✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What do you think about Violet Hill?

Lore

This Summer ...

Hey Folks:

I think Violet Hill is just the kickoff we all need for a great summer. Having now listened to it five times through without interruption, I believe our collective socks are about to be blown off when the cd is released. Violet Hill has an eerie structure that rolls through a lot of music clutter that is currently on the radio. I like the unique hooks, jarring guitar, striking keyboards, thunderous bass and saving the best for last ... the smashing drums/cymbals.

Since April 29th is now the official kick-off for summer 2008, I think we are in for a great summer ... of Coldplay at least. If the fellas are bringing this much heat in their first release, global warming could be turned up a couple of degrees on the celsius scale alone. I don't know about you all, but I fear for the state of the world's glaciers after feeling and hearing the heat in this song alone.

The boys are back,

TB

:D

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi amigos, I adoooooooore the title of the album :rolleyes:. Very poetic and optimistic, just what the world needs right now :kiss:

I think Violet hill is the best song of coldplay. At least their best single. I mean "don't panic", "trouble", "in my place", "the scientist" are decent but none of these songs compares to Violet hill. The moment i listened to violet hill, i forgot everything about their previous songs. Its a new start, a new light, a new era. Chris has never sung better and the lyrics are so deep, they make Goethe look like Enrique Iglesias. The melody is so melancholic, i felt like crying :( The last time i felt like that was probably listening to Mozart. The guitar solo is also fantastic, que emocion... If the entire album is as good as this single, it will definitely be one of the best pieces of art ever, I simply can't wait to listen to viva la vida (loca :P). Forget Parachutes and AROBTTH, they were just minor works. Violet hill is history.

awesome song, its funny to see in the web there are many reviews , people that never liked coldplay are trying to convince themselves comparing with oasis? wtf or u2? where i dont listen the similarities(maybe brian eno produce that). i think if we can compare this song with another artist is phill collins/genesis.

does anybody else think the very end piano bit of "violet hill" sounds shockingly like the killers "enterlude" and "exitlude" off sam's town?

it creeped me out on first listen, even.

Never liked The Killers and have not heard of it,but now that you've mentioned about the similarity i'm interested :D

Yeah, I think it's pretty good, definitely different than any other coldplay song and definitely darker like they said. But I like how its more guitar driven, very bluesy and heartfelt without Chris even belting out any screams or falsettos. Overall good song but I feel this won't be the best song on the album. At least I'm hoping that's the case.

first the song is good...but not the best coldplay has every done...i am pretty sure the album will have much stronger songs

second....it really reminds me of the Homecoming martin did for kanye west...same vibe to it....i like it but i am looking forward to hearing the other tracks......i do think they have gotten back to basics on this record....

i look forward to the record.....this song is good..but it doesn't wow me

Just from the sound of VH, I think Johny was given the go ahead to do his own thing on some of the new stuff, bringing him back to the roots of when he was into My Bloody Valentine and stuff like that.....

The sound as a whole is different but the guitar parts are the most changed....which I like

thats what is prob the hardest thing to get used to, the new guitar sound.. I really like it in the part before the chorus, and the "solo" riff part. But I wish the song had more guitar on it. it is very bassy, which i think is another thing that makes it so different.

Overall I do like the song, I just wasn't expecting the change like this, reading all the reviews and stuff i really thought they had gone more radioheadish with the songs. I dont hear much experimentalism in the song, its just different.

I dont hear much experimentalism in the song, its just different.
You hit the nail on the head for me. While I do like the song quite a bit, I'm hoping for some more radical moves on the other tracks. This just seems like a particularly dark Coldplay song. I do love the guitar, though.

I was hoping for something with lots of guitar and some really haunting lyrics/vocals. I think we got that by the bucketload.

I've heard this track about a dozen times this afternoon, and it truly gets better after every time!

Well done Coldplay, you've done it again. If this wasn't a free download, I'd put alot of money on it becoming a Number 1.