✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

There is a very strong sense of urgency and vulnerability present in most of their work, especially up to MX. Of course its not entirety to do with the songs' pace or even the theme of the record but more to do with the writing, melody and composition. And at times when they get it right, they're also grandiosely powerful and emotionally provocative. Some of these elements, which fundamentally defined Coldplay have been missing since MX which might be positive or negative; depends on how you look at things.

I've accepted their "exploration adventures" into other genres but I believe there should definitely be a line for the band. Paradise and ASFOS for example should have never been made.

I hope once their experimentation with the sugary melancholy pop has ended they start looking into the other side and see what happens if they try darker grittier rock sounds. Although that might seriously alienate a huge portion of their audience who're too accustomed to the current Coldplay.

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is a very strong sense of urgency and vulnerability present in most of their work, especially up to MX. Of course its not entirety to do with the songs' pace or even the theme of the record but more to do with the writing, melody and composition. And at times when they get it right, they're also grandiosely powerful and emotionally provocative. Some of these elements, which fundamentally defined Coldplay have been missing since MX which might be positive or negative; depends on how you look at things.

I've accepted their "exploration adventures" into other genres but I believe there should definitely be a line for the band. Paradise and ASFOS for example should have never been made.

I hope once their experimentation with the sugary melancholy pop has ended they start looking into the other side and see what happens if they try darker grittier rock sounds. Although that might seriously alienate a huge portion of their audience who're too accustomed to the current Coldplay.

That's what I'm saying, haha. There should be a limit to how far they can take their music, in my opinion, they should end their pop exploration and get back to alternative rock. Mylo xyloto was a cool album because it was a change in their sound, it was the first time they ventured into pop but when they did it again with gs, i was a little bummed because it was similar to mylo, electronically. I think ahfod will be viva-esque because of the horns that davide is using. The rockier, grittier coldplay would be incredible to hear :)

I agree. I also always found it weird that whereas all the earlier songs convey such a range of emotions to the listener, the one album that explicitly wanted to do convey a feeling, namely the emotional state of coming to terms with a love that is gone (GS), imho failed to do so.

Honestly, I think they are better at doing albums that are not concept albums. They don't need to define a subject for their album, if they do it well an album full of different songs will always have an overarching theme (Parachutes - melancholy, AROBTTH - urgency, XY - insecurity, VLVODAAHF - life verus death)

^That would be amazing, though, I don't see Aphex Twin ever working with anyone, especially the biggest band in the world haha.

I had yet another dream that AHFOD was surprised released like really soon and the album cover was this bizarre yellow backed painting/drawing with an outline of a head and all of these strange characters that looked like they were out of a van gogh/picasso painting. It almost looked like a cover for a detective book. Also, if you are familiar with the latest Father John Misty record, the cover in my dream was very reminiscent of that style. Unfortunately I woke up before I could listen,

This has been my third dream about the albums release...sorry. Had to share just in case I end up being right thereby confirming my future predicting abilities. :o

If u actually predicted that, it would be awesome

I hope the next album isn't a concept album. I hope the songs aren't meshed together like mx or gs, but are all very different like viva or x&y.

X&Y!!! best style, best costumes, best album...ohh song!!! Low, Speed of Sound, Talk!, X&Y!, Til' Kingdom Come!, ohh......i think the full album!!!

X&Y!!! best style, best costumes, best album...ohh song!!! Low, Speed of Sound, Talk!, X&Y!, Til' Kingdom Come!, ohh......i think the full album!!!

I know!! I don't know why some people think it's not as good as arobtth. It's better in my opinion. It's an incredible album! It's my favorite album and favorite era! I would love if they would surprise us and have a similar sound in ahfod :D

My favourite album is AROBTTH (as an album), but as individual songs the X&Y songs are great ! I dunno why many people don't like this album, and why What If is such a underrated song. I just watched the Glastonbury 2005 performance yesterday - awesome ! They should've released a Live 2005 DVD as well...

My favourite album is AROBTTH (as an album), but as individual songs the X&Y songs are great ! I dunno why many people don't like this album, and why What If is such a underrated song. I just watched the Glastonbury 2005 performance yesterday - awesome ! They should've released a Live 2005 DVD as well...

What if and swallowed in the sea are my favorite songs! When they performed in toronto in 2006, that should've been a dvd also, incredible performances of x&y, its a shame the band doesn't like the album very much :(

Thanks for mentioning the Toronto performance, I have to check it out then ! Yes, and I don't understand why Chris dislikes Speed of Sound so much, too. A Message, White Shadows, Low, Talk, Speed of Sound, Fix you, The Hardest part...oh, I shouldnt think about it, this makes me sad when I compare it to now.. :-(

The whole X&Y thing is absurd indeed but remember the views on this forum don't represent what everyone in the outside world thinks. That album is loved dearly buy many many people myself included and rightly so.

As for not following a very specific theme and subject you're absolutely right. As you mentioned correctly both GS and MX failed to convey whatever message it was they were trying to convey; for me anyway. Just no need for it with Coldplay. There are other bands out there who're technically more gifted and artistically more capable and they create masterful concept records. What Coldplay needs to do is get into the studio and say LETS JUST MAKE A GREAT ROCK ALBUM. And thats it.

I know!! I don't know why some people think it's not as good as arobtth. It's better in my opinion. It's an incredible album! It's my favorite album and favorite era! I would love if they would surprise us and have a similar sound in ahfod :D

Totally agree. I love everything about X&Y. By far my favorite album. I would love a more mature X&Y-ish sound for a future record, even if it were just a couple of songs.

