✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay on 60 Minutes | Sunday 8 Feb | 7pm ET/PT on CBS [FULL VIDEO IN FIRST POST]

Christa42

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow so it's finally gonna happen. I remember it being mentioned way back when they did Austin City Limits TV show in 2005 that 60 Minutes was "doing a story on them" and where there filming, but it never aired. So they have been working on it for some time. It should a nice and in depth piece. Hope they got Anderson Cooper to reports on this.

THEY NEED TO COME BACK TO AUSTIN CITY LIMITS!!!!!!!

have they really been working on it for like 3 years??? what could they have possibly been doing on it that would take that long? oh well, i guess that will just make it 3 years better! :D

Coldplay Entertains Students' Questions (Article 2005)

From WikiColdplay

Jump to:navigation, search

Mccallum1.jpg magnify-clip.png

Mccallum1.jpg

Coldplay lets McCallum teens into 'ACL' sound check Singer Chris Martin and the other three members of Coldplay had answered questions from a select group of McCallum High School music students for about half an hour after sound check for Friday's "Austin City Limits" taping when the show's producer asked Martin to leave the teenagers with one final thought.

"Here's something," the affable pop star said, raising a finger in the air, as if deep in thought. "Matthew McConaughey's in his 30s, right, and there's absolutely no hair on his chest. How did that happen?"

If this whole mega rock star thing doesn't work out, the 28-year-old Martin can fall back on a career as a professional wisecracker. Any kids starstruck about meeting the four-time Grammy winners, who headlined the ACL Festival in September, were soon put at ease with talk of whether Martin was too old to get his ears pierced, how one of the band's crew members insists on wearing a "ridiculous" cowboy hat in Texas and how the band's two goals are to make the best records they can and to not get fat.

"As soon as you get a record deal, people are always handing you cake," Martin explained.

The singer stressed that it's important for any new band to make a list of its goals. "We had a 10-point program, and No. 10 was to get a record deal," Martin said. "What was No. 1?"

"Find a drummer," said Coldplay's Will Champion, who got the job.

Mccallum2.jpg magnify-clip.png

Mccallum2.jpg

The "Grammy Soundcheck" program, organized by the local chapter of the National Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences, allowed 32 students to watch Coldplay's rehearsal with special guest Michael Stipe of REM. The band then answered the teens' questions.

"Hi, there," Martin said when the students in white "Grammy Soundcheck" T-shirts filed into the bleachers in the iconic "ACL" soundstage on the University of Texas campus. "I'm so glad you're wearing clean T-shirts. We had one group wearing dirty T-shirts, and it was a disgrace."

After Stipe and Coldplay performed a song and the kids, who'd been told to keep quiet, didn't clap, Martin said, "That must've been terrible. There was no response." When the students applauded at the end of a version of REM's "Nightswimming," Martin hit his head on the piano. "No, that was rubbish. I (messed) it up."

For senior Liz Arnold of McCallum's Fine Arts Academy, which received a $7,000 grant this year as one of four Grammy Signature Schools in Texas, seeing her musical heroes as more human than rock god was a welcome revelation. "I thought they'd look at us as pests, taking up their busy time," she said, "but they've been very inviting. They made us very relaxed."

The time went by so fast, and the students were so intent on confining the talk to music, that no one asked about Gwyneth Paltrow.

But no doubt "60 Minutes," with a crew in Austin following Coldplay, will bring up Martin's famous wife.

"ACL" Producer Terry Lickona said the demand for Coldplay tickets was the greatest in the show's history, even though it was booked less than two weeks earlier. For the first time ever, an episode was simulcast, to an audience gathered at nearby Hogg Auditorium.

The program is scheduled to air on KLRU on Dec. 17, the quickest turnaround for "ACL."

Source: http://www.statesman.com

:D

Ian had the article stored on Wiki

Thanxx for the tip Christa!!!!

I just went to 60 minutes page and this is what it says about the upcoming show

Sunday, Feb. 8, 2009 Programming Note

SAVING FLIGHT 1549 - Hero pilot Capt. Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger and his flight crew together reveal for the first time the sights, sounds and physical sensations they experienced as they pulled off an incredible water landing last month, saving the lives of all 155 people aboard US Airways Flight 1549. Katie Couric reports. Michael Radutzky, Tanya Simon and Lori Beecher are the producers. THIS IS A EXTRA-LENGTH STORY

COLDPLAY - The British rock group that has taken its place among the most popular bands in the world gives 60 MINUTES a rare look inside its world that includes a candid interview with frontman Chris Martin. Steve Kroft reports. John Hamlin is the producer.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/1998/07/08/60minutes/main13502.shtml

Now I'm not sure whether I'm looking forward more to

1. 60 Minutes, which I'd given up watching years ago when it gave up journalism and became tabloid TV, or

2) the Grammy's, which, up till about two years ago, was reliably a good evening's entertainment.

Don't look for anything new on 60 Minutes about the Satriani suit. Their lawyers will be telling them exactly what to say and not to say. (And Chris is such a good boy when it comes to doing as he's told by the corporation (tongue planted firmly in cheek!))

