✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

i know most of us long for a return to pre mylo styles. but think of it in terms of the band. it must be boring to be repetitive, they have said so multiple times themselves. also, as established a band as they are, they get a lot of scrutiny and one that has generally been throughout their career is that they sound samey. i know, we whole heartedly disagree with this and most of this thread is about that. but that is a general comment made about coldplay's music. i don't think we'll see the band embracing a previous era, at least for lp7. no matter how much we may want.

when you look at parachutes to viva, you can see some maturity in themes. but recently, the comments we hear more and more seem to target the teenagers that embrace bubble gum pop. for me, new musical territories are exciting, but as long as coldplay make mature music that doesn't target the top40 crowd, i think i can be somewhat satisfied.

and also, regarding x&y, the main reason some don't like it as well as the band to have been very critical of the album, is that it is not different enough from a rush of blood, which was fantastic album to try and redo. just think clocks vs. speed of sound.

I believe ahfod will be more rockier than mylo and viva because they never make the same album twice or the same style of music twice, i'm super excited to find out :)

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i know most of us long for a return to pre mylo styles. but think of it in terms of the band. it must be boring to be repetitive, they have said so multiple times themselves. also, as established a band as they are, they get a lot of scrutiny and one that has generally been throughout their career is that they sound samey. i know, we whole heartedly disagree with this and most of this thread is about that. but that is a general comment made about coldplay's music. i don't think we'll see the band embracing a previous era, at least for lp7. no matter how much we may want.

when you look at parachutes to viva, you can see some maturity in themes. but recently, the comments we hear more and more seem to target the teenagers that embrace bubble gum pop. for me, new musical territories are exciting, but as long as coldplay make mature music that doesn't target the top40 crowd, i think i can be somewhat satisfied.

and also, regarding x&y, the main reason some don't like it as well as the band to have been very critical of the album, is that it is not different enough from a rush of blood, which was fantastic album to try and redo. just think clocks vs. speed of sound.

Yes, yes and yes. Everything here I totally agree with

More guitar!!! I just want more guitar!!!

Like imagine if the first single comes out and it's 7 mins long, with a massive riff and stadium chorus - and loaded with guitar!

Because Ghost Stories was such a personal Chris-centric album, AHFOD should be one for the band, lots of instrumentation and layers of bass, guitar and drums - like Viva was, but heavier and with something to prove...THAT would be the way to end the cycle, finally proving all the people who call them bland and MOR wrong.

^ What you describe here is something the band is definitely capable of and its what we would prefer but again it goes back to a point which I've mentioned many times on here. The band has to want it to happen. Trying to be different from your previous records just isn't enough. You have to be willing to experiment and risk and improve your musicianship to create more complex mature sounds. Difference doesn't equate to greatness. Just because you transition from alt rock to sugary pop doesn't mean you've improved. In fact it doesn't mean anything! They're just hopping genres.

They seriously need to challenge themselves musically and artistically. Otherwise they'll forever be remembered as a bland mediocre band who never proved anything in terms of contribution to the whole rock music scene.

^ What you describe here is something the band is definitely capable of and its what we would prefer but again it goes back to a point which I've mentioned many times on here. The band has to want it to happen. Trying to be different from your previous records just isn't enough. You have to be willing to experiment and risk and improve your musicianship to create more complex mature sounds. Difference doesn't equate to greatness. Just because you transition from alt rock to sugary pop doesn't mean you've improved. In fact it doesn't mean anything! They're just hopping genres.

They seriously need to challenge themselves musically and artistically. Otherwise they'll forever be remembered as a bland mediocre band who never proved anything in terms of contribution to the whole rock music scene.

where else can they go? they've done pop, pop rock and alternative rock, there has to be a fine line to how far they can experiment. they better make the next album a great rock album. then again, I know i'm going to buy whatever they are going to release because the band makes amazing music :D

I 100% agree. Albums 1-4 it seemed like they had a chip on their shoulder each step of the way. They talked about wanting to make their fans proud to like Coldplay. Since MX all we hear from Chris is how they are just making music that they like and pay no mind to criticism. This is sad because I think what makes a band improve is when they have something to prove. I get the feeling they are just coasting. "We were bigger than we were better" - A quote from Will during the Viva era talking about X&Y. Should follow that advice once again.

