✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Radiohead+U2=Coldplay. At least ID takes influence from various bands. I think ID will do better in the music biz in the future than Coldplay did because each album so far has different sounds. Coldplay kinda had a slow start to fame. Yeah Yellow was a hit, but look at the live shows. Imagine Dragons has become an arena band only on their second album. Coldplay was playing a few arenas but mostly smaller venues during AROBTTH. Its not something to get upset about though because right now Coldplay is way more famous. The problem is if they make another mainstream pop album, theyll fade into the background like other pop bands. Nothing wrong with pop in fact i quite enjoy Twenty One Pilots which is entirely pop. The difference is that they use real instruments and have lyrics that mean something. Coldplays good but we are starting to see their decline.

I think they didn't want to play arenas at the start

I wish I could get my school to perform Up&Up but I don't think we even have a choir... all I know is we have a Jazz band and Concert band(which I'm part of) :(

Get those 2 groups involved! Youll have an easier job than me lol. If you learn music theory its really easy to compose. If you need help, just pm me.

• Like 1

Get those 2 groups involved! Youll have an easier job than me lol. If you learn music theory its really easy to compose. If you need help, just pm me.

Hmm... I don't know if I can convince the music teacher now since we're already doing All About that Bass (damn it:P). And if we do get to do it, I would rather try to do it myself. I like doing music stuffs:D Also it would be the first time I would be composing a brass section.

p.s Thanks for the offer, though:)

Hmm... I don't know if I can convince the music teacher now since we're already doing All About that Bass (damn it:P). And if we do get to do it, I would rather try to do it myself. I like doing music stuffs:D Also it would be the first time I would be composing a brass section.

p.s Thanks for the offer, though:)

Im doing it for a concert a year away, try suggesting that. And if you dont have a pro program for composing, i recommend using Noteflight online and creating a free account.

Im doing it for a concert a year away, try suggesting that. And if you dont have a pro program for composing, i recommend using Noteflight online and creating a free account.

What about Logic X Pro? It has pro in the name lol.

From the very start of this legendary thread only about 30% of it relates to the actual thread title.

Well you knda run out of things to say after a few months:) Actually we were talking about performing Up&Up so I guess it's on topic? lol

• Like 1

It's because this album fell short of people's expectations and turned out not to be a, err, musical revelation of any kind.

It's because the thread was created many months before the album release, and no one knew anything yet, so the majority of posts made it turn into a general discussion thread

• Like 3

I cant help but wonder what if the band had made a mini movie during the MX era based on the album where the band members were the car kids. It would be made out of a collection of music videos kind of like how Fall Out Boy's movie The Youngblood Chronicles is made of music videos for each song on the album Save Rock And Roll.

• Like 2

If anyone wants to read my responses to the arguments and posts happening since page 929, then be my guest! :)

there's a Different Between What Coldplay does and what we hear in the Radio .. i mean Ed Sharren Florence and The Machine Taylor Swift all these can called a pop Artist but their music is way Too different that sometime it feel like it's a whole different genre

I agree. Those artists can do pop, but actually really well. Now Taylor Swift might be a little bit of a different story, but her older music is definetely very good.

If you really think that the reason they changed their direction is because they wan't more money and not... I don't know, change of musical taste? I feel sorry for how deluded you are. The man who once loved U2, Oasis, and other rock bands now also (or more) loves pop. That reflects on the result of the music. Look at what he shares on Facebook. You think he forces himself to listen to that and like it to get more money?

Also, by suggesting that he does it for tgh money, you are suggesting that all the things he says about enjoying making the new album is a lie. I don't see how you can be a fan without even trusting what they say. People can decide to do things that may not look like "the artistic way" to you, but that doesn't mean that they are doing it for the money.

p.s. If you don't mind, please being so cynical and spreading hate all around this forum. I would really appreciate it if you left that in the Oldplaying thread.

One thing before I go saying anything else: I still like what Coldplay's doing. I don't mind AHFOD one bit. I can very well enjoy it. I like the new album. But, it is not a masterpiece, like AROBTTH is. So I have that out of the way.

