✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP6

princesanji

her lyrics are only 'inappropriate' because (presumably) you're a middle class white guy...

This is her culture, not yours. okay it feels stupid trying to defend Nicki Minaj because her music is just party music (this doesn't mean it's bad or has no messsage, but you know) but honestly you need to look at this kind of thing with a different mind. Coldplay and Nicki Minaj are many many many worlds apart, even though they might be on the same hit lists or whatever

:uhoh:

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's lots of party music out there that's just meant for fun and has no 'substance' whatsoever, and I really can't see the people who created it caring much for anything but selling records. I guess that stuff has a purpose, but I can't stand it myself.

I'd like to believe coldplay will always make a 'Rock' album, but I wouldn't exactly call Paradise 'rock'. Too synthy and poppy f or me. But I still like the song for how it affects a live audience. I think no matter what they do, it will always have depth and substance.

MX is my least favorite album, but I still like it a lot, and the era itself was a total rush!:)

(But if that duet with Nicki Minaj happens, I'll personally shoot Chris,lol!)

Yeaaaah uuuh guys you didn't have to take it that seriously because i was sorta kidding anyway :lol:

I am well aware that Nicki Minaj doesn't do the same kind of music and not for the same...uh..purpose, I guess ?

However:

Haha can't help but think of a CP feat Nicky Minaj collaboration right now... with Chris' gentle lyrics and her inappropriateness. I'd get a heart attack.
I think most Coldplay fans would either die of laughter or simply get a heart of attack because of a sudden panic that Coldplay might actually collaborate with her :nod:

Chris needs to stop writing songs with live performances in mind. Chris talked a lot about how he imagined how these songs would translate live, so as a result, MX was exciting but I didnt find the music to be as powerful as past efforts.

I think Chris needs to stop worrying about how songs will sound live and just focus on the music. They're so good live that it really doesn't matter what they are performing live.

There's lots of party music out there that's just meant for fun and has no 'substance' whatsoever, and I really can't see the people who created it caring much for anything but selling records. I guess that stuff has a purpose, but I can't stand it myself.

I'd like to believe coldplay will always make a 'Rock' album, but I wouldn't exactly call Paradise 'rock'. Too synthy and poppy f or me. But I still like the song for how it affects a live audience. I think no matter what they do, it will always have depth and substance.

MX is my least favorite album, but I still like it a lot, and the era itself was a total rush!:)

(But if that duet with Nicki Minaj happens, I'll personally shoot Chris,lol!)

Apparently it's a terrible thing to label any Coldplay music with genres. Just warning you.

If you want to label things and box up your favourite artists into categories, be my guest. Music's more exciting when there are no boundaries, though.

her lyrics are only 'inappropriate' because (presumably) you're a middle class white guy...

This is her culture, not yours. okay it feels stupid trying to defend Nicki Minaj because her music is just party music (this doesn't mean it's bad or has no messsage, but you know) but honestly you need to look at this kind of thing with a different mind. Coldplay and Nicki Minaj are many many many worlds apart, even though they might be on the same hit lists or whatever

:uhoh:

I don't find it inappropriate, I just don't think it could be considered art. I think that's partly because of my white middle-class culture, but I think it's also because I have a clear opinion of what art is, and that sort of thing doesn't fall into it. Like I said though, that's just my opinion; I'm sure Nicki Minaj won't lose any sleep over it.

will.i.am's worse because he clearly cares more about business than anything else. I don't think music should be judged that way.

I think Will.I.am or Lady Gaga type of music is art, but they have different purposes. They're pop artists, so they make massive appealing music. They write ordinary lyrics or something trendy with catchy hooks. The magic of a song with these characterestics is that our brains will absorb it easily. If you hate this music, it means it's not of your taste. I really hate some of the top charting music, but also I'm not afraid to say the opposite.

If you want to label things and box up your favourite artists into categories, be my guest. Music's more exciting when there are no boundaries, though.

I don't find it inappropriate, I just don't think it could be considered art. I think that's partly because of my white middle-class culture, but I think it's also because I have a clear opinion of what art is, and that sort of thing doesn't fall into it. Like I said though, that's just my opinion; I'm sure Nicki Minaj won't lose any sleep over it.

will.i.am's worse because he clearly cares more about business than anything else. I don't think music should be judged that way.

I agree :) it's like, my friends who don't like rock or whatever call Coldplay lame and gay, Green day stupid and scary and Muse weird and ugly!! WTF!!! :/ I'm a middle class white person and I think that Art is something you have to connect with and have a real passion, it's about putting across your ideas and views and kinda how you interpret life and its meanings. Not akout how much money you can make and how auto tuned your voice has to be to sound even vaguely barable.

And Lady Gaga is clearly talented. She has an amazing voice and she can actually write music.

You can dislike her genre or her way to express but you can't deny the talent

Yeah Lady GaGa is talented, like Adele. But I still couldn't care less about their music. But that's just my opinion and I don't like their genres

Apparently it's a terrible thing to label any Coldplay music with genres. Just warning you.

THat's ok, I've gotten really good at ducking thanks to this place,lol. :lol:

I have to agree about Lady Gaga. I don't enjoy her music, but she's one hell of a musician. I wish I could play piano like that. For me, there's no emotional connection to her music. But for millions of fans, she says in her music how they feel. It's a matter of taste, but she's in it for more than money, however I feel about her sound.

Genres: Coldplay defy them. Most of the bands I love the most can't be filed away in one column. But the Rihanna-esque pop sound has actually limited them, not broadened their audience. Alt/Indie stations won't play that song Most of the new fans that I k now who came to Coldplay through that song (but not all) think of it more as a Rihannsa song featuring Chris. (Just follow tweets about it during shows and you'll see that.)

I don't like her, but I didn't bring Lady Gaga into this discussion. I wasn't talking about pop music being artless, I was talking about the music of certain musicians being artless, and the first three I thought of just happened to be shit popstars. There are many popstars who do music simply for the art of it, I'm not sure Gaga is one of them, but she's certainly more respectable than will.i.am, who would frankly sell his kidneys to score a number one.

And for the record, I would drag several bands into the "artless imo" bracket, not to mention David Guetta, who's not a popstar at all.

Genres: Coldplay defy them. Most of the bands I love the most can't be filed away in one column. But the Rihanna-esque pop sound has actually limited them, not broadened their audience. Alt/Indie stations won't play that song Most of the new fans that I k now who came to Coldplay through that song (but not all) think of it more as a Rihannsa song featuring Chris. (Just follow tweets about it during shows and you'll see that.)

I'm sorry if I've really offended people (mostly Kingzilla) for my dislike of labelling Coldplay into different genres, but I'd just like to back this opinion up ^ All bands and artists defy genres; it's much nicer to just think in a wider space than just "rock like Politik" or "ballad like the Scientist", because it leaves you excited when you hear something new and wonderful.

"Genre-thinking" limits your mind, and as I said before, a song is not better or worse if it uses synths. Take Blue Monday, for example; a grey, synth soundscape and it's beautiful.

That's all I wanted to put across. I love rock music, but it's not the be all and end all; there's a world of genre waiting to be explored and integrated into a guitar-based sound. It's what killed bands like Oasis, feeling like they had to move in one direction. It shouldn't kill Coldplay.

I don't like her, but I didn't bring Lady Gaga into this discussion. I wasn't talking about pop music being artless, I was talking about the music of certain musicians being artless, and the first three I thought of just happened to be shit popstars. There are many popstars who do music simply for the art of it, I'm not sure Gaga is one of them, but she's certainly more respectable than will.i.am, who would frankly sell his kidneys to score a number one.

And for the record, I would drag several bands into the "artless imo" bracket, not to mention David Guetta, who's not a popstar at all.

I don't really like Lady Gaga because she is all about her image, her music is almost irrelevant. Admittedly a lot of pop music is like that but still :(

Pop music is as much of a business as it is an art form. I think that's why I love it so much. A lot of it is just producers throwing music at a wall and seeing what sticks. I think this is really exciting!!

ie this new will.i.am song

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYtGl1dX5qI]will.i.am - Scream & Shout ft. Britney Spears - YouTube[/ame]

produced by a guy who was, until recently, some dude in the UK making dance music in his bedroom.

or this taylor swift song

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNoKguSdy4Y]Taylor Swift - I Knew You Were Trouble - YouTube[/ame]

which sounds like a normal t swift song but then there's just a dubstep drop in the middle?!?!?

POP MUSIC IS AMAZING

David Guetta makes a pretty interesting debate though. His music is all about the connection. I think there's a real art to it. Creating music that thousands of people in one room will enjoy and go crazy to is not an easy thing!

