✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

You're a bit naive to think the main downfall or reason why many of us don't like the direction they took with AHFOD is because of Stargate. It was obviously a decision the whole band made to choose who produces them and how songs sound and end up on the album.

The ultimate problem with AHFOD alongside Stargate is just that the tunes aren't good. It's just an average to poor album.

You're a bit naive to think the main downfall or reason why many of us don't like the direction they took with AHFOD is because of Stargate. It was obviously a decision the whole band made to choose who produces them and how songs sound and end up on the album.

Regardless it's horribly produced. Ripped the wavs from the CD and played it through my setup and it's far and away their worst production. Which is pretty hard to believe when you have MX. Will's cymbals on some songs are crushed beyond repair. It's unbelieveable it didn't get picked up.

• Like 1

Just catching up and reading through some posts on other threads saying Amazing Day is better than Yellow and it's the greatest album ever etc.......lol. Incredible, I can only assume these people don't listen to much music!

Sent from my Nexus 6P

And what makes you think that the band actually wanted the album to be this way? Think of Miracles. It still reminds me a bit of Oldplay, In my opinion, on some parts. AHFOD is nothing like that. They may have trusted Stargate and their decisions a little too much, regardless of the bands own opinions. They must have thought that Stargate knew what they were doing and didn't intervene.

Quote from Will "Stargate are brilliant at finding what’s important in a piece of music and letting everything else sit back"

Oh yes, of course.

jfc Will, you're supposed to be the "wise" one

Please tell me this is all part of some elaborate joke. Rock is dead? Stargate are brilliant?

I can't even comprehend this.

• Like 4

Well, but outside this cosy place called the Oldplaying thread people will jump at you for that and tell you that Coldplay haven't changed after all ! Honestly, everyone who postulates that should watch this for example

and then compare it to the current stuff !

This sonnnggg

No piece of music has ever made me as emotional as the solo Jonny plays at 3:07

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb_7C1vMpRQ

• Like 2

jfc Will, you're supposed to be the "wise" one

Please tell me this is all part of some elaborate joke. Rock is dead? Stargate are brilliant?

I can't even comprehend this.

Maybe it's a sign that some of you may need to have a look at what this band is saying and getting at (ie the deeper meaning if you can find it) with what they are doing... They have always been a thinking band, I don't think they are less considered now, but maybe they are 1) listening more to their hearts (tends to happen once people settle down, become happier / more content, have kids - I know it's becoming repetitive, but it's often true), 2) they are learning that some of the secrets to happiness are to be a bit more "in the moment", look for / create joy and meaning in life, and be less critical of things - these all translate in the album (the process of making it, not so much necessarily making the best possible end-product) - they have decided pop is the biggest platform to bring joy to the masses (and uplift / entertain / reach the most people), and have proceeded to make their version of it, tried to enjoy the process of making it, and I think allow more outside influence (ie let go / cede control) and find meaning through the lyrics, joyful emotions in the music, acknowledgements (musical nods) to their influences, and the collaborations with people that inspire / matter to them (ie their world, not necessarily the rest of the world at large).

Rock may well still have musical freshness, but the band are probably tired of the defining / associated characteristics - the excesses, the posturing, being cool / trying to be cool, lack of causes to "rock and roll" about where it actually means anything / makes a real difference... They may eventually return to its roots and try old-school rock from the 1940's-1960's, but it would not be easy I imagine given the market / audience is not readily prepared to hear those sounds again at this point - I think we can all agree that the band is too mainstream now to ever cater to just a narrow segment of the musical market (much as we'd like them to), although they may be ambitious enough to try and turn people's ears and introduce the public to genres / types of music they think are worth listening to in future (eg if they choose early rock and roll).

Does this make AHFOD the best / worst Coldplay album ever? I guess it depends on how much weight you put into the factors above... From a purely musical perspective it is probably not the most inspired, but as the end-product of a process, I give it top marks! It's like the musical version of Jamie Oliver (sorry if anyone cringed)... celebrating and nurturing relationships, wholesome roots, crowd-pleasing and lots of flavour. Then again, I might be totally over-reaching with the Jamie Oliver comment :P

• Like 1

You can give all the reasons because you think Ahfod is a good record, still remains the lack of inspiration in lyrics (they are really terrible), in the progression/flow, in originality (it's mainstream), in production (a shame), in versatily during the development of the songs (repeated riffs, songs with filler choirs to make then last longer, etc)

• Like 1

Guest kmm1482
Maybe it's a sign that some of you may need to have a look at what this band is saying and getting at (ie the deeper meaning if you can find it) with what they are doing... They have always been a thinking band, I don't think they are less considered now, but maybe they are 1) listening more to their hearts (tends to happen once people settle down, become happier / more content, have kids - I know it's becoming repetitive, but it's often true), 2) they are learning that some of the secrets to happiness are to be a bit more "in the moment", look for / create joy and meaning in life, and be less critical of things - these all translate in the album (the process of making it, not so much necessarily making the best possible end-product) - they have decided pop is the biggest platform to bring joy to the masses (and uplift / entertain / reach the most people), and have proceeded to make their version of it, tried to enjoy the process of making it, and I think allow more outside influence (ie let go / cede control) and find meaning through the lyrics, joyful emotions in the music, acknowledgements (musical nods) to their influences, and the collaborations with people that inspire / matter to them (ie their world, not necessarily the rest of the world at large).

Rock may well still have musical freshness, but the band are probably tired of the defining / associated characteristics - the excesses, the posturing, being cool / trying to be cool, lack of causes to "rock and roll" about where it actually means anything / makes a real difference... They may eventually return to its roots and try old-school rock from the 1940's-1960's, but it would not be easy I imagine given the market / audience is not readily prepared to hear those sounds again at this point - I think we can all agree that the band is too mainstream now to ever cater to just a narrow segment of the musical market (much as we'd like them to), although they may be ambitious enough to try and turn people's ears and introduce the public to genres / types of music they think are worth listening to in future (eg if they choose early rock and roll).

Does this make AHFOD the best / worst Coldplay album ever? I guess it depends on how much weight you put into the factors above... From a purely musical perspective it is probably not the most inspired, but as the end-product of a process, I give it top marks! It's like the musical version of Jamie Oliver (sorry if anyone cringed)... celebrating and nurturing relationships, wholesome roots, crowd-pleasing and lots of flavour. Then again, I might be totally over-reaching with the Jamie Oliver comment :P

I did listen to what they were saying. And I don't want an "end-product of a process", I want to be moved, I want the same goosebumps I got the first time I listened to Parachutes-Viva, I want tears in my eyes as I sing along with a Scientist or Strawberry Swing. I haven't gotten that in a long, long time from this band. For me, For. Me, myself, this band has sharply veered away from what got me to love them in the first place; four guys playing instruments together in a studio playing raw, earnest, emotional songs.

You can give all the reasons because you think Ahfod is a good record, still remains the lack of inspiration in lyrics (they are really terrible), in the progression/flow, in originality (it's mainstream), in production (a shame), in versatily during the development of the songs (repeated riffs, songs with filler choirs to make then last longer, etc)

I did listen to what they were saying. And I don't want an "end-product of a process", I want to be moved, I want the same goosebumps I got the first time I listened to Parachutes-Viva, I want tears in my eyes as I sing along with a Scientist or Strawberry Swing. I haven't gotten that in a long, long time from this band. For me, For. Me, myself, this band has sharply veered away from what got me to love them in the first place; four guys playing instruments together in a studio playing raw, earnest, emotional songs.

Guilty as charged! Although that last bit about playing raw, earnest, emotional songs... I think the band still do that and they probably sincerely and truly feel that they still do that (ok, maybe not raw - no point picking at healed scabs, but still earnest and emotional) - just may not connect with the same audience that they did previously.

What now for you guys then? The band have clearly demonstrated (with this album at least) that they are currently looking at enjoying what they are doing, caring about the process (quite possibly more than the outcome - although if you want to be kind, it is possible that it is still learning for them), and celebrating their lives & this milestone they've reached... They have invited us to come along, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

You could of course argue whether the milestone is worth celebrating, but really, it's their album and the significance is theirs to interpret and to confer, so who are we to argue if they say it is...

Guest kmm1482
Guilty as charged! Although that last bit about playing raw, earnest, emotional songs... I think the band still do that and they probably sincerely and truly feel that they still do that (ok, maybe not raw - no point picking at healed scabs, but still earnest and emotional) - just may not connect with the same audience that they did previously.

What now for you guys then? The band have clearly demonstrated (with this album at least) that they are currently looking at enjoying what they are doing, caring about the process (quite possibly more than the outcome - although if you want to be kind, it is possible that it is still learning for them), and celebrating their lives & this milestone they've reached... They have invited us to come along, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

You could of course argue whether the milestone is worth celebrating, but really, it's their album and the significance is theirs to interpret and to confer, so who are we to argue if they say it is...

I don't get the feeling that they do anymore. When I look at early live performances, I don't see a jumping-around, crotch-grabbing, name-dropping, stadium-playing, running-through-glitter/confetti Chris. I see him playing from his heart and feeling the emotion of every word of Shiver or Green Eyes. And I'm not the only one who thinks that. You may think they still do that, but they do it for a completely different audience now.

I don't get the feeling that they do anymore. When I look at early live performances, I don't see a jumping-around, crotch-grabbing, name-dropping, stadium-playing, running-through-glitter/confetti Chris. I see him playing from his heart and feeling the emotion of every word of Shiver or Green Eyes. And I'm not the only one who thinks that. You may think they still do that, but they do it for a completely different audience now.

Have you paid attention to Chris when he sings Amazing Day or Everglow live? He really concentrates on every word and emotion in those songs (although you have to empty the mind / emotional distraction to feel it)... The other songs are more music and less lyrics (I feel) although CM still puts in a quite a lot of effort for Up&Up. As for the other band members, I've never seen them enjoy the prominence / limelight on-stage as much... In their prominent parts, they are now more willing to "show off" a bit - I interpret that as them "feeling it", although it is more reflective of their state of mind and feelings, than them trying to move us with the sound...

They have changed there... with this album (and even GS), they have found themselves and feel more confident... there is less "trying to please" as they used to do, as opposed to inviting people to join them for the musical experience that they have created (and which they enjoy themselves)... It may lose them fans (particularly as they have always tried to please), but I guess maybe they think "we lose fans with each new sound anyway"...

Does this make AHFOD the best / worst Coldplay album ever? I guess it depends on how much weight you put into the factors above... From a purely musical perspective it is probably not the most inspired, but as the end-product of a process, I give it top marks! It's like the musical version of Jamie Oliver (sorry if anyone cringed)... celebrating and nurturing relationships, wholesome roots, crowd-pleasing and lots of flavour. Then again, I might be totally over-reaching with the Jamie Oliver comment :p

I suppose I should clarify that I 100% don't mind if the guys decide to make a pop-inspired record, as long as it's good pop. Of course, I'll pick a rock-inspired album over a pop-inspired one any day of the week, but I realize Coldplay can't be expected to stay cooped up within one genre forever :P

The problem I have is that they're being inspired by the low-hanging fruit of pop--the Top 40s--which have never and will never have anything insightful to say other than showing future generations how much we lionize partying culture. I have full confidence that the guys could turn this around and make something truly awesome with it, but they really haven't. Except for Jonny's riff, Adventure of a Lifetime could have been written by any old pop artist; the same goes for half the songs on AHFoD (looking at you, X Marks the Spot). I really hope that if Coldplay continues in this pop vein, they learn that there are a whole lot of people who enjoy "pop" that's outside of the Top 40, or, at the very least, do something that doesn't sound quite so Top 40 itself.

Granted, this will all become irrelevant when Coldplay does a 180 and their next album is inspired by Johnny Cash (please let this happen) :P

• Like 2

Guest kmm1482
Have you paid attention to Chris when he sings Amazing Day or Everglow live? He really concentrates on every word and emotion in those songs (although you have to empty the mind / emotional distraction to feel it)... The other songs are more music and less lyrics (I feel) although CM still puts in a quite a lot of effort for Up&Up. As for the other band members, I've never seen them enjoy the prominence / limelight on-stage as much... In their prominent parts, they are now more willing to "show off" a bit - I interpret that as them "feeling it", although it is more reflective of their state of mind and feelings, than them trying to move us with the sound...

They have changed there... with this album (and even GS), they have found themselves and feel more confident... there is less "trying to please" as they used to do, as opposed to inviting people to join them for the musical experience that they have created (and which they enjoy themselves)... It may lose them fans (particularly as they have always tried to please), but I guess maybe they think "we lose fans with each new sound anyway"...

Sorry, you can argue for it all you want, I don't see it or feel it at all anymore.

This.

You can rationalize all the reasons in the world why the band are putting out the musical output that they are: They're happier, They have families, They're older, They're trying to stay current blah blah blah it still doesn't excuse the fact that the music is terrible.

You can still make "happy" music while maintaining your artistic integrity (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/(What's_the_Story)_Morning_Glory?)

You can still make a "pop" record without losing your artistic integrity (see MGMT, Foster the People, M83, Florence + The Machine, Coldplay (pre 2009) etc. etc.)

• Like 3

I suppose I should clarify that I 100% don't mind if the guys decide to make a pop-inspired record, as long as it's good pop. Of course, I'll pick a rock-inspired album over a pop-inspired one any day of the week, but I realize Coldplay can't be expected to stay cooped up within one genre forever :p

The problem I have is that they're being inspired by the low-hanging fruit of pop--the Top 40s--which have never and will never have anything insightful to say other than showing future generations how much we lionize partying culture. I have full confidence that the guys could turn this around and make something truly awesome with it, but they really haven't. Except for Jonny's riff, Adventure of a Lifetime could have been written by any old pop artist; the same goes for half the songs on AHFoD (looking at you, X Marks the Spot). I really hope that if Coldplay continues in this pop vein, they learn that there are a whole lot of people who enjoy "pop" that's outside of the Top 40, or, at the very least, do something that doesn't sound quite so Top 40 itself.

Granted, this will all become irrelevant when Coldplay does a 180 and their next album is inspired by Johnny Cash (please let this happen) :p

I can't choose between an inspired rock record and an inspired pop record. Since they're both musically and artistically worth I will never say that the rock one is superior because it's rock, it may be that the pop one is better, it depends on how much the record have a good impact on my taste and my soul.

The fact is that Coldplay can even make a deep house album if it's inspired and inspiring, but with MX and AHFOD they didn't achieve to do it (GS only partially imo).

That's why they lost their perfectionism: if you listen to one of their first 4 albums and EPs and bsides or unreleased songs you can feel that sense of "completeness", that music-driven sense of emotional impact that have always been their distinctive mark. Now they almost completely lost that, and you can feel it by the messy production and the fillers and the halfway abandoned development of their latest outputs.

For example, I pick one of the most hated newplay songs around here: Paradise.

When I listen to the first part of the song (until the para-para-paradise comes) I'm quite glad to hear it, then it feels like they didn't know how to build a great bridge and ending to the song and they start repeating the same thing over and over again for 2 minutes, with a silly filler choir and a slightly monochrome guitar riff that fails to sustain the general sound.

If that sing was composed in 2009 they would have worked at least other 2 months on it to make it "perfect", instead Chris tried only to emulate Lady Gaga because his daughter loved Poker Face at the time. C'mon guys....

• Like 1

I can't choose between an inspired rock record and an inspired pop record. Since they're both musically and artistically worth I will never say that the rock one is superior because it's rock, it may be that the pop one is better, it depends on how much the record have a good impact on my taste and my soul.

The fact is that Coldplay can even make a deep house album if it's inspired and inspiring, but with MX and AHFOD they didn't achieve to do it (GS only partially imo).

That's why they lost their perfectionism: if you listen to one of their first 4 albums and EPs and bsides or unreleased songs you can feel that sense of "completeness", that music-driven sense of emotional impact that have always been their distinctive mark. Now they almost completely lost that, and you can feel it by the messy production and the fillers and the halfway abandoned development of their latest outputs.

For example, I pick one of the most hated newplay songs around here: Paradise.

When I listen to the first part of the song (until the para-para-paradise comes) I'm quite glad to hear it, then it feels like they didn't know how to build a great bridge and ending to the song and they start repeating the same thing over and over again for 2 minutes, with a silly filler choir and a slightly monochrome guitar riff that fails to sustain the general sound.

If that sing was composed in 2009 they would have worked at least other 2 months on it to make it "perfect", instead Chris tried only to emulate Lady Gaga because his daughter loved Poker Face at the time. C'mon guys....

Oh I agree with your rock/pop statement, it's just that as far as sound goes, I personally prefer a more rocky sound (for instance, I find One I Love better than Lost! because it has those great rock elements whereas Lost! is more hip-hopish). There's nothing inherently better about rock!

I think a really blatant example of this "unfinished" sound is at the end of Adventure of a Lifetime. Like, what, you're just going to tack on a minute of "whoohoos" and call it good? You could have brought back Jonny's riff and done a full-band jam-out (like I thought was going to happen after Will's drums came in at the end of the teaser snippet). Same goes for Up&Up--I still love the song, but there are several choruses in a row where nothing changes. At least bring back the piano for one of them? Build it up from just Chris singing, to the full band, to the whole choir? It's like they recorded the final chorus once and just spliced it in for all of them. Maybe this wouldn't have been as obvious if the live version didn't do all these things better?

I think Chris has thought "how do we stay relevant and fresh". This is why were getting such a mix of genre of songs and Stargate production, however the phrase "you can't polish a turd" springs to mind, the tunes aren't there and all the production, special guests and pop sounding stuff isnt going to hide that. I also think Chris is very misguided when it comes to the direction he's taking, he's taking a route into radio friendly background music, a million miles away from the interesting and complex melodies he used to write, the new songs sound like they've came from a team of songwriters writing for 1D and I don't think they'd be out of place on a 1D album. The jumping around and crotch grabbing I could live with if the songs were actually worth sitting through the cringe of the stage performance.

Sent from my Nexus 6P