✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

That's not what I meant at all. I'm saying it's quite ironic for them to say that there's nowhere artistically to go in rock while their artistry is in steep decline and current day pop music is banal, unoriginal and generic.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but it did seem like you were saying something else...:) probably because of how you used the word conveniant. I guess I was being a little bit too defensive about things.

And the actual reason I came back to that thread now was to tell you that I have just watched this, and it broke my (Coldplayer) heart.

Maybe we should start a flashmob in their fb page..."Hey Coldplay, we found your soul in this video on Youtube. If you are interested in getting it back just ask us. sincerely yours your Fans."

• Like 1

There are still many positive things we could say about the band today but the biggest flaw is, in my opinion, their (apparent or not) willingness to please everybody in the music world.

I don't know if they are persuaded by the sentence "Rock music has nowhere left to go": we coud say the same thing for every kind of music today. They'd be more believable if they produced a whole album made out of jazzy/classical/fusion songs.

• Like 1

Unfortunately some of the arguments about the new fans cannot be neatly summed up to include the old fans... Look at the ones who joined up here, before say 2005... most of us are a bit less extreme with our views on the band. I think we can acknowledge some aspects are not the best lately, but then given the number of changes this band has done, we usually try and look for the positives. Also, I think some of us genuinely do enjoy the music in a different capacity

Personally I don't listen to the new album and completely hate it, i just I hear so many flaws, so much laziness and so much that has been done before. It just sounds like the mass produced, radio friendly stuff I hear on the radio in the background all day that I've got no interest in listening to after a couple of listens.

What brought me into Coldplay was the intelligence in the songwriting, the distinctive chord progressions and great melodies. Most of this has been replaced by music that is lacking in anything interesting and utterly generic . As I said, it's perfectly listenable just totally bland and uninteresting.

I also don't buy into the experimentation nonsense Chris comes out with, he's not experimenting at all but covering up poor songwriting with production and cheap gimmicks.

• Like 1

Surely Amazing Day has the most clichéd melody ever written? It's like Coldplay trying hard to do a Coldplay song. It's just terrible.

Lol and yeah I agree. But seriously though Everglow kinda sounds like it could be in High School Musical or something like that.

New Radiohead album and full tour this coming year!!

I'm pretty hyped up for that.

• Like 1

Or, they are making pop music because they truly felt that that rock music had nowhere to go. Instead of them making pop music and being like "Well... what do we say to our fans? I know! Let's say rock is dead to justify our turn to pop!" That's not what happened. Don't make it seem like it is. Why am I here anyway, Bye.

True, we have to see from their side as well and consider all possibilities as to why they took that turn. What if they did because they knew it would screw around with us? Sort of like a "f**k you" to all the critics and the harsh world (us). They knew this would happen and they knew what they were getting into. Maybe they are trying to break the hierarchy of genres that music is set upon.

*As much as I like to bash them and make fun of them I tend to be more neutral and I do have the ability to tolerate SOME of their new things.

True, we have to see from their side as well and consider all possibilities as to why they took that turn. What if they did because they knew it would screw around with us? Sort of like a "f**k you" to all the critics and the harsh world (us). They knew this would happen and they knew what they were getting into. Maybe they are trying to break the hierarchy of genres that music is set upon.

*As much as I like to bash them and make fun of them I tend to be more neutral and I do have the ability to tolerate SOME of their new things.

I don't think Chris is doing it because he's trying to break stereotypes of genres or saying "fuck you" to critics, I really think he's just misguided and the LA lifestyle has gone to his head. At the end of the day, he's probably now surrounded by "yes men" and he's hanging out with Beyonce and Justin Bieber and saying that Justin Bieber is good music, it's WTF stuff. He's lost his direction of what good music is and is being influenced by the lower echelons of chart music that won't be remember after 5 years.

I don't think the rest of the band are into it either, no way is Will for example sitting thinking "this is great" I don't even think Jonny Is thinking it, but at the end of the day Chris writes the songs.

• Like 1

If you want Coldplay to sound like Radiohead, listen to Radiohead... :p

I only want them to sound original and less generic than this

This I agree with. I mean I enjoy their music now and I'm not gunna hate on them, but yeah less generic would be pretty nice.

The only thing that bugs me about you guys is the sheer amount of hate you tend to produce. I in a way agree with your opinions, but I think having a more civilized conversation without putting people down would be great :)

• Like 1

This I agree with. I mean I enjoy their music now and I'm not gunna hate on them, but yeah less generic would be pretty nice.

The only thing that bugs me about you guys is the sheer amount of hate you tend to produce. I in a way agree with your opinions, but I think having a more civilized conversation without putting people down would be great :)

I think a lot of us are quite angry at Chris' apparent denial of what made Coldplay originally great and change of direction into bland music. I feel very disenfranchised by the band, the seemingly amalgamation of the vapid LA culture and pop music scene into his songwriting and I'm very annoyed about how they seem to have purposely thrown away great interesting music for such bland chart fodder. I can't think of any band in history that have taken such a turn for the worst.

• Like 3

So I'm an oldplayer by most standards, I love the band's earlier work and actually have barely listened to the last 3 albums.

When I first heard ETIAW I felt the same when I saw my highschool crush dancing with some jerk

But, If Im like "Aww man I wish she was still into smart handsome sophisticated guys like me" I'd be an incredible douche.

If they work together, let them be

same goes for the band. Yes it is awesome talking about their older stuff, and share some lesser known b-side trivia, whatever, but this has a whole critical/cynical taste to it.

Even though I think "oldplayers" have a bigger chance of being objectively right, claiming that the bad "should do X" or "Messed up Y" is, I dare say it, pathetic, and counter to everything that's great about a whole bunch of fans being together in the first place.

• Like 1

I think you'll find the only people who are putting people down have been the new players. Someone told B35 to shut the f up. And I've been told how I should word and voice my opinion. However, it's perfectly fine for the new players to voice their opinions. It's all getting a bit crazy.

• Like 2

I would like to thank you guys for making this thread. I love the new album, I love how the boys have branched out and are trying something new. Change doesn't have to be bad. BUT you can never forget where you came from, or how you started. It's great to see dedication on all fronts heading in every possible direction. This thread reminded me to go back and work on some older songs and lyrics I wrote a few years back as well as write new material inspired by the first 4 albums. And I have to say, I love it just as much as new songs and lyrics inspired by MX/GS/AHFOD and everything else out there. Personally, it's reminded me what you can do with just a voice, a guitar and a head full of dreams haha.

• Like 1

I think you'll find the only people who are putting people down have been the new players. Someone told B35 to shut the f up. And I've been told how I should word and voice my opinion. However, it's perfectly fine for the new players to voice their opinions. It's all getting a bit crazy.

Well yeah I suppose, I think it's all just a big barrage of general disagreement. Which kinda sucks

Guest kmm1482

I've tended to stay off the general review threads. The "Everglow is a masterpiece! AFHOD is my favorite Coldplay album" etc. etc. for that reason. They're going to like what they like. This thread is really the only place we have to gush over the earlier works and yet we still have people drop by with hostility and off-putting remarks.

Do a lot of Coldplayers listen to other music besides Coldplay? I read a lot of very, very strange comments in some of the thread which are mad. I get the feeling a lot haven't listened to much music in their lives.

Do a lot of Coldplayers listen to other music besides Coldplay? I read a lot of very, very strange comments in some of the thread which are mad. I get the feeling a lot haven't listened to much music in their lives.

I'm pretty sure *everyone* loves something else besides Coldplay, but Coldplay could just be their "main" music; although I still feel that some Coldplayers don't listen to a lot.

I can't answer for everyone, but us Oldplayers have this thread ;)

http://coldplaying.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-ultimate-oldplayers-music-thread-music-that-oldplayers-will-like.105369/

Would that surprise you? They are after all fans of the band, not necessarily the whole music world. Coldplay aren't generally considered to be the most technically challenging band - they are technically good, but were never as seriously brilliant like Radiohead or Muse, so fans may well tend to listen to CP mainly and not explore other music that much. Idk but the music this band puts out seems to feed an obsessiveness... probably more so than a lot of other bands. Put that together with the emotionality of their music, you will get emotional + somewhat obsessed fans, quite possibly with skewed views. That includes the Oldplayers, Newplayers, and any other Coldplayers that really have been listening to and putting an emotional investment into this band's music. That's why so much gushing, and hate about this band... we all feel very emotional and passionate about the band, and that pushes emotional buttons when other people disagree with what we feel - I think a lot of us feel invalidated when other people put forward opinions in a more personal way that are in opposition to how we feel about them. That's why with Coldplay forums it may be better to put things in a less personal way to keep the peace (I guess, that may also mean on the Oldplayer's behalf, that they would like less gushing from people who love the new stuff, right?)

• Like 1

I'm really interested on trading this thread,because I agree in many things and because here's where people talk about their best works...

However I just want to ask a thing here in this topic,even if I don't dislike the new Lp (i think that few songs are really valid,expecially live),due to what I read about latest Chris's interviews where che speaks about doing rock...We all know that Chris isn't always serious and that some news don't say everything what he mean in a correct way,but for you,after this album, do you think that they'll do something different,new, but also with an 'old' sound or not?(songs like moving to mars,atlas and ghost story for me are the proof that if they want they still can do song with the old style)...or at least,is Chris changed so much in these years that he won't never consider to go back to his roots in some way?

Hope I've been clear this time...

Btw,i think that Clocks live in Toronto 2006 is the best version they made so far :) ...at least,all this concert was amazing :D

Would that surprise you? They are after all fans of the band, not necessarily the whole music world. Coldplay aren't generally considered to be the most technically challenging band - they are technically good, but were never as seriously brilliant like Radiohead or Muse, so fans may well tend to listen to CP mainly and not explore other music that much. Idk but the music this band puts out seems to feed an obsessiveness... probably more so than a lot of other bands. Put that together with the emotionality of their music, you will get emotional + somewhat obsessed fans, quite possibly with skewed views. That includes the Oldplayers, Newplayers, and any other Coldplayers that really have been listening to and putting an emotional investment into this band's music. That's why so much gushing, and hate about this band... we all feel very emotional and passionate about the band, and that pushes emotional buttons when other people disagree with what we feel - I think a lot of us feel invalidated when other people put forward opinions in a more personal way that are in opposition to how we feel about them. That's why with Coldplay forums it may be better to put things in a less personal way to keep the peace (I guess, that may also mean on the Oldplayer's behalf, that they would like less gushing from people who love the new stuff, right?)

Not that I'm saying my music taste is perfect, far from it but over the years I've went out and listened to music from Coldplay to U2 to The Jam to Oasis to Bob Marley to The Beach Boys to David Bowie to Muse to ABBA to Guns N Roses to Damien Rice and so on and so on. I've never stuck to one band in particular or one genre of music. I can't understand it that some Coldplayers have such a narrow field of musical vision that they think AHFOD is "the best album ever" etc, it makes me think "have you actually listened to many albums". As I said I'm far from perfect in my musical taste, but I've just heard so much more that sounds interesting and varied than the blandness I hear on AHFOD and it's a blandness I didn't hear in their earlier work.

I'm really interested on trading this thread,because I agree in many things and because here's where people talk about their best works...

However I just want to ask a thing here in this topic,even if I don't dislike the new Lp (i think that few songs are really valid,expecially live),due to what I read about latest Chris's interviews where che speaks about doing rock...We all know that Chris isn't always serious and that some news don't say everything what he mean in a correct way,but for you,after this album, do you think that they'll do something different,new, but also with an 'old' sound or not?(songs like moving to mars,atlas and ghost story for me are the proof that if they want they still can do song with the old style)...or at least,is Chris changed so much in these years that he won't never consider to go back to his roots in some way?

Hope I've been clear this time...

Btw,i think that Clocks live in Toronto 2006 is the best version they made so far :) ...at least,all this concert was amazing :D

Welcome to the thread !

I think Chris has changed a lot and they are unlikely to return to their roots anytime soon. By that I mean, within the next 20 years. They may change and evolve again as they grow older but it will take a long time till we see something notably different. Since the band doesn't like to revisit sounds and styles of the past, it's unlikely they will go completely back to the roots but who knows if we won't get something rockier in the far future (if they still exist as a band then).

Idk but the music this band puts out seems to feed an obsessiveness... probably more so than a lot of other bands. Put that together with the emotionality of their music, you will get emotional + somewhat obsessed fans

For proof of this look at the difference between a thread on r/Coldplay and Coldplaying.com :D