Keep us together

You're the one I love

You're the one I love

Ahhh, ahhh

You're the one I love

You're the one I love

You're the one I love

You're the one I love"

I don't get why some people, being right, say that the lyrics are rubbish but don't have any problems with songs such One I Love, which lyrics are one of the worst lyrics chris ever wrote, but no one seems to have problems with it. Guys, open up your eyes, it's not the first time that Chris, or anyone else for the matter, writes shit lyrics, I think that lyrics are being Coldplay's weak point since 1998 so, don't look surprised as if it's the first time that this happens.

Pull a well-loved album track as an example, then people will talk about it.

I agree that lyrics do seem to be a constant weak point but usually in stunning cases of it the rest of the song has problems too

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the One I Love lyrics may be simple as well, at least they don't suck.

They are both love songs, simple love songs so the lyrics are incredibly similar. Of the two if I had to pick I´d pick Another, because I like parts like "your body on my body" or that fact that using the simple concept of "another´s arms" in a few words you can have a full understanding of the longing this person feels and how no one else can replace that special one, in fact to the point that any other´s arms are "torture to me". I loved this part a lot, very intense. So yeah I guess like everything ppl see different things in lyrics.

I think that lyrics are being Coldplay's weak point since 1998 so, don't look surprised as if it's the first time that this happens.

Chris is very much aware of this! hehe But I think that you can´t have everything I suppose! Chris is a master songwriter, writes tunes half the musical world envies! So yeah maybe he is strong in music and weak in lyrics, but personally it never bothered me and I actually find he can come up with beautiful metaphors (like "rose bursting through the concrete").

Guest kmm1482

Everyone who keeps saying these lyrics are the same as every other is wrong. At least with the other simple songs, they were subtle and sweet. They weren't as blunt and straightforward. People mistake repetition with bad lyrics. In the context of a song, it works. "Late night watching TV... Your body on my body" just simply doesn't work. It doesn't get you to use your own emotion and imagination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think once the studio version comes out, everyone's gonna like this a lot more.

The live version fails in that the vocals are mixed so low. If there's a lot of effort from the producer's which

I'm sure there will be as well. I'm sure the the reverb will give Martin's voice so much presence in the track.

Which that's what's lacking and making his voice sound weak here...or lazy ..as someone put it.

As far the live version we're hearing, it was a failure of the sound techs. Or in how they recorded/streamed it, possibly.

Anyway, I would hope they would have it mixed much louder in the studio version.

I can tell I start liking the song much more towards the end..when the vocals start getting louder...then the song just sorta..popped. :)

I think once the studio version comes out, everyone's gonna like this a lot more.

The live version fails in that the vocals are mixed so low. If there's a lot of effort from the producer's which

I'm sure there will be as well. I'm sure the the reverb will give Martin's voice so much presence in the track.

Which that's what's lacking and making his voice sound weak here...or lazy ..as someone put it.

As far the live version we're hearing, it was a failure of the sound techs. Or in how they recorded/streamed it, possibly.

Anyway, I would hope they would have it mixed much louder in the studio version.

I can tell I start liking the song much more towards the end..when the vocals start getting louder...then the song just sorta..popped. :)

Yeah I think the studio version will be amazing.

You can tell they struggled with it live in the same way they struggled - or rather Chris did - with getting vocals right when they first started playing the sing VLV live.

It reminds me of PoC the first time we heard it, I don't know why. I just hope that they don't ruin it with Miley Cyrus singing the vocals or something like that.

:D just when I thought that there couldn't be a worse duet partner than Rihanna in the future (they'll unlikely ask her again), but of course I forgot Miley. Oh no, no I'm scared.

:D just when I thought that there couldn't be a worse duet partner than Rihanna in the future (they'll unlikely ask her again), but of course I forgot Miley. Oh no, no I'm scared.

I doubt this is going to be a duet. Back then with Princess of China, that song was first played at a private concert, if I remember correctly. This time I don't think they will make such an important decision after debuting the song at itunes festival, streamed live for millions of people. That would be lame. And I don't really see how this could turn out as a duet, anyway (so no Miley for you, fortunately).

I really like the song, btw, best from Ghost Stories so far (anything with a guitar solo is an instant favourite for me these days)

I thought Enya at first too. I think she also sounds like Katherine Jenkins - Abigail's Song from a Dr. Who xmas special. I really like the song, and think the album version will be much better. Looks like it was difficult for them live, but hope they work on it and keep it in the live shows.

Yeah, this isn't the type of song that Miley would ne great at but then again no Coldplay song would fit her style and I'm pretty sure the guys aren't that stupid to want her sing duet but you never know because Rihanna was unexpected and it still happened, but I'm not trying to assume the worst.

Enya would be great :)

18 March 2014 / submitted by Jordan, United States of America

Q. Hello Oracle,

I've been listening to Another's Arms, and I love it, but something about it seems like it could possibly be a duet. I remember seeing a video of Princess of China being performed before the release with Chris also doing Rihanna's part. Could I be right that the song is a duet and they're keeping a secret until the album drops?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

If the band were keeping it a secret until release date, I wouldn't be much of a secret keeper if I told you now would I?

I know there is bound to be a lot of speculation surrounding Ghost Stories but you (hopefully) know me well enough to know that I can't give much away.

That said, no - it's not a duet.

I think he just writes the lyrics down as they come to him and doesn't change much because it's how the song is 'meant to be'. Sounds like a strong argument but unfortunately it doesn't always turn out that well.

I agree. I think the issue is that on this album, Chris is singing in a loud-speech way - Atlas, Magic, Another's Arms, and Always in my Head all display this. Very dry with not that much reverb and it seems like it's structured to make the words better heard. Which is why it's so painfully apparent that some of these lyrics are a bit silly sounding. I will admit though, the final "your body on my body" is pretty chilling. And then when Chris whispers thank you....it's haunting but it's risky when your lyrics can be called "cheesy". Not the case with say, Yellow, where there's enough guitar stuff and whatnot to hide behind. By the chorus you hardly hear Chris saying "your skin and bones". It's all in the delivery, IMO.

As I said in my above comment - the reverb matters so I agree with your assessment.

I doubt this is going to be a duet. Back then with Princess of China, that song was first played at a private concert, if I remember correctly. This time I don't think they will make such an important decision after debuting the song at itunes festival, streamed live for millions of people. That would be lame. And I don't really see how this could turn out as a duet, anyway (so no Miley for you, fortunately).

I really like the song, btw, best from Ghost Stories so far (anything with a guitar solo is an instant favourite for me these days)

The guitar solo is nice, I agree. It's a little boring though relative to what we know Jonny can do.

I think the live version will be better because of the annoying effect in the back. What's its purpose?

Do you mean the "whooooooooo" noises on the backing track? That's inspired by some types of hiphop/trance/trap music (not sure which). I think it's a cool homage to that and fits the overall R&B-inspired feel of 3 of the songs we've heard so far.

I'm really loving "Always In My Head" as an opener now. Although the lyrics are quite simple, in that song I can get over it because the music sounds like it came straight from AROBTTH. But Another's Arms, like Paradise, has stunned me in its blatant simplicity in lyrics, which do not sound good at all. The music is great as always, but in "Another's Arms" it's going to take a long time for me to get over the lyrics and focus on the music like I did with Paradise.