✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Criticisms with the album?

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think True Love is quite loved, but the ones who don't like it are more vocal, so the appearance of a hatred for the song is apparent. This also applies to the album, which is why it seemed like everyone hated to start. Now I know most people have it around third or fourth best Coldplay album, which is extremely reasonable.

Guest kmm1482
wow am I the only one who loves True Love?? Hahaha

Not at all! I can't get the song out of my head!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest kmm1482

ASFOS sticks out like a sore thumb from the rest of the songs. I honestly believe the record company wouldn't let the band release an album without at least one upbeat, radio-friendly hit on it. The part that kills me is that it is *almost* a great song. The production by Aviici completely kills it. As it stands now it sounds like an okay dance remix of a really good Coldplay song. I wish the guys just produced and recorded the song by themselves.

You're ABSOLUTELY right! The execs took one listen and asked "where's the Viva-like arena song??" There's no way this song wasn't forced onto the album by the label. It's so out of place, it makes no sense. I can't wait to get the Target version and replace it with another song. I never thought I would actually say that about a Coldplay song.

Has the album come out? Where are you all listening to it. Doesnt come out here until the 19/05.

Reading the reviews of it though on here doesnt fill me with excitement though. Hardly anyone likes it, and the ones who do like it only like it because its coldplay.

^Yes, the album leaked monday when itunes put up on first-play. You can go to itunes now and stream the album in its entirety or find a download at getleaks or many torrents. The Deluxe version has also leaked onto the internet and can be found at getleaks.

Reading the reviews of it though on here doesnt fill me with excitement though. Hardly anyone likes it, and the ones who do like it only like it because its coldplay.

Not exactly true! Lots of people love GS including myself, not just because its coldplay. Go download it/stream it on iTunes now and see what you think!

Has the album come out? Where are you all listening to it. Doesnt come out here until the 19/05.

I've seen two reviews online that are bad, and five that are good. Idk where everyone is getting the negativity from. Also, the people who said the album was bad only seemed like the majority because they spoke up so much. Majority like the album. I think some thought it would be the best album in the world, which it isn't, and their disappointed about it, but other than that, its a beautiful album with a lot of meaning and a lot of great songs.

^Yes, the album leaked monday when itunes put up on first-play. You can go to itunes now and stream the album in its entirety or find a download at getleaks or many torrents. The Deluxe version has also leaked onto the internet and can be found at getleaks.

Thanks. Just seen it now on itunes, visual album stream. I wouldve thought that this would stop people from buying the album.

Cheers, gonna listen to this badboy in a bit

^ It certainly feels like a Coldplay B-side. I personally like the lyrics, the mood, and how the electronics are more balanced with the instruments. It feels really convincing. I think this one would have fit in the album quite nicely for that reason, maybe in place of True Love, though thematically it wouldn't fit.

Ive only read a few posts on here though, mostly not sure about the album and how the album is overproduced.

Only time will tell as to how well received this album is

A great number of people including myself haven't posted our reviews of the album yet and wont do so until after its released and we've had a couple of weeks to properly make our minds up. Plus you're in the "Criticisms with the album?" thread so of course you'll be reading negativity. I for one have zero criticism with the album and think its in their top 3 to date.

^ It certainly feels like a Coldplay B-side. I personally like the lyrics, the mood, and how the electronics are more balanced with the instruments. It feels really convincing. I think this one would have fit in the album quite nicely for that reason, maybe in place of True Love, though thematically it wouldn't fit.

Like the actual music is interesting. But er... that singing seems a bit... 'off'.

Ghost Story is the one that could've fit in imo. Perhaps in place of ASFOS. Such a beautiful song though. And the Coldplay b-sides are so wonderful.

I agree GS is a great song, wouldn't have been out of place on the album.

I'm wondering if GS(the album) is perhaps splitting new and older fans, I think the newer fans who only know Coldplay for their sugary pop stuff from their last two albums might be a bit dissapointed whereas older fans who like them for their older bsides and more introverted songs will "get" GS more.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

You're ABSOLUTELY right! The execs took one listen and asked "where's the Viva-like arena song??" There's no way this song wasn't forced onto the album by the label. It's so out of place, it makes no sense. I can't wait to get the Target version and replace it with another song. I never thought I would actually say that about a Coldplay song.

I too am certain that this was the case!

I agree that ASFOS doesn't really fit in the album, I don't think the album is really that cohesive at all. tbh i like the ideas/atmosphere of the album more than I like the actual product.

I disagree with the stuff said about ASFOS though

After watching the Zane Lowe interview I realise that the differences between coldplay's uplifting songs (even the older ones like Shiver, Yellow) really aren't that different from the huge uplifting EDM songs that are around atm. The chord progression in ASFOS is still uniquely coldplay, and if the song didn't have those Aviici synths people wouldn't a lot of the criticisms mentioned above. I think the song sounds exaclty like Coldplay, not just Chris singing over an Avicii song or whatever (i'm starting to think i don't actually know how to spell avicci)

But i guess the issue is that yeah, it doesn't really fit. lyrically + emotionally it fits in the context of the album but the production is so vastly different. I don't think this was label execs forcing a Viva-like song on there, i just think it's another example of poor structure/cohesion in the album

I agree GS is a great song, wouldn't have been out of place on the album.

I'm wondering if GS(the album) is perhaps splitting new and older fans, I think the newer fans who only know Coldplay for their sugary pop stuff from their last two albums might be a bit dissapointed whereas older fans who like them for their older bsides and more introverted songs will "get" GS more.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'm an older fan (2004 on) and I don't like Ghost Stories at all. I love their older B-sides(The World Turned Upside Down is A+) and I don't see how people are comparing older Coldplay with the amount of synthesizers and electronic on Ghost Stories. If there's anything more different from older Coldplay, these are the songs in Ghost Stories (with ~maybe~ the exception of Oceans[which I don't like]).