All music is art, just as all paintings are art... Thing is that there are the Leonardo da Vinci's paintings and then there are the kindergartener's hand paintings. Technically, both are forms of art but one is more creative and complex while the other one is... Well, a hand painting. Now I am not saying that pop music is the hand painting in music. But it does vary. I think artists like Adele (not really pop though...) and Kanye West who write their own music, and practically direct their music in whatever way they feel fit. And they both are critically claimed. Now as for Nicki Minaj... I'm quite biased because I can't stand her, probably because she is a judge for American idol and I perfer singers who are mostly better than the contestants doing the judging. And for her music... Meh. The lyrics are terrible. But that's me, the middle class white man. I can see why people like her and if that's what they want to listen to, good on them. Ill listen to the artists who perfect their art, not only just make it.

I don't really like Lady Gaga because she is all about her image, her music is almost irrelevant. Admittedly a lot of pop music is like that but still :(

Pop music is as much of a business as it is an art form. I think that's why I love it so much. A lot of it is just producers throwing music at a wall and seeing what sticks. I think this is really exciting!!

produced by a guy who was, until recently, some dude in the UK making dance music in his bedroom.

which sounds like a normal t swift song but then there's just a dubstep drop in the middle?!?!?

POP MUSIC IS AMAZING

David Guetta makes a pretty interesting debate though. His music is all about the connection. I think there's a real art to it. Creating music that thousands of people in one room will enjoy and go crazy to is not an easy thing!

Taylor swift is decent, and lady Gaga has talent when she wants to use it. My problem with pop is that it doesn't relate with me. Songs like Trouble relates with me because it reminds of the times I hurt my friends and then felt guilty afterwards. Mainstream pop consists of usually party songs, break up songs, standard song love songs... Songs that are repeated so much that it no longer relates. If you like it, however, that is your choice.

Taylor swift is decent, and lady Gaga has talent when she wants to use it. My problem with pop is that it doesn't relate with me. Songs like Trouble relates with me because it reminds of the times I hurt my friends and then felt guilty afterwards. Mainstream pop consists of usually party songs, break up songs, standard song love songs... Songs that are repeated so much that it no longer relates. If you like it, however, that is your choice.

that's a fair point. I never pay attention to lyrics because that's just not how i listen to music (unless it's rap, where the whole point of the song is the lyrics)

I'm a lyrics guy, though sometimes, if the music is spectacular, I'll ignore bad lyrics, or if the music video is awesome, I'll ignore the music and lyrics all together (Gangnam style I'm talking to you :D) but everyone has their preferences and as long as no one likes Justin Bieber (that demon that spawned in my country) I'm good. Now I'm waiting for the guy who actually likes him.....

^I'm not afraid to admit to loving Canada's greatest musical export...Leonard Cohen,lol. Yes, I also apologize on behalf of Canada for Bieber.

Sorry, I can't stand Gangnham Style no matter how good a video, but the rest of your post is true for me too. Not even all of Chris' lyrics blow me away, but the whole that is Coldplay is greater than the sum of its parts.

I just hope they don't try to assimilate. They were at their best when they didn't fit in with everything else on the radio. I'm not asking for Rush 2.0, just that they keep doing their music for them first.

POP MUSIC IS AMAZING

I do totally get you, and I don't like Lady Gaga, because I think she's music for people who don't like music; it's never enough to just sit and perform a well-written song, she's all about upping the shock factor or looking like a dick, just to get attention. And then claims it's about the art, when it clearly isn't.

There is great pop music around - can safely say I'll enjoy a couple of Rihanna songs a year - and a lot of the music I listen to verges on the commercial side... but nearly all music is just people in a room throwing things and seeing what sticks. What makes pop music special is that everyone starts there. No one will ever buy Four Tet for their first record. I have a special place for pop music in my heart because it got me into the music I love today.

But as Kingzilla pointed out, can pop music ever match the depth of alternative? I guess I feel more connected to a band like Blur, for example, because it's one man's feelings on a song like No Distance Left to Run or Caramel. Take a song like Best Thing I Never Had; it's not nearly as powerful and it probably took six or seven people to write.

As for Bieber... people should really stop hating, it's getting old, and he's actually one of the more talented people in pop. If you don't like him, be indifferent to him, same as you are for every other two-bit teen popstar.

But as Kingzilla pointed out, can pop music ever match the depth of alternative? I guess I feel more connected to a band like Blur, for example, because it's one man's feelings on a song like No Distance Left to Run or Caramel. Take a song like Best Thing I Never Had; it's not nearly as powerful and it probably took six or seven people to write.

Yeah I get that. One of my favourite artists, The-Dream wrote Baby by Justin Bieber and Single Ladies and a whole lot of other stuff, but the songs I really like are the ones written only by him about his own experiences.

We might not agree on a lot, Mark, but I'm glad you treat pop music seriously :cool: