✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay will release track "Atlas" from "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" soundtrack on 6/8 Sept

Tash

Coldplay has overtaken The Beetles

Haha reminds me of this:

http://www.nme.com/news/daily-gossip/53785

Way I see it, without the Beetles there would be no Coldplay. Without Elvis there would be no Beatles. Without soul & blues there would be no Elvis.

If you're interested in how artists influence each other, and how ideas overlap in general- I highly recommend you watch this short web series:

http://everythingisaremix.info/watch-the-series/

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Way I see it, without the Beetles there would be no Coldplay. Without Elvis there would be no Beatles. Without soul & blues there would be no Elvis.

You sir, get a gold star and a pat on the back. (please note that gold stars are non-refundable)

This made me grin since my band is called The Beegle Incident mis-spelled as areversal of the Beatles spelling, lol..

Back on topic. I think it's wonderful to see Someone so proud of the guys. But I think they've already made their mark on music History to come. Whether they will be remembered alongside the Beatles, Stones etc. remains to be seen. But it could happen.:)

Sorry for the typo.

Thanks for what you said. I agree, they have made their mark, but as you pointed out, time will tell how they will be remembered in years to come.

I'm sorry that others feel the need to criticize an opinion, I was under the impression that this was a site for fans of Coldplay; is it so unusual to find a person who thinks the world of a band they saw grow from the start, expressing their admiration on their fan site?

Naturally artists influence artists, it would be foolish to deny it, but the reason bands like the Beatles influenced them was because they reinforced a genre that was not as popular in the 90s. Coldplay produces music we can all enjoy, and while firmly clinging to their original signature, each album shows a progression. Michael Jackson had a long break between his 'Bad' album and 'Dangerous', and the launch of 'Dangerous' was quite a shock to me as it didn't just reflect the genre of the time, but jumped substantially far into the future of music. Michael Jackson reinvented himself in 'Dangerous', and in my humble opinion, lost the signature that 'Off The Wall' had introduced, 'Thriller' reinforced, and 'Bad' complimented. Coldplay has moved from the Beatles genre, with Parachutes, to a touch of electronic in MX, and it has been a gentle progression over time, ensuring that each album builds on their current fan base, rather than alienate sections of it in the hope of finding a new bred.

Once again, this is just my opinion.

I'm sorry that others feel the need to criticize an opinion, I was under the impression that this was a site for fans of Coldplay; is it so unusual to find a person who thinks the world of a band they saw grow from the start, expressing their admiration on their fan site?

We're fans, yes. But not a bunch of fangirls. I mean, if you're saying Coldplay is hands down better than Paul McCartney, you're basically saying they're one of the best bands of all time, if not the best.

I love Coldplay, but they're not revolutionary pioneers of music like The Beatles.

?I was blessed enough to see Coldplay on their first festival stage, second US appearance, When they were abused and insulted by a rock crowd who were there for Greenday and Maralyn Manson. They were in tears after that set, and the set in DC was no easier according to Matt McGinn. I've watched this band grow up and I feel a certain pride for having the good sense to have Stuck with them at the beginning.

I was going somewhere with this, but now all I remember is my delight at seeing them become what they became! Every step forward they Take makes me proud!

As I said, we shall see.

Sorry, but The Beatles are in a whole other level. It's not an insult to Coldplay. Coldplay is an amazing band with greats songs and albums. They are by far one of the best bands of the 2000's, if not the best. But The Beatles took Rock'n'roll and redefined it into all the different sub-genres like soft rock, progressive rock, hard rock. Not only that, but they were the first British music even popular in America. Before them, Americans only listened to American music.

If Coldplay is to be compared with any old band, I'd say the Wings (with Paul McCartney) are the best comparison. Both bands are commercially successful, have had critically acclaimed albums, and compile a lot of hate from idiots.

Sorry, but The Beatles are in a whole other level. It's not an insult to Coldplay. Coldplay is an amazing band with greats songs and albums. They are by far one of the best bands of the 2000's, if not the best. But The Beatles took Rock'n'roll and redefined it into all the different sub-genres like soft rock, progressive rock, hard rock. Not only that, but they were the first British music even popular in America. Before them, Americans only listened to American music.

If Coldplay is to be compared with any old band, I'd say the Wings (with Paul McCartney) are the best comparison. Both bands are commercially successful, have had critically acclaimed albums, and compile a lot of hate from idiots.

Coldplay it's not even in the best from the 00's, it's most popular band, that's for sure, but not the best.

^So who is, in your opinion? Not arguing, Just curious.

I think in terms of musical depth and breadth, and in terms of personal evolution, Coldplay are easily the best...my opinion as a musician, not Just a fan. That's not to say there aren't more expert players (Jack White is a far 'better' guitar player than Jonny, technically), but I don't think another new (well-known) band have had the same impact on the 00s than Coldplay.

Just my opinion though.:)

Good points. I will say Coldplay was certainly the most imitated band of the 00s for a while. Especially after Clocks. Every young band had an arpeggio-playing keyboard player and a guitarist who played long, repetitious high notes on a Telecaster, lol. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, Coldplay had it locked!:laugh3:

really? wow i didn'T know that :o

Yes ahahhaahhaah

from wiki:

After listening to Rice-Oxley's piano playing during a weekend at Virginia Water, Surrey in 1997, Chris Martin invited him to join his newly formed band Coldplay. However, Rice-Oxley declined because he did not want to leave The Lotus Eaters, stating, "I was seriously interested, but Keane were already operational and Coldplay's keyboard player idea was dropped."[6] Because of Martin's offer, and although Hughes and Scott were originally opposed to it, Chaplin joined the band in 1997, taking Rice-Oxley's place as vocalist and adding himself as the acoustic guitarist.

Last Friday was when they announced the song (if I remember correctly) so I wonder if this Friday they will release a short clip to bulid even more anticipation. When have the 30 second song previews gone up on iTunes before single releases in the past?

Mmmh bands influenced by Coldplay:

Killers

Elbow

The Temper Trap

Kodaline

The Fray

The Script (I'm friend with Danny's sister and she said that Danny really loves Coldplay :wacky: )

Who else?

Young the giant, if I hear them I hear Coldplay. Ofcourse not as good as, but you know, they are influenced by them like a father and son thing.

I think Coldplay would be remembered alongside Elvis, the Beatless, the Rolling Stones, Michael Jackson, Queen, Nirvana and even Madonna. Coldplay are together with Muse and the Foo Fighters the bands wich made the 00's.