• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes = 2520 seconds

2520 seconds / 14 songs = 180 seconds/song

180 seconds/song / 60 seconds (1 minute) = ~~~ 3 Minutes/Song

===============================================

Mylo Xyloto = 42 seconds - 3 minutes = 2 minutes and 18 seconds to spend with other songs

(+1 to ETIAW and +1 to Paradise, for example)

still got 3 minutes to each song

another instrumental = ~ 1 or 2 minutes to spend with other songs

(+1 to HLH and +1 to Charlie Brown)

still got ~3 minutes to each song.

===============================================

42 minutes - 14 songs: I think it's possible!

I'm not unduly worried about the length. I mean, look at Pink Floyd's The Wall, it was divided into two parts also, but it's still much longer than MX and it's considered one of the greatest albums of all time! :P

Besides, the guys have said in the past that they don't like long albums--why go back on what they've said if they didn't think each and every song deserves to be a part of the album?

Not worried at all. I've made a little compilation for myself with the 7 tracks we have (that includes MX as Mylo Xyloto) and that only is slightly over 25 minutes. If the other 7 songs round up to something likewise, the length of the album isn't to be worried about.

A quick run-through, some lengths rounded:

Mylo Xyloto - 3:30 (according to the database entry we saw 2 months ago)

Hurts Like Heaven - 4:00 (roughly, acccording to the live version)

Paradise - 4:38 (confirmed)

Charlie Brown - 4:20 (roughly, according to the live version, with piano at the end)

Us Against The World - 4:00 (according to live version)

M.M.I.X. - Unknown

Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall - 4:03 (confirmed)

Major Minus - 3:30 (confirmed)

UFO - Unknown

Princess Of China - 3:30 (according to live version)

Up In Flames - Unknown

A Hopeful Transmission - Unknown

Don't Let It Break Your Heart - Unknown

Up With The Birds - 3:30 (according to database entries)

That gets us 9 tracks; totalling 35:01.

Of the remaining 5, two are confirmed "full" songs, so we'll estimate 3:30 for each of them, getting us 42:01, and the last three are completely unknown. So the album will almost definitely be over 42 minutes. As for MMIX, UFO and AHT, I'd guess they too are full songs (no evidence to support that at all), so I estimate MX to have a length of about 52:30.

I kind of am.

But they know what they're doing.

Not sure about this now :confused:

After listening to Paradise I'm asking to myself what are they think about, what are they doing??! 14 song might be too many, now ...

Hope to be wrong, actually :D

Lyrics terrible? A message, swallowed in the sea, what if, fix you, the hardest part, maybe talk has great lyrics about feelings White shadows, x&y, square one, speed of sound, low, have another meanings about life, space, e

what if the hardest part great lyrics

I may like these songs but please do not try to make this argument again.

The reason why I fuss is because I don't want 'filler' songs that aren't of such great quality on there.

If there are a lot of filler songs thrown in there just because they fit this story thing I'm going to be quite annoyed because that is not how you write a story. If one part of it's crap and not up to standards it's usually better to just scrap that part and start afresh. You don't try to polish the turd.

There is an interview floating around somewhere, with Coldplay themselves, where one of them (I think it was Jonny?) admitted afterwards that X&Y did feel bloated. Bloated is different from full - full involves satisfaction of the food eaten. Bloated indicates discomfort, or just too much.

Now I would normally trust them with such an issue but these new singles have me a bit on edge on where they are going with this whole thing. We can only wait and see though.

While I disagree with Batmotor's statement, just because they don't play a lot of songs from it doesn't mean it's not good. The band themselves have stated they don't personally like it in retrospect looking back on it and that's fine. That doesn't make it a bad album just because they themselves don't like it as much as the others. Not everyone feels exactly like the band does.

I may like these songs but please do not try to make this argument again.

The reason why I fuss is because I don't want 'filler' songs that aren't of such great quality on there.

If there are a lot of filler songs thrown in there just because they fit this story thing I'm going to be quite annoyed because that is not how you write a story. If one part of it's crap and not up to standards it's usually better to just scrap that part and start afresh. You don't try to polish the turd.

There is an interview floating around somewhere, with Coldplay themselves, where one of them (I think it was Jonny?) admitted afterwards that X&Y did feel bloated. Bloated is different from full - full involves satisfaction of the food eaten. Bloated indicates discomfort, or just too much.

Now I would normally trust them with such an issue but these new singles have me a bit on edge on where they are going with this whole thing. We can only wait and see though.

I, actually, really like those songs. It's subjective, I know. But I like it. What If and The Hardest Part are sadly songs, but aren't bad cause it. Don't you ever feel sad? :stunned: I don't think these are "filler songs".

There's an interview (I don't remember so well), where they said X&Y was their best work.

Everybody has differents taste. We can't say it's bad or good.

Well I hope its longer than 45min...... I happen to think that 48-55min is about perfect for an album with 11-14 songs. No longer no shorter.....

But seriously shorter albums are overrated. If you have 14 great songs than put them on the darn album. I mean bands only put out 1 album every 2 to 3 years at the earliest anyways. Usually its 3-4 now for full albums...

Lets break it down so far:

1. Every Tear Drop is a Waterfall- 4:03

2. Major Minus- 3:31

3. Paradise- 4:39

Then add in the songs that were played live:

4. Hurts Like Heavan- Approx. 4:45

5. Charlie Brown- Approx. 4:00

6. Princess of China- Apporx. 3:50

7. Us Against the World: Approx. 3:30

So ASSUMING that all 14 songs on the album are NOT Full songs then lets add those 7 up.........and that gives us about 28-29min......Thats means that the average song is just over 4 minutes........

So my guess is that 5 of the 7 songs remaining are full length songs so add those up (MAJOR SPECULATION):

8. A Hopeful Transmission- 4:10

9. Up In Flames- 4:40

10. Up With the Birds- 4:05

11. U.F.O.- 3:25

12. DLIBYH- 4:15

We then add those up as projections and we get about 20-21min....

Then we add the following two songs as basically intros as thats what I think they'll be...

13. Mylo Xyloto- 1:05

14. M.M.I.X.- 00:45

So add all three phases up and you get about 50-53 minutes give or take......

Just cause I did all this work i'm gonna put my money on 51:42.........

So I think were looking at MINIMUM 48 minutes unless U.F.O. is an intro too....

1. mylo xyloto 3:30 (still up for debate though if that's accurate)

2. hurts like heaven 4:00 (based on live performance)

3. paradise 4:30 roughly (confirmed)

4. charlie brown 4:30 (based on live performance and includes piano outro)

5. us against the world 3:30 (based on live performance)

6. mmix (unknown)

7. every teardrop is a waterfall 4:00 roughly (confirmed)

8. major minus 3:30 roughly (confirmed)

9. ufo (unknown)

10. princess of china 3:30 (again based off live performance)

11. up in flames 3:15 (based on live performance)

12. a hopeful transmission (i expect an instrumental but unknown)

13. dont let it break your heart (might find out at acl)

14. up with the birds (unknown)

so that leaves us with this:

5 songs that are still up in the air

9 songs that add up to about 34 minutes

if each of the other songs is about 3 minutes average thats 48 - 50 minutes

it will be interesting to see how my calculations add up