So, yes, I do partially believe that he's doing more poppy tunes now because he has fun doing it now. If he enjoys pop, he enjoys pop. And unfortunately, he says that rock has nowhere left to go, which is completely and entirely false. In the mainstream, sure, rock is no longer there. But, he just needs to know what's out there. Yes, they did a few types of rock. However, you have a million more things you could do. They could do something entirely new if they wanted to. But why don't they? Why do they choose to make more mainstream-y tunes rather than trying something completely new and experimental? They know since they've worked with Eno before that they can always make something entirely new. And, hey, some of the tracks from the Viva era are very, very experimental, and sounds like something completely new. Honestly. But now, they're doing more mainstream tunes. And yes, maybe they do enjoy doing that. But partially, you have to admit it's partially influenced by money. They'd do the experimental stuff, yes, and they can. But will that keep them popular? Do you think it will? I honestly don't think so. Yes, they'll probably still remain popular to an extent, but now they've just grown into so big of a band that they feel that they have to do more pop tunes to keep the money rolling in. Of course they can have fun while doing it. But, they get to have fun, AND make money at the same time. HFTW for example, is definetely a song that would get popular, and Coldplay knew it. It fits perfectly into the mainstream of today. You just don't make a song like that without knowing that it'll get popular and you'll be getting tons of money. Bring Beyonce in, and you're set.

To sum it up, yes, it could be because they have fun doing it, but they also are partially doing it because of money. Again, you don't make a song like HFTW without realizing how popular it's going to get and the money.

P.S. @The Adversary isn't really spreading too much hate around the forum. They're just voicing their opinion, and that's fine. They're entitled to their own opinion, just like you are. It isn't hate. It's an opinion. Big difference there. You don't get to decide what's a fact and what's an opinion. (However, there is a fact that remains. And that is, that they're going more mainstream. And typically, at least sort of an artistic loss is expected from that. And arguably that's what happened to Coldplay. It's not all gone, as even with HFTW, as poppy as that may seem, it's still has different elements in it, such as the tapping on glass, guitar work at the end, etc.)

@The Adversary is right. You can't make a song like Hymn For The Weekend or Fun if it's not IN THE SLIGHTEST for attention or money. They are clearly trying to stay relevant. We could've had a pop rockish masterpiece with songs like the title track and Birds, but Chris' desire to stay somewhat relevant in the music world led to this album. That doesn't necessarily mean he forced himself to do this. He probably does enjoy listening to these pop tunes.

Lol you can explain it so much better than me xD

encourage them to do duets with Rihanna and Beyonce, Arianna Grande, Bruno Mars etc etc You don't do that type of thing for artistic or creative merit.

The thing is, Coldplay are actually doing collabs with the "better" pop artists. I have songs I personally enjoy from each of the artists you mentioned. The duet with AG was amazing. There are much worse artists out there...

However, there are definetely better artists out there to do collabs with. And I completely agree with you, you don't do this for creative or artistic merit.

Even if it is purely pop in your opinion, the lyrics mean something more than "I oh I oh I am feeling drunk and high, so high, so high". It is sad to see how Coldplay has corrupted what rock is and has plagued all of you with horrible lyrics, fancy computer sounds, and voice effects.

The one thing about this is, these "bad" lyrics are rare in the album. Yes, you have "I oh I oh I got me feeling drunk and high, so high, so high" however HFTW is a club song, and it is bound to have those types of lyrics. Nowhere else in the album does any lyrics like that show up. You have the bad lyrics of XMTS "You make my heart ba boom ba boom boom" and slightly bad lyrics of AOAL "I feel my heart beating beneath my skin" repeated. Yes, these are valid points, and Coldplay definetely overall has done a better job in the past lyrics-wise, but still, you can find deep lyrics even in the new album. You just have to shift your attention off the worse lyrics. Then, and only then, will you realize that Coldplay still makes much more good lyrics rather than worse ones. Hope you understand :)

Oh and "fancy computer sounds"? I really don't mind that if it's done in the right way. It doesn't even have to be something like Midnight for it to be fine with me. You can't keep using organic all the time. I agree with Everglow, that one got slightly worse because of the electronic drumbeat that is completely unnecessary. But I don't really mind it all that much, in fact I embrace it if it adds something to the song. If it's just there just because as in Everglow, I don't really like that however. Voice effects are something that Coldplay have never tried before. And I feel that they wanted to try something new on that one. They use vocoders more and more now. So what? It's all a part of experimentation and trying something new. Yes, it could be partially influenced by their pop direction which generally has more processed vocals, but hey, it adds something to the song in my opinion. Army of One wouldn't be as good if it weren't for that vocal effect. It's interesting to see what they're doing with it, and it certainly isn't bad IMO. (That being said, the remake of AOAL someone posted that removed the vocal effects is in my opinion slightly better than the original version just to listen to, and one of the reasons being that they replaced the vocal effect with something much nicer, and as a whole just made the song much better). And again, this is a choice that'll definetely split the fans. Some will support it because it's something new, some won't because it's part of the pop scene in their eyes. In my eyes, it's them trying something new, but also a natural part of getting closer to the mainstream pop scene. And, in some cases, there are better choices than to use vocal effects. It's a matter of knowing when to use it and make it not sound annoying. (IMO, they did this with AOAL because it wouldn't have gotten as popular as it did without the vocal effects. But that's why we have the people here who do remakes of the songs to take that stuff out if we don't want it! It's all good :))

But this is a problem I find with anyone who tries to bash AHFOD or Newplay in general. They say "oh, the lyrics suck" and they give an example of the bad lyrics. In most cases I find it's the same two lines from HFTW and XMTS. That's because, guess what, there aren't any bad lyrics other than that. They keep using the same thing to try to prove their point, when really they're blinded by just two lines, when the other thousand lines are actually pretty good. So, if anyone want's to bash Coldplay's lyrical abilities anymore, please use something other than HFTW or XMTS or that one part in AOAL and point out to me every single line in the album which isn't very good. Right? There's only three or so. So that argument is now invalid. Just had to get that out of the way.

Hah, I like how you first insulted me saying that what I said was "what a petulant child would say" but then deleted it. Good move.

Ohhhh, I see where you're coming from in regards to @The Adversary spreading hate around the forum... kind of needs to be more careful with their words. You are right in a sense. That's not really right, as I see you have your opinion too.

Don't care if you're "just being honest", someone who decides to go on a fan forum and bash everything new they make is just plain annoying.

He's not doing it repetitvely. It's not outright bashing. It's his opinion.

well Hymn for the Weekend is pure Pop and it get really weak lyrics

Wrong. I've said it somewhere in this comment, but I'll say it again: HFTW is not pure pop. It's pretty close to it, mind you. But there are elements in it that do set it apart just a little bit, and make it more experimental than your typical mainstream pop song. And generally, yes, the lyrics are weaker than most of Coldplay's lyrical output, but that's bound to happen since it was made to be a mainstream/club song. Not like I'd really want that though. I can listen to HFTW and enjoy it. Just me, though. It probably has to do with the fact that before I really really got into Coldplay, I listened to the radio a lot. And that's why you see me kind of enjoying the mainstream stuff much more than the other people in here. That's because when I was younger, I listened to the mainstream radio a lot lot more. And some of the appreciation for artists like Rihanna and such is still there. Since I grew up listening to it, I still have a thing for it I guess. IMO, even if it's mainstream, if it's a good song in my eyes I'll like it. And it doesn't have to be rock, yes it can be pop. It just has to be mainsream pop done well. And if it's done well, I don't care how popular it get's, I'll like it. And some of that is still with me today. And that's why I kind of still have a taste towards these more mainstream artists as well as the less known ones. Of course something really hidden and unknown and experimental I'll like, but I'd always listen to a mainstream pop song that I love any day over a hidden, less known song that I don't like as much (but still will appreciate given the artistry). Just had to explain that to any of you in case you were wondering why I kind of still like some of Rihanna's music and the like, etc...

However, there isn't one mainstream song I like from 2016 yet. Ever since AOAL was released, there's not one song actually released after that that was good. (Not sure if that other song from the Adele was released after that, in that case that's an exception).

one thing to add Rock > Pop is totally wrong .. for example i don't enjoy what Bring Me The Horizon or My Bloody Valentine does compered to Ed Shareen or Adele .. sometime Pop musics can be way better than Rock

Completely true. Generally I find that rock is much superior to pop, however the example you gave is perfect and I'm the same way.

Well I've just noticed something, I've just compared MX to AHFOD.

What a difference. Let's display this in pros and cons:)

MX's Pros

Is it me or do I love the title of this thing?

Works well as a concept album.

Will's drums sound real and it's only really in Up In Flames where they use electronic drums, but even though I don't like that song, I'm a fan of the drums in it.

Two words. Charlie. Brown.

The tour and the way this was presented, beautiful.

Some interludes were important.

The albums flow is very good.

Paradise was an outstanding choice as a second single.

The band felt more rock, with listenable and good production.

AHFOD's Pros

The title track with the U2 influence is perfection. If only the album was in this style...

Birds has a neat sound, very indie. The video is great as well, if only more of the videos were in this style...

The interludes feel more important on this album than on MX, there's less of them too.

The interludes were AMBIENT:D

The style of this album is quite a masterpiece of art.

Up&Up has Noel Gallagher.

MX's Cons

Up In Flames is just boring.

Too many interludes!

AHFOD's Cons

Hymn For The Weekend. Beyonce makes this track even more cringe, and let's face it some people don't exactly rate it live. The lyrics, the production, well you get the point.

Everglow. I found this song listenable and great to listen to at first. Now it's one of the ones I keep skipping because there isn't much to keep me interested. The lyrics are slightly better after HFTW, but it's a tad boring.

Army Of One. An attempt to make an Imagine Dragons style song. Lyrics are actually really good, the drums good, but the overproduction is just overwhelming, it's too much.

X Marks The Spot. NO.

Colour Spectrum. It's too short!

Stargate.

Having Beyonce as a featured artist, then stealing the Super Bowl off them (but not for me anyways)

Fun isn't a single yet???????

The fact that this album could change their direction.

Not enough real drums from Will.

OVERPRODUCTION.

This may not be a classic.

MX wins by a landslide.

Awesome list :thumbsup:

We could say the same thing for Parachutes. They just recycled Radiohead, Muse, and other bands.

To an extent, yes, especially Coldplay's earliest work. But Parachutes IMO has it's own feeling that I've never heard from anywhere else. There are obvious Radiohead influences, yes, but every band when they start out has "influences" so you can't really say anything about anybody. And then skip forward to Viva la Vida. Some of the tracks in there are completely innovative and have a completely new sound to them that no one had before.

The only artist I can think of that has completely original content that no one else sounds like is Topaz.

and the latter is basically U2.

(You're talking about X&Y)

Yeah. I've listened to U2, and sorry, but I can't find any blatant copycat things that Coldplay did in that album to rip off of U2. They sound different to me. (There are infleunces. But again, every band has influences).

Am I the only one who doesn't care if bands slightly emulate other musicians on their debut album ? I think Coldplay still quickly built their own signature sound based on these influences. Also, there is always a thing such as incorporating and improving others's style. There have been accusations about melodies in Viva La Vida, and while I still (of course !) hope they did not plagiarise it and it's all just a coincidence, I have to say that VLV is definitely better synthesis of melodies and a much better "end product" than the Satriani/Stevens songs containing those melodies. (Still I hope they did not plagiarize it...that would be unethical.Being inspired is one thing, directly copying another).

(I'm saying this in defence of Parachutes, not ID whose work frankly I never liked...)

Agreed with everything you said. I don't care if bands emulate others. It's their debut album, of course, what do you expect?

Radiohead+U2=Coldplay. At least ID takes influence from various bands. I think ID will do better in the music biz in the future than Coldplay did because each album so far has different sounds. Coldplay kinda had a slow start to fame. Yeah Yellow was a hit, but look at the live shows. Imagine Dragons has become an arena band only on their second album. Coldplay was playing a few arenas but mostly smaller venues during AROBTTH. Its not something to get upset about though because right now Coldplay is way more famous. The problem is if they make another mainstream pop album, theyll fade into the background like other pop bands. Nothing wrong with pop in fact i quite enjoy Twenty One Pilots which is entirely pop. The difference is that they use real instruments and have lyrics that mean something. Coldplays good but we are starting to see their decline.

First statement: maybe so, but they still have their own signature sound.

Also, I still honestly think that ID won't get as popular as Coldplay. Yes, with their debut album, it debuted at 2, and their current album debuted #1 but Coldplay debuted #1 in both their first and second albums, and kept the streak going for another four albums! And then just recently, AHFOD finally reached #1. So ya.

As for TOP, Stressed Out is definetely mainstream and popular. However, it is not straight pop. It has infleunces of rap, rock, and pop all in one, and those types of songs are pretty rare. Meanwhile they put their own twist on it. Definetely a fan of what they're doing there. They were able to make something quite artistic WHILE making it catchy and super popular. Which is definetely a feat. I'd love for Coldplay to get out of their pop phase, make fantastic music while making it get really popular, just like their older days :wacky:

Fun=Taylor Swift/Tove Lo

Hey! That's not generic!

Mobile Link:

Just wondering if this song rips off any musical artists. It's called The Unknown.

Wow. I honestly don't think off the top of my head that I've listened to anything similar.

The only example of a band ripping off another band is American Authors' Best Day Of My Life ripping off Imagine Dragons' It's Time. They used a mandolin with similar percussion and everything.

What??? That's not ID??? I was COMPLETELY convinced that was ID. No way!

Hard to say since modern alt "rock" and alt pop is basically all the same.

I've been finding this. On Alt Nation it doesn't really sound like rock anymore, I mean some songs do, but now it's just alternative pop more so. Which is still better than mainstream pop :)

Im sorry, but if you listen to the verse and chorus' on Fun, it's so dang similar to one of those Taylor Swift songs. I cant name it off the top of my head, but I've heard something like that before. Quite cheesy for Coldplay to do imo. However, I do praise the instrumental. The ambient electric guitar work is awesome.

Im sorry, but if you listen to the verse and chorus' on Fun, it's so dang similar to one of those Taylor Swift songs. I cant name it off the top of my head, but I've heard something like that before. Quite cheesy for Coldplay to do imo. However, I do praise the instrumental. The ambient electric guitar work is awesome.

Yeah i heard it this from Taylor, True Love (GS) reminds me of romeo song from Taylor and completely right i bet on instrumental version.

My sister is a Taylor Swift fan and she doesn't agree with you. And I've heard some of her songs (for obvious reasons) and I can't find similarities.

I'll widen the range guys, because apparently the similarities are not being seen. Fun sounds like a completely generic pop song from teenage-ish girl pop artists like Taylor Swift, Tove Lo, Katy Perry (what I mean by this is that Fun is a generic teen song).

EDIT: Thanks to you guys, I have Last Friday Night stuck in my head...

NOT COOL

If anyone wants to read my responses to the arguments and posts happening since page 929, then be my guest! :)

I agree. Those artists can do pop, but actually really well. Now Taylor Swift might be a little bit of a different story, but her older music is definetely very good.

One thing before I go saying anything else: I still like what Coldplay's doing. I don't mind AHFOD one bit. I can very well enjoy it. I like the new album. But, it is not a masterpiece, like AROBTTH is. So I have that out of the way.

So, yes, I do partially believe that he's doing more poppy tunes now because he has fun doing it now. If he enjoys pop, he enjoys pop. And unfortunately, he says that rock has nowhere left to go, which is completely and entirely false. In the mainstream, sure, rock is no longer there. But, he just needs to know what's out there. Yes, they did a few types of rock. However, you have a million more things you could do. They could do something entirely new if they wanted to. But why don't they? Why do they choose to make more mainstream-y tunes rather than trying something completely new and experimental? They know since they've worked with Eno before that they can always make something entirely new. And, hey, some of the tracks from the Viva era are very, very experimental, and sounds like something completely new. Honestly. But now, they're doing more mainstream tunes. And yes, maybe they do enjoy doing that. But partially, you have to admit it's partially influenced by money. They'd do the experimental stuff, yes, and they can. But will that keep them popular? Do you think it will? I honestly don't think so. Yes, they'll probably still remain popular to an extent, but now they've just grown into so big of a band that they feel that they have to do more pop tunes to keep the money rolling in. Of course they can have fun while doing it. But, they get to have fun, AND make money at the same time. HFTW for example, is definetely a song that would get popular, and Coldplay knew it. It fits perfectly into the mainstream of today. You just don't make a song like that without knowing that it'll get popular and you'll be getting tons of money. Bring Beyonce in, and you're set.

