Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

I somewhat agree, but I think AHFOD could have really used one more fast song in the middle or end. Everything from Everglow to the end are relatively slow songs. Sure, AOAL, Army of One, and Up&Up are upbeat...but none are very fast. I think VLV and MX did a much better job on that front because VLV has Cemeteries of London to open, Lovers in Japan, and Viva la Vida as spaced out energetic songs. MX has HLH/Charlie Brown near the front, ETIAW in the middle, and DLIBYH in the back. AHFOD by comparison drags a little. Still love the album though but have realized I have this issue with it.

Exactly my thoughts!! This album needs an up-tempo song just after Army of One, or even better, after Amazing Day. With that, and cutting XMTS, it would be so much better! It's still a great album :)

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've give the album another listen:

AHFOD- one of the best they've ever done. Rocking and disco fit very nicely together with ambience.

Birds- bouncy, indie sounding, it's another MX attempt and its damn good.

Hymn For The Weekend- poppy and upbeat, I could dance to it, quite catchy, but amongst that it's a bit meh. Overproduction used way too much.

Everglow- chill out, typical piano ballad, but boring and doesn't really have a permanent message

Adventure Of A Lifetime- another disco rock track. Not as good as the opener, but still awesome and one of the best singles they've ever released in the Newplay era

Fun- meh, this is very meh, lyrics ok I guess but got too many sappy cliches

Kaleidoscope- amazing and beautiful, best interlude they've ever done, message clear and effective when live

Army Of One- organs good, drums good, rest is CRAP and BULLSHIT, skip

X Marks The Spot- even worse, skip

Amazing Day- beautiful, seems meh when you look at the title, but it really is quite a masterpiece

Colour Spectrum- ambient and colourful, but someone make it longer, still sounds amazing though

Up&Up- make the guitar solos more hearable! Other than that, great way to finish, but please if this was more original and raw, it would stand out a lot better.

Current Coldplay album rating: 6/10

• Like 1

I do have to say this is probably the 2nd most diverse sounding CP album behind VLVODAAHF. I mean we have pop rock, disco, club, hip hop, piano ballad, and spoken word.

Sent from my VIVO AIR using Coldplaying mobile app

I wish that particular hip-hip track wasn't in the album but yeah, you don't get tired of it easily because of the diversity:D

I do have to say this is probably the 2nd most diverse sounding CP album behind VLVODAAHF. I mean we have pop rock, disco, club, hip hop, piano ballad, and spoken word.

The diversity is what's making me love it. It doesn't make for such a strong theme or soundscape as e.g. Viva does, but in this case it's not a disappointment for me as I can still feel an overarching journey somehow.

And yes, I really, really, really, really, really, really like you...X Marks The Spot. (And I want you to want me, too.) ;) :D

I don't know how it's gonna turn out more long-term, but currently AHFOD is still my no. 3 of all Coldplay albums, because it makes me feel alive in a way that I very much needed.

• Like 4

Let's make another thread and name it LP8 and wait for LP8 for four years from now...wow that's a long time...and try to expect how it will sound like

I think this was made so prematurely because the name was anounced in an interview though. So we had atleast something (admittedly very little) to speculate about:)

It's been out for four months now and I still can't get over Birds. Seriously, each listen is like the first time. I've never had a Coldplay song rise so quickly to my list of all-time favorite Coldplay songs!

Same here!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

It's been out for four months now and I still can't get over Birds. Seriously, each listen is like the first time. I've never had a Coldplay song rise so quickly to my list of all-time favorite Coldplay songs!

That's exact the same thing I have with A Head Full Of Dreams (tr.). It's very upbeat. And it's just, like getithom said, each listen is like the first time !:)

And also, so many people posted in A Head Full Of Dreams videos of live performances that it sounds like a song from The Joshua Tree from U2 and I agree with them.

Same here! The first time listening to the album, I literally got hooked by Birds and Army of One. They both are very addictive!

• Like 1

Same here! The first time listening to the album, I literally got hooked by Birds and Army of One. They both are very addictive!

They stopped playing it now, but I wish when they had played Army Of One, it was more like the studio version. I feel Will's drums carry and fill the song. The drum pad he was using was cool, but I felt it really toned down the song. I wanted it to really explode like DLIBYH. Either way, great song!

• Like 3

They stopped playing it now, but I wish when they had played Army Of One, it was more like the studio version. I feel Will's drums carry and fill the song. The drum pad he was using was cool, but I felt it really toned down the song. I wanted it to really explode like DLIBYH. Either way, great song!

I still wish the band would ever play Birds more. I was watching this live recording from Buenos Aires and this guy didnt record Birds part. I only saw just a few seconds from the beginning but it got cut afterwards - do you have the full video of it? I wonder what it would sound like in full if it meant to be played live!

I still wish the band would ever play Birds more. I was watching this live recording from Buenos Aires and this guy didnt record Birds part. I only saw just a few seconds from the beginning but it got cut afterwards - do you have the full video of it? I wonder what it would sound like in full if it meant to be played live!

They still play that one, and it sounds great live! Heres a video of one performance in Chile:

But if you go to YouTube and type in "Coldplay birds live" more will pop up.

• Like 1

They've been playing Birds since the first AHFOD show. I'd recommend @coldplaykb's video, or the audio from Saturday's Mexico show. Both are excellent.

• Like 1

They still play that one, and it sounds great live! Heres a video of one performance in Chile:

They've been playing Birds since the first AHFOD show. I'd recommend @coldplaykb's video, or the audio from Saturday's Mexico show. Both are excellent.

Cool. Thanks guys! :)

They need to play Birds more during European Tour next month though :D

Oh my gosh guys, I keep watching the video and damn, I CANT BREATHE LEL

• Like 1

I've discovered so many artists (Beck, Interpol, RHCP, Pearl Jam, Moby, Nine Inch Nails, Primal Scream) within the last couple of months that I've completely forgotten about most of AHFOD apart from four tracks and the tour

AHFOD, Birds, AOAL and Amazing Day remain the only great tunes on here IMHO.

I say this with no offense, but the reason you're 'forgetting' about AHFOD is because you're listening to new, completely-unrelated-to-Coldplay music. It's like if I suddenly got into country music; how could I compare the two? I agree with all your favorite tracks, though, (with Up&Up included) but most of those artists could not be any different from Coldplay then or now.

• Like 2

I say this with no offense, but the reason you're 'forgetting' about AHFOD is because you're listening to new, completely-unrelated-to-Coldplay music. It's like if I suddenly got into country music; how could I compare the two? I agree with all your favorite tracks, though, (with Up&Up included) but most of those artists could not be any different from Coldplay then or now.

I agree. I'll give AHFOD a couple more go's:D

I can't really say any of the songs on AHFOD are bad, but none of them really evoke any emotion out of me like their past albums. Amazing Day is really the only song off this album that'll stick with me for the long haul.

I can see the significance in this album in the fact that it signifies Chris finally feeling free and happy. I'm happy to see that Chris is happy, but I know that they can still do better.

In my mind, VLVODAAHF and MX are their most creative and consistent albums to date, and I'm just hoping that they would set out to make really good music again. Cuz AHFOD just feels like a compilation of songs and they really don't add up to be greater than the sum of its parts.

If they could team up with Eno, Dravs, and Hopkins again I would be so happy. Because those guys know how to craft songs and build on sounds and overall just make solid music. Coldplays current process for making music just seems so rudimentary... and the product as of late has just been so... bland. The "Colour Spectrum" track is so boring. Everglow is nice enough and Chris really carries it with his vocals, but it's just a plain old ballad with sappy lyrics. My god, the lyrics of the past two albums-- just AWFUL.

I'm ranting here.

I'm just a little disappointed at this point cuz I know they're capable of doing so much better. Whenever I put on VLVODAAHF I'm just like damn why can't they do this again.

anyways I don't know. does anyone else feel my frustration

• Like 6

^ I am completely with you on this and will join the rant. I will always argue that this album is chock-full of great ideas that are half-completed. I think it is the first Coldplay album that fails on demonstrating a clear concept and consistent sound. In terms of overall songwriting as well, it is significantly weaker than most Coldplay albums. Lyrically, it does often improve on GS, but just.

Overall, GS is a better album in my opinion because its sound and mission is consistent. Sure the lyrics suck, but the album flows from one great track to another all the way up to the mediocre ASFOS. AHFOD just starts on a low note and has bright spots throughout.

So a lot is missing... the pop production really removes what made MX and VLV special, and the instrumention/song writing is not bold enough to remake the alternative rock of X&Y or AROBTTH. I guess I will always appreciate AHFOD for its discernible messages and few fantastic tracks--but it is definitely the worst Coldplay album, in my opinion and I think in the opinions of most critics.

I think their future work should pull a U2 and go back to their roots. Maybe that would suck, but when you have a hip-hop track that rips off Kendrick Lamar on your new album--your usage of musical freedom has gone too far. Albums need to have clear paths, messages, vibes.

I think their future work should pull a U2 and go back to their roots. Albums need to have clear paths, messages, vibes.

now that u mentioned it, would be nice to get a How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb-esque from Coldplay