✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Amazing Day

@AwardChris

Dare I jump into this piranha pit?

Regarding views on the song:

It's not a perfect 10 song like others are claiming and its not an absolute dud like others are saying either. But it seems like with the past few songs, if it isn't a perfect 10, ppl are grabbing their pitchforks. Srsly, are we expecting Coldplay to produce perfect 10s each and every time? Give me a break....

I can hear the arguments to my statement already: "but jc90, we aren't asking for 10s, just some more creativity!". Okay, I can respect that a little bit more. But I see this song as more creative than some claim it to be. The bass for one is blowing my mind. Compared to the usual 'Coldplay-Wall-of-Sound' technique which we see from Coldplay, i'd see this as creative, 'cause they aren't using that trick in this song. I feel we can argue this day and night, but for now, my feelings are lukewarm to positive towards creativity.

Regarding the use of 'God' in the song:

On my 25+ years on earth, I know that everytime something even remotely religious comes up, ppl are bound to call foul. But really now? "Coldplay are turning into a christian rock group, ohnoessss". I'm not of any particular religion myself, but if someone is, then what business of that is mine? I don't really know nor care if Coldplay is religious or if its bleeding into their work. With that being said, I don't even think it was some secret message to fans to convert to a certain religion. I think it really was just a use of the word 'God' in a purely artistic manner. That's the last i'll be speaking about anything religious on this forum. Nothing good ever comes from it.

Regarding this song as an indication of the fall of Coldplay:

I'm astounded on a daily basis at particular users who remind us every day that Coldplay are losing their touch. We all know who you are. You are different than the other members of oldplay who are genuinely fighting for them versus the ones who are just negative for no reason. If you really feel this way then best of luck to you on another forum. I don't see the value in staying in a place where everyone else is having a great time and you are not. If i'm at a dinner party and i'm not having a good time, I leave! I don't stick around! Simple as that. It's almost like those users are trying to convince everyone to leave the party with them. But just let them (us) be! Let us be idiots who love to listen to terrible songs and praise mediocrity as you guys tell us. We'd rather continue listening to MX and GS then take another rant upon our earholes about how this is the end of times. Dont be that one person at a party not having fun and trying to ruin it for everyone else.

Final views:

Like I said in the very beginning, this isn't a perfect 10, but it isn't a stinker like some are saying. I can list many songs in Coldplay's library that I would call worse than this. But I can also list many songs that are much better. I'd call it a solid 7 whose strong points are instrumentals and most lyrical content. Points are docked for another use of the 'ahh ahh ahhhs' which are quickly becoming another 'trick' the band are to quick to use and, as others have said, its missing something that takes it from a bland song to something that could be a bittt better.

Guys, be excellent to each other. We (well, most of us) still love the band and want the best for them. I guess we just have conflicting views on what is best, but the passion is there.

Of the past 100 or so posts in this thread, this is one of maybe 10 that are worth reading. I'm glad I stayed out of the Newplay vs. Oldplay vs. Allplay war that ensued for the past 10-ish pages.

Anyway, a day after my first listen to Amazing Day, and even as someone who prefers the first four Coldplay albums, I still enjoy the song. I'm fine with the lyrics. They are most certainly not among the best but I enjoy the peaceful mood that they set. There aren't enough of these joyful songs that aren't generic, cliche, commercial, etc.

Regarding the mention of God in the lyrics, it's odd I've never seen this reaction before. There are multiple instances where God is mentioned in lyrics, as well as a couple of minor biblical references, but they don't get the attention that just one God-mentioning lyric in Amazing Day has received. I believe in God and I have no problem with it. I'm not going to attack atheists around here over their opinion regarding religious motifs in lyrics.

Lastly, we all just need to relax. There's a new Coldplay song and if you don't enjoy it then there's no guarantee that the rest of AHFOD will be identical.

Dare I jump into this piranha pit?

Regarding views on the song:

It's not a perfect 10 song like others are claiming and its not an absolute dud like others are saying either. But it seems like with the past few songs, if it isn't a perfect 10, ppl are grabbing their pitchforks. Srsly, are we expecting Coldplay to produce perfect 10s each and every time? Give me a break....

I can hear the arguments to my statement already: "but jc90, we aren't asking for 10s, just some more creativity!". Okay, I can respect that a little bit more. But I see this song as more creative than some claim it to be. The bass for one is blowing my mind. Compared to the usual 'Coldplay-Wall-of-Sound' technique which we see from Coldplay, i'd see this as creative, 'cause they aren't using that trick in this song. I feel we can argue this day and night, but for now, my feelings are lukewarm to positive towards creativity.

Regarding the use of 'God' in the song:

On my 25+ years on earth, I know that everytime something even remotely religious comes up, ppl are bound to call foul. But really now? "Coldplay are turning into a christian rock group, ohnoessss". I'm not of any particular religion myself, but if someone is, then what business of that is mine? I don't really know nor care if Coldplay is religious or if its bleeding into their work. With that being said, I don't even think it was some secret message to fans to convert to a certain religion. I think it really was just a use of the word 'God' in a purely artistic manner. That's the last i'll be speaking about anything religious on this forum. Nothing good ever comes from it.

Regarding this song as an indication of the fall of Coldplay:

I'm astounded on a daily basis at particular users who remind us every day that Coldplay are losing their touch. We all know who you are. You are different than the other members of oldplay who are genuinely fighting for them versus the ones who are just negative for no reason. If you really feel this way then best of luck to you on another forum. I don't see the value in staying in a place where everyone else is having a great time and you are not. If i'm at a dinner party and i'm not having a good time, I leave! I don't stick around! Simple as that. It's almost like those users are trying to convince everyone to leave the party with them. But just let them (us) be! Let us be idiots who love to listen to terrible songs and praise mediocrity as you guys tell us. We'd rather continue listening to MX and GS then take another rant upon our earholes about how this is the end of times. Dont be that one person at a party not having fun and trying to ruin it for everyone else.

Final views:

Like I said in the very beginning, this isn't a perfect 10, but it isn't a stinker like some are saying. I can list many songs in Coldplay's library that I would call worse than this. But I can also list many songs that are much better. I'd call it a solid 7 whose strong points are instrumentals and most lyrical content. Points are docked for another use of the 'ahh ahh ahhhs' which are quickly becoming another 'trick' the band are to quick to use and, as others have said, its missing something that takes it from a bland song to something that could be a bittt better.

Guys, be excellent to each other. We (well, most of us) still love the band and want the best for them. I guess we just have conflicting views on what is best, but the passion is there.

How on earth are you anywhere near positive about the creativity in this song? The lyrics are about eyes and stars, the instrumentation is forgettable and safe, the structure is more predictable than the sunset and the only mildly inspired part is the bassline which is nice at best.

I agree about the God reference but I think you misunderstand the meaning of "Christian Rock" in this context - it means safe, inoffensive and mediocre.

Your argument about people posting about Coldplays decline is so ridiculous as to tempt ignoring it, but I will comment. Contrasting opinions is what makes discussion worthwhile, and no Coldplay fan is under any obligation to like anything the band produces. Suggesting that people who think they are losing their touch are ruining, or trying to ruin the forum experience for others and should leave is utterly contemptible as far as I'm concerned. I don't come here to rejoice in whatever diminishing returns Coldplay is offering us, but to talk and discuss with people I like and respect about a band that's close to my heart.

No one is saying this song is the omen of doom for Coldplay, but rather observing that it's another step in the seeming inescapable spiral Coldplay have been on since Viva. This is a completely respectable opinion and no one such be reprimanded for voicing it.

I respect your views on the song but completely disagree. I'd be interested to hear what you think could have been added or changed to make the song less bland.

How on earth are you anywhere near positive about the creativity in this song? The lyrics are about eyes and stars, the instrumentation is forgettable and safe, the structure is more predictable than the sunset and the only mildly inspired part is the bassline which is nice at best.

I agree about the God reference but I think you misunderstand the meaning of "Christian Rock" in this context - it means safe, inoffensive and mediocre.

Your argument about people posting about Coldplays decline is so ridiculous as to tempt ignoring it, but I will comment. Contrasting opinions is what makes discussion worthwhile, and no Coldplay fan is under any obligation to like anything the band produces. Suggesting that people who think they are losing their touch are ruining, or trying to ruin the forum experience for others and should leave is utterly contemptible as far as I'm concerned. I don't come here to rejoice in whatever diminishing returns Coldplay is offering us, but to talk and discuss with people I like and respect about a band that's close to my heart.

No one is saying this song is the omen of doom for Coldplay, but rather observing that it's another step in the seeming inescapable spiral Coldplay have been on since Viva. This is a completely respectable opinion and no one such be reprimanded for voicing it.

I respect your views on the song but completely disagree. I'd be interested to hear what you think could have been added or changed to make the song less bland.

Regarding creativity. My exact quote was I felt it was lukewarm to positive. I'll try to put it another way. I don't mind the creativity or lack thereof in this song. Lukewarm to positive in my book is around a 60-70% clip if you wanna put a number on it, which again, I am okay with. Again, I think its a bit unreasonable to expect 100% out of the band all the time. But this is more personal taste than something we can objectively argue on about.

I'll skip the Christian Rock debate. Like I said, I'd like to avoid if at all possible.

Regarding Coldplay decline and freedom to express so. I 100% agree with the freedom to express Coldplay's perceived decline. What I have an issue with (and I don't think its ridiculous) is how a poster can say they hate the song (or a more colourful variation of that, 'the song is shite') and not back it up with any tangible arguments for it whatsoever unless begged to. I've been on the other end and criticized Coldplay in other aspects of their craft (their MVs for example). I get fully that not everyone has to like everything that they do. Again, I just ask that ppl explain themselves. To me, providing the evidence is what sets trolling and criticism apart.

Regarding asking users to leave. I answered this with another user earlier but to save you some effort I basically clarified the statement by asking instead why users stay around when the past few eras have provided nothing but disappointment for them. Of course you are free to come and go as you please. I'm just saying personally, were the roles reversed, I would have left a long time ago.

Regarding the bolded part. Actually, I hear it all the time and i'm sorry, but this sounds like pretty much the same thing to me. This song, or Miracles, or ASFOS, or Paradise, or whatever it is, is always pointed at as a sign of the decline of Coldplay. I'm not even quite sure you wrote that as a direct rebuttal towards one of my comments, but I agree with you when you say its a respectable opinion and no one should be scolded for it.

I too respect your views KidA. I hope you know that by now that I find you one of the finer posters on the board despite us being on opposite ends of the spectrum. However, regarding what i'd have done to make the song better, I am without an answer. Although, I would have gone back to a 'wall-of-sound' trick. Though it may been said that they've done it before, I'd take it breakfast, lunch and dinner. I don't mind the lyrics (for the most part). I will say it does lack a...something...that makes me truly excited about the song that I can't put my finger on. That's more a job for the band that it is for me to say.

I'd like to add a few words even though I haven't even heard Amazing Day yet:

There's no need for people to attack each other because of their opinions. Just because someone disagrees with you is no reason to insult them. And nobody should be offended when people use "expletives" to describe a song, that's simply their opinion. Don't take anything anyone says to heart, if you do, that's your problem and nobody else's. Nobody should be "hurt" when someone criticizes a song you like. If I were hurt every time someone said that a song I like is shit, I'd have committed suicide long ago. This forum is a place for people to express their opinions, and no opinions are "better" than anyone else's. Everyone should respect the opinions of other users, no matter how "hurt" you may be by them, and nobody should use that as an excuse to attack others.

The other thing is, why do people always like to make judgements of songs when we haven't heard the studio version yet? How do you know that the live version is completely representative of the album recording? How do you know that the album version isn't as poppy as One Direction, or as alternative as Nirvana? We don't, which is why I like to reserve judgment until hearing the studio recording.

@ttp, actually, I havent really seen users attacking users. Unless you said that as a precautionary thing.

I think by now we all get that some of us like it and some don't. We're all just trying to understand the other side and why they feel that way. So far, i'm learning a lot about it in a way thats not abusive at all. I wouldn't mix up passionate responses with hateful comments.

@ttp, actually, I havent really seen users attacking users. Unless you said that as a precautionary thing.

I think by now we all get that some of us like it and some don't. We're all just trying to understand the other side and why they feel that way. So far, i'm learning a lot about it in a way thats not abusive at all. I wouldn't mix up passionate responses with hateful comments.

It was meant to be precautionary. But yeah, what's going on now is nothing compared to what I've seen on other forums in the past, makes the strong passions being expressed here look like an English tea party. ;)

Hi Ccrules2791! Nice to meet you! Now you may not be familiar with my response system so here's how it works:

I assign each quote a color. Whoever's quote that is, it's a specific color and I'll say who's quote it is, and in what color it is.

For example, I put your quote in green, and you can see that because I mentioned that your post was green.

I color code my posts so everyone can find them easily. For example, if you just wanted your quote and my response to it, you could click "Show" and scroll down until you see a green quote that'd be yours. The colors are always listed in the order that I put the quote into.

Hopefully you understand this. I do this so:

• Everyone can find their posts easily, even when I have 16 quotes to reply to (extreme example, but it happened here :P)
  • I like to reply to multiple people and multiple quotes, so this is a way of organizing it without it getting messy and annoying to go through to see if you got replied to or not
  • I put a spoiler in so my long post doesn't get in the way of everything.

Hopefully you understand!

The Adversary, your 3 quote's are in red.

beastwars, your quote's in blue.

SprayCanSoulGuy, your 2 quote's are in gold.

Ccrules2791, your quote's in green.

KidA, your quote's in magenta (again).

gentleparachute and diogo_sg, your quote's are in orange. (diogo_sg specifially, you have 2 quotes).

I ran away, your 3 quotes are in dark purple.

Kidd is Alive, your quote's in turquoise.

ov3la, your quote's in pink.

futuro.altj, your quote's in purplish-grey.

Like Miracles it's boring, bland (bordering on Christian rock?!) commercial pop song, with generic, cliche lyrics that ride the wave between sappy and flat out ridiculous, squeaky clean production (if it sounds like that live just imagine the album version) that makes it ridiculously grating to listen to.

Like stated by Kid A, it's nothing but "lifestyle" music engineered to be played in tesco's and Top 100 playlists. Utterly forgettable and soulless.

You must be trolling... "soulless"

I'm sorry but it's absolutely not shite. The music on AROBTTH and Parachutes is not even the same type of music! bands evolving is a natural process, but they do it within their own genres and sub-genres. Listen to Radioheads discography, come back and then we can talk about "experimentation" I'm not going to justify what Coldplay are doing by calling it experimentation anymore.

I don't enjoy pop music. I love Coldplay because they are a rock band. If you like banal, generic shite like Amazing Day and True Love that's fine. But don't insult by trying to say it's just as good as anything on Parachutes and AROBTTH because frankly that's just ridiculous.

Dude, you could make an argument for AROBTTH... but this is miles better than most on Parachutes...

When any discussion on this forum goes beyond anything other than pure adoration for absolutely all the output Coldplay gives us you get this violent backlash. The apologists so slavishly defend mediocrity. If Coldplay released an album full of chicken noises people would still defend with the usual lines of wishy-washy, vague and utterly irrefutable argument such as : "Everything they do can be justified by experimentation, therefore if you think the experimentation is bad you are stuck in the past and don't want them to evolve" or "If you don't like everything Coldplay do you're not a real Coldplay fan so you'd be better off leaving the forum etc etc."

Honestly anyone who dare say anything negative and give fair criticism are immediately ostracized and sent to the Gallows. Any sort of serious discussion is stifled with the typical "We all love Coldplay, therefore we should never disagree!" The factionalism here sometimes is so obvious it's laughable. Any discussion with any sort of depth follows the same formula. People criticize, some people respond to the actual criticism but the VAST majority will just complain about the fact there's criticism in and about itself and then give each all a congratulatory pat on the back for being the divine curators of all things Coldplaying.

Look if you see I actually edited my post to make it more clear. That wasn't directed at all Oldplay fans, that was just directed at some that are calling this track "utter shite".

"When any discussion on this forum goes beyond anything other than pure adoration for absolutely all the output Coldplay gives us you get this violent backlash.'

How do you figure that? I'm fine with criticism. But when it gets to the point where people are literally calling tracks "utter shite", that's just unclassy. Especially when they say it 40 million times. That's called being a troll, not being a real fan.

"The apologists so slavishly defend mediocrity."

This is another example of people calling a track of what they think it is and stating it as a fact, and then attacking the people who like the track. Look, it's not a fact that Amazing Day is an example of mediocrity. That's an opinion. You're stating it as a fact and then attacking the people who like the track. Criticism doesn't work that way bud.

"If Coldplay released an album full of chicken noises people would still defend with the usual lines of wishy-washy, vague and utterly irrefutable argument such as : 'Everything they do can be justified by experimentation, therefore if you think the experimentation is bad you are stuck in the past and don't want them to evolve'"

That's different. We're talking about actual music here bud. If anything's vague, it's your defense of the people who are calling this track "utter shite", and shoving it in everyone's face. And, for you to compare Amazing Day to that is just low. One's actual music, the other isn't, and that's actually a fact, I'm allowed to say that. As for the quote, that doesn't work if they make chicken noises, I'm not that stupid. But if you're talking about actual music, I don't see how that argument wouldn't work. They're allowed to experiment, they're allowed to make mistakes sometimes, that's a part of being human. If you don't want them to evolve that's bad either. As another person said on here, if all they did was the acoustic stuff of Parachutes most of us would have moved on from the band, and if that wasn't the case most of the people that were still here would be screaming for them to try new things, to evolve. If you don't want them to evolve... well, that's fine, but you're probably going to get bored of the same thing over and over again. We should allow room for them to experiment, and if we don't like what they come up with we can say that we don't like it, simple as that. But we don't have to be rude about it and shove it in everyone's face. Discussion and debate is okay, I'm fine with that, but when you're literally calling a track "shite" like it's a fact that's not the most classy thing to do, and to be honest that's a sign of just being a troll, really.

"or 'If you don't like everything Coldplay do you're not a real Coldplay fan so you'd be better off leaving the forum etc etc.'"

That actually kind of made me laugh seeing as you missed my point. I was trying to say that the people who are calling this track "shite" aren't real Coldplay fans. It's okay if you don't like the track and you're a Coldplay fan. For example, I don't really like Major Minus all that much in my opinion. It seems bland to me really. <-- See that's fine. But stating that it's "shite" as if it's a fact really is a sign of being a troll, nothing more. It's okay to state your opinion without calling it "shite" like it's a fact, and there's a way to criticise without shoving it in everyone's face. As for the second part, me and @jc90 weren't literally telling people to leave the forum. We were just wondering why they haven't left yet if they don't seem to like most of the tracks they made nowadays. To be honest, it's actually fine to stick around the forum even if you don't like anything they've made recently. But there's some people, and I won't name who, who seem to just stick around, hate everything new that they make, and they keep on complaining about it. That's what bother's me. It's a sign of being a troll if you're not going to stop complaining every second about everything new they've made. So I wonder why they haven't left yet, or at least why they haven't stopped complaining. It's fine to mention it every once in a while, without shoving it down all the other fan's throats.

"Honestly anyone who dare say anything negative and give fair criticism are immediately ostracized and sent to the Gallows. Any sort of serious discussion is stifled with the typical "We all love Coldplay, therefore we should never disagree!" The factionalism here sometimes is so obvious it's laughable."

Again, you missed the point. It's fine to not like Coldplay's new tracks, but if you're going to not stop whining and complaining about it and stating that it's "utter shite" as if it's a fact then there's a reason why you're getting complaints yourself. If everyone was sharing their opinion as if it was an opinion, and doing so in a respectful manner, than none of this argument wouldn't even be happening. It's okay to disagree, but we don't have to be disrespectful about it. I'm not attacking the people who are stating their opinion respectfully. Just the one's who are complaining about it over and over again.

"Any discussion with any sort of depth follows the same formula. People criticize, some people respond to the actual criticism but the VAST majority will just complain about the fact there's criticism in and about itself and then give each all a congratulatory pat on the back for being the divine curators of all things Coldplaying."

Again, you missed what I meant. I like discussions with depth in them. The deeper the better... but when it gets to the point of completely and utterly bashing Coldplay's content then that's where the respectful line is crossed.

Replace the words "criticize" with "song bashing" and that statement would be correct... I'm fine with real actual constructive criticism but it's not okay to completely bash a song.

TL;DR: You missed my point. My point was that people who were just calling the song "utter shite" weren't real Coldplay fans. I wasn't saying all criticism is bad, like you somehow misinterpreted my post to mean. It's okay to criticise, without whining and complaining. It's alright to disagree. Those kind of discussions are what keeps things interesting. But some people decide to ruin it all by calling tracks utter shite constantly and shoving it down everyone's throat. That's just annoying to all the fans who do like it, and we should try to be at least a bit more respectful if we don't agree/don't like a track. You seem to think that I think that all criticism is bad, when in fact I meant that it's bad to call a track utter shite constantly. I like criticism and I'm okay with it. But it gets annoying when people call tracks utter shite. That was all I was saying.