A Look At The "Mystery" Of Coldplay

(CBS) It's written right there on the wall of the studio where Coldplay writes and records its hit songs under the title Band Rules: "6. Always keep the mystery. Not many interviews."

And it is rare for the multiple-Grammy nominated band to open up for the media, but front man Chris Martin bends the rules when he gives correspondent Steve Kroft a candid interview and lets 60 Minutes cameras into their private studio. The result is a unique look inside one of the world’s most popular musical acts that will be broadcast this Sunday, Feb. 8, at 7 p.m. ET/PT.

"I feel like I’ve shown you my underpants," Martin laughs, "This is private stuff," he tells Kroft, in the room where the band writes its hit songs.

Rule 6 went out the window for this interview. Martin reveals the secret to their success, a success that saw "Viva la Vida," the band's latest platinum album - its fourth in a row - sell seven million copies. "We rely more on enthusiasm than actual skill," says Martin. "Whatever you do, do it enthusiastically and people will like it more." People like it. Their world tour is completely sold out and "Viva la Vida" has garnered seven Grammy nominations, including best album, best song and best record.

"I can't dance like Usher. I can't sing like Beyonce. I can't write songs like Elton John, but we can do the best we can with what we've got," he tells Kroft.

In addition to concert footage and visits to the bands favorite pub and the apartment the band once lived in, the segment also includes brief interviews with band members Jonny Buckland, Will Champion and Guy Berryman - musicians who prefer to let Martin do the talking for Coldplay. So he does. He tells Kroft about the band's work habits, his feelings about being front man on stage and off, about him and his wife, Gwyneth Paltrow, being the target of the tabloids, and a plagiarism lawsuit brought against the band.

"One week you're divorced, the next your band's broken up," says Martin about the tabloid stories on him he says are not true. "It's terrible. I'm glad I'm not me," he says, echoing a Bob Dylan line. On the lawsuit, he says, "If you know it’s not true then you just have to say, 'I'm really sorry, but it isn't true.' The other alternative is give like a seven hour rant about why it isn't true and how it's just not possible…its best to say we would never do that," says Martin.

Produced by John Hamlin

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/02/06/60minutes/main4780234.shtml

A Look At The "Mystery" Of Coldplay

60 Minutes' Steve Kroft Gets A Rare Glimpse At The Inner Workings Of The Popular Band

(CBS) It's written right there on the wall of the studio where Coldplay writes and records its hit songs under the title Band Rules: "6. Always keep the mystery. Not many interviews."

And it is rare for the multiple-Grammy nominated band to open up for the media, but front man Chris Martin bends the rules when he gives correspondent Steve Kroft a candid interview and lets 60 Minutes cameras into their private studio. The result is a unique look inside one of the world’s most popular musical acts that will be broadcast this Sunday, Feb. 8, at 7 p.m. ET/PT.

"I feel like I’ve shown you my underpants," Martin laughs, "This is private stuff," he tells Kroft, in the room where the band writes its hit songs.

Rule 6 went out the window for this interview. Martin reveals the secret to their success, a success that saw "Viva la Vida," the band's latest platinum album - its fourth in a row - sell seven million copies. "We rely more on enthusiasm than actual skill," says Martin. "Whatever you do, do it enthusiastically and people will like it more." People like it. Their world tour is completely sold out and "Viva la Vida" has garnered seven Grammy nominations, including best album, best song and best record.

"I can't dance like Usher. I can't sing like Beyonce. I can't write songs like Elton John, but we can do the best we can with what we've got," he tells Kroft.

In addition to concert footage and visits to the bands favorite pub and the apartment the band once lived in, the segment also includes brief interviews with band members Jonny Buckland, Will Champion and Guy Berryman - musicians who prefer to let Martin do the talking for Coldplay. So he does. He tells Kroft about the band's work habits, his feelings about being front man on stage and off, about him and his wife, Gwyneth Paltrow, being the target of the tabloids, and a plagiarism lawsuit brought against the band.

"One week you're divorced, the next your band's broken up," says Martin about the tabloid stories on him he says are not true. "It's terrible. I'm glad I'm not me," he says, echoing a Bob Dylan line. On the lawsuit, he says, "If you know it’s not true then you just have to say, 'I'm really sorry, but it isn't true.' The other alternative is give like a seven hour rant about why it isn't true and how it's just not possible…its best to say we would never do that," says Martin.

<embed src='http://www.cbs.com/thunder/swf30can10cbsnews/rcpHolderCbs-3-4x3.swf' FlashVars='link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ecbsnews%2Ecom%2Fvideo%2Fwatch%2F%3Fid%3D4780464n&partner=news&vert=News&autoPlayVid=false&releaseURL=http://release.theplatform.com/content.select?pid=I6ykSuiVN42Whe_ihiJfV7JfJGHDMgvX&name=cbsPlayer&allowScriptAccess=always&wmode=transparent&embedded=y&scale=noscale&rv=n&salign=tl' allowFullScreen='true' width='425' height='324' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer'></embed><br/><a href='http://www.cbs.com'>Watch CBS Videos Online</a>

Coldplay front man Chris Martin gives Steve Kroft a tour their private studio and shows him the "rules." 60 Minutes, Sunday, Feb. 8, at 7

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/02/06/60minutes/main4780234.shtml

:dance: