✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Criticisms with the album?

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved this album (Coldplay's top 3 for sure) and my only minor critic would be about the transition from True Love to Midnight. Midnight is incredible, and the lyrics just fit the context after you heard True Love, but for me feels out of place melodically and it is the only transition in the album that for me feels awkward. Maybe if they done one little long interlude from True Love to Midnight as they done with Oceans to Sky Full Of Stars it would be worked better. But aside this, Ghost Stories is awesome.

GS is a good album on the first listen, but it will take some time to actually sink in and to hear all the nuances. i feel like this is more of a can't-really-get-it-right-away sort of album.

but, the thing that falls short right away are the lyrics. the simplicity and directness i can appreciate for several songs, but for most of the songs makes it look like the album lacks depth. to me it is clear this was intentional looking at the lyrics of all your friends and ghost story. the thing is, including simplistic lyrics in the album may backfire and miss the whole point of it for quite a few listeners.

like i said though, this is a very satisfying album, just need to digest it a little bit more to form opinions on where it stands in their discography,

I completely agree on your point about Johnny's guitar on True Love. It's an infectious hook that's still in my head. I also agree on Sky Full of Stars. I want to like it because it's there anthemic arena song (what they do best), but in the end it just sounds like someone else's song with Chris' vocals. And the standout for me is also Oceans. Loved it since the first live performance. And I think Ink does need some stronger lyrics to push it that one step further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its a really great hook, possibly one of the best he'd written in a song (assuming he wrote it) quite an intelligent hook.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Guest kmm1482
Its a really great hook, possibly one of the best he'd written in a song (assuming he wrote it) quite an intelligent hook.

The way it goes in and out and waves really fits the song. I hope there's more like it on the extra 3 songs

The way it goes in and out and waves really fits the song. I hope there's more like it on the extra 3 songs

The Target songs? No there's not, its leaked.

Guest kmm1482
The Target songs? No there's not, its leaked.

Awww! Sucks. I'm going to leave some surprise for Monday. Are they any good?

Awww! Sucks. I'm going to leave some surprise for Monday. Are they any good?

GS is quite good, more upbeat and guitary. I'm not getting All Your Friends. O2 is an instrumental which sounds nothing like O. They're bsides and you can tell why they're not on the album although Ghost Stories perhaps could have been.

Guest kmm1482
GS is quite good, more upbeat and guitary. I'm not getting All Your Friends. O2 is an instrumental which sounds nothing like O. They're bsides and you can tell why they're not on the album although Ghost Stories perhaps could have been.

Can't wait to hear them! Coldplay have been pretty lite on bsides since Viva, so any extra music is welcomed

The only criticism I have for the album, after listening to it about 5 billion times already, is how much "A Sky Full of Stars" sticks out. Even after the Pink Floyd-esque church bells and noise after "Oceans", I'm still not sure why there's a big-boom EDM track after literally 30 minutes of slow, melodic sounds. It's place in the loose narrative also sticks out. After "Oceans", where the singer talks about missing the one she loves and fantasizing about meeting her again one day, where does the singer suddenly get this burst of happiness from? How does he suddenly, out of nowhere, come to some point where he realizes he doesn't need her anymore?

"A Sky Full of Stars" is a great track on it's own, don't get me wrong, but it just sticks out like a sore thumb in the context of the album, both in it's sound and it's place in the narrative of the album. Other than that, GHOST STORIES IS THE BEST ALBUM EVA OMG!!1!!!11!!1!!1111

I've listened to the album several times now. My main criticism is that "A Sky Full of Stars" is on it and "All Your Friends" and "Ghost Story" are not.

ASFOS sticks out like a sore thumb from the rest of the songs. I honestly believe the record company wouldn't let the band release an album without at least one upbeat, radio-friendly hit on it. The part that kills me is that it is *almost* a great song. The production by Aviici completely kills it. As it stands now it sounds like an okay dance remix of a really good Coldplay song. I wish the guys just produced and recorded the song by themselves. I'll hold out hope that an alternate mix exists and may someday see the light of day, otherwise I think the album works much better without it. As others have pointed out, even if you like the song, it really seems out of place on the album and absolutely obliterates the flow.

"Ghost Story" is such a great mix of the old and the new Coldplay sound, and it is just such a great song, that I cannot believe it's not on the album proper and is instead relegated to a mere bonus track. This to me is the standout track out of all of these songs so far, hands down.

That same idea of a great mix of the old and new sound goes for "All Your Friends". It works in all of the newer electronic sounds that the band is working with, but I can still hear the band themselves in the song, something I can't say for a song like "Another's Arms".

AA to me is the song most let down by the production / recording techniques of this era. I could see it being pretty great if it was recorded as the band actually playing their instruments so they could inject some life into it and maybe bring some emotion, even if it's negative emotion and heartbreak. I'm sure it was completely intentional to have it sound so cold and dead, but it's also less than stellar lyrically and just a pretty boring song overall. It needed to be more compelling and interesting.

If you swap out ASFOS for GS I think you get the same uplifting release at the same point in the album but in a much more organic way.

Before listening to the album in it's entirety I really thought I was going to absolutely hate the more electronic sound, but with the exception of ASFOS and AA they won me over. It's a pretty great album chronicling a very emotional and difficult time in someone's life. If ASFOS and AA were a little more acoustic or 'human-beings-playing-instruments' sounding I would be declaring Ghost Stories an absolute classic.

I've listened to the album twice now and would probably rate it 7/10 at best. It may be a grower?

I'm not a fan of either True Love or Ink and prefer the live versions of Oceans I've heard recently. Before release there was talk about the album being sonically similar to parachutes, i have to disagree, this has all the production of MX without any of the energy (apart from ASFOS). On the plus side though O is beautiful

I've listened to the album several times now. My main criticism is that "A Sky Full of Stars" is on it and "All Your Friends" and "Ghost Story" are not.

ASFOS sticks out like a sore thumb from the rest of the songs. I honestly believe the record company wouldn't let the band release an album without at least one upbeat, radio-friendly hit on it. The part that kills me is that it is *almost* a great song. The production by Aviici completely kills it. As it stands now it sounds like an okay dance remix of a really good Coldplay song. I wish the guys just produced and recorded the song by themselves. I'll hold out hope that an alternate mix exists and may someday see the light of day, otherwise I think the album works much better without it. As others have pointed out, even if you like the song, it really seems out of place on the album and absolutely obliterates the flow.

"Ghost Story" is such a great mix of the old and the new Coldplay sound, and it is just such a great song, that I cannot believe it's not on the album proper and is instead relegated to a mere bonus track. This to me is the standout track out of all of these songs so far, hands down.

That same idea of a great mix of the old and new sound goes for "All Your Friends". It works in all of the newer electronic sounds that the band is working with, but I can still hear the band themselves in the song, something I can't say for a song like "Another's Arms".

AA to me is the song most let down by the production / recording techniques of this era. I could see it being pretty great if it was recorded as the band actually playing their instruments so they could inject some life into it and maybe bring some emotion, even if it's negative emotion and heartbreak. I'm sure it was completely intentional to have it sound so cold and dead, but it's also less than stellar lyrically and just a pretty boring song overall. It needed to be more compelling and interesting.

If you swap out ASFOS for GS I think you get the same uplifting release at the same point in the album but in a much more organic way.

Before listening to the album in it's entirety I really thought I was going to absolutely hate the more electronic sound, but with the exception of ASFOS and AA they won me over. It's a pretty great album chronicling a very emotional and difficult time in someone's life. If ASFOS and AA were a little more acoustic or 'human-beings-playing-instruments' sounding I would be declaring Ghost Stories an absolute classic.

Took the words out of my mouth. "All Your Friends" and "Ghost Story" not included in the album is madness. And the rest of your post is also accurately true.

I really do enjoy this album, I don't mind the lyrics much, as the music seems to make up for them, ASFoS is a good song, I just don't think it fits in the album. I really like Oceans and O (am I the only one who was basically in tears while listening to it?). The electronic instruments are good and really fit in with the whole theme. I would say that it would be better if the album was more up-beat, but I think in the end it wouldn't give the same effect. This album isn't supposed to be one to jam out to, or sing at the top of your lungs for as long as you live. It is a sad album, with a sad theme, and a sad story behind it , and I think it is one of the most brilliant pieces of mellow music (or even music in general when compared to many mainstream artists) I've heard.

My ratings are very close and I could interchange all of them in a heartbeat but they are...

VLV

AROBTH

GS

Parachutes

X&Y/MX (I really don't want to put one in last)

I really do enjoy this album, I don't mind the lyrics much, as the music seems to make up for them, ASFoS is a good song, I just don't think it fits in the album. I really like Oceans and O (am I the only one who was basically in tears while listening to it?).

lol no, you are not

http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/threads/99849-The-quot-I-Cried-When-I-Listened-To-O-quot-Thread

join the club, we meet every Monday, Wednesday, Friday

I think that ASFOS deserves to be in the album , it breaks the dark and melancholic atmosphere to put something different and Ghost Stories needs it ! However , i still don't understand why they made a Deluxe version instead of putting all the 12 songs together in the album , and combine O and O part 2 in the same song ... Would have been much better and it would have made Ghost Stories more complete in a certain way , even if it still a great record !