✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Amazing Day

@AwardChris

Guest diogo_sg
That's true, a good song does not need a guitar riff or solo. I was responding to a comment which said that the lack of distinctive lead guitar work in GS was overcome in this song.

I simply don't get all this hate! It's a Coldplay song that "sounds like Coldplay", if you know what I mean (though I don't agree with this Oldplay/Newplay thing). It is Coldplay.

Amazing Day has such a remarkable athmosphere. That ending is powerful. Not MX-powerful, but what-I-hope-AHFOD-will-be-powerful.

Guest diogo_sg
People are not complaining that we got a new song. We criticize the musical direction in which one of our favourite bands is heading.

I didn't say people were complaining about getting a new song. I said people were complaining about getting a guitar riff, which is something utterly weird!

About the musical direction: do you think the sound of this song is bad?

I mean, it is definitely not pop, so what do you mean by "the musical direction in which one of our favourite bands is heading"?

I simply don't get all this hate! It's a Coldplay song that "sounds like Coldplay", if you know what I mean (though I don't agree with this Oldplay/Newplay thing). It is Coldplay.

Amazing Day has such a remarkable athmosphere. That ending is powerful. Not MX-powerful, but what-I-hope-AHFOD-will-be-powerful.

Like Miracles it's boring, bland (bordering on Christian rock?!) commercial pop song, with generic, cliche lyrics that ride the wave between sappy and flat out ridiculous, squeaky clean production (if it sounds like that live just imagine the album version) that makes it ridiculously grating to listen to.

Like stated by Kid A, it's nothing but "lifestyle" music engineered to be played in tesco's and Top 100 playlists. Utterly forgettable and soulless.

People really need to stop asking for oldColdplay back... This is so selfish in a way...

Believe me, if you were part of a band for 15 years, I don't think you'd want to perform the same type of music over and over again.

Imagine if they haven't change anything since parachutes. Fans would go " omg they really need to evolve ! It's the same thing all over again ! "

Of course Coldplay sound like Coldplay, because what they sound like is defined by their musical output. There is still a major stylistic change between the pre-MX and post-MX Coldplay. Some people like their older style better, others prefer the newer one.

It is not literally "hate" that I have for Amazing Day, I just find it bland. People have different taste and that's a good thing :)

Btw, just because it's a Coldplay song doesn't automatically make it good. Even the Beatles have at some point written terrible songs.

People really need to stop asking for oldColdplay back... This is so selfish in a way...

Believe me, if you were part of a band for 15 years, I don't think you'd want to perform the same type of music over and over again.

Imagine if they haven't change anything since parachutes. Fans would go " omg they really need to evolve ! It's the same thing all over again ! "

But don't we all love VLVODAAH? Isn't that experimentation? But that was when Coldplay were still a credible band.

Coldplay dangerously bordering sell-out territory in my book.

Hm, I for one wouldn't. I'd rather have a band keeping the sound I love (in my case especially the AROBTTH/X&Y sound) and creating variants of it over time than to radically change it.

And yes, there's something about the production of Miracles and Amazing Day I don't like. I bet Amazing Day was done by Stargate, too. It sounds so...prefectly pop clean, I don't know how to really describe it. Too clean, too flawless.

I didn't say people were complaining about getting a new song. I said people were complaining about getting a guitar riff, which is something utterly weird!

Believe it or not, some people love the sound of a pronounced lead guitar. So it's just logical that these people would want more Jonny in a new song. It comes down to taste - the same reason some people prefer Led Zeppelin over Maroon 5.

About the musical direction: do you think the sound of this song is bad?

I think the song is uninspired and sounds like any song I hear on the radio that I forget about the minute after.

I mean, it is definitely not pop

That's a good one! :laugh3:

what do you mean by "the musical direction in which one of our favourite bands is heading"?

I mean away from experimental Alternative Rock towards simplistic radio-friendly danceable tunes.

(Please don't take it personally that we have different taste. I don't want to stop you enjoying Amazing Day. It's just my opinion.)

Guest diogo_sg

Here we are: back to the Oldplay vs Newplay vs Bothplay shite again.

I'm gonna step away from this. People listen to what they want and what they like, but saying so much crap and showing so much hate over one new song is too painful to watch.

Coldplay can do whatever they want and they can turn into whatever style they want. People listen to what styles they like.

By the way, don't get me started about the title. Boring, cheesy, cliche, no mystery at all.

2002 A Rush Of Blood To The Head, God Put A Smile Upon Your Face,...

2005 White Shadows, Twisted Logic,...

2008 Death and all his friends, Life In Technicolor, A Spell A Rebel Yell...

...2015 AMAZING DAY

I'm not against evolution. It depends in which direction their sound evolves. For example I would love them to advance their sound in collaboration with Brian Eno and Jon Hopkins maybe towards a sound closer to Radiohead. However I'm totally against collaboration with people like Avicii and Rihanna.

It is not selfish at all to want their music to sound the way you like it. Because that decides whether you buy their music or not and in the end that's how they make their money.

Guest diogo_sg
By the way, don't get me started about the title. Boring, cheesy, cliche, no mystery at all.

2002 A Rush Of Blood To The Head, God Put A Smile Upon Your Face,...

2005 White Shadows, Twisted Logic,...

2008 Death and all his friends, Life In Technicolor, A Spell A Rebel Yell...

...2015 AMAZING DAY

Funny thing: you didn't mention any Parachutes titles. Huh.

I'm gonna step away from this. People listen to what they want and what they like, but saying so much crap and showing so much hate over one new song is too painful to watch.

Well this is a forum dedicated to sharing opinions on Coldplay's music, so I don't see what the problem is. Just because some people don't like the newest song doesn't mean their criticism is "crap" or "hate".

Well this is a forum dedicated to sharing opinions on Coldplay's music, so I don't see what the problem is. Just because some people don't like their newest song doesn't mean their criticism is "crap" or "hate".

I guess you didn't see some of the comments made lol

Here we are: back to the Oldplay vs Newplay vs Bothplay shite again.

Coldplay can do whatever they want and they can turn into whatever style they want. People listen to what styles they like.

I'm sorry but it's absolutely not shite. The music on AROBTTH and Parachutes is not even the same type of music! bands evolving is a natural process, but they do it within their own genres and sub-genres. Listen to Radioheads discography, come back and then we can talk about "experimentation" I'm not going to justify what Coldplay are doing by calling it experimentation anymore.

I don't enjoy pop music. I love Coldplay because they are a rock band. If you like banal, generic shite like Amazing Day and True Love that's fine. But don't insult by trying to say it's just as good as anything on Parachutes and AROBTTH because frankly that's just ridiculous.

Guest diogo_sg
I'm sorry but it's absolutely not shite. The music on AROBTTH and Parachutes is not even the same type of music! bands evolving is a natural process, but they do it within their own genres and sub-genres. Listen to Radioheads discography, come back and then we can talk about "experimentation" I'm not going to justify what Coldplay are doing by calling it experimentation anymore.

I don't enjoy pop music. I love Coldplay because they are a rock band. If you like banal, generic shite like Amazing Day and True Love that's fine. But don't insult by trying to say it's just as good as anything on Parachutes and AROBTTH frankly that's completely ridiculous.

What I find completely ridiculous is the fact that you just said "but don't insult" right after saying "if you like banal, generic shite like Amazing Day and True Love". For someone who likes those two songs (like myself) that is an insult. And I do classify them just as good as Coldplay's first three or four albums. Because, for me, those songs are simply different faces of Coldplay's cube. Whether they're rock, pop, ambient or whatever. Even if they aren't the most original songs, they sound good. That's all that matters to me.

And experimentation is trying new things. They don't necessarily have to be within the same genre. So yes, what Coldplay does is experimentation.

Guest diogo_sg
So this thread became very sad in just 14 hours... :( I actually love the song. And I appreciate everything they do. Besides, we have like one whole album to look forward to. Calm your tits Oldayers.

Same here. But we fans who love all their eras and songs get sad and somewhat insecure when we say we like their latest work. I don't wanna feel that way!

Same here. But we fans who love all their eras and songs get sad and somewhat insecure when we say we like their latest work. I don't wanna feel that way!

I don't really get sad.

If we are the ones who like everything we should feel lucky! As for the album, we'll just have to see what happens.

Coldplay never dissappointed.

Even songs that I hated at first (take Another's Arms) I actually like now!

Guest diogo_sg
I don't, really.

If we are the one who like everything we should feel lucky! As for the album, we'll just have to see what happens.

Coldplay never dissappointed.

Even songs that I hated at first (take Another's Arms) I actually like now!

Well, I do sometimes. But then I think "screw it!" and everything gets okay again.

That happened to me too (with Green Eyes, DLIBYH, What If and a few others).