✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP6

princesanji

There are different kinds of connection too. There's the emotional connection formed from deep, thoughtful lyrics, but there's also the connection formed between a band and its live crowd, as between audience members who sing together. Coldplay are aware of the need for both, and they've admitted intentionally writing those simple choruses with their live show in mind. But even a song like VLV with the most simple sing-along part imaginable still has complex lyrics. Some lyrics are better than others, and I don't think some on MX were as strong as on previous albums, but there are still some good, well-crafted lyrics there. I hope with age and experience that Chris will branch out even further with his lyrics. He's still got untapped potential there, IMO.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we going to have this newcoldplay/oldcoldplay discussions forever on this forum? They are not doing AROBTTH part 2, just get over it people. Personally that's what I love the most about them, the ability to keep changing and sounding fresh over the years, each record has its own particular sound.

Actually, what you are saying has also been said a gazillion times and this thread could be summed up in two sentences.

1. Coldplay should do this and this kind of music

2. No, they should do this and this kind of music instead.

Boring.

/not being bitter or anything

It does sometimes go a bit further than that, to be fair. This thread should be used for intelligent discussions about what's worked well in Coldplay's past, what we'd like to see expanded upon, and what the popular reaction is for all possible different future styles of Coldplay. This thread is a speculation spectrum but its at its weakest when people just say "I want Coldplay to do a rock album because I like the old stuff." As one of the more frequent posters in this thread, I apologise on behalf of those who say that.

Mark, you're so awfully kind and considerate and smart and eloquent and everything.

I second this :nod: And I also feel that this thread just goes in an infinite loop of people saying the same things over and over and getting the same responses from the same people....

I second this :nod: And I also feel that this thread just goes in an infinite loop of people saying the same things over and over and getting the same responses from the same people....

Ironic for the forum's main thread for looking forward.

^yeah cuz mx sucked, right?

Why so cynical? Its always fun to speculate about the future. People are flocking to this thread because MX has kinda run its course. MX does not suck, its just run dry for most of us-- for me at least.

But I still loved every moment of this MX era. Its been a rush. I'm so excited to see what they put out next

For the third and final time,

THEY WILL ALWAYS "DO ROCK" BECAUSE THEY ARE AN ALTERNATIVE ROCK BAND. THEY WILL TRY AND INCORPORATE OTHER STYLES INTO THEIR MUSIC THOUGH, BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT PROGRESSION IS ABOUT. THEY WILL NOT GO BACK TO A RUSH OF BLOOD TO THE HEAD BECAUSE THAT IS NOT PROGRESSION.

Okay?

Calm down man, no need to use the caps. I simply meant that I wanted a harder edge in their "rock music." Like politik. I do disagree with you when you say going back to rush of blood music is not progressing. It's like saying that a band has to keep adding new sounds onto their music. That's not the case. Many very popular bands have gone back a step and shed those extra sounds and made some of their best music. Now can you please respect my opinion? I mean, it's not like I was posting directly to you ;)

There are also artists like Nicki Minaj, One Direction and will.i.am, who don't care what they release as long as people buy it, and people like them. They only care about the connection.

i'm a little confused by this isn't all music about the connection?

also to say that nicki minaj etc dont care about what they release is a really ignorant thing to say but im still really confused

i'm a little confused by this isn't all music about the connection?

also to say that nicki minaj etc dont care about what they release is a really ignorant thing to say but im still really confused

To a degree, yeah everything is about the connection, but some care about the expression more than others, is my point. Quite a simple point really, I'm sure there wasn't much to be confused over.

And I'm sure Nicki Minaj, One Direction and will.i.am will be fine even though I think their music is artless. It would be more ignorant to say that when I hadn't heard it.

Calm down man, no need to use the caps. I simply meant that I wanted a harder edge in their "rock music." Like politik. I do disagree with you when you say going back to rush of blood music is not progressing. It's like saying that a band has to keep adding new sounds onto their music. That's not the case. Many very popular bands have gone back a step and shed those extra sounds and made some of their best music. Now can you please respect my opinion? I mean, it's not like I was posting directly to you ;)

I'm calm, I write in caps when people blatantly ignore what I say; because at least three times you said you wanted a rock album, and at least three times I tried to tell you that there will be a rock album regardless.

"Progressing" means moving forward, and a band is not moving forward by going back to what they've done before. That's a straight-up fact that can't be denied, so I'm sorry, there is no "opinion" here. I respect your tastes nonetheless.

wait wait wait wait

guys

What kind of connection is Nicki Minaj trying to make when she repeats "Ass" over and over again ?

i really wonder

is it about inviting people to shake their booty

You talking about the song she did with Big Sean? I don't think there's much meaning to it tbh- it's just fun for some people to sing to.

