✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

===The ultimate Oldplaying Thread===S, BS, TBR, P, AROBTTH, X&Y, VLV, PM===

I ran away

Thanks fpr inviting me into the thread. When I listened to the new album last week my first thought which came to my mind was..."it's must be Chris Martin's first solo album". Honestly, there is no point of Will Champion being in the band anymore. *Provocative Speaking...

Where are real drums? Especially, I'm missing the Hi-Hat...there is no! My critics has nothing to do with my wish to get back AROBTTH. I'm also the opinion that the first three albums had the same style but each with some new elements in it. In addition, the new album has nothing to do with breaking boundaries. They mentioned in an interview that they don't give a shi* about other opinions and they just want to have fun in the studio... I hope other band members are individuals and don't want to have electronic equipment for the next album ...I mean all those crazy things which have grown since MX. If anybody does not know what I mean, please watch back and forth and the grammy speech of Dave Grohl.

[MEDIA=dailymotion]xomnj5[/MEDIA]

I would say I'm an amateur when it comes to making music and I don't say the new album is just bad...but I don't like their development. I would love the next album to be like BRNS "My Head is into you"

[MEDIA=spotify]path=track%2F4ROMzzLAszkA3fnxVIv1TM[/MEDIA]

...probably it will never happen, but I'm still hoping...a straight forward instrumental rock/pop album. In addition I got the impression the last three albums where similar...so why not turn back to something good. If they will continue their path with some weird collaborations, no drums and plastic sounds I would be very disappointed...unfortunately they reached a level were there can sell anything...(I still don't find the new album the worst album ever)...please just have a look why they didn't get any Grammy for their last albums

...just take your time and come back great...

Sorry, just have to correct a couple of misconceptions...

1) It is NOT Chris Martin all over the place... where have your ears gone? Don't you hear J,W, and G all over in this album? Are we even listening to the same album... To me, it has the most prominent Guy and Will lines in any of their albums... Sure, for Will it is not in his usual style / sound, but the percussion is just tops in this one - just the variety of sounds, and beats... Do you not hear it?

- AHFOD: Guy's disco line + Will's solidly melded drums + Jonny going crazy in the background with his guitar throughout

- Birds: Will starts off this one... Then Jonny's guitar, then add on Guy's bass

- HFTW: That R&B / whatever beat that so overshadows the whole song... Guess who? Will! I think it is a lovely percussion section / beat! I find it funny that so many people seem to ignore that he came up with (and plays) that beat

- Everglow: this one is the most CM solo sounding given the prominence of his piano... Will and Guy just sleep walk through this one :) Jonny still has a few good lines though. And the interlude before the 2nd verse has everyone in it...

- AOAL: Guy's disco bassline + Will's relaxed drumming (lots of hi-hats here). And Jonny is busy and quite prominent throughout

- Fun: See Everglow, just replace the piano with Jonny's guitar + Tove Lo. There are also some quiet moments with just single guitar, simple synths + Will's drumming (albeit mostly electronic sounding). There's even some bars with just Chris + Will's drums

- Army of One: Listen to that hard-hitting snap of Will's off-beats... Whole Song!

- XMTS: The most hated song (by most in the album) - I love it just because of the sheer variety of percussive sounds on this one... Trap sounds (I'm sure that's Will, not production), the background hip-hop / R&B beat - it is just so epic, then Will mixes it up with just one variation after another - it skitters everywhere... If it was a pure drum track / more stripped down electronically as a song, people would almost call it RH (in their Kid A/Amnesiac etc mode). But coz it's more mainstream and catchy, and sounds that way, it gets hung out to dry... Well, give me catchy and inventive music anytime (as opposed to alienating + inventive)... Jonny also does some lovely dirty guitar sounds in the 2nd verse onwards...

- Amazing Day: It's very orchestral / classical in it's execution... Everyone is taking utmost care in how their own parts / instruments produce the sound... It's both emotional and quite controlled / restrained at the same time (apart from the climax bits with Chris squeezing every bit out of his voice accompanied by Jonny's wailing guitar)

- Up&Up: the early electronic drum beats give it variety so there is a change in the drum sounds through the 2nd half of the song when the normal drums come on...

Gosh, people are funny! Will tries to change it up with electronic drums - complaints about the electronic drums AND that there is not enough Will... Geez, what does this guy have to do to get heard??? :rolleyes: Granted you may not like it, but this is his way of putting his stamp on the sound - changing his instruments (people noticed obviously, but complained), changing his beats (see HFTW, XMTS) - people complained, some even call it the worst thing the band have put out (each to their own), and if anyone even bothered to listen.. those songs with the R&B / hip-hop vibe have so much percussion going on it is not funny... Unlike his previous work (I like those too, just that these are different and new sounds from Will), you can actually really listen and dig in to each stroke, rather than a wall of crashing drums/hi-hats... The most groovy and catchy beats by a long mile... that's all Will. And he does not merely hit repeat with the beats... they are carefully constructed - listen to the variety (try tapping along to a fixed beat and you'll appreciate how much it actually changes).

And don't get me started on how prominent Guy and Jonny are on this one... I'm sure plenty of others have already pointed out this!

• Like 2

Sorry, just have to correct a couple of misconceptions...

1) It is NOT Chris Martin all over the place... where have your ears gone? Don't you hear J,W, and G all over in this album? Are we even listening to the same album... To me, it has the most prominent Guy and Will lines in any of their albums... Sure, for Will it is not in his usual style / sound, but the percussion is just tops in this one - just the variety of sounds, and beats... Do you not hear it?

- AHFOD: Guy's disco line + Will's solidly melded drums + Jonny going crazy in the background with his guitar throughout

- Birds: Will starts off this one... Then Jonny's guitar, then add on Guy's bass

- HFTW: That R&B / whatever beat that so overshadows the whole song... Guess who? Will! I think it is a lovely percussion section / beat! I find it funny that so many people seem to ignore that he came up with (and plays) that beat

- Everglow: this one is the most CM solo sounding given the prominence of his piano... Will and Guy just sleep walk through this one :) Jonny still has a few good lines though. And the interlude before the 2nd verse has everyone in it...

- AOAL: Guy's disco bassline + Will's relaxed drumming (lots of hi-hats here). And Jonny is busy and quite prominent throughout

- Fun: See Everglow, just replace the piano with Jonny's guitar + Tove Lo. There are also some quiet moments with just single guitar, simple synths + Will's drumming (albeit mostly electronic sounding). There's even some bars with just Chris + Will's drums

- Army of One: Listen to that hard-hitting snap of Will's off-beats... Whole Song!

- XMTS: The most hated song (by most in the album) - I love it just because of the sheer variety of percussive sounds on this one... Trap sounds (I'm sure that's Will, not production), the background hip-hop / R&B beat - it is just so epic, then Will mixes it up with just one variation after another - it skitters everywhere... If it was a pure drum track / more stripped down electronically as a song, people would almost call it RH (in their Kid A/Amnesiac etc mode). But coz it's more mainstream and catchy, and sounds that way, it gets hung out to dry... Well, give me catchy and inventive music anytime (as opposed to alienating + inventive)... Jonny also does some lovely dirty guitar sounds in the 2nd verse onwards...

- Amazing Day: It's very orchestral / classical in it's execution... Everyone is taking utmost care in how their own parts / instruments produce the sound... It's both emotional and quite controlled / restrained at the same time (apart from the climax bits with Chris squeezing every bit out of his voice accompanied by Jonny's wailing guitar)

- Up&Up: the early electronic drum beats give it variety so there is a change in the drum sounds through the 2nd half of the song when the normal drums come on...

Gosh, people are funny! Will tries to change it up with electronic drums - complaints about the electronic drums AND that there is not enough Will... Geez, what does this guy have to do to get heard??? :rolleyes: Granted you may not like it, but this is his way of putting his stamp on the sound - changing his instruments (people noticed obviously, but complained), changing his beats (see HFTW, XMTS) - people complained, some even call it the worst thing the band have put out (each to their own), and if anyone even bothered to listen.. those songs with the R&B / hip-hop vibe have so much percussion going on it is not funny... Unlike his previous work (I like those too, just that these are different and new sounds from Will), you can actually really listen and dig in to each stroke, rather than a wall of crashing drums/hi-hats... The most groovy and catchy beats by a long mile... that's all Will. And he does not merely hit repeat with the beats... they are carefully constructed - listen to the variety (try tapping along to a fixed beat and you'll appreciate how much it actually changes).

And don't get me started on how prominent Guy and Jonny are on this one... I'm sure plenty of others have already pointed out this!

I think Will has used electronic drums since MX more than enough. This is nothing new to me...in general I don't like them on every track on a coldplay album since years. Furthermore...one song with hi-hats? Are you kidding me...is this enough..I didn't even recognize it...As a apology I need to say that I had enough after listing to the album 6 times. Anyway I will do it in the near future...I just have the CD in my car and this album is not worthy to get up from my sofa.

In my point of view Will would not have anything against a drum set on a stage which he can actually use.

I didn't want to say the album is crap...I'm just saying they don't deserve a grammy this year. You forgot to see all my other points about...I got the impression it's a solo album by the lead singer. Maybe they need to have more arguments about progress like in the past.

Guest kmm1482
"Chris said he needed to leave the Studio for a while to let the boys record on their own...

I thought that was for Viva or MX. Eno made him do it

If AHFOD has done anything it's given me a new found appreciation for MX!

AHFOD makes MX look like VLVODAAHF.

Was somewhat absent in the last days so haven't looked through all the posts yet, but this comment coming from The Adversary sounds disturbing ! :D

Quote from Will "Stargate are brilliant at finding what’s important in a piece of music and letting everything else sit back"

Oh yes, of course.

During the mixing of Up&Up:

Tor: Let's remove the piano

Chris: What? Why would we do that. It's like the most prominent instrument in the song.

Tor: Nah, trust me. I know more about the pop world than you do. Just keep a little left.

During mixing of Army Of One:

Chris: This song doesn't seem long enough. What should we do?

Tor: Let's add this cool hidden hip-hop track with crappy lyrics to it so that the length is longer.

Chris: I don't know. Our fanbase might hate us...

Tor: We also want you to call it you're favorite track from the album on some interview...

Chris: What??? How bout Birds, AHFOD, Or Up&U...

Tor: [iNTERRUPTS] Do it or we're not working with you.

Chris: Okay... Okay, we'll do it. Just calm down..

• Like 2

RIP Coldplay, I've really no interest in them anymore.

Well, but outside this cosy place called the Oldplaying thread people will jump at you for that and tell you that Coldplay haven't changed after all ! Honestly, everyone who postulates that should watch this for example

and then compare it to the current stuff !

• Like 2

During the mixing of Up&Up:

Tor: Let's remove the piano

Chris: What? Why would we do that. It's like the most prominent instrument in the song.

Tor: Nah, trust me. I know more about the pop world than you do. Just keep a little left.

During mixing of Army Of One:

Chris: This song doesn't seem long enough. What should we do?

Tor: Let's add this cool hidden hip-hop track with crappy lyrics to it so that the length is longer.

Chris: I don't know. Our fanbase might hate us...

Tor: We also want you to call it you're favorite track from the album on some interview...

Chris: What??? How bout Birds, AHFOD, Or Up&U...

Tor: [iNTERRUPTS] Do it or we're not working with you.

Chris: Okay... Okay, we'll do it. Just calm down..

You're a bit naive to think the main downfall or reason why many of us don't like the direction they took with AHFOD is because of Stargate. It was obviously a decision the whole band made to choose who produces them and how songs sound and end up on the album.