✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

No. The band cannot copy someone else. They won't do it. They've found their sound and they're going to keep it. LP8 won't sound the same as AHFOD but don't expect anything. I don't think any of us expected a club song or disco tune on AHFOD

Sent from my VS986 using Coldplaying mobile app

I think all of us who follow Coldplay, even if it's been for less than a year, can't predict what they'll do next. They always try to keep mistery.

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest diogo_sg
I think all of us who follow Coldplay, even if it's been for less than a year, can't predict what they'll do next. They always try to keep mistery.

Exactly. They're constantly changing their sound. It's almost impossible to guess what they're going to come up with next. But that's part of the fun! [emoji6]

So I personally think that AHFOD is one of the most listenable albums as a whole out of any of the 7 LP's - Both GS and AHFOD are real albums with a story whereas I personally feel Parachutes and X&Y are just songs on a record (which is no bad thing).

AHFOD: To me this is one of the great Coldplay live songs - whilst it may not be the most imaginative and creative of songs it is so far my favourite to watch and listen to live from all the vids - pure live banger

Birds: Not sounding amazing live but one of my favs on the record with so much energy and some of my favourite CM vocals at the beginning

HYMN: Massive grower for me - I hated it when record came out but the drink from me refrain has so much swagger! Imagine that swagger in a coldplay song

Everglow: Was one of my initial favourites but slightly less so now - not a Coldplay classic but a strong song - I don't think it would get played on a tour in a few years time

AOAL: Such a grower and looks beautiful live wise with the xylobands - for me it needed a better bridge to be a complete Coldplay banger but seems to be going down better live than I had anticipated

Fun: Clearly in contrast to a lot on here I think this is one of the best tracks on the record - please play it at wembley and glasto!

Kaleidoscope: Cool, emotional and right

Army of one: A strong song but a little generic - and that filth at the end that I won't even name is the worst song Coldplay ever put out

Amazing Day: Tbh not really my thing its a bit slow paced and not got a great first 3/4 but the bridge kicks a punch - its nice but not a fav

Up & Up: This song is great and hopefully with enough radio play a great song for the guys to enjoy live with more people singing back - however, the live version trumps the recorded version because of the atrocious atrocious production. The cutting of the piano and the weak sounding first two choruses ughh it needed more grit because the song-writing is i'd almost say the best thing the guys have done (apart form fix you ;) and theres my two cents

peace

see you on the 16th June and the 26th June

• Like 1

Ok after nearly 5 months.. I think I'm ready to give a full review. I am not a "newplayer". But I wouldn't call myself an "oldplayer" either. I am not a music professional nor do I understand all the elements that go into music composition or production. I do however have a great music appreciation. I listen to music with my heart and Coldplay have always spoke to my heart. I wholeheartedly understand when people criticize this album for being, among other things, overly/poorly produced, lyrically weak, too mainstream/generic pop. I do not understand when they say it's soulless or heartless. I guess that can be attributed to the fact we all have different hearts. Mine loves this album. Here's why:

AHFOD: A truly great explosive start to the album. What a way to set the tone for a true pop album while still keeping what makes Coldplay, Coldplay. Guys bass line to kick things off just gets your heart thumping. The way the drums build to Johnny's guitar riff. Chris's understated vocals are joyous and hopeful. There are some great lyrics here too, "leave your broken windows open, and in the light just streams". I agree that the "ooohhhs" are wearing slightly thin, but here they actually work, very euphoric. All in all a great opener. 4.5/5

Birds: Love the electronica pop feel of this one. Was my favorite the first time I heard it. Best lyrics on the album, yeah even the you're so cool bit. Guys bass is so foot stompingly delicious you have to dance. Johnny's guitar adds a dreamy weightless feel to this one. Will keeps a great beat throughout. Chris's vocals are vulnerable yet uplifting. And the strings that lead to the abrupt ending just kill me every time. I really do feel free and like I'm flying with this song, still my favorite on the album. 5/5

HFTW: Fun song, but can old quick. Cheesy unusual lyrics for Coldplay. Nothing really memorable for me who the exception of the bridge, Johnny's guitar rift there and the shoot across the sky part are my favorites. Despite my complaints with this song, I rarely skip, unlike POC where I almost always skip. I guess it just fits the overall album very well I can't get myself to skip it. Decent song. 2.5/5

I'll have the rest of my review up later, if anybody cares lol.

• Like 4

Guest LiquidSky

So months later after the release, I think the Army of One is one of the strongest along with Birds and of course AOAL

Right now, Amazing Day is my favorite AHFOD song. May come as a surprise to many of you, but it has grown a lot on me.

It's surprising but the message it has fits in every situation. So, I guess you're in a joyful stage :)

• Like 1

No. The band cannot copy someone else. They won't do it.

This is a very naive comment. Coldplay have made a career from wearing their influences on their sleeve.

Coldplay are genius in what they do and Chris Martin is the best melodist of his generation, but breaking newground and being innovative is not really a tag you can put on them.

Your guess is correct :D

Great to know it! And perhaps you'll like some of the lyrics on AOAL. I love this song because it's a good catchy song and the lyrics makes me enjoy my life even more :) my favorite line is "under this pressure, under this weight, we're diamonds taking shape" because there are some things that happen in our lives that makes us who we are and help us to be stronger to face any situation. Well, that's one of the reasons why I like AHFOD.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest diogo_sg

Does anyone know what's written next to Phil and above the toucan in this picture? (this photo's quality isn't thw best, btw)

wemfinal-1-1.jpg

Does anyone know what's written next to Phil and above the toucan in this picture? (this photo's quality isn't thw best, btw)

wemfinal-1-1.jpg

I would guess that these are lyrics from songs because they aren't short enough to be song titles. I'm almost sure it has to be this white-background-black-letters short of writing like on the AOAL single artwork.

Guest diogo_sg
I would guess that these are lyrics from songs because they aren't short enough to be song titles. I'm almost sure it has to be this white-background-black-letters short of writing like on the AOAL single artwork.

Thanks [emoji6]

wemfinal-1-1.jpg

I've planned a visit to the exhibition when I'm in London.

If the artwork is there I will have a look.

• Like 1

Guest diogo_sg
I've planned a visit to the exhibition when I'm in London.

If the artwork is there I will have a look.

Thank you! I'd really appreciate that [emoji1]

^Chris said in that interview with Zane Lowe (??) that they had a track called Voodoo they recorded and all really liked but "couldn't get away with releasing it." -- I am paraphrasing here--Plus they had all sorts of alternative versions of AOAL and AHFOD that were less produced... maybe one day we will get demos.

Such a bummer. I think this era more than any could have had the most interesting B-sides. Usually B-sides leave room to fully flush out sounds and inspirations and have a stab at something more coherent. They went full Space-Symphony with MtM and full alt-rock with Ghost Story. I wonder if Voodoo was full out funky/jazzy??

• Like 5

^Chris said in that interview with Zane Lowe (??) that they had a track called Voodoo they recorded and all really liked but "couldn't get away with releasing it." -- I am paraphrasing here--Plus they had all sorts of alternative versions of AOAL and AHFOD that were less produced... maybe one day we will get demos.

Such a bummer. I think this era more than any could have had the most interesting B-sides. Usually B-sides leave room to fully flush out sounds and inspirations and have a stab at something more coherent. They went full Space-Symphony with MtM and full alt-rock with Ghost Story. I wonder if Voodoo was full out funky/jazzy??

God that sounds interesting, and we'll probably never hear it :/

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I also remember that in one interview (I think it was shortly after or before the release of AHFOD) he said that there were I few tracks that didn't get onto the album because they sounded too much like old coldplay and other ones that were too far away from their musical style...

I honestly just want to hear them all, even if they're not that good! Judging by their other unreleased tracks and b-sides there must be a few really good ones!

• Like 5

I also remember that in one interview (I think it was shortly after or before the release of AHFOD) he said that there were I few tracks that didn't get onto the album because they sounded too much like old coldplay and other ones that were too far away from their musical style...

I honestly just want to hear them all, even if they're not that good! Judging by their other unreleased tracks and b-sides there must be a few really good ones!

They can't hold those songs back for good !

• Like 1