I 100% agree. Albums 1-4 it seemed like they had a chip on their shoulder each step of the way. They talked about wanting to make their fans proud to like Coldplay. Since MX all we hear from Chris is how they are just making music that they like and pay no mind to criticism. This is sad because I think what makes a band improve is when they have something improve. I get the feeling they are just coasting. "We were bigger than we were better" - A quote from Will during the Viva era talking about X&Y. Should follow that advice once again.

This was the interview you are refering to : http://www.coldplaying.com/coldplay-wanted-to-get-better-not-bigger/

Less competitiveness, yeah. I think having more freedom with no distractions can be a great benefit for them but sometimes, criticism can help improve them too. Hopefully they don't become 'yes men' to everything. Will's great seal of disapproval might come in handy ;)

This was the interview you are refering to : http://www.coldplaying.com/coldplay-wanted-to-get-better-not-bigger/

Less competitiveness, yeah. I think having more freedom with no distractions can be a great benefit for them but sometimes, criticism can help improve them too. Hopefully they don't become 'yes men' to everything. Will's great seal of disapproval might come in handy ;)

I agree Sparky :) Constructive criticism helps out a lot. Coldplay right are paying no mind to critics and are only making what they want. Hopefully we'll see things differently on a head full of dreams.

where else can they go? they've done pop, pop rock and alternative rock, there has to be a fine line to how far they can experiment. they better make the next album a great rock album. then again, I know i'm going to buy whatever they are going to release because the band makes amazing music :D

They could make an album that isn't soft or pop rock, just rock. Less "Under the Iron Sea" and more "Be Here Now". Something that demands attention and oozes confidence - that can't be dismissed as safe, bland and MOR. An album of Politiks and Glass of Water's but BIGGER.

To be honest, this isn't gonna happen on AHFOD but on lp8, new cycle and no record deal, who knows? Anything is possible ;)

They could make an album that isn't soft or pop rock, just rock. Less "Under the Iron Sea" and more "Be Here Now". Something that demands attention and oozes confidence - that can't be dismissed as safe, bland and MOR. An album of Politiks and Glass of Water's but BIGGER.

To be honest, this isn't gonna happen on AHFOD but on lp8, new cycle and no record deal, who knows? Anything is possible ;)

You never know, we'll just have to wait and see :) but i'm still praying for more rock and no pop. Haha.

If any of these songs have a rap section, I will cry a sea of tears whilst listening to AROBTTH.

Oh yes, I agree.

They don't need Jay-Z, they don't need Rihanna or Avicii, they just need to get a grip on themselves.

Oh yes, I agree.

They don't need Jay-Z, they don't need Rihanna or Avicii, they just need to get a grip on themselves.

Yes, they are very ok without other artist.

Just I wish it won't be something electronic. A bit pop it's good but electronic instruments...they lost their "touch" and sometimes i can't hear the bass

You guys are clutching onto your AROBTTH cd's too tightly. Let loose, music is suppose to be a means of escape and catharsis. Who cares what it sounds like and what category it fits into. There is no such thing as a "real" or "fake" instrument. Anything around you can be used as an instrument. Appreciate music as a whole for what it is and what it can do. Only then can you see the world in a different light. Remember it's okay for things to change. It happens everyday! ;)

You guys are clutching onto your AROBTTH cd's too tightly. Let loose, music is suppose to be a means of escape and catharsis. Who cares what it sounds like and what category it fits into. There is no such thing as a "real" or "fake" instrument. Anything around you can be used as an instrument. Appreciate music as a whole for what it is and what it can do. Only then can you see the world in a different light. Remember it's okay for things to change. It happens everyday! ;)

A lot of people here have mixed feelings about mx and gs because they were different. I liked both albums but I have to admit, their earlier work was brilliant, it was their best work.

But I'm supposed to hate Rihanna!!!111! She's not a real musician lady. :sad:

Perfectly said! Think MX & GS fit perfectly in with the music as catharsis here....also agree that the earlier albums are some of their best work....and just in case they ever pop in here to say hello...gotta mention it again that perhaps more of the B sides to the A sides....we want the B to the A....[emoji8][emoji13][emoji6]

Yes, they are very ok without other artist.

Just I wish it won't be something electronic. A bit pop it's good but electronic instruments...they lost their "touch" and sometimes i can't hear the bass

+1

Yep yep! I cant wait to hear their music without any collaborations from other artists. I only want to hear their original sounds, Jonny's strings on a guitar and Will's drums (no electronic, please).

Sometimes I imagine Chris is going to be playing a song with a guitar he had on Parachutes for LP7. I think that would be gold. Oh and I miss his youngish face too :dazzled: