✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What do you think about Violet Hill?

Lore

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG, I just listened to it. Amazing, theyve done it again. Its like a cross between recent Radiohead (Bodysnatchers, maybe), the Beatles, and something weve never heard before. That guitar solo was BRILLIANT no matter how simple. If the rest of the album is even close to this good, it will make all the previous three seem like they werent even trying. I love the sound and Chris Martins voice was awesome. I also love the little repetition of "If you love me, won't you let me know" instead of just a standard 4 line chorus. Great work. It also at the end reminded me of Square One (one quiet instrument, chris singing softly, and the first mention of the song title).

Way to go guys!!:):rolleyes::cool::smug::laugh3::lol::D

I don't know what all the negative fuss is about, this song is great. The best single I've heard from anyone in a while. It's fresh, it's new, it's the dawn of a new era for Coldplay. Well done boys.

Here, here. Finally a voice of reason! Thank you.:)

It sounds like its being played in the other room upstairs, a little weak and flat imo.

Instead of growing into the song, i more and more dislike it the more i hear it.

well, now i know what chris said that there will be a lot of people disappointed. its sad cause its a excellent song but who cares i love it.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! I love the song! It's so catchy, and while listening to it in school, I could not believe I was listening to VIOLET HILL!!!!!!! :D

And I totally get the whole 'stomping' thing everyone was talking about!! :lol:

I'm SO pumped for the whole album. I don't think it's 'un-coldplay', but rather a transition of their work. Can't wait!!

omfg this isn't really what i expected. When i first heard the song which was about 20 minutes ago, i was very curious but when chris started to sing, my curiosity dissapeared. I don't know if you agree with me, but i don't really think its a good song.. i maybe have to listen to it a couple of times more, but i think is for sure that VH won't fare better in the us than speed of sound. remember me.

I wasnt overly impressed its a ok song but not one that makes me go wow. Personally I think its lacking melody which is the reason I love Coldplay, it sounds to simple to me I know Coldplay have always gone with simple stuff but to me this a bit to simple and a bit all over the place. The drum beat isnt anything special at all compared to X&Y some of the drums in that were shit hot. Ive listened to it almost 10 times and still hasnt grown on me yet, all there singles they have realeased before ive loved from the very start even the hardest part but this for some reason hasnt dont know why. I did have my reserves about this new album. It isnt a bad song at all just hasnt clicked with me. Who knows maybe it will, I for one hope it does and I do hope the rest of the songs do to.

Sort of an inadequate set of poll options there. :P

It's far from their best song ever, and unusually dark for a Coldplay song, but very good. And since they don't often pick their best songs for singles (why on earth is White Shadows not a single?!), this should be a great album. :D

...And I guess they really have decided to go with a title even longer and more awkward than "A Rush Of Blood To The Head." It's gonna be hard to advertise it with such a long name!

I think the reason people are disappointed is because it's been built up so much.

It's not terrible, it's different and they've tried to give us something new. And they've succeeded.

Speed of Sound was so formulaic, this is nothing like that. I love it and I can't wait to hear the rest of the album.

Very nice, very nice indeed. I wouldn't say it's their best, but it's certainly up there.

It's a good sign that, after listening to it only once, you're humming it continuously, which is what I'm doing.

Can't wait for the rest!

I think the reason people are disappointed is because it's been built up so much.

It's not terrible, it's different and they've tried to give us something new. And they've succeeded.

Speed of Sound was so formulaic, this is nothing like that. I love it and I can't wait to hear the rest of the album.

Exactly. When you build something up so much you will get disappointed easily.

It'll be a grower, but don't hate on it! We just got it, people. Hehe.

I'm liking it :)

great beginm chris voice is good, and great jonny solo yeah i love it.

Yeah it's like their best song

^but properly i can't choose this option, and still i haven't listened the album :\...

may be it don't goes with the expetatives that some people had about their new work, but i had liked it anyways... although right now i'm thinking and trying to find on it the 'colourful' thing that the 'spanish influence' had brought to their LP4... :thinking:

btw the begining reminds me to 3 other bands/musicians: Pink Floyd (it was already said), The Police (their theme Zenyatta Monyatta (it beging a bit similar) and Bob Marley (Natural Mystic) or may be even a bit similar to Mike Oldfield :idea2:, i love them and so i have to like Violet Hill too :D

(must pay attenting to the lyrics on the next listenings. :) but them will be great as always.

my fave parts are:

When the future's architectured

By a carnival of idiots on show

You'd better lie low

I don't want to be a soldier

With the captain of some sinking ship

With snow, far below

great work :thumbsup:

I know I might have already posted my opinion on this song, but I was wondering... does anyone think it would stand much better when listened to in the context of the album? Don't get me wrong, I really like it, but it feels like we've been thrown in the deep end a little bit. Its almost like releasing Twisted Logic as a single for me - its dark and quite heavy, and it has a similar kind of grittiness to VH. But it doesn't seem like single material. I don't know, what do you guys think? Its kinda hard for me to explain.

I still love it though :D I think I would currently give it 8/10.

I know I might have already posted my opinion on this song, but I was wondering... does anyone think it would stand much better when listened to in the context of the album? Don't get me wrong, I really like it, but it feels like we've been thrown in the deep end a little bit. Its almost like releasing Twisted Logic as a single for me - its dark and quite heavy, and it has a similar kind of grittiness to VH. But it doesn't seem like single material. I don't know, what do you guys think? Its kinda hard for me to explain.

I still love it though :D I think I would currently give it 8/10.

oooh, that's a good point. for some reason i hadn't said it in so many words in my head, and that makes a lot of sense to me. with "speed of sound" as the first single off X&Y, i feel like they let us get into the change slowly, like they gave us the most AROBTTH song off the album for our first experience of it. not that they SHOULD have done that same thing for today, i'm just thinking that it very well could be a weird choice for a single. "thrown in the deep end" is a good way to think of it, i think :D

oooh, that's a good point. for some reason i hadn't said it in so many words in my head, and that makes a lot of sense to me. with "speed of sound" as the first single off X&Y, i feel like they let us get into the change slowly, like they gave us the most AROBTTH song off the album for our first experience of it. not that they SHOULD have done that same thing for today, i'm just thinking that it very well could be a weird choice for a single. "thrown in the deep end" is a good way to think of it, i think :D
Yes, thats exactly what I'm getting at. Even from Parachutes > AROBTTH, I think that In My Place was the most "Parachutes" like song on the album, and therefor a good choice as the first single. I mean, can you imagine if they released Politik as the first single? Exactly. But maybe VH is the most "commercial"/"mainstream" song on the album, and in that case, we haven't heard nothin yet.

I'm glad to see someone was thinking the same as me though :wink:

Violet Hill is an excellent, amazing, great song in my opinion. As soon as it started, I had a mad grin on my face. The lyrics are unlike anything I've heard from Chris before, where Will may once have gone for the regular 4/4 bass drum and snare pattern he didn't, Jonny's guitar was just incredible. Can't wait to hear thr rest of the album. I am very happy!

I personally think it's great. And if this is what the whole album's going to be like, than it might be my favorite of the 4. I love the raw edginess.

And it's seems like Chris' lyrics have matured and...i can't explain it....just know that I think the lyrics are great. :D

The lyrics are damn simple.....