✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

I'm not English so I don't understand what you mean. Oasis,Adele,Robbie Williams are English but they don't act like Coldplay when it's about humbleness. A lot of people notice that and they are known as "so humble and polite boys".

I'm referring to "English anxiety" or however you want to call it. There's a particular self deprecating humbleness / cynicism / awkwardness that I think many English people have. Which is why I believe it's important to consider Coldplay from this lens rather than against their friends from across the pond who exude a lot of arrogance.

I don't know Adele or Robbie Williams' personalities well enough to comment, but I'll concede that Oasis is perhaps an exception. Liam in particular is quite the loudmouth. :) But I think that's a consequence of the types of people that rock and roll can attract, rather than a testament to how Brits are in general. Also they're from the North. :p

• Like 1

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ooooh, I missed a fight here !

Am I the only person who doesn't give a damn about Fall Out Boy and One Republic ? Of course Coldplay's legacy will be a lot bigger than theirs; as much as theb boys dilute it with material like HFTW and AOAL they will always be remembered for albums like AROBTTH and songs like Viva La Vida or Clocks.

it's too early for AHFOD but the Boys definitely will be remembered for Paradise also

• Like 1

Again not bashing them, just saying simple truths.

Coldplay Superbowl 50 (Brought to you by Pepsi) AOAL music video (Brought to you by the Beats Pill) Coldplay-Princess of China ft *RIHANNA*

I'm a Catholic but I don't believe every word the pope says nor do I believe every word of the Bible... why? because I am a human being with the God given gift of critical thinking. Don't trust everything they say. Actively question it.

Have some sort of nuance in your opinion please, not just blind praise/loyalty.

When did a simple opinion become the truth? You are the arbiter of the "TRUTH" now. cool. all hail the adversary.. we are at your mercy.. bless us..

Well, Coldplay DID become more commercial through the years. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. And there is plenty of evidence supporting that fact.

When you say it's bad that Coldplay has become more commercial over the years, that's an opinion.

Glad to be of help. :)

• Like 1

Well I've just noticed something, I've just compared MX to AHFOD.

What a difference. Let's display this in pros and cons:)

MX's Pros

• Is it me or do I love the title of this thing?
  • Works well as a concept album.
  • Will's drums sound real and it's only really in Up In Flames where they use electronic drums, but even though I don't like that song, I'm a fan of the drums in it.
  • Two words. Charlie. Brown.
  • The tour and the way this was presented, beautiful.
  • Some interludes were important.
  • The albums flow is very good.
  • Paradise was an outstanding choice as a second single.
  • The band felt more rock, with listenable and good production.

AHFOD's Pros

• The title track with the U2 influence is perfection. If only the album was in this style...
  • Birds has a neat sound, very indie. The video is great as well, if only more of the videos were in this style...
  • The interludes feel more important on this album than on MX, there's less of them too.
  • The interludes were AMBIENT:D
  • The style of this album is quite a masterpiece of art.
  • Up&Up has Noel Gallagher.

MX's Cons

• Up In Flames is just boring.
  • Too many interludes!

AHFOD's Cons

• Hymn For The Weekend. Beyonce makes this track even more cringe, and let's face it some people don't exactly rate it live. The lyrics, the production, well you get the point.
  • Everglow. I found this song listenable and great to listen to at first. Now it's one of the ones I keep skipping because there isn't much to keep me interested. The lyrics are slightly better after HFTW, but it's a tad boring.
  • Army Of One. An attempt to make an Imagine Dragons style song. Lyrics are actually really good, the drums good, but the overproduction is just overwhelming, it's too much.
  • X Marks The Spot. NO.
  • Colour Spectrum. It's too short!
  • Stargate.
  • Having Beyonce as a featured artist, then stealing the Super Bowl off them (but not for me anyways)
  • Fun isn't a single yet???????
  • The fact that this album could change their direction.
  • Not enough real drums from Will.
  • OVERPRODUCTION.
  • This may not be a classic.

MX wins by a landslide.

• Like 3

Hey guys I apologize I dont know why I said what I did today but I should not have fueled this argument. I think I can learn to appreciate both the new material of Coldplay and rock. Both are unique and I can enjoy the two. I apologize to anyone I argued with, the staff of Coldplaying, and Coldplayers in general. I really need some Coldplay music right now. Anyone have any suggestions? Any era.

Mylo X,very calming and lifting at the same time.

• Like 1

At the end is just music and I love A Head Full Of Dreams as much as I enjoy the rest of the albums. There are great lyrics, incredible guitar, bass and piano riffs, and the drums give a powerful sound to the album.

And I think a lot of people is living this forum because we haven't got an agreement during this era. Both, fans who love or hate this album don't feel the need to keep saying how much they love or hate it. Plus it's a very quiet moment in Coldplay's life as they're getting ready to start the tour. Anyways, we're fans of this band for a reason and we decided to be part of this forum, so let's enjoy it!

• Like 7

For me the anticipation of MX made it more enjoyable and memorable; I appreciated each new song when it was released. The sixth months of waiting between the first single and the album release was perfect for me.

Mylo Xyloto is indeed a very cool title:) I wonder how they came up with it. It's not easy to just make a new word lol.

Actually i think i remember an interview on this. Xylotos are featured on the first track they recorded which ended up being the title track. They needed a main character for the story so what name rhymes with Xyloto? Mylo.

• Like 1

Actually i think i remember an interview on this. Xylotos are featured on the first track they recorded which ended up being the title track. They needed a main character for the story so what name rhymes with Xyloto? Mylo.

I think you're talking about Xylophones, but I may be mistaken. Anyway, that's interesting:)

• Like 1

Yeah I meant to say that I dont know why i said xylotos lol

Well I remember Chris saying in a Today Show interview the he was thinking of "musical digits, so if people had xylophone toes they would be called 'xylotos'"....a statement that Chris later rejected

• Like 1

I don't mean to be a jerk here to fans of One Republic, Imagine Dragons, or FOB, but Coldplay is, and always will be, on a completely different level than those bands. Sure, they have decent albums, especially FOB's earlier work--but today they are nothing but contemporary pop that try to latch on to whatever is popular. I don't want to say that they aren't talented or relevant, but I literally can't make it through their albums without stopping. Imagine Dragons, for example, literally recycles U2, Coldplay, Mumford and Sons, Dubstep, and whatever else they can and tries making it as catchy as possible. Maybe you can argue that they don't conform to genres, but I can hardly even call them pop-rock at this point, same with FOB's latest release. They just want to emulate the success Coldplay has had.

Coldplay though is legendary. And they will go down as one of the best bands in history. Will they be remembered as rock? Maybe not. But people don't remember The Beatles as rock either. If you are doubting their staying power compared to the above mentioned bands, just look at the record sales, the number of #1 albums, the sold out stadium tours. Coldplay is one of the last bands that can sell out a stadium. Sure Beyonce and Bieber can do it, hell even Nickleback. But Coldplay is a band that is both critically acclaimed, creative, world-renowned, and universal. These are aspects we can only attribute to legendary bands of the past who wrote countless hits while sticking to their own unique styles: The Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, U2, Queen, RHCP.

AHFOD isn't aging well, and the band is getting older. But that is okay. By my count, they have 5 amazing rock records under their belt, numerous exceptional, sometimes experimental B-sides, and two solid contemporary pop-rock albums. That is impressive. History will be kind to Coldplay. If you don't think so, check out this amazing 2008 special from 60 Minutes that sums them up at their peak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFvyTDX3OoM

• Like 8

I don't mean to be a jerk here to fans of One Republic, Imagine Dragons, or FOB, but Coldplay is, and always will be, on a completely different level than those bands. Sure, they have decent albums, especially FOB's earlier work--but today they are nothing but contemporary pop that try to latch on to whatever is popular. I don't want to say that they aren't talented or relevant, but I literally can't make it through their albums without stopping. Imagine Dragons, for example, literally recycles U2, Coldplay, Mumford and Sons, Dubstep, and whatever else they can and tries making it as catchy as possible. Maybe you can argue that they don't conform to genres, but I can hardly even call them pop-rock at this point, same with FOB's latest release. They just want to emulate the success Coldplay has had.