To sum it up, yes, it could be because they have fun doing it, but they also are partially doing it because of money. Again, you don't make a song like HFTW without realizing how popular it's going to get and the money.

P.S. @The Adversary isn't really spreading too much hate around the forum. They're just voicing their opinion, and that's fine. They're entitled to their own opinion, just like you are. It isn't hate. It's an opinion. Big difference there. You don't get to decide what's a fact and what's an opinion. (However, there is a fact that remains. And that is, that they're going more mainstream. And typically, at least sort of an artistic loss is expected from that. And arguably that's what happened to Coldplay. It's not all gone, as even with HFTW, as poppy as that may seem, it's still has different elements in it, such as the tapping on glass, guitar work at the end, etc.)

Lol you can explain it so much better than me xD

The thing is, Coldplay are actually doing collabs with the "better" pop artists. I have songs I personally enjoy from each of the artists you mentioned. The duet with AG was amazing. There are much worse artists out there...

However, there are definetely better artists out there to do collabs with. And I completely agree with you, you don't do this for creative or artistic merit.

The one thing about this is, these "bad" lyrics are rare in the album. Yes, you have "I oh I oh I got me feeling drunk and high, so high, so high" however HFTW is a club song, and it is bound to have those types of lyrics. Nowhere else in the album does any lyrics like that show up. You have the bad lyrics of XMTS "You make my heart ba boom ba boom boom" and slightly bad lyrics of AOAL "I feel my heart beating beneath my skin" repeated. Yes, these are valid points, and Coldplay definetely overall has done a better job in the past lyrics-wise, but still, you can find deep lyrics even in the new album. You just have to shift your attention off the worse lyrics. Then, and only then, will you realize that Coldplay still makes much more good lyrics rather than worse ones. Hope you understand :)

Oh and "fancy computer sounds"? I really don't mind that if it's done in the right way. It doesn't even have to be something like Midnight for it to be fine with me. You can't keep using organic all the time. I agree with Everglow, that one got slightly worse because of the electronic drumbeat that is completely unnecessary. But I don't really mind it all that much, in fact I embrace it if it adds something to the song. If it's just there just because as in Everglow, I don't really like that however. Voice effects are something that Coldplay have never tried before. And I feel that they wanted to try something new on that one. They use vocoders more and more now. So what? It's all a part of experimentation and trying something new. Yes, it could be partially influenced by their pop direction which generally has more processed vocals, but hey, it adds something to the song in my opinion. Army of One wouldn't be as good if it weren't for that vocal effect. It's interesting to see what they're doing with it, and it certainly isn't bad IMO. (That being said, the remake of AOAL someone posted that removed the vocal effects is in my opinion slightly better than the original version just to listen to, and one of the reasons being that they replaced the vocal effect with something much nicer, and as a whole just made the song much better). And again, this is a choice that'll definetely split the fans. Some will support it because it's something new, some won't because it's part of the pop scene in their eyes. In my eyes, it's them trying something new, but also a natural part of getting closer to the mainstream pop scene. And, in some cases, there are better choices than to use vocal effects. It's a matter of knowing when to use it and make it not sound annoying. (IMO, they did this with AOAL because it wouldn't have gotten as popular as it did without the vocal effects. But that's why we have the people here who do remakes of the songs to take that stuff out if we don't want it! It's all good :))

But this is a problem I find with anyone who tries to bash AHFOD or Newplay in general. They say "oh, the lyrics suck" and they give an example of the bad lyrics. In most cases I find it's the same two lines from HFTW and XMTS. That's because, guess what, there aren't any bad lyrics other than that. They keep using the same thing to try to prove their point, when really they're blinded by just two lines, when the other thousand lines are actually pretty good. So, if anyone want's to bash Coldplay's lyrical abilities anymore, please use something other than HFTW or XMTS or that one part in AOAL and point out to me every single line in the album which isn't very good. Right? There's only three or so. So that argument is now invalid. Just had to get that out of the way.

Ohhhh, I see where you're coming from in regards to @The Adversary spreading hate around the forum... kind of needs to be more careful with their words. You are right in a sense. That's not really right, as I see you have your opinion too.

He's not doing it repetitvely. It's not outright bashing. It's his opinion.

Wrong. I've said it somewhere in this comment, but I'll say it again: HFTW is not pure pop. It's pretty close to it, mind you. But there are elements in it that do set it apart just a little bit, and make it more experimental than your typical mainstream pop song. And generally, yes, the lyrics are weaker than most of Coldplay's lyrical output, but that's bound to happen since it was made to be a mainstream/club song. Not like I'd really want that though. I can listen to HFTW and enjoy it. Just me, though. It probably has to do with the fact that before I really really got into Coldplay, I listened to the radio a lot. And that's why you see me kind of enjoying the mainstream stuff much more than the other people in here. That's because when I was younger, I listened to the mainstream radio a lot lot more. And some of the appreciation for artists like Rihanna and such is still there. Since I grew up listening to it, I still have a thing for it I guess. IMO, even if it's mainstream, if it's a good song in my eyes I'll like it. And it doesn't have to be rock, yes it can be pop. It just has to be mainsream pop done well. And if it's done well, I don't care how popular it get's, I'll like it. And some of that is still with me today. And that's why I kind of still have a taste towards these more mainstream artists as well as the less known ones. Of course something really hidden and unknown and experimental I'll like, but I'd always listen to a mainstream pop song that I love any day over a hidden, less known song that I don't like as much (but still will appreciate given the artistry). Just had to explain that to any of you in case you were wondering why I kind of still like some of Rihanna's music and the like, etc...

However, there isn't one mainstream song I like from 2016 yet. Ever since AOAL was released, there's not one song actually released after that that was good. (Not sure if that other song from the Adele was released after that, in that case that's an exception).

Completely true. Generally I find that rock is much superior to pop, however the example you gave is perfect and I'm the same way.

Awesome list :thumbsup:

To an extent, yes, especially Coldplay's earliest work. But Parachutes IMO has it's own feeling that I've never heard from anywhere else. There are obvious Radiohead influences, yes, but every band when they start out has "influences" so you can't really say anything about anybody. And then skip forward to Viva la Vida. Some of the tracks in there are completely innovative and have a completely new sound to them that no one had before.

The only artist I can think of that has completely original content that no one else sounds like is Topaz.

(You're talking about X&Y)

Yeah. I've listened to U2, and sorry, but I can't find any blatant copycat things that Coldplay did in that album to rip off of U2. They sound different to me. (There are infleunces. But again, every band has influences).

Agreed with everything you said. I don't care if bands emulate others. It's their debut album, of course, what do you expect?

First statement: maybe so, but they still have their own signature sound.

Also, I still honestly think that ID won't get as popular as Coldplay. Yes, with their debut album, it debuted at 2, and their current album debuted #1 but Coldplay debuted #1 in both their first and second albums, and kept the streak going for another four albums! And then just recently, AHFOD finally reached #1. So ya.

As for TOP, Stressed Out is definetely mainstream and popular. However, it is not straight pop. It has infleunces of rap, rock, and pop all in one, and those types of songs are pretty rare. Meanwhile they put their own twist on it. Definetely a fan of what they're doing there. They were able to make something quite artistic WHILE making it catchy and super popular. Which is definetely a feat. I'd love for Coldplay to get out of their pop phase, make fantastic music while making it get really popular, just like their older days :wacky:

Hey! That's not generic!

Wow. I honestly don't think off the top of my head that I've listened to anything similar.

What??? That's not ID??? I was COMPLETELY convinced that was ID. No way!

I've been finding this. On Alt Nation it doesn't really sound like rock anymore, I mean some songs do, but now it's just alternative pop more so. Which is still better than mainstream pop :)

I just want to say that in general, I have a similar musical taste to what you describe. I also agree with the point made earlier that pure rock is pretty much not being produced nowadays. I have to say that, given that Coldplay wanted to make a "happy album," I don't think that the pure rock genre would fit it very well. I suspect that most artists would not be able to make a happy album without going all-out pop, yet Coldplay manages to keep AHFOD pretty creative/artistic, I would say.

Also, I can't help but notice that you have really good grammar and punctuation in your long post. :)

• Like 2