X&Y Is a fantastic album but I mostly think of it as a great Coldplay playlist rather than a record. I don't know why. There is just a strange diversity of tracks on it from hard hitting alt-rock (Square One, Low, White Shadows) to straight up pop explosions (Swallowed by the Sea, Speed of Sound) and of course some spacey symphonic ballads and some oddballs. I love the whole feel of the album but overall it doesn't flow very well and sometimes Chris' lyrics get incredibly annoying for how mopey and cliche they are. Still a great era though

As for Lp7, I really don't know anymore. I am still convinced it will be quite electronic and probably pretty poppy, but I don't think we should fret. I think MX and GS are a little too sugary in some ways, but I think we should remember how great they are in their own right. AHFOD could be the same way. Sure we have tracks like ASFOS or Paradise that are maybe just a tad too radio friendly, but I consider tracks like MX/Hurts Like Heaven, Magic, Major Minus, DLIBYH, Another's Arms, Oceans to be all really great tracks with strong alternative leanings. I always say this, but AHFOD will most likely be a mix. We might get one hard hitting rock song but then we also might get something written for Top 40. Just the way Coldplay has always been, the only difference being that their "pop" songs have gotten a whole lot more "pop" and less "pop-rock."

Thanks for mentioning the Toronto performance, I have to check it out then ! Yes, and I don't understand why Chris dislikes Speed of Sound so much, too. A Message, White Shadows, Low, Talk, Speed of Sound, Fix you, The Hardest part...oh, I shouldnt think about it, this makes me sad when I compare it to now.. :-(

it's a great concert, what coldplay is missing now is great lyrics and some real instruments.

X&Y Is a fantastic album but I mostly think of it as a great Coldplay playlist rather than a record. I don't know why. There is just a strange diversity of tracks on it from hard hitting alt-rock (Square One, Low, White Shadows) to straight up pop explosions (Swallowed by the Sea, Speed of Sound) and of course some spacey symphonic ballads and some oddballs. I love the whole feel of the album but overall it doesn't flow very well and sometimes Chris' lyrics get incredibly annoying for how mopey and cliche they are. Still a great era though

As for Lp7, I really don't know anymore. I am still convinced it will be quite electronic and probably pretty poppy, but I don't think we should fret. I think MX and GS are a little too sugary in some ways, but I think we should remember how great they are in their own right. AHFOD could be the same way. Sure we have tracks like ASFOS or Paradise that are maybe just a tad too radio friendly, but I consider tracks like MX/Hurts Like Heaven, Magic, Major Minus, DLIBYH, Another's Arms, Oceans to be all really great tracks with strong alternative leanings. I always say this, but AHFOD will most likely be a mix. We might get one hard hitting rock song but then we also might get something written for Top 40. Just the way Coldplay has always been, the only difference being that their "pop" songs have gotten a whole lot more "pop" and less "pop-rock."

viva was pop-rock and that album was excellent, the band have gotten too radio friendly :(

I wish if they get back to alt rock again disappointed with last two albums there is good songs but not as good as old Coldplay songs but I think AHFOD is going to be agreat album I think it's going to be similar to the experience in viva la vida something new and great

I really wish they'd read this thread and do the hardcore fans, who mostly long for a style similar to earlier times a favor rather than the mainstream listeners for whom Coldplay is just the band that made Paradise and ASFOS and have these songs on their playlist next to their Justin Bieber and Kanye West and Taylor Swift stuff ! No seriously.

...are there any gifted musicians among us Coldplayers ? We could make our own album (a blend of Parachutes, X&Y, AROBTTH and VLVODAAHF) and release it as "A Head full of Coldplay" by "Oldplay" LOL

I really wish they'd read this thread and do the hardcore fans, who mostly long for a style similar to earlier times a favor rather than the mainstream listeners for whom Coldplay is just the band that made Paradise and ASFOS and have these songs on their playlist next to their Justin Bieber and Kanye West and Taylor Swift stuff ! No seriously.

...are there any gifted musicians among us Coldplayers ? We could make our own album (a blend of Parachutes, X&Y, AROBTTH and VLVODAAHF) and release it as "A Head full of Coldplay" by "Oldplay" LOL

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I think they owe their fans another alt-rock album. They've done enough pop music for mainstream fans and radio, it's time they make a great rock album for hardcore fans.

I vote for X&Y clothing and no curls, but A LOT of awkward dancing on stage and holding his arms in weird angles while singing...and the fairtrade sign and colourful tapes back on his hand ! Yeah ! :D

Lol....it's beautiful artistic expression....happy feet! Maybe we will see the cap on stage too! [emoji1]

i know most of us long for a return to pre mylo styles. but think of it in terms of the band. it must be boring to be repetitive, they have said so multiple times themselves. also, as established a band as they are, they get a lot of scrutiny and one that has generally been throughout their career is that they sound samey. i know, we whole heartedly disagree with this and most of this thread is about that. but that is a general comment made about coldplay's music. i don't think we'll see the band embracing a previous era, at least for lp7. no matter how much we may want.

when you look at parachutes to viva, you can see some maturity in themes. but recently, the comments we hear more and more seem to target the teenagers that embrace bubble gum pop. for me, new musical territories are exciting, but as long as coldplay make mature music that doesn't target the top40 crowd, i think i can be somewhat satisfied.

and also, regarding x&y, the main reason some don't like it as well as the band to have been very critical of the album, is that it is not different enough from a rush of blood, which was fantastic album to try and redo. just think clocks vs. speed of sound.