✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Amazing Day

@AwardChris

I'm an atheist as well, yet I can listen to GPASUYF because "god" can be used as a poetic device, just like elements of Greek mythology (ex: Atlas). But where I draw the line is where there are praises/hymns to the alleged "majesty of god" shit.

Exactly my thinking. As an atheist, it is with a wary eye that I perceive this new-found spirituality of Chris (first the God Is Love Tattoo, and then this song).

I know there were references to his earlier ambiguity about God and belief in Cemeteries of London (I see God come in my garden but I don't know what he said, for my heart it was not open) and Speed of Sound ("some things you have to believe" "some are made and some are sent"). Like GPASUYF, they did not really bother me, because there was at least some ambiguity about it. The Mylo Xyloto Era had an even more strongly religious tone ("UFO - "Lord I don't know which way I am going" and Atlas - "Show me the way, Lord...")

But Amazing Day is actually a positively religious song, which makes me a bit uncomfortable.

It's not just the line "Thanks God...", it is also "Life has a beautiful crazy design". Life has not been designed. It is not a design. Creationism, anyone ?

It's obvious, the lyrics, the vibe of the song fits into GS perfectly, i'm not saying it's a GS throwaway but it sounds like it. The album will entirely different from this song, the new album will be experimental.

On the contrary, you can hear Davide's strings and it has the same soft cheesy feel-good atmosphere like Miracles...it is probably what AHFOD will sound like at least in parts.

What a shit song. Once they were able to create brilliant music pieces like 'Clocks', 'The scientist', 'Yellow', 'Viva la vida' etc. Now al they can make are electronical boring overproduced songs like we already heared on Ghost Stories and of which at least one will return on AHFOD (Amazing day). I am a great fan but this is just sad....

I hope you're right and this song won't appear on AHFOD, but what I'm trying to say is that I'm just sad they can't make some better stuff than this. Maybe it's just not my taste of music, but in my opinion this song and 'Miracles' (their last two songs) are worse than almost every song they had made before.

So bland it physically hurts.

I don't have an issue with the melody itself (and the AAAAHs are actually nice), but I have an issue with the lyrics and again with the production. There was a time when Coldplay could write songs full of hope and not sound like a cheesy Christian soft rock band. Clearly, these times have passed. This song is the companion piece to Miracles. The next song will be called God Is Love and the one after that Praise Thee O Lord.

Don't forget the usual criticisms: there is not enough Jonny. OH WAIT there is. There is not enough Guy. OH WAIT. Will isn't playing "real" drums. OH WAIT.

And as for the lyrics: think about how much better they are than most lyrics on GS. And it isn't actually line after line of cliche. I know they are not entirely original theme wise, but overall I think it's a good song.

I hope we will hear the studio version of this on AHFOD.

Don't forget the usual criticisms: there is not enough Jonny. OH WAIT there is. There is not enough Guy. OH WAIT. Will isn't playing "real" drums. OH WAIT.

And as for the lyrics: think about how much better they are than most lyrics on GS. And it isn't actually line after line of cliche. I know they are not entirely original theme wise, but overall I think it's a good song.

I hope we will hear the studio version of this on AHFOD.

Finally someone who has actually said what was on my mind.

I'm giving this song a few more chances, 'cause I know that a song can grow on someone after the first listen aaaand it's not happening. I can say now that it doesn't remind me so much of Ghost Stories anymore, it feels a lot more MX-esque, some sort of "Always In My Head meets Us Against The World". I don't like the lyrics (and no, they're not better than GS at all), it feels like I've already heard this song thousand times instead of just three time, and when I try to think of it "Always In My Head" still jumps on my mind. Still a 6- out of 10 to me. Generic Coldplay Anthem #43.

Guest diogo_sg

Just because there are atheists who like Coldplay, that doesn't mean the guys can't believe and write songs about God. I'm sure there are plenty of people who believe in Allah and like Coldplay, but I don't see any songs saying such name. A songwriter writes about what he believes and what he feels like it is important to talk about at the moment. Currently, we are trying to create a solution for major global issues (Global Goals), so Chris feels like he should write stuff about hope. And if he believes in God and sees in him hope and love (two things very important, imo) then he writes about God.

I believe in God. I obviously don't think he's and old man who created everything I touch and see (for that, we have the Big Bang and Evolution). But I think "he" is "something" that guides everyone. Maybe, for me, God is hope. He's that feeling we have when we feel like everything's not lost.

I hope you understand what I mean and I'm not meant to be rude in any possible way.

Love, Diogo.

this song feels very safe and very basic, but i dont expect much from coldplay on an artistic level.

I think it's not unrealistic to expect something more sophisticated from Coldplay. If you look at AROBTTH and VLVODAAHF I'd say that there are many songs on these albums that are Art-Rock and are challenging (in Pop-Rock terms) on an artistic level, e.g. 42 or Death and All His Friends.

Don't forget the usual criticisms: there is not enough Jonny. OH WAIT there is.

In my opinion there is by far not enough Jonny for my taste on Amazing Day. He's just supporting the melody line in the background. No recognisable guitar riffs or even a solo.

As for the god-praising lyrics, I don't have a problem with that. I can very well enjoy music that does not conform with my worldview.

Yeah no doubt these are the songs Coldplay is known for but there are far better underrated songs and I think we shouldn't be so quick to jump to a conclusion already. Tbh, I have already forgotten the tune of Amazing Day, probably bc i heard it only once during the live stream but it is beautiful seriously. I remember feeling enthralled while listening to it. Not the song i expected to hear but nevertheless, you cant deny the fact that it's downright beautiful. Shouldn't exactly be calling it a 'shit song', we ought to be open to new ideas and kinds of songs the band brings. They are always so versatile

I'm sorry People, you're right and it's not Really an electronic or overproduced song. I was Just posting this because I was sad I didnt like the song and I was trying to find reasons why. I guess I don't Really like this poppy slow feeling of the song like Ghost stories also had . I think their melodies are not getting close to the beautiful melodies they used to write. Coldplay seem to be heading in a direction I dont like and I am a bit sad about that. With the songs I considered to be better I also meant songs like 'Amsterdam' 'See you soon' 'Gravity' etc.

I'm sorry People, you're right and it's not Really an electronic or overproduced song. I was Just posting this because I was sad I didnt like the song and I was trying to find reasons why. I guess I don't Really like this poppy slow feeling of the song like Ghost stories also had . I think their melodies are not getting close to the beautiful melodies they used to write. Coldplay seem to be heading in a direction I dont like and I am a bit sad about that. With the songs I considered to be better I also meant songs like 'Amsterdam' 'See you soon' 'Gravity' etc.

wow so close minded

she has a great voice, really powerful, she's really talented

Yeah, she's so talented that she can't even write her own songs. I guarantee you, you can go to any music conservatory near you and find more talent there than Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj, Iggy Azalea etc. have combined.

That doesn't mean that anyone shouldn't like their music. You can listen to whatever you want, taste is subjective. But if somebody decides that they won't listen to Ariana Grande because they dislike generic pop music, that is a completely respectable opinion.

Guest diogo_sg
No recognisable guitar riffs or even a solo.

There are so many Coldplay songs without recogbisable guitar riffs and solos. Clocks, DLIBYH, Lovers In Japan, Trouble, What If and Ink come to mind.

Just because there isn't an instantly recognisable guitar, that doesn't mean the song is bad. Besides, Amazing Day does have a recognisable guitar. For me, at least. I'm already stuck with that riff in my head, specially the part after Chris sings 'Amazing day'. Wonderful.

There are so many Coldplay songs without recogbisable guitar riffs and solos. Clocks, DLIBYH, Lovers In Japan, Trouble, What If and Ink come to mind.

Just because there isn't an instantly recognisable guitar, that doesn't mean the song is bad. Besides, Amazing Day does have a recognisable guitar. For me, at least. I'm already stuck with that riff in my head, specially the part after Chris sings 'Amazing day'. Wonderful.

That's true, a good song does not need a guitar riff or solo. I was responding to a comment which said that the lack of distinctive lead guitar work in GS was overcome in this song.

Just because there isn't an instantly recognisable guitar, that doesn't mean the song is bad. Besides, Amazing Day does have a recognisable guitar. For me, at least. I'm already stuck with that riff in my head, specially the part after Chris sings 'Amazing day'. Wonderful

Except all of those songs do have guitar parts which are quite essential to the overall song. Listen to Clocks without the guitar and come back to me.

Music to play and sell at Tescos.

If this is an AHFOD song then I just feel sad to see a band with so much talent and potential spiral slowly into complete mediocrity.

This...

I'll tell you. I have a pretty long tether, but collaborations with Disney princesses is where I draw the line.

What an amazing fall from grace though. From the band who brought you AROBTTH and once did a collaboration with Richard Ashcroft no less!

Coldplay post 2009 are an absolute farce.

Guest diogo_sg
Except all of those songs do have guitar parts which are quite essential to the overall song. Listen to Clocks without the guitar and come back to me.

Alright. Maybe those weren't the best examples. But why can't we enjoy what we have? I mean, it's still Jonny's guitar. It's still recognizable. It's still one hell of a sound. I don't care what the song would sound like if I took off the guitar. We HAVE the guitar, that's all that matters. If we hadn't get it, everyone would be complaining about that. But we do have it and everyone is still complaining! Jeez!

Alright Coldplay, that's enough silence. Please announce either AHFOD properly with a release date and everything or just tell us that Amazing Day will be available as a charity single soon because we, the Coldplayers, demand an explanation! :P