✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Im sorry, but if you listen to the verse and chorus' on Fun, it's so dang similar to one of those Taylor Swift songs. I cant name it off the top of my head, but I've heard something like that before. Quite cheesy for Coldplay to do imo. However, I do praise the instrumental. The ambient electric guitar work is awesome.

I can't really think of any Taylor Swift songs off the top of my head that sound like Fun...

Also, I said that it wasn't generic. Not that it didn't sound any similar to a Taylor Swift song. I'm sorry, but I just can't see this being a "generic teenager" song. I know it's hard to compare it to when you haven't heard much of those songs. Yes, it does seem like a teenager-ish song, but I'd say it's nowhere near what "teenager music" is today. (And I agree with @I ran away, Fun is a very good song off this album! :))

• Like 1

EDIT: Thanks to you guys, I have Last Friday Night stuck in my head...

Honestly, if this song were to be released in 2016 and did get popular, it would easily be my favorite "mainsream" song of 2016 thus far...

I just want to say that in general, I have a similar musical taste to what you describe. I also agree with the point made earlier that pure rock is pretty much not being produced nowadays. I have to say that, given that Coldplay wanted to make a "happy album," I don't think that the pure rock genre would fit it very well. I suspect that most artists would not be able to make a happy album without going all-out pop, yet Coldplay manages to keep AHFOD pretty creative/artistic, I would say.

Also, I can't help but notice that you have really good grammar and punctuation in your long post. :)

Haha thanks :)

I can't really think of any Taylor Swift songs off the top of my head that sound like Fun...

Also, I said that it wasn't generic. Not that it didn't sound any similar to a Taylor Swift song. I'm sorry, but I just can't see this being a "generic teenager" song. I know it's hard to compare it to when you haven't heard much of those songs. Yes, it does seem like a teenager-ish song, but I'd say it's nowhere near what "teenager music" is today. (And I agree with @I ran away, Fun is a very good song off this album! :))

Think about it. The melody of the verses and chorus, especially that acoustic guitar bit with chris singing. Like I said, the instrumental is great. That part definitely does not make it generic. But, it's the melody.

Not to start an argument but before I go I'm gonna defend my band. Yes they have only sold that many records because from 2001-2009 they were a garage punk band that only was famous with the punk culture which is why they didn't sell so much. After Fall Out Boy took a hiatus and returned in 2013, album sales with albums Save Rock And Roll and American Beauty/American Psycho have skyrocketed with both debuting at number 1. They are only 2 albums and 3 years into their arena rock career. How long did it take Coldplay to reach 80 million, or for them to get a Grammy? Fall Out Boy appeals to a larger audience now and even if they never win a single Grammy, they're still preserving something that Coldplay just decided to scrap because they wanted to blend in with the forgettable radio culture.

Talk to me in the Oldplaying forums.

Honestly, I hate rubbishing anyones opinions but the whole Fall Out Boy post is the biggest load of rubbish I've ever read. They will not be remembered over Coldplay, they are by no means any bigger. Coldplay, whether we like them anymore or not, strive to have a different sound on each album, there's a difference between that and just selling out for radio. It's very arguable that Fall Out Boy have regressed to making music for radio now. When people use 'irrelevant' because they don't have a real argument is really silly. If Coldplay didn't have a big fanbase it would make a little sense but to pit them up against Fall Out Boy? Ridiculous.

I feel like I'm starting to sound really negative but it seems that some people here will compare Coldplay to anyone just to bash them. Whilst AOAL has a similar bass to Get Lucky, it does not sound like an average Daft Punk song and tbf, a lot of disco and disco inspired music have very similar elements.

Can I ask those who compared them, how does Parachutes sound like Muse?

Honestly, I hate rubbishing anyones opinions but the whole Fall Out Boy post is the biggest load of rubbish I've ever read. They will not be remembered over Coldplay, they are by no means any bigger. Coldplay, whether we like them anymore or not, strive to have a different sound on each album, there's a difference between that and just selling out for radio. It's very arguable that Fall Out Boy have regressed to making music for radio now. When people use 'irrelevant' because they don't have a real argument is really silly. If Coldplay didn't have a big fanbase it would make a little sense but to pit them up against Fall Out Boy? Ridiculous.

Well if you had read a more recent post i made and if you werent 20 pages back on the thread, youd know that i have already turned around and apologized for anything rude that i said. Also i have come to the conclusion that Coldplay is a global band. They appeal to a wider audience spectrum. FOB is a radio rock band that is appealing to a smaller audience. I respect both bands but i will say i find myself listening to FOB more than Coldplay. Stump's voice is really addictive.

That sucks :( How'd you get bored of Fun?

Don't get me wrong, I like Tove Lo and that acoustic guitar, the lyrics are just too weak though and I find that 'you and me we were always meant to be' line a bit sappy (Nirvana reference;))

But I love AHFOD, AOAL, Birds, Amazing Day, the interludes (CS needs to be longer), Amazing Day and parts of Up&Up

I get Bored of The Scientist and Clocks from AROBTTH but that doesn't change anything about how these 2 are my favorite songs of all time

it's been almost 4 months since AHFOD is out and it's normal if anyone get bored of it .. for all who loved the album just go listen to something different for a while i promise you the album will be great again once you get back to it from a break

• Like 3

I will always be a big critic of Fun... I really can't get into it. When I first listened to the album I distinctly recall enjoying the album right up until Fun.

It is a really odd song in many ways in my opinion, the odd man out. First of all, the title is just awful because the song is NOT FUN. Second, the lyrics are very sub par nature metaphors--sun, rain, waves. Third, the meaning for me me is sweet, but kind of odd. The whole album is about feeling free and "alive again," and Everglow lyrically does a great job closing the whole GS themes of a broken relationship. Then Fun comes along with the lame lines "don't say it was all a waste." and "then, maybe we could again?" So...you are over the relationship or not? Just feels off. I don't think it is a Taylor Swift inspired track as much as it is an 80's pop throwback (which is what the brilliant 1989 went for). The murky guitar, cheesy drum fill, ballady chorus. They were going for a style I like, but in the end I think the melody is very pedestrian and forgettable. I am a big critic of modern pop, but Taylor Swift's last album was pop perfection--just amazing. If Coldplay was going for that here, they failed badly.

Fun should have been a B-side in my opinion. It just is a weird center to an album. It completely dissipates the energy of AOAL. Imagine listening to MX and having U.F.O follow up ETIAW...it just wouldn't work. Fun feels like a style of music that they could throw in an EP with Ghost Story, All Your Friends, maybe some X&Y tracks? I don't know. It just has the low-tempo alt-rock feel to it with a forgettable pop hook. If we do get an EP or some B-Sides (PLEASE GOD!!!!) then I would consider replacing Fun with something more upbeat or alternative.

Edit: This s me acknowledging that this post is maybe too critical. I think the song is average, and has grains of a better song in it: I actually like the electronic elements and especially the outro with that acoustic guitar--reminds me of Famous Old Painters.

I will always be a big critic of Fun... I really can't get into it. When I first listened to the album I distinctly recall enjoying the album right up until Fun.

It is a really odd song in many ways in my opinion, the odd man out. First of all, the title is just awful because the song is NOT FUN. Second, the lyrics are very sub par nature metaphors--sun, rain, waves. Third, the meaning for me me is sweet, but kind of odd. The whole album is about feeling free and "alive again," and Everglow lyrically does a great job closing the whole GS themes of a broken relationship. Then Fun comes along with the lame lines "don't say it was all a waste." and "then, maybe we could again?" So...you are over the relationship or not? Just feels off. I don't think it is a Taylor Swift inspired track as much as it is an 80's pop throwback (which is what the brilliant 1989 went for). The murky guitar, cheesy drum fill, ballady chorus. They were going for a style I like, but in the end I think the melody is very pedestrian and forgettable. I am a big critic of modern pop, but Taylor Swift's last album was pop perfection--just amazing. If Coldplay was going for that here, they failed badly.

Fun should have been a B-side in my opinion. It just is a weird center to an album. It completely dissipates the energy of AOAL. Imagine listening to MX and having U.F.O follow up ETIAW...it just wouldn't work. Fun feels like a style of music that they could throw in an EP with Ghost Story, All Your Friends, maybe some X&Y tracks? I don't know. It just has the low-tempo alt-rock feel to it with a forgettable pop hook. If we do get an EP or some B-Sides (PLEASE GOD!!!!) then I would consider replacing Fun with something more upbeat or alternative.

Edit: This s me acknowledging that this post is maybe too critical. I think the song is average, and has grains of a better song in it: I actually like the electronic elements and especially the outro with that acoustic guitar--reminds me of Famous Old Painters.

Just regarding the title, because I pretty much agree with you about everything else:D

I think the title is pretty good. You expect to hear crappy bubble gum pop from but it turns out to be a mellow song about how much fun they had, and it makes you (well atleast me) go "Ahh, that's clever". It would be a very unimaginative title if the song was actually bouncy and fun, right?:)

• Like 3

I completely agree about the lyrics. They still strike me as coming from someone who hasn't moved on from a relationship and hence the song doesn't fit on an album which is supposed to be about happiness and freedom.

Still loving the album. It actually does kinda flow. Its not as good as Ghost Stories' flow but its still there in my opinion

1. AHFOD: fast and energetic to get you going

2. Birds: Still fast but definitely laid back with an exciting crescendo at the end with a suspenseful cut off

3. HFTW: Energy held at the end of Birds is released

4. Everglow: Chill time

5. AOAL: Get your groove on again

6. Fun: Slow dance kinda vibe if you think about it

7. Kaleidoscope: Chill and listen to the album's main message. Maybe placed a little late in the track listing but whatevs.

8. Army of One: More upbeat

-XMTS: Skip at all costs

9. Amazing Day: Take a break and look at the beauty of the world

10. Color Spectrum: Take another rest. kinda wish this had some other thing to it because it really is a MX interlude.

11. Up&Up: *No caption needed*

Sent from my VIVO AIR using Coldplaying mobile app

• Like 1

They should have reunited with Jon Hopkins or something for this album. Would have made the production way better. I just cant listen to the original versions because Chris' vocals are not clear at all, especially on Everglow. Perhaps Stargate uses really shitty mics. The production is not clear either. The drums and vocals need more reverb. The instruments need to be spaced out a bit more. They also need to keep a control of the balance of production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I love this album, but I really wish it went had more rock-y instrumentation while still maintaining the happiness. Except for Birds, which I think has almost perfect production.

Up&Up is probably one of my favourite Coldplay songs, but it's unfortunate that they ditched acoustic drums for electric ones and removed the piano, along with other miscellaneous flaws.

• Like 4

Still loving the album. It actually does kinda flow. Its not as good as Ghost Stories' flow but its still there in my opinion

1. AHFOD: fast and energetic to get you going

2. Birds: Still fast but definitely laid back with an exciting crescendo at the end with a suspenseful cut off

3. HFTW: Energy held at the end of Birds is released

4. Everglow: Chill time

5. AOAL: Get your groove on again

6. Fun: Slow dance kinda vibe if you think about it

7. Kaleidoscope: Chill and listen to the album's main message. Maybe placed a little late in the track listing but whatevs.

8. Army of One: More upbeat

-XMTS: Skip at all costs

9. Amazing Day: Take a break and look at the beauty of the world

10. Color Spectrum: Take another rest. kinda wish this had some other thing to it because it really is a MX interlude.

11. Up&Up: *No caption needed*

Sent from my VIVO AIR using Coldplaying mobile app

I somewhat agree, but I think AHFOD could have really used one more fast song in the middle or end. Everything from Everglow to the end are relatively slow songs. Sure, AOAL, Army of One, and Up&Up are upbeat...but none are very fast. I think VLV and MX did a much better job on that front because VLV has Cemeteries of London to open, Lovers in Japan, and Viva la Vida as spaced out energetic songs. MX has HLH/Charlie Brown near the front, ETIAW in the middle, and DLIBYH in the back. AHFOD by comparison drags a little. Still love the album though but have realized I have this issue with it.

YES, I agree with the last few posts to some extent. I really love the album but it's in no way my favourite. I think if they album style/themes stayed the same but it was Jon Hopkins instead of Stargate, it would have sounded so much better. I also think they could have got rid of X Marks The Spot and Colour Spectrum and put a rockier/more up-tempo song near the end.

I somewhat agree, but I think AHFOD could have really used one more fast song in the middle or end. Everything from Everglow to the end are relatively slow songs. Sure, AOAL, Army of One, and Up&Up are upbeat...but none are very fast. I think VLV and MX did a much better job on that front because VLV has Cemeteries of London to open, Lovers in Japan, and Viva la Vida as spaced out energetic songs. MX has HLH/Charlie Brown near the front, ETIAW in the middle, and DLIBYH in the back. AHFOD by comparison drags a little. Still love the album though but have realized I have this issue with it.

Exactly my thoughts!! This album needs an up-tempo song just after Army of One, or even better, after Amazing Day. With that, and cutting XMTS, it would be so much better! It's still a great album :)