✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

This.

You can rationalize all the reasons in the world why the band are putting out the musical output that they are: They're happier, They have families, They're older, They're trying to stay current blah blah blah it still doesn't excuse the fact that the music is terrible.

You can still make "happy" music while maintaining your artistic integrity (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/(What's_the_Story)_Morning_Glory?)

You can still make a "pop" record without losing your artistic integrity (see MGMT, Foster the People, M83, Florence + The Machine, Coldplay (pre 2009) etc. etc.)

I'd say take a look at U2 for making a dance/pop album whilst maintaining artistic integrity. Their album "Pop" is a good example of this "Mofo" for example is a great dance type track which shows Edges talents off whilst keeping a heavy U2 sound, it's an absolutely brilliant track, same for "Discotheque". Pop is a very underrated U2 album which shows this to some extent.

^^^ All of you have very valid points... I do see where you guys are coming from and I do realise the loss that has occurred... That perfectionism is gone (the music is still pretty good but no longer as perfect as it used to be). For some of you I know that is all that matters (and that is valid as well), but where does that leave you and your relationship with the band? They are no longer content to hide behind maybes and ambiguity, that's why with this album they have come out and clarified a lot more aspects of it early on than they previously have...

The problem is that 'the chicken has flown the coop' so to speak - they no longer want to obsess about this perfectionism (most psychologists will tell you it helps achievement but is not healthy emotionally nor for relationships long term) and are moving on with other bigger, broader concepts... Celebrating love and life (their version of celebrating anyway), recognising some inequalities in the world and this time offering what they can to uplift and help (i.e. acknowledgement and empathy) while recognizing for their own emotional health they can't take on everything, and finding joy moment-to-moment in what they do... These are just some of the things they are drawing attention to with this album... Obviously you can disregard it if you feel it is not relevant / they are not sincere about it... Unfortunately you may be missing the point (they have made references to these aspects already in their various interviews this time around) and again, it doesn't help your current relationship with the band given that they seem to have indicated they are more focused elsewhere this time around...

I am moving beyond the mere quality of the music... Obviously in a perfect world that would be all that matters, and I agree that no amount of glossing over can change the negative points... But yeah, that leaves you in disconnect with the band when they have offered their vision for the album as a way to move forward. They have grown and matured and have other responsibilities now than to obsess just over music... Can you live with that?

^^^ All of you have very valid points... I do see where you guys are coming from and I do realise the loss that has occurred... That perfectionism is gone (the music is still pretty good but no longer as perfect as it used to be). For some of you I know that is all that matters (and that is valid as well), but where does that leave you and your relationship with the band? They are no longer content to hide behind maybes and ambiguity, that's why with this album they have come out and clarified a lot more aspects of it early on than they previously have...

The problem is that 'the chicken has flown the coop' so to speak - they no longer want to obsess about this perfectionism (most psychologists will tell you it helps achievement but is not healthy emotionally nor for relationships long term) and are moving on with other bigger, broader concepts... Celebrating love and life (their version of celebrating anyway), recognising some inequalities in the world and this time offering what they can to uplift and help (i.e. acknowledgement and empathy) while recognizing for their own emotional health they can't take on everything, and finding joy moment-to-moment in what they do... These are just some of the things they are drawing attention to with this album... Obviously you can disregard it if you feel it is not relevant / they are not sincere about it... Unfortunately you may be missing the point (they have made references to these aspects already in their various interviews this time around) and again, it doesn't help your current relationship with the band given that they seem to have indicated they are more focused elsewhere this time around...

I am moving beyond the mere quality of the music... Obviously in a perfect world that would be all that matters, and I agree that no amount of glossing over can change the negative points... But yeah, that leaves you in disconnect with the band when they have offered their vision for the album as a way to move forward. They have grown and matured and have other responsibilities now than to obsess just over music... Can you live with that?

They always had this sense of savetheworldepicness, but they don't save the world, they're just great musicians. As men they're very active for good causes, but it doesn't have to be related to their music. They didn't lose their attitude of being great people, they lost their quality in music composition technically speaking. We are not discussing them for the great guys they are (apart from the friendship between Chris and Jay-Z that started the ruining process), but the music they produce, and round here it's fair to say that there's no comparison in terms of quality between the post-Viva period and the previous one.

They always had this sense of savetheworldepicness, but they don't save the world, they're just great musicians. As men they're very active for good causes, but it doesn't have to be related to their music. They didn't lose their attitude of being great people, they lost their quality in music composition technically speaking. We are not discussing them for the great guys they are (apart from the friendship between Chris and Jay-Z that started the ruining process), but the music they produce, and round here it's fair to say that there's no comparison in terms of quality between the post-Viva period and the previous one.

Yeah, noone is having a go at them as people, we're just saying that the quality of music they produce is now not at a good standard.

What I would say is that most of the oldplayers are confused as to why Chris would take the band in a boring and bland direction, seemingly aimed at a mass audience. It seems a very cynical move to appeal to everyone and to sell albums. Star guests, poppy production and radio friendly blandness (could they be under pressure from their record company?) .

There seems to be such a decline in the quality of melodies and songs Chris is writing, it just all seems so lazy and clichéd now whereas before they were crafted and intelligent almost at a Radiohead level.

I don't think it's Chris and the band "moving on" and having a different direction now, I just think Chris is maybe running out of ideas, it's a natural thing that happens to songwriters. Amazing Day for example is possibly the laziest and clichéd of songs I've ever heard, it's A+B=C Coldplay.

• Like 1

The sad thing is while AHFOD is definitely Coldplay's worst album no doubt it will be remembered fondly because of how massive the tour is going to be.

If it sinks in the charts, it'll be remembered badly. Is a big tour enough to get it remembered well?

Have you paid attention to Chris when he sings Amazing Day or Everglow live? He really concentrates on every word and emotion in those songs (although you have to empty the mind / emotional distraction to feel it)... The other songs are more music and less lyrics (I feel) although CM still puts in a quite a lot of effort for Up&Up. As for the other band members, I've never seen them enjoy the prominence / limelight on-stage as much... In their prominent parts, they are now more willing to "show off" a bit - I interpret that as them "feeling it", although it is more reflective of their state of mind and feelings, than them trying to move us with the sound...

They have changed there... with this album (and even GS), they have found themselves and feel more confident... there is less "trying to please" as they used to do, as opposed to inviting people to join them for the musical experience that they have created (and which they enjoy themselves)... It may lose them fans (particularly as they have always tried to please), but I guess maybe they think "we lose fans with each new sound anyway"...

I saw Chris performing Everglow on Ellen. He looked so happy and not at all serious like he used to when he sang romantic ballads

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be happening with this album :/

I had to laugh out loud at your comment. Us Coldplay fans sure are weird. We love them but when they suck we don't want them to top the charts! I admit I felt the same way. I was kind of hoping they wouldn't be number one with this album simply in vain hoping that they could see their new music wasn't that good and they'd go back and start sounding like they used to.

Guest kmm1482
I had to laugh out loud at your comment. Us Coldplay fans sure are weird. We love them but when they suck we don't want them to top the charts! I admit I felt the same way. I was kind of hoping they wouldn't be number one with this album simply in vain hoping that they could see their new music wasn't that good and they'd go back and start sounding like they used to.

Yeah, and I hate being that way too! But I feel the better it does, that's the public saying "Yes! We love that! More of that sound!"

I saw Chris performing Everglow on Ellen. He looked so happy and not at all serious like he used to when he sang romantic ballads

He should be allowed to be happy on Everglow, it is supposed to be the realisation that even when love dies, something positive lives on, in "Everglow". All the good that came out of that relationship, is that not worth smiling about? Btw I have not seen the Ellen performances so am not really qualified to comment on this particular performance... But have you seen him sing Everglow at the Hackney Church (album launch in the UK), also at Belasco Theatre (Tidal stream)? Also Amazing Day at these (as well as Global Citizen) - he really concentrates on the song and squeezes out every bit of emotion there... please don't call it cheesey (otherwise I'll just say there's no pleasing you guys - how else can he show emotion then?)

Just finished listening to Everything's Not Lost Live 2003. Just listening to it gives me chills because not only is the song beautiful, but the way he gets the crowd involved is equally as great. If only they could bring that song back as a closer for the AHFOD tour.... It would kinda make sense though with the whole "completion of something" thing

If there's any song that I enjoy from AHFOD it has to be Kaleidoscope (the damn filler) and maybe the titular one (U2 mimicry) otherwise I really can't see all the hype. Up and Up and Everglow, the more appreciated songs have some of the most clichéd melodies I have ever heard, especially Everglow. I was hoping for a surprise (I thought about a possible black metal album~Coldmetal? Lol)

I sometimes ask myself why I still listen to them and favor them. I'm now more of an avid Radiohead fan than anything. Then I realized that Coldplay is like a black hole. That's why we are still all here.

• Like 1

If there's any song that I enjoy from AHFOD it has to be Kaleidoscope (the damn filler) and maybe the titular one (U2 mimicry) otherwise I really can't see all the hype. Up and Up and Everglow, the more appreciated songs have some of the most clichéd melodies I have ever heard, especially Everglow. I was hoping for a surprise (I thought about a possible black metal album~Coldmetal? Lol)

I sometimes ask myself why I still listen to them and favor them. I'm now more of an avid Radiohead fan than anything. Then I realized that Coldplay is like a black hole. That's why we are still all here.

Surely Amazing Day has the most clichéd melody ever written? It's like Coldplay trying hard to do a Coldplay song. It's just terrible.

Guest kmm1482

New Radiohead album and full tour this coming year!!