Coldplay though is legendary. And they will go down as one of the best bands in history. Will they be remembered as rock? Maybe not. But people don't remember The Beatles as rock either. If you are doubting their staying power compared to the above mentioned bands, just look at the record sales, the number of #1 albums, the sold out stadium tours. Coldplay is one of the last bands that can sell out a stadium. Sure Beyonce and Bieber can do it, hell even Nickleback. But Coldplay is a band that is both critically acclaimed, creative, world-renowned, and universal. These are aspects we can only attribute to legendary bands of the past who wrote countless hits while sticking to their own unique styles: The Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, U2, Queen, RHCP.

AHFOD isn't aging well, and the band is getting older. But that is okay. By my count, they have 5 amazing rock records under their belt, numerous exceptional, sometimes experimental B-sides, and two solid contemporary pop-rock albums. That is impressive. History will be kind to Coldplay. If you don't think so, check out this amazing 2008 special from 60 Minutes that sums them up at their peak:

Agree with all this!

And Radiohead are legends as well:D

• Like 2

Imagine Dragons are just starting out lol. Of course they aren't as legendary as Coldplay (yet). We could say the same thing for Parachutes. They just recycled Radiohead, Muse, and other bands. And if you say that ID is just contemporary pop latching onto whatever is popular, then you are far from right my friend. ID's latest album isn't what you would call "radio friendly". Please do your damn research before typing.

• Like 2

Imagine Dragons are just starting out lol. Of course they aren't as legendary as Coldplay (yet). We could say the same thing for Parachutes. They just recycled Radiohead, Muse, and other bands. And if you say that ID is just contemporary pop latching onto whatever is popular, then you are far from right my friend. ID's latest album isn't what you would call "radio friendly". Please do your damn research before typing.

Ooooh hes got a point.

(This is all just my opinion, but most critics agree with me about ID) It is true that you can say the same for any band, all bands take influences and emulate them somehow. My main problem with ID especially is that they don't have a distinct sound like Coldplay. Sure, Coldplay sometimes blatantly comes off as Radiohead or U2 wannabes, but they add their own twist or flavor. Every track on Smoke and Mirrors does have fantastic moments and those guys know how to make an epic song with a lot of passion--but good God I can't help but here them emulate somebody on every song.

I am not saying I hate ID. They are a really talented band. I really like half the songs on Smoke+Mirrors with their 80's throwback feel--Shots, Trouble, Dream, It Comes Back To You, I Bet My Life, Summer. So I do think they are a good band. But you can't shake the feeling that as a band they have little originality:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/review/6473071/album-review-imagine-dragons-smoke-mirrors

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/imagine-dragons-smoke-mirrors-20150217

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/02/album-review-imagine-dragons-smoke-mirrors/

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/feb/15/imagine-dragons-smoke-mirrors-observer-review

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/imagine-dragons-win-ugly-bloated-rock-article-1.2117277

Just wanted to say, I have listened to the album several times and read quite a few reviews! I did do my research, but of course, I just disagree. No big deal mate :hug:And yes, I did cherry pick negative reviews. There were plenty of positive ones too, I just tend to agree with the average to negative!

• Like 2

(This is all just my opinion, but most critics agree with me about ID) It is true that you can say the same for any band, all bands take influences and emulate them somehow. My main problem with ID especially is that they don't have a distinct sound like Coldplay. Sure, Coldplay sometimes blatantly comes off as Radiohead or U2 wannabes, but they add their own twist or flavor. Every track on Smoke and Mirrors does have fantastic moments and those guys know how to make an epic song with a lot of passion--but good God I can't help but here them emulate somebody on every song.

