✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP6

princesanji

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Muse, haha. I don't think they'll even concider it. They first wanted to make an acoustic album, but finally made MX. It would be really the opposite direction if they'll do dubstep now...

I suspect Chris might think about it if he didn't have the others to rein him in,lol. :wacky:

As I said a few times, either they go forward with this new sound, or they go backwards. A lot of people here think they'll try something new, but what? Unless they subtly add say dub step, which is fine, there is nothing they can try that's new, that wont outrage majority of everyone. Some people will be fine with almost anything made by Coldplay, but a lot of people hated MX and a lot of people even hated Viva. They have the potential to change music by making great rock songs and putting them in the charts, which is possible, due to the popularity of Coldplay, or they can end the trilogy of experimenting and continue in the electro/string mix like the last two albums. Personally, I want them to do rock, because I think they are at their best with that style of music.

As I said a few times, either they go forward with this new sound, or they go backwards. A lot of people here think they'll try something new, but what? Unless they subtly add say dub step, which is fine, there is nothing they can try that's new, that wont outrage majority of everyone. Some people will be fine with almost anything made by Coldplay, but a lot of people hated MX and a lot of people even hated Viva. They have the potential to change music by making great rock songs and putting them in the charts, which is possible, due to the popularity of Coldplay, or they can end the trilogy of experimenting and continue in the electro/string mix like the last two albums. Personally, I want them to do rock, because I think they are at their best with that style of music.

There are not two styles of music.

There is plenty of direction for Coldplay to head in, that isn't "rock" or "pop".

Personally, I want them to do rock, because I think they are at their best with that style of music.

For the third and final time,

THEY WILL ALWAYS "DO ROCK" BECAUSE THEY ARE AN ALTERNATIVE ROCK BAND. THEY WILL TRY AND INCORPORATE OTHER STYLES INTO THEIR MUSIC THOUGH, BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT PROGRESSION IS ABOUT. THEY WILL NOT GO BACK TO A RUSH OF BLOOD TO THE HEAD BECAUSE THAT IS NOT PROGRESSION.

Okay?

For the third and final time,

THEY WILL ALWAYS "DO ROCK" BECAUSE THEY ARE AN ALTERNATIVE ROCK BAND. THEY WILL TRY AND INCORPORATE OTHER STYLES INTO THEIR MUSIC THOUGH, BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT PROGRESSION IS ABOUT. THEY WILL NOT GO BACK TO A RUSH OF BLOOD TO THE HEAD BECAUSE THAT IS NOT PROGRESSION.

Okay?

they don't necessarily have to go back to a rush of blood. trying to do another rush of blood would end up in tears as we saw with X&Y. so we don't want that at all. but coldplay 2012 doesn't resemble coldplay 2002 in any way imaginable, except they're the same band with the same people. so maybe we just want some of the old magic. for them to go back to their roots and rediscover what made them so good in the first place.

their 3 latest albums have each disappointed a lot of people but maybe MX more so than the other two. with every month and year that passes by since its release and after all the hype has died down, the album gets more and more dreadful for me.

i'll just try and pretend MX and some of the stuff on X&Y and viva never happened and look forward to whatever they're doing next. i so want them to blow us all away in spectacular fashion with the greatest album ever!

I agree, I think Coldplay, Muse, Radiohead and Blur are one of the few bands that managed to actually change sound still maintaining a high level nowadays.

Yeah, all of them feel fresh. You have the sensation that they're new bands eventhough they've been making music for years.

they don't necessarily have to go back to a rush of blood. trying to do another rush of blood would end up in tears as we saw with X&Y. so we don't want that at all. but coldplay 2012 doesn't resemble coldplay 2002 in any way imaginable, except they're the same band with the same people. so maybe we just want some of the old magic. for them to go back to their roots and rediscover what made them so good in the first place.

their 3 latest albums have each disappointed a lot of people but maybe MX more so than the other two. with every month and year that passes by since its release and after all the hype has died down, the album gets more and more dreadful for me.

i'll just try and pretend MX and some of the stuff on X&Y and viva never happened and look forward to whatever they're doing next. i so want them to blow us all away in spectacular fashion with the greatest album ever!

The only reason the last three albums have disappointed people - I wasn't aware Viva was a disappointment to anyone, but whatever - is because there is more expectation to produce something better than the last record. Who's disappointed if a band release a bad debut? No one. Who would've been all that bothered if Coldplay had become a one-hit wonder known for Yellow? A few people, not that many. Now who's bothered if LP6 is shite? A global fanbase of millions that have helped this band ascend from nothing to the biggest band on the planet in half the time U2 took.

Coldplay's past is utterly irrelevant, we should be looking at the future; we should look at what the band have expressed an interest in doing, what influences they've mentioned before that they haven't explored yet, and what worked well on the last record, and the last record only. I'm sorry, but pre-Viva Coldplay is dead and buried. And given that the last three influences I heard Chris mention were Madness by Muse, Pass Out by Tinie Tempah and My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye, I wouldn't hold out much hope for this "rock album". Whatever that means: MX was an alternative rock album.

Rant over.

Like Muse, haha. I don't think they'll even concider it. They first wanted to make an acoustic album, but finally made MX. It would be really the opposite direction if they'll do dubstep now...

Yeah I mean there's nothing stopping Coldplay doing dub step but I just don't think its the right path for them. It worked for muse as they'd re able to use extreme sounds to make their stuff SO EPIC!! :)

Yeah, all of them feel fresh. You have the sensation that they're new bands eventhough they've been making music for years.

I'd take Muse out of that, personally. You get the feeling that most of their music could be on any of their albums (The 2nd Law, maybe exempt). Survival, Stockholm Syndrome, New Born, Knights of Cydonia, Supermassive Black Hole, Cave, Hysteria, Supremacy, Starlight, Uprising, Resistance, Plug In Baby Sunburn... there's not a lot of difference. Compare that with Viva La Vida, Yellow, Fix You, Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall, The Scientist... you get the idea.

There's nothing wrong with remaining in the same style. Arcade Fire don't change much each album, but the songwriting's always brilliant. What I like about Coldplay is that every song is about as good as the next; the ambition's great, but what's ambition if you don't have the raw talent behind it?

I'd take Muse out of that, personally. You get the feeling that most of their music could be on any of their albums (The 2nd Law, maybe exempt). Survival, Stockholm Syndrome, New Born, Knights of Cydonia, Supermassive Black Hole, Cave, Hysteria, Supremacy, Starlight, Uprising, Resistance, Plug In Baby Sunburn... there's not a lot of difference. Compare that with Viva La Vida, Yellow, Fix You, Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall, The Scientist... you get the idea.

There's nothing wrong with remaining in the same style. Arcade Fire don't change much each album, but the songwriting's always brilliant. What I like about Coldplay is that every song is about as good as the next; the ambition's great, but what's ambition if you don't have the raw talent behind it?

The problem with Coldplay sometimes is that the lyrics can be too much simple, an example is Paradise. The fact I don't understand is that in a Coldplay album you can have lyrics like the Moving to Mars ones and then you have Para Para Paradise. The level is so different, the problem with Coldplay is that in a great album there are this one or two weak moments that ruins the whole album.

The problem with Coldplay sometimes is that the lyrics can be too much simple, an example is Paradise. The fact I don't understand is that in a Coldplay album you can have lyrics like the Moving to Mars ones and then you have Para Para Paradise. The level is so different, the problem with Coldplay is that in a great album there are this one or two weak moments that ruins the whole album.

Some people get turned off by simple lyrics. I do get turned off sometimes especially if they are cheesy, but I also get really turned off when artists write word salads too much.

edit: So I like how Coldplay keeps it balanced.

There's nothing wrong with simple lyrics. Just looking at the top ten songs of the last decade, according to Pitchfork; Daft Punk's One More Time, Radiohead's Idioteque and Beyonce's Crazy in Love are all there. All three either mean nothing, are cheesy, or don't really explore any sort of deep emotion for anything, they're just good songs.

You can't put your finger on what makes a song great, but it's different for different songs. Paradise might not be deep or meaningful, but it's not meant to be. Hell, how many Coldplay songs are?

Yeah I kinda agree with that. I think simple lyrics are the best. I myself have only written about 30 songs but all my friends say that the shorter simplistic and sort of less structured ones are best

Music is about two things; expression and connection. Seriously, think of any band, and you can trace one of those two things to why they started. To get girls? Connection. To look cool? Connection. Because they were inspired by another artist? Bit of both. They can say something with music they can't say otherwise? Expression.

Some artists are all about the expression: MGMT, Mars Volta, Bjork and Foals are some that spring to mind. They're bands that revel in their technical abilities and they enjoy a good mindfuck as much as they enjoy a statement of intent from a song.

There are also artists like Nicki Minaj, One Direction and will.i.am, who don't care what they release as long as people buy it, and people like them. They only care about the connection.

Coldplay are one of those bands in the middle who care as much about how their song connects, as they do what it says. That's why the simple lyrics work so well, but yet they're considered "a proper band"; they try to express themselves in different ways but still want to be one of the biggest bands on the planet. And that's why Radiohead are so loved, because they're the perfect medium between the two.