✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Amazing Day

@AwardChris

Please don't. If anything this thread is a victory for free expression. People fundamentally disagree, but by the end we've (sort of) reached an amicable conclusion. Censorship isn't the answer imho.

Also, If I did offend anyone by insulting Amazing Day, I would like to extend the hand of truce. I try to remain composed but sometimes the Irish brashness and sense of humour is released when debating topics of interest and passion ;)

I second this. Seriously... Whilst I think excessive negativity (note, NOT legit criticism) is distasteful, can we please reserve deletions to abusive posts and or trolling?

No one's 'attacking' anybody. It is what it is, an online debate and harsh criticism is sometimes a part of that. Taking criticism as an 'attack' doesn't benefit you in any way. Many people will have strong opinions and all of us being fans, some will disagree majorly.

If a member is provoking another member however or their reply is not beneficial to the discussion, use the report button and we'll take a look at it. The guidelines all apply obviously. Handbags away and carry on the debate :)

Some criticism is okay. If we all love Coldplay then we ought to voice our opinions. I'm all for productive and constructive criticism. But when half the thread is ranting the same thing over and over that's when I start to get annoyed. There's no need to repeat what's already been said to death.

Please don't. If anything this thread is a victory for free expression. People fundamentally disagree, but by the end we've (sort of) reached an amicable conclusion. Censorship isn't the answer imho.

Also, If I did offend anyone by insulting Amazing Day, I would like to extend the hand of truce. I try to remain composed but sometimes the Irish brashness and sense of humour is released when debating topics of interest and passion ;)

Agreed. I love Batman, but I think she's off about this. I for one havent felt attacked thus far.

I'm really digging the lengthy in depth posts from both sides. Shows actual thought went into responses.

For one, I agree with Batman in a way. We should all just calm down and start over. We shouldn't let a live performance of a song that might not even be in it's final version recieve so much emotion and hate. I'm honestly surprised at the massive response in this short a time we've seen. Let's just calm down everyone.

I also like how you put arguments across, Kid A. You are right - in a sense Amazing Day is bland and lacks creativity. Can I point out that this is probably intentional (along with a lot of other decisions this band makes)? I guess we're all arguing about the significance or meaning of these creative decisions (choosing 'safe' and leaving room to breathe is also a decision lol)

Some people interpret it to mean they have 'sold out', or have become a 'tired' band... You may be right, but looking at their track record and background - we all know that can be quite technically capable and creative musicians, I'd say they made a conscious decision to go with the so-called safe sound, which makes the song gentler and more digestible for the masses than it otherwise would be. That would be one way for people to focus on the emotional message of a song (eg through they way it is sung) rather than distracting with technical aspects.

Coming to the actual song performance, you might find it does the emotional home run in the perfection of a studio recording (that is yet to be seen either way). Or the guys might well be 'road-testing' the emotional impact it delivers in concerts - some things eg immediate audience response have to tested to be known... They might well be searching for that 'emotional something' that makes the song stand-out - is the song even a final version? The song may yet come alive when everyone has a sing-a-long live... Lastly don't under-estimate the effect of unfamiliar surroundings and technical glitches on a song that relies as heavily on emotional / performance delivery as Amazing Day - it's not as practiced as Fix You or Yellow, therefore will be harder to 'nail' on performance day, particularly if instruments breakdown or the lead singer is emotionally preoccupied/ not at his best (yes I'm winking at you, Chris :wink3:)

I'd almost stick my neck out and say they made a very brave (or stupid :laugh3:) decision to debut / try out a song at this stage of their album development/ production... They could have played a sure-fire hit (I'm sure they have a few up their sleeve) but chose a slow, simple number instead... That takes guts as it leaves them open to criticism if the performance doesn't deliver for whatever reason.

Exactly. We shouldn't be throwing insult after insult at a song which might not even be in it's final stage yet. Great post!

Thankfully the amount of intelligent and thoughtful posts has raised from yesterday...

Agreed. I love Batman,

Thanks dear :charming:

but I think she's off about this. I for one havent felt attacked thus far.

I'm really digging the lengthy in depth posts from both sides. Shows actual thought went into responses.

I just came in here and people were pretty upset about things being said about them, and then the mood changed pretty quickly into something almost aggressive. You might have not felt attacked so far, but everybody that looked into this thread just saw a big pile of posts of people pointing at each other telling how wrong they are (to put it nicely).

Some people like aggressive discussions (me for example lol) but the general vibe in here was far from anything remotely related to the song Amazing Day itself.

And nobody should be offended when people use "expletives" to describe a song, that's simply their opinion. Don't take anything anyone says to heart, if you do, that's your problem and nobody else's. Nobody should be "hurt" when someone criticizes a song you like. If I were hurt every time someone said that a song I like is shit, I'd have committed suicide long ago. This forum is a place for people to express their opinions, and no opinions are "better" than anyone else's. Everyone should respect the opinions of other users, no matter how "hurt" you may be by them, and nobody should use that as an excuse to attack others.

The other thing is, why do people always like to make judgements of songs when we haven't heard the studio version yet? How do you know that the live version is completely representative of the album recording? How do you know that the album version isn't as poppy as One Direction, or as alternative as Nirvana? We don't, which is why I like to reserve judgment until hearing the studio recording.

I don't take offense at something being called shit... It is a valid opinion to have if someone feels that way. I do however feel we risk hurting the band's feelings and decisions if too many of us get too busy sending up negative opinions and failing to see the positives / be constructive... You can say 'I don't like the song because...' rather than making it personal and calling it 'shit' - the band has feelings too and I know some of our postings get filtered through... How would you feel if you spent months on a project only to get a snide 'x is shit' when you finally allow other people to have a look at it, never mind whether it's half-finished or not... C'mon guys, be more thoughtful to your ​band.

And I totally agree with the second part of your post :D

I just came in here and people were pretty upset about things being said about that, and then the mood changed pretty quickly into something almost aggressive. You might have not felt attacked so far, but everybody that looked into this thread just saw a big pile of posts of people pointing at each other telling how wrong they are (to put it nicely).

So people like aggressive discussions (me for example lol) but the general vibe in here was far from anything remotely related to the song Amazing Day itself.

^ This! We shouldn't let a live performance of a song get everyone mad and arguing and pointing fingers at each other after 24 freaking hours.

OK, I see the same level of aggressiveness from some on both for and against the song sides. Let's all have a civil conversation, being respectful to each other. Afterall, a fan forum is where people come to discuss, and yes, that includes both positive and negative opinions. :-)

Anyway, back to the song, since the piano track was prerecorded and was played on cue even with a broken piano, seems like its a safe bet to say that the song is designed to be sung live with Chris only doing the vocals.

I don't take offense at something being called shit... It is a valid opinion to have if someone feels that way. I do however feel we risk hurting the band's feelings and decisions if too many of us get too busy sending up negative opinions and failing to see the positives / be constructive... You can say 'I don't like the song because...' rather than making it personal and calling it 'shit' - the band has feelings too and I know some of our postings get filtered through... How would you feel if you spent months on a project only to get a snide 'x is shit' when you finally allow other people to have a look at it, never mind whether it's half-finished or not... C'mon guys, be more thoughtful to your ​band.

Thank. You.

No one's 'attacking' anybody. It is what it is, an online debate and harsh criticism is sometimes a part of that. Taking criticism as an 'attack' doesn't benefit you in any way. Many people will have strong opinions and all of us being fans, some will disagree majorly.

If a member is provoking another member however or their reply is not beneficial to the discussion, use the report button and we'll take a look at it. The guidelines all apply obviously. Handbags away and carry on the debate :)

This is why the forum wins. Thanks a bunch for understanding :)

I haven't heard the song yet but just a news story about them releasing a new song called amazing day. Seen the video in the OP, only a few seconds but sounds like a song from ghost stories sigh.

But seriously, why does Chris Martin love these untalented bunch of manufactured pop 'artists'? It's a put off. Loving Ariane grande, one direction, Justin beiber.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing this song

I haven't heard the song yet but just a news story about them releasing a new song called amazing day. Seen the video in the OP, only a few seconds but sounds like a song from ghost stories sigh.

But seriously, why does Chris Martin love these untalented bunch of manufactured pop 'artists'? It's a put off. Loving Ariane grande, one direction, Justin beiber.

Lol, Chris Martin's never ending quest to try to remain young and hip.

Yeah you should give the song a try... I enjoyed it!

I'm fine with Chris liking Ariana Grande etc. I'm fine if they collaborate as well... They're not the best artists in the world either. But I'm still fine with it. Of course I expect more from Coldplay but I'm not afraid to hear a collaboration...

Fair point. And to think in (roughly) the last decade Chris and the band have collaborated / performed with the likes of Brian Eno, Ian McCulloch, Richard Ashcroft, Jon Hopkins and Cat Power et al. I personally felt that POC worked really well but I do find this cozying up to illuminati pop stars quite disconcerting.

I'm not a fan of Ariana Grande, One Direction or Bieber either. But quite frankly, Ariana's singing was decent and so was the song they did. She wasn't singing out of tune and she sounded almost exactly as she does on the studio versions of her songs. I didn't become a Ariana Grande fan all of a sudden, but I was positively surprised by how it turned out.

Also, I'm not sure if he was joking or not, but right before Chris introducerd her he said he asked his kids who they should do a collaboration with. They asked for Ariana Grande, daddy delivered.