I am not saying I hate ID. They are a really talented band. I really like half the songs on Smoke+Mirrors with their 80's throwback feel--Shots, Trouble, Dream, It Comes Back To You, I Bet My Life, Summer. So I do think they are a good band. But you can't shake the feeling that as a band they have little originality:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/review/6473071/album-review-imagine-dragons-smoke-mirrors

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/imagine-dragons-smoke-mirrors-20150217

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/02/album-review-imagine-dragons-smoke-mirrors/

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/feb/15/imagine-dragons-smoke-mirrors-observer-review

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/imagine-dragons-win-ugly-bloated-rock-article-1.2117277

Just wanted to say, I have listened to the album several times and read quite a few reviews! I did do my research, but of course, I just disagree. No big deal mate :hug:And yes, I did cherry pick negative reviews. There were plenty of positive ones too, I just tend to agree with the average to negative!

"ID is contemporary pop just latching onto whatever is popular"

^This statement right here is not true. Right now, it sounds like you just did your research. Because you are mentioning songs like Dream and It Comes Back to You yet you are dissing them for being contemporary pop who only latch on to whatever is trending. Also, you can't diss a band for lacking originality in comparability to Coldplay (who've existed for 20 years now) when they are only 2 albums in. Of course they cant beat Coldplay. But, if you look at Parachutes and X&Y (AROBTTH is an exception), the former sounds like all sorts of band ripoffs (Radiohead, Muse, etc, just watch that interview from 2008 where Chris explains which band each track from Parachutes rips off) and the latter is basically U2. They even ripped off themselves with Speed Of Sound. Yes, I do agree that they just smashed in a whole bunch of genres in S&M to please as many crowds as possible. That was a flaw that was put into this album. But, these guys are amateurs. Give them time like what Coldplay has been given to develop.

• Like 1

Am I the only one who doesn't care if bands slightly emulate other musicians on their debut album ? I think Coldplay still quickly built their own signature sound based on these influences. Also, there is always a thing such as incorporating and improving others's style. There have been accusations about melodies in Viva La Vida, and while I still (of course !) hope they did not plagiarise it and it's all just a coincidence, I have to say that VLV is definitely better synthesis of melodies and a much better "end product" than the Satriani/Stevens songs containing those melodies. (Still I hope they did not plagiarize it...that would be unethical.Being inspired is one thing, directly copying another).

(I'm saying this in defence of Parachutes, not ID whose work frankly I never liked...)

• Like 1

"ID is contemporary pop just latching onto whatever is popular"

^This statement right here is not true. Right now, it sounds like you just did your research. Because you are mentioning songs like Dream and It Comes Back to You yet you are dissing them for being contemporary pop who only latch on to whatever is trending. Also, you can't diss a band for lacking originality in comparability to Coldplay (who've existed for 20 years now) when they are only 2 albums in. Of course they cant beat Coldplay. But, if you look at Parachutes and X&Y (AROBTTH is an exception), the former sounds like all sorts of band ripoffs (Radiohead, Muse, etc, just watch that interview from 2008 where Chris explains which band each track from Parachutes rips off) and the latter is basically U2. They even ripped off themselves with Speed Of Sound. Yes, I do agree that they just smashed in a whole bunch of genres in S&M to please as many crowds as possible. That was a flaw that was put into this album. But, these guys are amateurs. Give them time like what Coldplay has been given to develop.

i get that Parachutes is sorts of band Ripoffs .. and yeah they even ripped off themselves with Speed of Sound / Clocks .. Green day do that all the time btw lol .. nothing wrong with that .. hell most of the fans here dream of AROBTTH II

anyway I'm really into Imagine Dragon and i kinda love the second album too .. but honest to god there is different between what Coldplay did in Parachutes for example and what ID take influences and emulate pretty much every artist i know in Smoke + Mirrors :D

Trouble = Mumford And Sons

Im Sorry = Black Keys

I Bet My Life = Sort of Arcade Fire

Hopeless Opus = Some of Lorde's beats

It Come Back to You = Coldplay

i swear it's like if Coldplay U2 Black Keys Mumford and Sons Arcade Fire etc etc had a baby .. that baby will be Called Imagine Dragons :D

• Like 1