✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

True Love is the next video? *Official video released*

mayrn43

I think if the big suits weren't there the video would be better

Better, but still not good. Actually, I think the big suits were needed for the direction they were going. Unfortunately, it wasn't a very good direction.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kmm1482
So lets preface this by saying the MVs never really matter to me, so long as the music is good.

However, I must say this was a stinker. I already wasn't a big fan of the MVs for Midnight and Magic. A Sky Full of Stars was okay though. But True Love was just so cringe worthy in my view. I think it stemmed from the fat suit and all....

Add on top of that the missing members of Coldplay. Like, WTF!? Either they don't have them at all in videos (like Magic) or they show up in the video and do nothing in them (like Midnight). Just the same gripes I usually make with poor Coldplay MVs. Iunno, I set the bar pretty low for this after the Magic video and I wasn't surprised at my renewed disappointment.

I go back to what I said after the Magic video: they can't go wrong with a performance-based video, where the acting is minimal and the input/attendance from the rest of the band is maximal. To me, the best thing about Coldplay are their live shows. So why not give that impression in an MV in the style of a performance video a la Clocks or Fix You? Perhaps they're trying to hit a home-run with a non-performance based video (like Yellow, The Scientist, Strawberry Swing), but they've struck out more than anything. Anyone calling this video a perfect, 10/10 is just lying to themselves. What kind of '10/10' Coldplay video doesn't even have 100% of the band in it?

I'll prolly get flamed for that rant, but of course this is all opinion, mines and others. I wasn't saying anyone's opinion is wrong, but I can't see how this video can be rated anything above 8/10 personally.

I think you're definitely right. What a lazy waste of time this was. I didn't laugh once or even smile once. And anyone who thought it was "cute" is basically admitting that the video has absolutely NO connection with the song.

Chris is totally making music and videos for his kids so that they could scream KAWAIIIIII....that's it...

this! but i hope it won't last long or else coldplay music lovers would become "strictly for teens, tweens and younger"..

True Love is a completely different song and I would of liked to see a darker themed and emotional video, the same 'acting style' video of Magic does not suit the song at all. The Midnight video (a few peeps are mentioning just 3 vids) was bang on, really absorbing, complimented the song, trippy and mysterious.

I go back to what I said after the Magic video: they can't go wrong with a performance-based video, where the acting is minimal and the input/attendance from the rest of the band is maximal. To me, the best thing about Coldplay are their live shows. So why not give that impression in an MV in the style of a performance video a la Clocks or Fix You? Perhaps they're trying to hit a home-run with a non-performance based video (like Yellow, The Scientist, Strawberry Swing), but they've struck out more than anything. Anyone calling this video a perfect, 10/10 is just lying to themselves. What kind of '10/10' Coldplay video doesn't even have 100% of the band in it?

My feelings exactly.

Its all very well if you think the video is cute and sweeeeet and funny, in which case I recommend you watch ninja turtles and high school musical, but their videos lack certain qualities that are unforgivable for a band of such status. Imagination, creativity, sophistication, originality, production, seriousness in some cases (for songs like True Love), performance based visuals and THE BAND. The video also needs to have a connection with the song and not just be "cute".

Strawberry Swing is a perfect example of what they're capable of achieving. Its still effectively a love story but the video is very well thought out and greatly executed.

I wiewd this once and it was so cringeworthy and uncomfortable to watch!

Tbh, i've been thinking about this a long time and it clear to me now that Coldplay is effectively trying to stay mainstream to the point where they have jumped on the bandwagon of making stupid "funny" music videos to get more views. Also i think they are still trying to make funny videos to cleanse the bland reputation that Coldplay once (still maybe) has. I remember Viva era that u could defend Coldplay easily when talking to a hater. Nowadays, I usually agree and say Coldplay has sold out. Have they sold out? Idk, they honestly don't need to. They seem to want to. This video was god awful...

This is like when muse did the panic station video... A bit crazy and random. But i like that they dont take them selves so serious. :)

The Panic Station video?! That was extremely creative and very funky in a rock and roll kind of way. You simply cannot compare the two.

Muse are legendarily good at music videos. Its outrageous to compare them to Coldplay.

The Panic Station video suited the song with the funky disco vibe, it's a fun song. The style of the True Love video would of probably suited Ink being a fun and laid back song.

The UK video for Trouble is a great example of something simple that compliments the song so so well.

[video=youtube;2gf0njGOJ1o]

I was thinking about this last night and I came up with my ideal video for true love.... Here's what I came up with:

It begins with a shot of Chris in a black room it pauses for a few seconds the music kicks in and he starts singing the song (this is all a close up of Chris)... When the bass drum kicks in before the chorus it slowly turns into a wide shot and reveals the whole band with the paint explosions behind them... It moves from one member to another and focus' in on Johnny during his solo (with a shot from the side so you can still we the rest of the band) after his solo it cuts back to the whole band until Chris starts singing the "ohs" at the end and it goes back into the close up of Chris. With the rest of the band blacked out and the paint explosions going on until Chris closes his eyes on the last note of the song and the whole screen just goes black!

What do you think?

Tbh, i've been thinking about this a long time and it clear to me now that Coldplay is effectively trying to stay mainstream to the point where they have jumped on the bandwagon of making stupid "funny" music videos to get more views. Also i think they are still trying to make funny videos to cleanse the bland reputation that Coldplay once (still maybe) has. I remember Viva era that u could defend Coldplay easily when talking to a hater. Nowadays, I usually agree and say Coldplay has sold out. Have they sold out? Idk, they honestly don't need to. They seem to want to. This video was god awful...

Hmm, I wouldn't have drawn the conclusion of them selling out just from this video though....But if you wanna ask that question, no, I don't think they've sold out. I think Chris genuinely likes musicians like Avicii, Rihanna and One Direction. That doesn't mean he's sold out. To me, you sell out when you sell your music for a Pepsi ad, or show up in a shampoo commercial or something. If Coldplay were selling out, they aren't doing a great job at it. If they really tried to, you'd be seeing them in ads everywhere and just raping your eyeballs with commercials all the time...but you don't see that what so-ever except the Target ad (only in USA) and the viva-itunes ad.

I was thinking about this last night and I came up with my ideal video for true love.... Here's what I came up with:

It begins with a shot of Chris in a black room it pauses for a few seconds the music kicks in and he starts singing the song (this is all a close up of Chris)... When the bass drum kicks in before the chorus it slowly turns into a wide shot and reveals the whole band with the paint explosions behind them... It moves from one member to another and focus' in on Johnny during his solo (with a shot from the side so you can still we the rest of the band) after his solo it cuts back to the whole band until Chris starts singing the "ohs" at the end and it goes back into the close up of Chris. With the rest of the band blacked out and the paint explosions going on until Chris closes his eyes on the last note of the song and the whole screen just goes black!

What do you think?

Really? :|

Btw I really like your idea, it's minimalstic and includes the WHOLE band. And I think the song requires a nice simple intimate video of the band, so I prefer yours over the official one a 4789523893890 times already :wacko:

Really? :|

Btw I really like your idea, it's minimalstic and includes the WHOLE band. And I think the song requires a nice simple intimate video of the band, so I prefer yours over the official one a 4789523893890 times already :wacko:

I just feel if it was done like that or something like that it would suit the song better but thats just my opinion

No, I don't think they "sold out", Chris just happens to like very cheesy stuff

I just feel if it was done like that or something like that it would suit the song better but thats just my opinion

Yes... like, the first couple of Coldplay music videos were done, just the bands, some interesting setting they're playing in, and maybe some effects. SOME. :wacko:

No, I don't think they "sold out", Chris just happens to like very cheesy stuff

i think it reflects more on what his current mental state is. and one major factor of that seems to be making music that his kids would love.

i think it reflects more on what his current mental state is. and one major factor of that seems to be making music that his kids would love.

When he first said that I thought he was either joking or was just being a great father in trying to somehow please his children. But of course now we know he is dead serious. And its terrifying! :\