✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP6

princesanji

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Critics didn't mind Mylo Xyloto; Q gave it five stars and Pitchfork gave it 7/10, for example. And remember, Pitchfork only given Viva 6.9 and Rush 5.1.

Maybe stop thinking in genre, and start thinking in whether something is good or bad. If Mylo Xyloto was a bad album, it was because of the quality of the songs, not because it was a "pop album". (Which is wasn't, by the way).

Radiohead are considered a rock band, but I'll just shuffle three of their songs on my iPod for you: first one was described as Thom Yorke as a 70s dance song (Lotus Flower), second one was sampled by a rapper/DJ act (Planet Telex), third one features a full brass band (Life in a Glasshouse).

Also, remember that good production and good songwriting are not mutually exclusive. All production does is dress a song up, and is there anything you wear that's more important that what you think?

You are going by one critic, who actually rated Rush 5.1... that rater is an idiot, I think we can all agree with that. I respect your opinion, and I don't think MX was bad album. What I am saying is MX was a pop album. It was a POP album. There was rock elements in it, but just because there are guitars in the song doesn't make it rock. The album was electric more than anything. I'm not saying don't put any electric songs in LP6 though. But not the entire album.

You are going by one critic, who actually rated Rush 5.1... that rater is an idiot, I think we can all agree with that. I respect your opinion, and I don't think MX was bad album. What I am saying is MX was a pop album. It was a POP album. There was rock elements in it, but just because there are guitars in the song doesn't make it rock. The album was electric more than anything. I'm not saying don't put any electric songs in LP6 though. But not the entire album.

What does make a song "rock" then?

(And I'm not going by one critic at all, I'm saying that many critics enjoyed MX. I try not to make sweeping statements by saying that no one or everyone liked something.)

What does make a song "rock" then?

(And I'm not going by one critic at all, I'm saying that many critics enjoyed MX. I try not to make sweeping statements by saying that no one or everyone liked something.)

I am not saying the MX was bad. Far from it. And critics did say MX was good, but most thought it was a drop off from previous efforts. Look at the amount of awards they got nominated with Viva and now with MX. Once again, it has to do with the fact that no one sees Coldplay as a pop band.

As for what makes a song rock, easy. I consider the rock genre pretty wide in sub-genres. For coldplay, they played rock ballads, hard rock (Politik, AROBTTH etc.), acoustic rock (Yellow and most of Parachutes), electric rock (X&Y). X&Y is the line between rock and pop. It was full of synths, but the main sound was mostly a guitar sound. MX on the other hand, was full of electric beats and synths that are just not rock.

Yes, it isn't freaking Katy Perry, but it's much closer to that then Rush. There are some songs that are rock songs like Major Minus, but the hits songs are an obvious attempt to get into the charts. Unfortunately, I think that Viva La Vida (the song) made it to number one, not because it was hugely mainstream, but because it was so clever with the strings and the wordplay. It was brilliant. I can't say the same for the MX singles. Either way, I think we both won't agree with each other, but I just hope for a great LP6, electric or not.

synths [/color]that are just not rock.

Yeah, but you haven't actually told me the conventions of a rock song, which leads me to believe that you don't actually know, and you judge a song on how it sounds, not how it's constructed. In fact, when you talk about genre, you only mention the use of instruments; I've highlighted examples above.

Rock is not about whether a song is played on guitar or not. Rock music, no matter the subgenre, is about the musicianship, the band set-up, and most of all the ethos. Having guitars helps - which, oh wait, Coldplay do - but rock and roll is and always has been more of a belief, a lifestyle, than just a genre. The Beatles always pushed rock music with their experimentation, and artists like David Bowie, Radiohead and Blur have continued this.

I personally think Justin Timberlake is as much rockstar as a popstar. He pushes his music, has as much input as he possibly can, and writes it all himself. That's what rock means, to me.

