✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Florence + The Machine

It was that way for me after the first listen, but as you know, first listens of any album are deceptive. So while some flaws have jumped out since then, I still place it slightly above Lungs, since I pointed out some problems with Lungs a few posts back. Ceremonials does flow a little better than Lungs, although the run of NLMG-BD-LTL is pretty flat without any momentum shift ("Lover to Lover" easily being the best of these 3, while I would have substituted the other 2 for "Strangeness and Charm" and "Bedroom Hymns" respectively).

"Bedroom Hymns" might be my new favorite Florence B-side, and not just because I heard it get soundchecked the day it was written. :laugh3:

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I mentioned in another thread that I live in a "podunk" town where the nearest reputable music store is 45 minutes away.

Well, I was able to get MX the day it was released at my local Walmart at 8:00 am, so why would Florence's new album be any different?? Seeing as its the day after her album was officially released, I figured I'd pick it up along with the grocery shopping. Here's what ensued:

Me to Random Electronics Walmart Employee: Hey, I couldn't find Florence and the Machine's newest album on your new release shelf. Do you have it?

REWE: Uh....who?

Me: Florence and the ma....

REWE: Oh! Florim(sp?)! We don't have Florim.

Me: Um, okay...thanks.

*pushes cart around until I find Another Random Electronics Walmart Employee*

Me: Hey, do you have Florence and the Machine's newest album? It came out yesterday.

AREWE: Did you check the new release shelf?

Me: Yes.

AREWE: Okay, come with me. *takes me to Florence and the Machine tab* Here you go.

Me: Uh, that's not the newest one.

AREWE: Yes, it is.

Me: No, it's not. "Lungs" is the old album.

Random Electronics Walmart Employee Who Was Eavesdropping: Did you want Florence and the Machine's newest album, "Ceremonials?"

Me: YES! *Thinking, "finally someone who knows what the hell they're talking about!"

REWEWWE: Yeah, she's not popular enough for us to stock the new album. We'll get it eventually, but probably not for another month or so.

Me: o_O

Okay, album acquired. I've listened to it several times and I think it's so terrific.

I can't really say if it's better than "Lungs" or not, though. They both have such different vibes and both are so good. I'm getting a very modern retro vibe from "Ceremonials." It feels as though they took some of that 80's new wave sound and modernized it. I just dig it so much! My only issue (and it's not really that big of an issue) is the lack of harp in this album. In "Lungs" the harp was such a presence and I don't hear it much in this album.

I've also had a listen to the B-sides and some of the acoustics. Why are the B-sides always the best of that album's period?! And I just LOVE the acoustic version of "Shake it Out." Can't stop listening to it!

Overall, I adore Coldplay and really feel that MX is a solid album for them, but......"Ceremonials" is not only a better effort, but it's more enjoyable for me. It's very compelling and lovely!

I've been listening to it a few times now but for some reason I can't seem to get into it as much as I did with Lungs or even with []MX[/i]. Don't get me wrong, I like the album but at the moment I think Lungs is better.

My only issue (and it's not really that big of an issue) is the lack of harp in this album. In "Lungs" the harp was such a presence and I don't hear it much in this album.

Oh I agree! I miss the harps a lot in this album.

¨Paul Epworth, Flo producer gave some recording info on Ceremonials via twitter. Very interesting! (btw, Ceremonials is n°1 on itunes, beating Coldplay xD)

paulepworth Paul Epworth

right peeps. gotta say Ceremonials was recorded very live with very little in the way of synths as electronic production at all.

the big drum sound was the product of strapping a kick drum to a marching drum and micing the room at abbey road.

Never Let Me Go was a live take believe it or not and the weird ambience it has were the unused piano mics compressed to f**k.

Only If For a night is pretty much only percussion, a piano, a sub bass and a string part. The rest is assorted friends on vocals and flo.

The whole intention was to try and strike a balance between european marching band and the ambience of Talk talk's later material.Its weird the influences some hear in a record. Sometimes they get it totally and sometimes it's like they were listening to a different lp.

^ I think the one instance where that's probably true is Heartlines. It's a great song, but its sandwiched pretty closely between No Light, No Light and Spectrum, both of which accomplish the exact same thing except better. Either some track re-ordering (or, like I've repeatedly insisted, thrown out 1 or 2 tracks in favor of Bedroom Hymns) may have made for some better pacing.

Also, Cosmic Love needs to continue to be played at every show. I think that and DDAO are pretty safe. I'd hate to see Blinding and Drumming Song go, however.

Hmm I still can't decide which one I prefer. :laugh3:

Though I would probably lean towards Lungs more because of the use of harps and the songs don't sound alike like they do on Ceremonials.