✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[9-Sep-2012] Coldplay @ Paralympics Closing Ceremony, London, UK (please post your reviews for Wiki,

Wow , so like the Super Wonderful all around . Bravo guys !!!;):)

It was an awesome show all around. Everything was so beautiful. All the dancers and kids, performers, musicians. The arrangement for Strawberry Swing was beyond words. What a delight to hear it finally after all those teases at the shows. Nice to finally hear the song this way. :heart:

The collaboration with Rihanna was very well done and classy and her on the swing. She looked so classy and beautiful. Both of them.

Wonderful salute to the Paralympics with Coldplay around. Para-orchestra, Para-lympics(Paradise):flutterby:. Just how brillant that all tied into things. :awesome: Thanks Coldplay for choosing to be part of the Paralympics in such a great way.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They pulled it off. I wondered how shy and reserved Chris was going to do a duet with one Rihanna. Things have improved 1000 fold since the Grammys.

Yes, exactly! I thought the same - so much better now! I think this has also to do with the fact that they have done the video together were there are also intimate moments.

Yes, exactly! I thought the same - so much better now! I think this has also to do with the fact that they have done the video together were there are also intimate moments.

:nod: The shooting of the video probably permitted to break the ice and feel more comfortable

I agree. Even with the breaks this time around, touring is grueling and they need and deserve a break. Their Christmas break is coming up in a couple of months, and their South American dates don't seem to be confirmed yet. Even if they are, some time off is coming soon and they need it. They do sound amazing overall though.:)

Really? I thought they sounded great........

The only fault from UATW was that Chris fudged the guitar at one point after the 1st chorus. Moreover, I'm very very happy that they played the album version intro, which they've not done before. It's funny because R42 tweeted they were trying it with a new intro months ago...and now they've done it!

I thought they sounded great, too. Some versions here - like of Charlie Brown, for instance - I thought were as good as I've ever heard them. They seemed so energized by the performers and spectacle all around them. It was so great to hear the Viva songs, especially Strawberry Swing; I just couldn't believe the moment when Jonny's opening chords came in over the orchestra - magical. Well done to everyone involved! Just a gentle, thoughtful, subtle and yet boisterous show all the way around.

Jay-Z Defends Performing New Coldplay 'Paradise' Verse At Paralympics Closing Ceremony

jay--z-live-at-the-paralympics-closing-ceremony-2012-1347264889-article-0.jpg

The 'Girls Girls Girls' rapper reveals the lyrics and inspiration behind his take on the band's song.

Jay-Z has unveiled the lyrics and the meaning behind his decision to alter a verse of Coldplay's hit single 'Paradise' during the Paralympics Closing Ceremony.

The '99 Problems' star took to the stage inside the Olympic Stadium last weekend to join the British band during their headline set and performed a new take on the group's track.

Taking to his Life And Times blog, he confessed that atheletes such as Sereba Williams, Ryan Lochte and Gabby Douglas all inspired him and that he wanted to make the verse as "inclusive" for as many people as possible.

"The thought behind the verse is, anyone with a disability, just wants a sense of normality – that's why they're competing in these games," he wrote. "That was the idea to make the verse as inclusive for as many people, and to make it as normal as possible.

The star came under some criticism for referencing American stars at the ceremony but insisted the influences include many varying aspects.

jay--z-and-chris-martin-paralympics-closing-ceremony-2012-1347265192-custom-0.jpg

"It's influenced by so many different things," he added. "There are parts that are influenced by Gabby Douglas, there are parts that are influenced by Ryan Lochte, and by Serena Williams."

The lyrics to Jay-Z's verse in 'Paradise' are as follows:

I deserve a gold medal, get on my level/

I deserve platinum plaques, to match my bezel/

I walk around with five rings ["five rings" being the Olympic Rings], so pimpish/

Welcome to the Paralympics/

It's paradise, this is the story of Gabby/

It's paradise, it's paradise/

Tears in her eyes, she sacrificed, he sacrificed, she paid the price/

This is everything, everything she ever dreamed/

She had nightmares she wouldn't be here, she made the team/

From the projects to the podium, accepting awards with my Rollie on/

Gettin’ Gold medals with my grill in [Ryan Lochte, obviously]

C-walking, cause all they see is a villain [serena, obviously]/

More belts than Phelps, Merry Christmas, my presence is felt/

Gold medals around my throat/

You can take everything, except the hope of reaching paradise.

Explaining the song further, he continued: "It can relate to everybody. "You can take everything," means whether through some tragedy you lost a limb, like an arm or a leg.

"Or, it could be something like you lost the mortgage to your house. That's pretty much the idea."

Rihanna also joined Coldplay during their set and all three artists came together to perform 'Run This Town'.

Meanwhile, Jay and wife Beyonce are currently said to be organising a fundraiser for Barack Obama's re-election campaign in New York.

link

just finished watching it for the first time, and im speechless. what a breathtaking show. not the band's best performance but who cares it was spectacular. and Politik at the end?! WOWW gave me goosebumps. how they've come this far is an example of what talent and determination can bring you

I'm so glad they put the ceremony on YouTube :nice: It was a brilliant show!

The staging, the story around the four seasons was great: I had a "coup de coeur" for the winter with the giant crows and the ice queen!

All the artists (dancers, acrobats...) doing their thing to Coldplay's live music was awesome!

I'm glad they played "42", it's nice to hear this one live! "Strawberry Swing" with the British Paraochestra was nice! And the Viva chant at the end made me smile!

But Chris had some trouble hitting high notes during some songs. And I didn't really like the second "Paradise" with Jay-Z.

The orchestral version of "Politik" was great!

And I totally adored the leds on the seats all around the stadium: so pretty!

• 11 months later...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/coldplaying">@coldplaying</a> coldplay memorabilia from Olympics being sold on eBay in 24 hours <a href="http://t.co/9OSfG2iMb0">pic.twitter.com/9OSfG2iMb0</a></p>— Emz-Louise Isaacs (@emma_isaacs) <a href="https://twitter.com/emma_isaacs/statuses/375585458987995136">September 5, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BTZYe5rIEAAbjJI.jpg

• 11 months later...
where's the multi-media thread for this I can't find it?? Anyone Help???

Can't see it. If anyone has a copy of this (hopefully the one without the commentary), please upload it and you can create a new thread on MX section in multimedia :)

• 2 months later...
I'll see what I can do about that.

In case you don't have it, I have two files of this performance that I could upload: A 6.39 GB MKV file recorded from sky sport HD without commentary and a 1.96 GB MKV file recorded from 4hd without commentary. But I'm not going to start uploading them before I know if you're uploading something, I don't think people need the same file twice ;)

In case you don't have it, I have two files of this performance that I could upload: A 6.39 GB MKV file recorded from sky sport HD without commentary and a 1.96 GB MKV file recorded from 4D without commentary. But I'm not going to start uploading them before I know if you're uploading something, I don't think people need the same file twice ;)

what either of you post would be more than generous! id just like one without the commentary! :)

As no has uploaded anything yet for two days and to prevent myself from forgetting what I promised I uploaded the recording of the chanel 4hd broadcast in the multimedia thread. The other file that I have is so big that it would take days to up- and download.