Just to repeat myself though, Mylo Xyloto was more than just the pop album you keep crassly labelling it; it included a Sigur Ros sample, ambient interludes, guitar riffs... it was in some ways, the most experimental thing that Coldplay have ever put out. It was commercial, but why do we have to keep defining an album by a single word? :(

Yeah, but you haven't actually told me the conventions of a rock song, which leads me to believe that you don't actually know, and you judge a song on how it sounds, not how it's constructed. In fact, when you talk about genre, you only mention the use of instruments; I've highlighted examples above.

Rock is not about whether a song is played on guitar or not. Rock music, no matter the subgenre, is about the musicianship, the band set-up, and most of all the ethos. Having guitars helps - which, oh wait, Coldplay do - but rock and roll is and always has been more of a belief, a lifestyle, than just a genre. The Beatles always pushed rock music with their experimentation, and artists like David Bowie, Radiohead and Blur have continued this.

I personally think Justin Timberlake is as much rockstar as a popstar. He pushes his music, has as much input as he possibly can, and writes it all himself. That's what rock means, to me.

Just to repeat myself though, Mylo Xyloto was more than just the pop album you keep crassly labelling it; it included a Sigur Ros sample, ambient interludes, guitar riffs... it was in some ways, the most experimental thing that Coldplay have ever put out. It was commercial, but why do we have to keep defining an album by a single word? :(

Alright, fair enough, lets stop calling MX pop. Let's call it rock. But MX is still far more electric then any other album that they have put out. And that's what I have a problem with. In technical terms, it is still rock, but it is far from the music that they started with, that I fell in love with. I'm fine with experimential music, and you are correct with the Beatles reference... but many critics call abbey road their best album, which is them going back to their roots after a failure with Magical Mystery Tour. I understand you are a fan of MX, and so am I, but I simply believe Coldplay is best with ballads and more basic rock, rather than full on electric rock.

Alright, fair enough, lets stop calling MX pop. Let's call it rock.

May I very nicely ask why you (and not only you) feel such need to put their music in a box, to label it as one genre or another?

I'm not disagreeing with what you prefer or think Coldplay's best sound was. Just why is separating into genres so important?

May I very nicely ask why you (and not only you) feel such need to put their music in a box, to label it as one genre or another?

I'm not disagreeing with what you prefer or think Coldplay's best sound was. Just why is separating into genres so important?

THIS ^ Thank you :D

Genre is unimportant; it builds boundaries between types of fans. All music should unite us, regardless of its sound. We should base on quality.

Sometimes though I wish they'd do another simple piano song... Maybe another powerful ballad like The Scientist. I thought Wedding Bells was defs going to be on MX but I suppose they're trying to move away from what they used to sound like.

Not sure where the next album is going, but I wouldn't mind them building on what they started with MX.

I love how MX was an acoustic-electric fusion. The only other album I can think of with the same kind of balance is "Hurry Up We're Dreaming" by M83. A collaboration between Coldplay and M83 would be a dream come true for me.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwZR0CFbJ4M]M83 - Intro (Featuring Zola Jesus) - YouTube[/ame]

I agree with you guys that Coldplay like to do a lot of different genres, but you can't deny that genres don't exist. So call Coldplay Coldplay, but unforunately, I like different Coldplay songs than others and it just so happens that those other ones that liked are either acoustic and beautiful or harder edge. We obviously have slightly different tastes (we all like coldplay though :P) so let us stop bickering about what we want and just hope whatever they do, it will be brilliant.

Sometimes though I wish they'd do another simple piano song... Maybe another powerful ballad like The Scientist. I thought Wedding Bells was defs going to be on MX but I suppose they're trying to move away from what they used to sound like.

Not sure where the next album is going, but I wouldn't mind them building on what they started with MX.

I love how MX was an acoustic-electric fusion. The only other album I can think of with the same kind of balance is "Hurry Up We're Dreaming" by M83. A collaboration between Coldplay and M83 would be a dream come true for me.

M83 - Intro (Featuring Zola Jesus) - YouTube

:o We have similar dreams :o After hearing songs like "Paradise" or "Don't Let It Break Your Heart" I can see coldplay doing songs like "Midnight City" or "Steve McQueen" .....Of course, If LP6 was like parachutes style, I wouldn't mind.