Haha can't help but think of a CP feat Nicky Minaj collaboration right now... with Chris' gentle lyrics and her inappropriateness. I'd get a heart attack.

wait wait wait wait

guys

What kind of connection is Nicki Minaj trying to make when she repeats "Ass" over and over again ?

i really wonder

is it about inviting people to shake their booty

This.

I'm sorry if it offends anyone that I don't appreciate her music, I'm just struggling to find the message that she wants to convey with lines such as "starships are made to fly" and "Bitches ain't shit, and they ain't sayin' nuthin', a hundred muthafuckas can't tell me nuthin'".

This.

I'm sorry if it offends anyone that I don't appreciate her music, I'm just struggling to find the message that she wants to convey with lines such as "starships are made to fly" and "Bitches ain't shit, and they ain't sayin' nuthin', a hundred muthafuckas can't tell me nuthin'".

she is trying to say get off my ass haters and that the haters don't run her life, at least that's the message I got out of the song. Actually some parts of that song could be empowering, it has a "do you " attitude to it.

her lyrics are only 'inappropriate' because (presumably) you're a middle class white guy...

This is her culture, not yours. okay it feels stupid trying to defend Nicki Minaj because her music is just party music (this doesn't mean it's bad or has no messsage, but you know) but honestly you need to look at this kind of thing with a different mind. Coldplay and Nicki Minaj are many many many worlds apart, even though they might be on the same hit lists or whatever

:uhoh:

There's lots of party music out there that's just meant for fun and has no 'substance' whatsoever, and I really can't see the people who created it caring much for anything but selling records. I guess that stuff has a purpose, but I can't stand it myself.

I'd like to believe coldplay will always make a 'Rock' album, but I wouldn't exactly call Paradise 'rock'. Too synthy and poppy f or me. But I still like the song for how it affects a live audience. I think no matter what they do, it will always have depth and substance.

MX is my least favorite album, but I still like it a lot, and the era itself was a total rush!:)

(But if that duet with Nicki Minaj happens, I'll personally shoot Chris,lol!)

Yeaaaah uuuh guys you didn't have to take it that seriously because i was sorta kidding anyway :lol:

I am well aware that Nicki Minaj doesn't do the same kind of music and not for the same...uh..purpose, I guess ?

However:

Haha can't help but think of a CP feat Nicky Minaj collaboration right now... with Chris' gentle lyrics and her inappropriateness. I'd get a heart attack.
I think most Coldplay fans would either die of laughter or simply get a heart of attack because of a sudden panic that Coldplay might actually collaborate with her :nod:

Chris needs to stop writing songs with live performances in mind. Chris talked a lot about how he imagined how these songs would translate live, so as a result, MX was exciting but I didnt find the music to be as powerful as past efforts.

I think Chris needs to stop worrying about how songs will sound live and just focus on the music. They're so good live that it really doesn't matter what they are performing live.

There's lots of party music out there that's just meant for fun and has no 'substance' whatsoever, and I really can't see the people who created it caring much for anything but selling records. I guess that stuff has a purpose, but I can't stand it myself.

I'd like to believe coldplay will always make a 'Rock' album, but I wouldn't exactly call Paradise 'rock'. Too synthy and poppy f or me. But I still like the song for how it affects a live audience. I think no matter what they do, it will always have depth and substance.

MX is my least favorite album, but I still like it a lot, and the era itself was a total rush!:)

(But if that duet with Nicki Minaj happens, I'll personally shoot Chris,lol!)

Apparently it's a terrible thing to label any Coldplay music with genres. Just warning you.

If you want to label things and box up your favourite artists into categories, be my guest. Music's more exciting when there are no boundaries, though.

her lyrics are only 'inappropriate' because (presumably) you're a middle class white guy...

This is her culture, not yours. okay it feels stupid trying to defend Nicki Minaj because her music is just party music (this doesn't mean it's bad or has no messsage, but you know) but honestly you need to look at this kind of thing with a different mind. Coldplay and Nicki Minaj are many many many worlds apart, even though they might be on the same hit lists or whatever

:uhoh:

I don't find it inappropriate, I just don't think it could be considered art. I think that's partly because of my white middle-class culture, but I think it's also because I have a clear opinion of what art is, and that sort of thing doesn't fall into it. Like I said though, that's just my opinion; I'm sure Nicki Minaj won't lose any sleep over it.

will.i.am's worse because he clearly cares more about business than anything else. I don't think music should be judged that way.

I think Will.I.am or Lady Gaga type of music is art, but they have different purposes. They're pop artists, so they make massive appealing music. They write ordinary lyrics or something trendy with catchy hooks. The magic of a song with these characterestics is that our brains will absorb it easily. If you hate this music, it means it's not of your taste. I really hate some of the top charting music, but also I'm not afraid to say the opposite.