✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Another's Arms

Tash

Like I said, it has nothing to do with lyrics being simple. The reason I dislike Another's Arms lyrics is that they are bad and they don't fit the melody at all. It's not just the lyrics though, the first two minutes of the song (apart from the intro): boring. And Will's drumming annoys me (too noticeable in comparison with the other instruments) but my opinion on that might change when I hear the album version.

Sounds like the song overall does not resonate with you. It happens :) I did not like Magic on first listens, but now I love it, so :)

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi here are my short 2 cents:

i find another's arms to be very, very good. i find it to be a bit haunting, which i seem to gravitate towards to these days. so if this were a "yes or no" situation, i'd give "another's arms" a yes!

Haunting is probably the main reason I love the song! Everything about is haunting and I can´t resist that vibe hehe

paradise = another arms doesn't make sense, they are completely different

I said Lyrically talking

Finally two songs entirely reminiscent of AROBTTH! Another's Arms comes out on top for me. The music is enough to forgive the terrible lyrics.

Always In My Head is like Parachutes-esque, and Another's Arms kinda reminds me a lot of X&Y, for some reason :p

Haha well that goes without saying...what I want to know is WHY people find Another´s Arms cheesier :) Any of you can elaborate why exactly? :)

I can tell you why. It's because Another's Arms has about 0.00001% pop influence because the band wants it to be a hit, and that makes everyone lose their minds. (It will still be a hit man I bet whatever that it's the next Paradise)

But most fans here hate when Coldplay changes to a more radio-friendly style, so they wish they just had stayed playing Parachutes and The Blue Room and the Safety EP for all their lives. They all prefer either the heavy guitar songs, or the slow acoustic ballads like AIMH

But the band won't do that:) They'll keep making masterpieces like Another's Arms for as long as they want to. Why? Because they are Coldplay. That's why

EDIT: Not saying that their old style is bad, just sayin' that there is nothing wrong with them changing and experimenting with new styles

well, this goes to show that we cannot please everybody. thats why coldplay needs to ignore whatever people say and just do what they want to do. What's good about coldplay fans are the fact that they are not pretentious and they dont pretend to like every bit og music coldplay churn out (unlike other bands) cough* cough* radiohead* cough* cough*

Mixed feelings on this one. Crappy lyrics are irrelevant when I'm talking about Coldplay, just because crappy lyrics DEFINE Coldplay. Still, it's a bit repetitive on my taste. And yet it's nice to get a straightforward piano song with decent vocals again.

well, this goes to show that we cannot please everybody. thats why coldplay needs to ignore whatever people say and just do what they want to do. What's good about coldplay fans are the fact that they are not pretentious and they dont pretend to like every bit og music coldplay churn out (unlike other bands) cough* cough* radiohead* cough* cough*

Well, I actually like Radiohead as much as Coldplay and still think that half of TKOL sucked ass.

I just watched the performance from sxsw. I was hoping to be emotionally touched but I think they were nervous and Chris is uncomfortable performing the slower tracks - he just can't figure out what to do with himself after their last tour.

The lyrics so far are super cheesy. I thought I was being too judgemental but I see many feel the same way. Hate to say it but it sounds like something my seven year old would write. I suppose the easier and catchier the lyric, the more the appeals to the masses but for someone who adores coldplay (the good and the rarely bad) I hope the rest of the album has some more sophisticated poetic lyrics. Chris hasn't always been the best but he had improved so much!

As for the sounds I am hoping for more piano. I know it doesn't suit the album title per se but I hope to hear more of an organic, classic sound than the synth sounds etc.

I am still optimistic. I remember I didn't adore mx until about a month later but the whole thing grew on me quickly. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think all of you folks here forget the fact that all the songs in this album are memories from ghosts, and then the lyrics are surrounded by that. They are going to be simple, minimalist and haunting, even if they seems like shit for some. It's like the last Daft Punk album's RAM, which each song are memories from robots, and most of the songs have simple lyrics, except for some jewels (Touch).

I'm happy that the boys at least adhere to this album concept, like in MX.

The sampled vocal riff (I think it's a sample) is cool. The honky tonk piano chords that go with it are boyish and fun. Reminded me of A-Ha

The rest is just...bland. First time ever I saw a coldplay show and I was underwhelmed. Felt nothing, to be honest. Chris (IMO) looked sad and unhappy even though he tried not to show it. Could it be something at home? I don't know.

Unlike many people here I consider MX to be amazing, a little worse than viva but in the same league for sure.

This... I don't know what to think...

Midnight is cool though)

For all those who hate cheesy/ simple lyrics, here's what the great Sir Paul Mccartney has to say about that:

"You'd think that people would have had enough of silly love songs.

But I look around me and I see it isn't so.

Some people wanna fill the world with silly love songs.

And what's wrong with that?"

-Silly Love Songs- LOL :D :D :D :D :D

For all those who hate cheesy/ simple lyrics, here's what the great Sir Paul Mccartney has to say about that:

"You'd think that people would have had enough of silly love songs.

But I look around me and I see it isn't so.

Some people wanna fill the world with silly love songs.

And what's wrong with that?"

-Silly Love Songs- LOL :D :D :D :D :D

Well.... it's all about the melody around the song.

It needs to bring up a emotion or a idea.

Mccartney knows how to do that.... he failed and succeeded in it , just like Coldplay.

I absolutely love this song, it's so Coldplay (AROBTTH like). I don't care about the lyrics, it's all about the melody which makes it a beautiful simple and typical Coldplay song and yet is something very new.

You worded this amazingly well, cause I agree with it 100%. I actually have never disliked a Coldplay song, ever! Cause regardless of genre/style, Chris's or Jonnys melody always stands out, but what happened here. Hard to believe this is really what they chose out of everything they wrote..

I just watched the performance from sxsw. I was hoping to be emotionally touched but I think they were nervous and Chris is uncomfortable performing the slower tracks - he just can't figure out what to do with himself after their last tour.

I also note that, Chris forgot how to play slow songs in a show like on the 2003? (Trouble, See You Soon, Everything's Not Lost, etc.) It seemed like he's still too deep in the MX-happy-party songs era.

My expectations are down, mainly because of the lyrics. If I look past that, right now I like Another's Arms better than Always In My Head and Magic.

This song is about being cheated on? I don't think they've done that before, unless you count Yes (a far superior song) which is about temptation, or songs like Shiver which aren't as specific. 'Late night watching TV' doesn't bother me as much as 'And I don't and I don't and I don't and I don't'. Someone said the lyrics draw more attention to the music - the only legitimate reason I can think of, although I don't see how better lyrics would be a problem.

The music has weird stuff going on without screaming to be sung in a stadium. I think that's great. Love the guitar and bass. Not sure about the woman's voice, but at least it's different.

As for the performance, it sounded a bit ramshackle. Chris was switching octaves and seemed insecure. Can't blame him, he has to feel naked singing a song like this. (Maybe the rumours are true, Gwyneth?)

For now, I'm curious to hear the studio version.

Edit: just realised it doesn't have to be about cheating. I don't know why I assumed it was. Well, there goes my theory.

I remember hearing the MX songs live and loving how explosive they were!

I'm really not sure on Another's Arms and Always in my Head.

The lyrics for Another's Arms are incredibly cheesy, hmmm

I am with you. When they first played MX songs in the German Festival, it was so freaking exciting, the new songs felt lively and triumphant.. The new ones now feel as if they decided on purpose to drop the catchy hooks, and stay low key..