✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP6

princesanji

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When Whiley proposed that Coldplay's next project could be more stripped-back and acoustic, Champion replied: "Yeah, that might be nice, actually. There's only so far you can go without becoming pompous and a bit overblown."

.....Too late guys :nod:

:wink3:

^ Never overrate what they say :no: Plus, in the other interview they said that they'd never release what comes out of their latest jams because "you'd never want to hear it" :lol: They're just jamming, not thinking about an actual new album yet, I believe... And it's fine, you need a break between two eras, or the songs from the second one will probably be in a similar style a the previous...

They always blow hot and cold about new album info, I still think we will get something by the end of the year....... :nod:

I bet even they want to break the 3 year trend since AROBTTH and what a way to do it with a stripped down acoustic album :D

I personally still think they should do a double album with some acoustic songs and some more upbeat songs. I think double albums are a great opportunity to put in all different kinds of genres and influences and I think that would work perfectly with Chris's writing specifically, as his influences are all over the board.

Musically I liked the idea someone on here brought up about folk tale songs like Cemetaries of London. It'd be cool to have songs that tell short stories, sort of like what Ray Davies does. Could be a good evolution on the Viva folk songs. I also would like songs that mix the art-rock Viva tracks with the Pink Floyd sounding tracks like Moving To Mars and the stuff X&Y. Like Eugene Delacroix in space or something. That would be awesome.

I personally still think they should do a double album with some acoustic songs and some more upbeat songs. I think double albums are a great opportunity to put in all different kinds of genres and influences and I think that would work perfectly with Chris's writing specifically, as his influences are all over the board.

Musically I liked the idea someone on here brought up about folk tale songs like Cemetaries of London. It'd be cool to have songs that tell short stories, sort of like what Ray Davies does. Could be a good evolution on the Viva folk songs. I also would like songs that mix the art-rock Viva tracks with the Pink Floyd sounding tracks like Moving To Mars and the stuff X&Y. Like Eugene Delacroix in space or something. That would be awesome.

Double albums are disasters waiting to be recorded. Part of an album's art is choosing the best 10-13 songs and placing your faith in the tracklist; you have to choose what is right sometimes, and not what is best.

Viva is an excellent example of this, Kid A and In Rainbows also. X&Y is the opposite. There is such a thing as "too much".

^ Actually, speaking of double albums, Biffy Clyro's Opposites just came out and it's pretty damn good. Definitely proof that double albums can still be consistently good with little filler. Of course, this is a rare case and I don't think I'd like to see Coldplay do a double album.

^ Actually, speaking of double albums, Biffy Clyro's Opposites just came out and it's pretty damn good. Definitely proof that double albums can still be consistently good with little filler. Of course, this is a rare case and I don't think I'd like to see Coldplay do a double album.

Aren't Biffy Clyro a band that can get away with releasing 20-odd songs without the mass media throwing a hissy and telling them to fuck off because they're boring though? :P

It goes beyond just the album title, that was just a detail (well, not maybe just a detail, but I hope you get the idea) What I meant was that they seemed to already have a concrete idea of what they wanted to do. It sounded as if they had been already working on some ideas, but now it's like they've gone back to square one, that's why I thought it was strange.

Yeah I think is too early to have a concrete idea at this point unless they had some of the songs finished then yeah that would be dissapointing. But let's be aware that at this point even if the guys themselves say they have an idea for LP6, it may happen that either they don't like it or it develops differently. I remember when the band said that MX was gonna be an acoustic record, and it turned out to be a very different approach.

Yeah I think is too early to have a concrete idea at this point unless they had some of the songs finished then yeah that would be dissapointing. But let's be aware that at this point even if the guys themselves say they have an idea for LP6, it may happen that either they don't like it or it develops differently. I remember when the band said that MX was gonna be an acoustic record, and it turned out to be a very different approach.

From what I gathered from that interview, perhaps they were working on a complex, "abstract" sound but it didn't work out.

They always blow hot and cold about new album info, I still think we will get something by the end of the year....... :nod:

I bet even they want to break the 3 year trend since AROBTTH and what a way to do it with a stripped down acoustic album :D

That is what I think too. They're getting older so they have to work faster I think, they just can't wait, before they know they're old and have no power to work that hard as they did before.

I think it could be a kind of album, with some new songs and the old songs in acoustic versions? Like the upcoming In My Place?

Double albums are disasters waiting to be recorded. Part of an album's art is choosing the best 10-13 songs and placing your faith in the tracklist; you have to choose what is right sometimes, and not what is best.

Viva is an excellent example of this, Kid A and In Rainbows also. X&Y is the opposite. There is such a thing as "too much".

Viva could have been double album with Prospekts March and maybe some of that "bloodless revolution" stuff. I mean, Viva was made as a single album and thus has sort of a storybook feel to it. I like it the way it is and would rather have it a single album BUT if they went in with the intention of a double album, not just including filler and things that would be bonus tracks, I think they could pull it off. The creativity and track variety of the Viva era assure me they could do it.

I know they won't, people have very short attention spans (especially today). However, not as many people even listen to an album all the way through in one sitting these days so I wonder if it would matter what with the rise of mp3s and all.:shrug:

Green Day's trilogy is just OK, I think they could have done a single album with the best material from the 3 records, it would have been better. About Coldplay making a double album: no way this will ever happen, since Viva La Vida they have the rule of making albums between 42 and 45 minutes and around 9 songs long (although Viva had 13 and MX 11 btw).

YES, I mean Viva doesn't have the best 13 songs they recorded on that period, who would say Lost! is better than Glass Of Water or Rainy Day? Still that album is great because it all fits well, Viva and Prospekt mixed could have been a good double album, but Viva La Vida alone is a greater record.

YES, I mean Viva doesn't have the best 13 songs they recorded on that period, who would say Lost! is better than Glass Of Water or Rainy Day? Still that album is great because it all fits well, Viva and Prospekt mixed could have been a good double album, but Viva La Vida alone is a greater record.

Actually yeah, I like how The songs were divided between Viva and Prospekt's March. They have a similar overarching feel but Prospekt's March, to me, has more in common with the Viva demos. Sure, some of the songs could have been on the album but I feel we would have lost the viva feel that way. I often listen to them back to back but Each has a feel to it it would lose if it was together. I don' think that has anything to do with album length though, it's just that Viva was written to be a single album. Double albums need to be written as double albums IMO not just "two albums thrown together". But yes, I totally agree, Viva and Prospekt's March are better as stand alone works.

We were spoiled with Prospekt's March, it pretty much an album all its own, though with EPs I think that is generally not the case.

That is what I think too. They're getting older so they have to work faster I think, they just can't wait, before they know they're old and have no power to work that hard as they did before.

I think it could be a kind of album, with some new songs and the old songs in acoustic versions? Like the upcoming In My Place?

What the hell? :facepalm:

who would say Lost! is better than Glass Of Water or Rainy Day?[/color] Still that album is great because it all fits well, Viva and Prospekt mixed could have been a good double album, but Viva La Vida alone is a greater record.

I would. Lost! is an amazing song that has lyrics that really speak to me (and not many CP songs do that). I like how the song is a bit low-key, slow and subtle. I love how the organ bleeds through the song and is some what haunting. I love the beat and the guitar solo is just perfect for the song. I'm glad they put Lost! in.