✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Another's Arms

Tash

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I miss Brian Eno.

Also, I can't take the lyrics seriously. These may be the most 'literal' lyrics Chris has ever written. There is no mystery, vagueness, or room for interpretation.

Yes.

They need to bring in Eno in a major capacity again like they did with Viva, otherwise the next album might be 100% synths and cheese.

My expectations are down, mainly because of the lyrics. If I look past that, right now I like Another's Arms better than Always In My Head and Magic.

This song is about being cheated on? I don't think they've done that before, unless you count Yes (a far superior song) which is about temptation, or songs like Shiver which aren't as specific.

Edit: just realised it doesn't have to be about cheating. I don't know why I assumed it was. Well, there goes my theory.

Yeah, the more I listen to it the more I'm convinced that the girl dies during/after Midnight. I mean the word itself has a very dark connotation. And the lyrics from Another's Arms like "Where the world means nothing to me" suggests a kind of feeling usually a love's death brings about. "Put yourself right through me" makes me think he's clutching at the air, wishing she'd come back and all he finds is his memories of her slipping through him and out of his arms. And perhaps it's called Another's Arms because all he can think is 'how am I supposed to live without her warmth, her touch? All I have to console me is the arms of other women and they could never be as loving as hers but it's all I have. What other recourse is there to lessen the pain?' I think that's part of why Chris tries to emphasize the physicality of the loss with 'your body on my body' but it's awkwardly done because he's versed in emotion and feeling, not physical sensations.

The sampled vocal riff (I think it's a sample) is cool. The honky tonk piano chords that go with it are boyish and fun. Reminded me of A-Ha

The rest is just...bland. First time ever I saw a coldplay show and I was underwhelmed. Felt nothing, to be honest. Chris (IMO) looked sad and unhappy even though he tried not to show it. Could it be something at home? I don't know.

Unlike many people here I consider MX to be amazing, a little worse than viva but in the same league for sure.

This... I don't know what to think...

Midnight is cool though)

Same with me. I just felt nothing. And they seemed less enthusiastic than usual. Hope it's just the adjusting/transition period for them, I still believe them to be one of the most amazing live bands to see perform and also, their passion about music is unique. Hope they are not losing it, I want them to love what they do still. I guess I am just being paranoid.

the same story always complaining its nothing new since im a member of this forum i always read the same bulshit album after album youre not convincing anyone everyone have their own tastes in music and if chris was sad is because he is too perfectionist. i always read that he used to redo all the songs every time and the boys talked him out of it, nothing to be afraid of he is just a perfectionist he will be never satisfied.

Guest kmm1482

The reason I don't like the lyrics isn't JUST because they're simple (look at Fix You and most of Parachutes), it's just the lazy straightforwardness of them "Late night watching TV", sounds like a country song. "Your body on my body"???? In the past, when they were simple, they were heartfelt and lovely, this might as well be "Late night watching Facebook. I friend request you and I go take a shower" they just sound lazy. Hopefully it sounds better on the album.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'Late night watching TV' doesn't bother me as much as 'And I don't and I don't and I don't and I don't'.

WHERE IS THE THANKS BUTTON?

I was surprised that I actually really liked this. Yeah, lyrics are simple, delivery of them was pretty goood, plus that sweet geetar and i could hear the bass that everyones been raving about in the last few songs.

the same story always complaining its nothing new since im a member of this forum i always read the same bulshit album after album youre not convincing anyone everyone have their own tastes in music and if chris was sad is because he is too perfectionist. i always read that he used to redo all the songs every time and the boys talked him out of it, nothing to be afraid of he is just a perfectionist he will be never satisfied.

wut

It's a subtle song. I really like the melody but vocals were a bit off pitch at times.

I just took it as band rusty live and cranking it back up.

I actually thought they looked not sad at all but focused, energized and really locked in.

And amused as hell when those streamers came down - like - this may not work as well as the butterflies...

another listen and i didn't change my mind...it has opera ,skype, everything(you know the opera singing in the beginning and the skype log in log out sounds when guitar solo starts[btw reminds me of sunsetbitch :) theme [video=youtube;DI4AswnrAxA]

] )

....midnight sounded cool live.Anywho this song kicked magic and midnights ass by far.

batman are you mocking me with that penis ? lel :D

Just listened to this song for the third time today. Johnny's guitar playing past 2 albums- so simple - so strait forward- and yet so good.

