probably looked like an idiot, walking around campus with such a huge grin on my face, but i couldn't help but think "I'M LISTENING TO THE NEW COLDPLAY SINGLE, AND NO ONE ELSE ON CAMPUS IS!!" but i think its an absolutely brilliant song, a really great effort. i was just hoping for more of an AROBTTH or parachutes sound than X&Y, but i can't make judgement on that until i hear the entire album, can i?

so besides the fact that i was hoping for more simple, back-to-basics, paired-down music...i think violet hill is a great piece of work. i've already racked up 10 listens in 5 hours. that's damn good for spending most of that time in class! :D

i haven't read through all the posts yet, but anyone else think the lyrics are REALLY political?! :dance:

Hi amigos, I adoooooooore the title of the album :rolleyes:. Very poetic and optimistic, just what the world needs right now :kiss:

I think Violet hill is the best song of coldplay. At least their best single. I mean "don't panic", "trouble", "in my place", "the scientist" are decent but none of these songs compares to Violet hill. The moment i listened to violet hill, i forgot everything about their previous songs. Its a new start, a new light, a new era. Chris has never sung better and the lyrics are so deep, they make Goethe look like Enrique Iglesias. The melody is so melancholic, i felt like crying :( The last time i felt like that was probably listening to Mozart. The guitar solo is also fantastic, que emocion... If the entire album is as good as this single, it will definitely be one of the best pieces of art ever, I simply can't wait to listen to viva la vida (loca :P). Forget Parachutes and AROBTTH, they were just minor works. Violet hill is history.

its the most self held, compact song i think the band have ever done... hard to say whether its better than others they've done because its so different, still has a classic johnnny solo in there but i think its a direction that coldplay are smart to go, as i think if they continue to write like this, we'll get the best material out of them. to date anyway.

Hi amigos, I adoooooooore the title of the album :rolleyes:. Very poetic and optimistic, just what the world needs right now :kiss:

I think Violet hill is the best song of coldplay. At least their best single. I mean "don't panic", "trouble", "in my place", "the scientist" are decent but none of these songs compares to Violet hill. The moment i listened to violet hill, i forgot everything about their previous songs. Its a new start, a new light, a new era. Chris has never sung better and the lyrics are so deep, they make Goethe look like Enrique Iglesias. The melody is so melancholic, i felt like crying The last time i felt like that was probably listening to Mozart. The guitar solo is also fantastic, que emocion... If the entire album is as good as this single, it will definitely be one of the best pieces of art ever, I simply can't wait to listen to viva la vida (loca ). Forget Parachutes and AROBTTH, they were just minor works. Violet hill is history.

If this is any indication of the album, it has all the depth of some of the greatest albums ever recorded. Records like Supertramp's Crime Of The Century and The Smiths' The Queen Is Dead are coming to mind.

you should stop with the heavy drugs,seriously.