Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

If anyone wants to read my responses to the arguments and posts happening since page 929, then be my guest! :)

I agree. Those artists can do pop, but actually really well. Now Taylor Swift might be a little bit of a different story, but her older music is definetely very good.

One thing before I go saying anything else: I still like what Coldplay's doing. I don't mind AHFOD one bit. I can very well enjoy it. I like the new album. But, it is not a masterpiece, like AROBTTH is. So I have that out of the way.

So, yes, I do partially believe that he's doing more poppy tunes now because he has fun doing it now. If he enjoys pop, he enjoys pop. And unfortunately, he says that rock has nowhere left to go, which is completely and entirely false. In the mainstream, sure, rock is no longer there. But, he just needs to know what's out there. Yes, they did a few types of rock. However, you have a million more things you could do. They could do something entirely new if they wanted to. But why don't they? Why do they choose to make more mainstream-y tunes rather than trying something completely new and experimental? They know since they've worked with Eno before that they can always make something entirely new. And, hey, some of the tracks from the Viva era are very, very experimental, and sounds like something completely new. Honestly. But now, they're doing more mainstream tunes. And yes, maybe they do enjoy doing that. But partially, you have to admit it's partially influenced by money. They'd do the experimental stuff, yes, and they can. But will that keep them popular? Do you think it will? I honestly don't think so. Yes, they'll probably still remain popular to an extent, but now they've just grown into so big of a band that they feel that they have to do more pop tunes to keep the money rolling in. Of course they can have fun while doing it. But, they get to have fun, AND make money at the same time. HFTW for example, is definetely a song that would get popular, and Coldplay knew it. It fits perfectly into the mainstream of today. You just don't make a song like that without knowing that it'll get popular and you'll be getting tons of money. Bring Beyonce in, and you're set.

To sum it up, yes, it could be because they have fun doing it, but they also are partially doing it because of money. Again, you don't make a song like HFTW without realizing how popular it's going to get and the money.

P.S. @The Adversary isn't really spreading too much hate around the forum. They're just voicing their opinion, and that's fine. They're entitled to their own opinion, just like you are. It isn't hate. It's an opinion. Big difference there. You don't get to decide what's a fact and what's an opinion. (However, there is a fact that remains. And that is, that they're going more mainstream. And typically, at least sort of an artistic loss is expected from that. And arguably that's what happened to Coldplay. It's not all gone, as even with HFTW, as poppy as that may seem, it's still has different elements in it, such as the tapping on glass, guitar work at the end, etc.)

Lol you can explain it so much better than me xD

The thing is, Coldplay are actually doing collabs with the "better" pop artists. I have songs I personally enjoy from each of the artists you mentioned. The duet with AG was amazing. There are much worse artists out there...

However, there are definetely better artists out there to do collabs with. And I completely agree with you, you don't do this for creative or artistic merit.

The one thing about this is, these "bad" lyrics are rare in the album. Yes, you have "I oh I oh I got me feeling drunk and high, so high, so high" however HFTW is a club song, and it is bound to have those types of lyrics. Nowhere else in the album does any lyrics like that show up. You have the bad lyrics of XMTS "You make my heart ba boom ba boom boom" and slightly bad lyrics of AOAL "I feel my heart beating beneath my skin" repeated. Yes, these are valid points, and Coldplay definetely overall has done a better job in the past lyrics-wise, but still, you can find deep lyrics even in the new album. You just have to shift your attention off the worse lyrics. Then, and only then, will you realize that Coldplay still makes much more good lyrics rather than worse ones. Hope you understand :)

Oh and "fancy computer sounds"? I really don't mind that if it's done in the right way. It doesn't even have to be something like Midnight for it to be fine with me. You can't keep using organic all the time. I agree with Everglow, that one got slightly worse because of the electronic drumbeat that is completely unnecessary. But I don't really mind it all that much, in fact I embrace it if it adds something to the song. If it's just there just because as in Everglow, I don't really like that however. Voice effects are something that Coldplay have never tried before. And I feel that they wanted to try something new on that one. They use vocoders more and more now. So what? It's all a part of experimentation and trying something new. Yes, it could be partially influenced by their pop direction which generally has more processed vocals, but hey, it adds something to the song in my opinion. Army of One wouldn't be as good if it weren't for that vocal effect. It's interesting to see what they're doing with it, and it certainly isn't bad IMO. (That being said, the remake of AOAL someone posted that removed the vocal effects is in my opinion slightly better than the original version just to listen to, and one of the reasons being that they replaced the vocal effect with something much nicer, and as a whole just made the song much better). And again, this is a choice that'll definetely split the fans. Some will support it because it's something new, some won't because it's part of the pop scene in their eyes. In my eyes, it's them trying something new, but also a natural part of getting closer to the mainstream pop scene. And, in some cases, there are better choices than to use vocal effects. It's a matter of knowing when to use it and make it not sound annoying. (IMO, they did this with AOAL because it wouldn't have gotten as popular as it did without the vocal effects. But that's why we have the people here who do remakes of the songs to take that stuff out if we don't want it! It's all good :))

But this is a problem I find with anyone who tries to bash AHFOD or Newplay in general. They say "oh, the lyrics suck" and they give an example of the bad lyrics. In most cases I find it's the same two lines from HFTW and XMTS. That's because, guess what, there aren't any bad lyrics other than that. They keep using the same thing to try to prove their point, when really they're blinded by just two lines, when the other thousand lines are actually pretty good. So, if anyone want's to bash Coldplay's lyrical abilities anymore, please use something other than HFTW or XMTS or that one part in AOAL and point out to me every single line in the album which isn't very good. Right? There's only three or so. So that argument is now invalid. Just had to get that out of the way.

Ohhhh, I see where you're coming from in regards to @The Adversary spreading hate around the forum... kind of needs to be more careful with their words. You are right in a sense. That's not really right, as I see you have your opinion too.

He's not doing it repetitvely. It's not outright bashing. It's his opinion.

Wrong. I've said it somewhere in this comment, but I'll say it again: HFTW is not pure pop. It's pretty close to it, mind you. But there are elements in it that do set it apart just a little bit, and make it more experimental than your typical mainstream pop song. And generally, yes, the lyrics are weaker than most of Coldplay's lyrical output, but that's bound to happen since it was made to be a mainstream/club song. Not like I'd really want that though. I can listen to HFTW and enjoy it. Just me, though. It probably has to do with the fact that before I really really got into Coldplay, I listened to the radio a lot. And that's why you see me kind of enjoying the mainstream stuff much more than the other people in here. That's because when I was younger, I listened to the mainstream radio a lot lot more. And some of the appreciation for artists like Rihanna and such is still there. Since I grew up listening to it, I still have a thing for it I guess. IMO, even if it's mainstream, if it's a good song in my eyes I'll like it. And it doesn't have to be rock, yes it can be pop. It just has to be mainsream pop done well. And if it's done well, I don't care how popular it get's, I'll like it. And some of that is still with me today. And that's why I kind of still have a taste towards these more mainstream artists as well as the less known ones. Of course something really hidden and unknown and experimental I'll like, but I'd always listen to a mainstream pop song that I love any day over a hidden, less known song that I don't like as much (but still will appreciate given the artistry). Just had to explain that to any of you in case you were wondering why I kind of still like some of Rihanna's music and the like, etc...

However, there isn't one mainstream song I like from 2016 yet. Ever since AOAL was released, there's not one song actually released after that that was good. (Not sure if that other song from the Adele was released after that, in that case that's an exception).

Completely true. Generally I find that rock is much superior to pop, however the example you gave is perfect and I'm the same way.

Awesome list :thumbsup:

To an extent, yes, especially Coldplay's earliest work. But Parachutes IMO has it's own feeling that I've never heard from anywhere else. There are obvious Radiohead influences, yes, but every band when they start out has "influences" so you can't really say anything about anybody. And then skip forward to Viva la Vida. Some of the tracks in there are completely innovative and have a completely new sound to them that no one had before.

The only artist I can think of that has completely original content that no one else sounds like is Topaz.

(You're talking about X&Y)

Yeah. I've listened to U2, and sorry, but I can't find any blatant copycat things that Coldplay did in that album to rip off of U2. They sound different to me. (There are infleunces. But again, every band has influences).

Agreed with everything you said. I don't care if bands emulate others. It's their debut album, of course, what do you expect?

First statement: maybe so, but they still have their own signature sound.

Also, I still honestly think that ID won't get as popular as Coldplay. Yes, with their debut album, it debuted at 2, and their current album debuted #1 but Coldplay debuted #1 in both their first and second albums, and kept the streak going for another four albums! And then just recently, AHFOD finally reached #1. So ya.

As for TOP, Stressed Out is definetely mainstream and popular. However, it is not straight pop. It has infleunces of rap, rock, and pop all in one, and those types of songs are pretty rare. Meanwhile they put their own twist on it. Definetely a fan of what they're doing there. They were able to make something quite artistic WHILE making it catchy and super popular. Which is definetely a feat. I'd love for Coldplay to get out of their pop phase, make fantastic music while making it get really popular, just like their older days :wacky:

Hey! That's not generic!

Wow. I honestly don't think off the top of my head that I've listened to anything similar.

What??? That's not ID??? I was COMPLETELY convinced that was ID. No way!

I've been finding this. On Alt Nation it doesn't really sound like rock anymore, I mean some songs do, but now it's just alternative pop more so. Which is still better than mainstream pop :)

I just want to say that in general, I have a similar musical taste to what you describe. I also agree with the point made earlier that pure rock is pretty much not being produced nowadays. I have to say that, given that Coldplay wanted to make a "happy album," I don't think that the pure rock genre would fit it very well. I suspect that most artists would not be able to make a happy album without going all-out pop, yet Coldplay manages to keep AHFOD pretty creative/artistic, I would say.

Also, I can't help but notice that you have really good grammar and punctuation in your long post. :)

• Like 2

• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Im sorry, but if you listen to the verse and chorus' on Fun, it's so dang similar to one of those Taylor Swift songs. I cant name it off the top of my head, but I've heard something like that before. Quite cheesy for Coldplay to do imo. However, I do praise the instrumental. The ambient electric guitar work is awesome.

I can't really think of any Taylor Swift songs off the top of my head that sound like Fun...

Also, I said that it wasn't generic. Not that it didn't sound any similar to a Taylor Swift song. I'm sorry, but I just can't see this being a "generic teenager" song. I know it's hard to compare it to when you haven't heard much of those songs. Yes, it does seem like a teenager-ish song, but I'd say it's nowhere near what "teenager music" is today. (And I agree with @I ran away, Fun is a very good song off this album! :))

• Like 1

EDIT: Thanks to you guys, I have Last Friday Night stuck in my head...

Honestly, if this song were to be released in 2016 and did get popular, it would easily be my favorite "mainsream" song of 2016 thus far...

I just want to say that in general, I have a similar musical taste to what you describe. I also agree with the point made earlier that pure rock is pretty much not being produced nowadays. I have to say that, given that Coldplay wanted to make a "happy album," I don't think that the pure rock genre would fit it very well. I suspect that most artists would not be able to make a happy album without going all-out pop, yet Coldplay manages to keep AHFOD pretty creative/artistic, I would say.

Also, I can't help but notice that you have really good grammar and punctuation in your long post. :)

Haha thanks :)

I can't really think of any Taylor Swift songs off the top of my head that sound like Fun...

Also, I said that it wasn't generic. Not that it didn't sound any similar to a Taylor Swift song. I'm sorry, but I just can't see this being a "generic teenager" song. I know it's hard to compare it to when you haven't heard much of those songs. Yes, it does seem like a teenager-ish song, but I'd say it's nowhere near what "teenager music" is today. (And I agree with @I ran away, Fun is a very good song off this album! :))

Think about it. The melody of the verses and chorus, especially that acoustic guitar bit with chris singing. Like I said, the instrumental is great. That part definitely does not make it generic. But, it's the melody.

Not to start an argument but before I go I'm gonna defend my band. Yes they have only sold that many records because from 2001-2009 they were a garage punk band that only was famous with the punk culture which is why they didn't sell so much. After Fall Out Boy took a hiatus and returned in 2013, album sales with albums Save Rock And Roll and American Beauty/American Psycho have skyrocketed with both debuting at number 1. They are only 2 albums and 3 years into their arena rock career. How long did it take Coldplay to reach 80 million, or for them to get a Grammy? Fall Out Boy appeals to a larger audience now and even if they never win a single Grammy, they're still preserving something that Coldplay just decided to scrap because they wanted to blend in with the forgettable radio culture.

Talk to me in the Oldplaying forums.

Honestly, I hate rubbishing anyones opinions but the whole Fall Out Boy post is the biggest load of rubbish I've ever read. They will not be remembered over Coldplay, they are by no means any bigger. Coldplay, whether we like them anymore or not, strive to have a different sound on each album, there's a difference between that and just selling out for radio. It's very arguable that Fall Out Boy have regressed to making music for radio now. When people use 'irrelevant' because they don't have a real argument is really silly. If Coldplay didn't have a big fanbase it would make a little sense but to pit them up against Fall Out Boy? Ridiculous.

I feel like I'm starting to sound really negative but it seems that some people here will compare Coldplay to anyone just to bash them. Whilst AOAL has a similar bass to Get Lucky, it does not sound like an average Daft Punk song and tbf, a lot of disco and disco inspired music have very similar elements.

Can I ask those who compared them, how does Parachutes sound like Muse?

Honestly, I hate rubbishing anyones opinions but the whole Fall Out Boy post is the biggest load of rubbish I've ever read. They will not be remembered over Coldplay, they are by no means any bigger. Coldplay, whether we like them anymore or not, strive to have a different sound on each album, there's a difference between that and just selling out for radio. It's very arguable that Fall Out Boy have regressed to making music for radio now. When people use 'irrelevant' because they don't have a real argument is really silly. If Coldplay didn't have a big fanbase it would make a little sense but to pit them up against Fall Out Boy? Ridiculous.

Well if you had read a more recent post i made and if you werent 20 pages back on the thread, youd know that i have already turned around and apologized for anything rude that i said. Also i have come to the conclusion that Coldplay is a global band. They appeal to a wider audience spectrum. FOB is a radio rock band that is appealing to a smaller audience. I respect both bands but i will say i find myself listening to FOB more than Coldplay. Stump's voice is really addictive.

That sucks :( How'd you get bored of Fun?

Don't get me wrong, I like Tove Lo and that acoustic guitar, the lyrics are just too weak though and I find that 'you and me we were always meant to be' line a bit sappy (Nirvana reference;))

But I love AHFOD, AOAL, Birds, Amazing Day, the interludes (CS needs to be longer), Amazing Day and parts of Up&Up

I get Bored of The Scientist and Clocks from AROBTTH but that doesn't change anything about how these 2 are my favorite songs of all time

it's been almost 4 months since AHFOD is out and it's normal if anyone get bored of it .. for all who loved the album just go listen to something different for a while i promise you the album will be great again once you get back to it from a break

• Like 3

I will always be a big critic of Fun... I really can't get into it. When I first listened to the album I distinctly recall enjoying the album right up until Fun.

It is a really odd song in many ways in my opinion, the odd man out. First of all, the title is just awful because the song is NOT FUN. Second, the lyrics are very sub par nature metaphors--sun, rain, waves. Third, the meaning for me me is sweet, but kind of odd. The whole album is about feeling free and "alive again," and Everglow lyrically does a great job closing the whole GS themes of a broken relationship. Then Fun comes along with the lame lines "don't say it was all a waste." and "then, maybe we could again?" So...you are over the relationship or not? Just feels off. I don't think it is a Taylor Swift inspired track as much as it is an 80's pop throwback (which is what the brilliant 1989 went for). The murky guitar, cheesy drum fill, ballady chorus. They were going for a style I like, but in the end I think the melody is very pedestrian and forgettable. I am a big critic of modern pop, but Taylor Swift's last album was pop perfection--just amazing. If Coldplay was going for that here, they failed badly.

Fun should have been a B-side in my opinion. It just is a weird center to an album. It completely dissipates the energy of AOAL. Imagine listening to MX and having U.F.O follow up ETIAW...it just wouldn't work. Fun feels like a style of music that they could throw in an EP with Ghost Story, All Your Friends, maybe some X&Y tracks? I don't know. It just has the low-tempo alt-rock feel to it with a forgettable pop hook. If we do get an EP or some B-Sides (PLEASE GOD!!!!) then I would consider replacing Fun with something more upbeat or alternative.

Edit: This s me acknowledging that this post is maybe too critical. I think the song is average, and has grains of a better song in it: I actually like the electronic elements and especially the outro with that acoustic guitar--reminds me of Famous Old Painters.

I will always be a big critic of Fun... I really can't get into it. When I first listened to the album I distinctly recall enjoying the album right up until Fun.

It is a really odd song in many ways in my opinion, the odd man out. First of all, the title is just awful because the song is NOT FUN. Second, the lyrics are very sub par nature metaphors--sun, rain, waves. Third, the meaning for me me is sweet, but kind of odd. The whole album is about feeling free and "alive again," and Everglow lyrically does a great job closing the whole GS themes of a broken relationship. Then Fun comes along with the lame lines "don't say it was all a waste." and "then, maybe we could again?" So...you are over the relationship or not? Just feels off. I don't think it is a Taylor Swift inspired track as much as it is an 80's pop throwback (which is what the brilliant 1989 went for). The murky guitar, cheesy drum fill, ballady chorus. They were going for a style I like, but in the end I think the melody is very pedestrian and forgettable. I am a big critic of modern pop, but Taylor Swift's last album was pop perfection--just amazing. If Coldplay was going for that here, they failed badly.

Fun should have been a B-side in my opinion. It just is a weird center to an album. It completely dissipates the energy of AOAL. Imagine listening to MX and having U.F.O follow up ETIAW...it just wouldn't work. Fun feels like a style of music that they could throw in an EP with Ghost Story, All Your Friends, maybe some X&Y tracks? I don't know. It just has the low-tempo alt-rock feel to it with a forgettable pop hook. If we do get an EP or some B-Sides (PLEASE GOD!!!!) then I would consider replacing Fun with something more upbeat or alternative.

Edit: This s me acknowledging that this post is maybe too critical. I think the song is average, and has grains of a better song in it: I actually like the electronic elements and especially the outro with that acoustic guitar--reminds me of Famous Old Painters.

Just regarding the title, because I pretty much agree with you about everything else:D

I think the title is pretty good. You expect to hear crappy bubble gum pop from but it turns out to be a mellow song about how much fun they had, and it makes you (well atleast me) go "Ahh, that's clever". It would be a very unimaginative title if the song was actually bouncy and fun, right?:)

• Like 3

I completely agree about the lyrics. They still strike me as coming from someone who hasn't moved on from a relationship and hence the song doesn't fit on an album which is supposed to be about happiness and freedom.

Still loving the album. It actually does kinda flow. Its not as good as Ghost Stories' flow but its still there in my opinion

1. AHFOD: fast and energetic to get you going

2. Birds: Still fast but definitely laid back with an exciting crescendo at the end with a suspenseful cut off

3. HFTW: Energy held at the end of Birds is released

4. Everglow: Chill time

5. AOAL: Get your groove on again

6. Fun: Slow dance kinda vibe if you think about it

7. Kaleidoscope: Chill and listen to the album's main message. Maybe placed a little late in the track listing but whatevs.

8. Army of One: More upbeat

-XMTS: Skip at all costs

9. Amazing Day: Take a break and look at the beauty of the world

10. Color Spectrum: Take another rest. kinda wish this had some other thing to it because it really is a MX interlude.

11. Up&Up: *No caption needed*

Sent from my VIVO AIR using Coldplaying mobile app

• Like 1

They should have reunited with Jon Hopkins or something for this album. Would have made the production way better. I just cant listen to the original versions because Chris' vocals are not clear at all, especially on Everglow. Perhaps Stargate uses really shitty mics. The production is not clear either. The drums and vocals need more reverb. The instruments need to be spaced out a bit more. They also need to keep a control of the balance of production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I love this album, but I really wish it went had more rock-y instrumentation while still maintaining the happiness. Except for Birds, which I think has almost perfect production.

Up&Up is probably one of my favourite Coldplay songs, but it's unfortunate that they ditched acoustic drums for electric ones and removed the piano, along with other miscellaneous flaws.

• Like 4

Still loving the album. It actually does kinda flow. Its not as good as Ghost Stories' flow but its still there in my opinion

1. AHFOD: fast and energetic to get you going

2. Birds: Still fast but definitely laid back with an exciting crescendo at the end with a suspenseful cut off

3. HFTW: Energy held at the end of Birds is released

4. Everglow: Chill time

5. AOAL: Get your groove on again

6. Fun: Slow dance kinda vibe if you think about it

7. Kaleidoscope: Chill and listen to the album's main message. Maybe placed a little late in the track listing but whatevs.

8. Army of One: More upbeat

-XMTS: Skip at all costs

9. Amazing Day: Take a break and look at the beauty of the world

10. Color Spectrum: Take another rest. kinda wish this had some other thing to it because it really is a MX interlude.

11. Up&Up: *No caption needed*

Sent from my VIVO AIR using Coldplaying mobile app

I somewhat agree, but I think AHFOD could have really used one more fast song in the middle or end. Everything from Everglow to the end are relatively slow songs. Sure, AOAL, Army of One, and Up&Up are upbeat...but none are very fast. I think VLV and MX did a much better job on that front because VLV has Cemeteries of London to open, Lovers in Japan, and Viva la Vida as spaced out energetic songs. MX has HLH/Charlie Brown near the front, ETIAW in the middle, and DLIBYH in the back. AHFOD by comparison drags a little. Still love the album though but have realized I have this issue with it.

YES, I agree with the last few posts to some extent. I really love the album but it's in no way my favourite. I think if they album style/themes stayed the same but it was Jon Hopkins instead of Stargate, it would have sounded so much better. I also think they could have got rid of X Marks The Spot and Colour Spectrum and put a rockier/more up-tempo song near the end.