And the piano!

For me- this has the makings of a Coldplay classic.

[btw reminds me of sunsetbitch :) theme [video=youtube;DI4AswnrAxA]
] )

"Last edited by wheresmypenis; 15-03-2014 at 10:14 AM. Reason: bad day"

oh man.

also lel @ people thinking "your body on my body" must solely be sexual touching with no emotional connection behind it whatsoever

But most fans here hate when Coldplay changes to a more radio-friendly style, so they wish they just had stayed playing Parachutes and The Blue Room and the Safety EP for all their lives. They all prefer either the heavy guitar songs, or the slow acoustic ballads like AIMH

LOL That kinda would explain a lot! Actually I was listening to Rush, X&Y, Viva and MX two days ago, one after the other and that´s the thing that strikes me most, is how different they are really from one another. It´s awesome to get a brand new vibe in each album! Of course some songs/albums are better executed than others, but overall I just love the variety! They are masters at changing style, whilst keeping the essential Coldplay signature :)

See: Midnight

I listened again to the new Ghost Stories songs many times. And I can´t at all find anything cheesy about that. Chris lyrics were always mostly simple (look at the stars, how they shine for you? hehe), but there is a sincerity to them that always moves me so I think they fit the band very nicely! That´s also why a lot of people don´t like Coldplay: they just don´t get their simplicity and unabashed sincerity.

anothers arms is perfect.... man i almost thought coldplay lost their mind; like the backing sound when guitar starts playing fucking awesome

I cud not agree more!! I find the song absolutely divine! This song as well as Always In My Head also have for me the two best Jonny riffs ever. They are SOOO enchanting! They just pull you along weaving their magic around you :)

The music is amazing, but the lyrics are rubbish. I tuned in on the streaming for the concert and my streaming skipped, it restarted while he repeated the "your body on my body" line and I was astonished.

I hope this is not a recurring issue with this album, where the music is promising and makes you feel something but then the lyrics just frustrate you because they're so bad. This is no where near Yes, that song was brilliant, both music and lyrics combined.

This just might be the worst song Chris has ever written lyrically in my eyes in recent years. So disappointed. When the music for this album is expected to have mellow tones, you need to understand that the lyrics need to be a lot better because people will actually focus in on them more. I can't believe this is the same band that wrote the lyrics to Prospekt's March, Cemeteries of London, Twisted Logic, Us Against the World, Til Kingdom Come, Warning Sign, and so on. It just puzzles me. Sigh. Praying the other tracks at least have poetic depth to the lyrics.

"Could you, could you come back?

Come back together

Put yourself on my back

And say it's forever

Could you, could you come home?

Come home forever

Your shoulders knees and your back

Will keep us together

'Cause you're the one I love

You're the one I love

You're the one I love

Ahhhh, ahhhh

Could you, could you come on?

Could you tell me whatever?

Tie yourself to a mast?

It's now or it's never

Gonna tear us apart

Tell me forever

It's gonna tear us apart

Keep us together

You're the one I love

You're the one I love

Ahhh, ahhh

You're the one I love

You're the one I love

You're the one I love

You're the one I love"

I don't get why some people, being right, say that the lyrics are rubbish but don't have any problems with songs such One I Love, which lyrics are one of the worst lyrics chris ever wrote, but no one seems to have problems with it. Guys, open up your eyes, it's not the first time that Chris, or anyone else for the matter, writes shit lyrics, I think that lyrics are being Coldplay's weak point since 1998 so, don't look surprised as if it's the first time that this happens.

I really hated a few of the lyrics on glass of water. That's when it all stared for me. Then etiaw just made me embarrassed. Paradise was also bad but I think it worked with the song and i didn't mind as much. Magic is pretty poor but once you fall in love with the sounds the lyrics don't matter as much. I remember reading Chris' family have him shit for his early lyrics on Parachutes. Wonder what they are saying now. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk