RELIVE COLDPLAY'S LATEST PERFORMANCE

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Really don't know how I'm feeling about AHFOD, an eclectic and ambitious mix of styles united in optimism and grandeur would be stunning - on the other hand another bland pop album with cliched lyrics and chartist tendencies would send Coldplay into the complete mediocrity they've threatened with lp's 5 and 6. I have a feeling this could end up being seen as a pivotal record in Coldplay's career. (Also at this point I love 3 albums and don't really like 3, so this is the decider :confused:)

Really don't know how I'm feeling about AHFOD, an eclectic and ambitious mix of styles united in optimism and grandeur would be stunning - on the other hand another bland pop album with cliched lyrics and chartist tendencies would send Coldplay into the complete mediocrity they've threatened with lp's 5 and 6. I have a feeling this could end up being seen as a pivotal record in Coldplay's career. (Also at this point I love 3 albums and don't really like 3, so this is the decider :confused:)

EDIT: I'm sorry for being a jerk. I didn't mean any offense to you. I'm not in a good mood so I shouldn't be posting.

with davide rossi adding horns to the new album, it will not be bland. it will be loud.

I feel a lot of the scrapped MX songs might make it to LP7. They seemed very different from the rest of the album -- and we all know how Coldplay loves to rework old material.

I doubt it but we'll see. Maybe bits and pieces of scrapped songs.

How can you say that LP6 had chart tendencies? The only radio friendly songs were Magic and ASFOS and radio didn't even welcome Magic. 80% of the album was your "old Coldplay" mixed with some electronic experimentation.

AHFOD will be uptempo (my guess is a blend of Charlie Brown, Viva La Vida and probably some e-drums but not very EDM like ASFOS) which is what radio and the general public prefer and that's the sound arena bands like Coldplay like to play live.

There is a reason Mumford & Sons has ditched their bluegrass sound to sound more like Coldplay.

I feel a lot of the scrapped MX songs might make it to LP7. They seemed very different from the rest of the album -- and we all know how Coldplay loves to rework old material.

I don't think so just because Chris is in a different mental state. He probably doesn't feel those lyrics anymore. Maybe some of the scrapped instrumentals will be reused by that's still very unlikely.

Anyway, everything they've done since Parachutes has lead to this album.

How can you say that LP6 had chart tendencies? The only radio friendly songs were Magic and ASFOS and radio didn't even welcome Magic. 80% of the album was your "old Coldplay" mixed with some electronic experimentation.

AHFOD will be uptempo (my guess is a blend of Charlie Brown, Viva La Vida and probably some e-drums but not very EDM like ASFOS) which is what radio and the general public prefer and that's the sound arena bands like Coldplay like to play live.

There is a reason Mumford & Sons has ditched their bluegrass sound to sound more like Coldplay.

You're completely right about Mumford & Sons, they have really changed their sound. I liked their original sound too though as well.

Here in Portugal Ink is always playing on the radio. More than ASFoS.

GS has a lot of chartest tendencies in my opinion. Even if a song is alternative leaning, Magic, Ink, True Love and ASFOS are all very poppy. If Coldplay decided to release these singles more spread out, like Maroon 5 does with their album singles (like over a year,) then I think all would have enjoyed airtime. They are simply really catchy and accessible songs. Even the other tracks are really accessible: O, Oceans, AIMH, AA, but they are just not happy enough or structured as well for radio.

I know this isn't the best thread to say it, but with the three singles i have heard so far, I don't think Mumford and Sons has changed really at all. Sure, there are electric guitars and some live drums, but the themes of their songs, the chord progressions, the structures, everything is the exact same. It is still about love, still anthemic, still folky, just electric. Believe though is certainly an example of them taking cues from Coldplay.

following the mumfold comment, they already sounded like sort of a more folky coldplay to me. as in there were similarities to begin with. but now the similarities are more pronounced.

If there's going to be a collaboration on lp7, these are the top ten people I'd like it to be:

1. Sigur Ros

2. Radiohead

3. Aphex Twin

4. U2

5. Noel Gallagher

6. Johnny Marr

7. Richard Ashcroft/Nick McCabe

8. Amorphous Androgynous

9. Four Tet

10. Damon Albarn

Or y'know Nicki Minaj whatever -_-

You left out Rhianna again, oh wait that's apparently really happening :dozey:

You're completely right about Mumford & Sons, they have really changed their sound. I liked their original sound too though as well.

Me too, Believe sounded a bit like Coldplay which was OK. But hearing the album now, the whole just sounds uninspired. Huge fan of the first two though.

i was thinking of how GS was received and to me, the songs that were best received were midnight and magic. to think midnight wasn't even an official single and still raked in 30+ million views in youtube shows its' impact. it showed that coldplay are better received when they go a bit weird/left-field. i hope the band would acknowledge that in lp7. you can make non-generic pop, happy, hopeful music, and i'm hoping for that.

i was thinking of how GS was received and to me, the songs that were best received were midnight and magic. to think midnight wasn't even an official single and still raked in 30+ million views in youtube shows its' impact. it showed that coldplay are better received when they go a bit weird/left-field. i hope the band would acknowledge that in lp7. you can make non-generic pop, happy, hopeful music, and i'm hoping for that.

coldplay have a HUGE fanbase, that's one of the reasons they're so successful. Anything that coldplay releases will always turn to gold. midnight was polarizing because it sounded strange, not like coldplay at all. some people liked it and others didn't. I liked it and coldplayers will love pretty much anything the band releases, even if it's just instrumentals with no lyrics. haha. and lp7 won't be pop this time.

Also take into account it was that first thing they released after the hiatus. That would help the viewcount big time as well

I think the singles of A Head Full of Dreams will get more attention as the band will launch a "proper" worldwide tour in support of the album (plus the individual promotion of the singles). Having said that, in a critic's point of view, everything else will depend on what will Coldplay release this time around. This thread had became sort of a wishlist and a mixbag of speculations but the next album will sure to top the charts again as with all their previous releases... I think one of the reasons why Coldplay have maintained their huge fan base is that even though they continue to experiment with a wide array of instruments, soundscapes and genres, their signature "Coldplay-ish" sound is still embedded in their songs and in their albums in general. I'm not expecting a revolutionary/innovative album but I'm certainly expecting it to be good. Some of my fave bands had a great 7th album (see Radiohead's In Rainbows, U2's Achtung baby and The Beatles' Revolver).

I want better lyrics and a clean but raw production (like parachutes)

i dont really care about the genre anymore as i listen to everything, from rap to metal, and i know they can play everything really so the thing i really care about is lyrics and production, i never really had problems with instrumentals