This post is the result of not living in a democratic society. Free will and judgement is utopia nowadays.

A lot of people should learn to accept others' opinions. I will never like MX for example, but I accept that people could like it, the same others should do when somebody says that Amazing Day is shit (and, I repeat, I'm an "oldplayer" and I like it).

We are all fans of a band that tries to spread love around the world and we're living our days in this place attacking each other for our opinion. Your concept of peace is very strange

I should have been more clear on what I meant. I meant that the "Oldplay" fans who were calling Amazing Day "utter shite" aren't real fans of Coldplay, because no real fan would trash Coldplay like that and be so harsh no matter what. Props to the real Oldplay fans who are at least don't call Coldplay's new tracks "shite" if they don't like the Newplay tracks, and are being respectful and constructive in their criticism.

I'll go ahead and edit that to make my point more clear.

Look people. Quit complaining and look ahead! I'm not saying you have to stop sharing your opinion' date=' because you have every right to do so, but this shit is going on for a whole day! If you're all so afraid that AHFOD will be just like this song, have a look at when Ghost StorY was released. 20-flippin-14! They could still make an album like that song! Even if it's only a year after Ghost Story! That song proved they could still do it. What makes you think they couldn't after hearing just ONE new "shite" song? I respect your opinion, don't get me wrong. But like I said before, we still have one WHOLE album to look forward to.[/quote']

In my opinion Ghost Story really isn't the best track ever, it's pretty decent but in my opinion it doesn't compare with most of Coldplay's new tracks.

So this thread became very sad in just 14 hours... :( I actually love the song. And I appreciate everything they do. Besides' date=' we have like one whole album to look forward to. Calm your tits Oldplayers.[/quote']

You know what I find ironic? All these people were complaining and whining "PLZ GIVE US NEW SONG NOWWWWWWW" and now that we have a new song they're still whining. Pathetic.

Hi Guys!

Had to jump in -- despite not being a major poster (have had an account on here for a while). At the first listen, thought this very much sounded like AIMH but really has a lot more going on I think. Johnny's guitar rift has a very sway-ey feeling to it. That makes it different than a lot of the other Coldplay ballads (The Scientist, Fix You) which have more of the tinge of sadness. I think this is in line with the theme of the album, a sort of momentary appreciation. The bass work is pretty impressive throughout.

I also think the "OHS" work here -- like some other posters have suggested. Actually, the only other time that I really felt a positive reaction to that technique was in Viva La Vida. They just aren't overkill. Just nice and kind of quiet.

We may have our set 1 closer here (pre-encore). Just Chris's end speech at the Global Citizens Festival "Have a nice day every body," -- could easily end the normal set of a new tour. Don't think it would be the last song of the show (which typically goes to a ETIAW or ASFOS type pump up song), but there's definitely opening/closing song material here.

Any other thoughts? Think this bodes well for the album. MX in retrospect had a ton of big, explosive songs. GS while more intimate felt (purposely) small in scope. I think this song just feels big, lyrically, and musically is something that we haven't heard before. In a sense, maybe it's a natural progression of AIMH with some more time to bake in the cake (like a cross between that song and Strawberry Swing).

Anyway, thanks for reading -- don't post often put looking forward to AHFOD.

Holy... it's refreshing to see a respectful and sensible post for the first time in a while! Thank you! Nice thoughts, and great analysis! I love it!

Oh my god, how hard is it to understand that it isn't a straight up choice between Amazing Day and A Rush of Blood to the Head! I don't want the first two albums again, just a return to that level of creativity and ambition.

Just think of the amazing things you can do with something as gorgeously abstract as music - especially when combined with the astronomical budget Coldplay must command. They could expand on all manner of the ground covered between A Rush and Viva and add new and creative dimensions like they did on Midnight, Yes, Chinese Sleep Chant and Major Minus. They have the talent and means to be every bit as artistically brilliant and emotionally resonant and Radiohead or Sigur Ros, delivering on the promise of their earlier work.

But instead...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JDEe8q9rnQ8

What? Okay, I respect your opinion, but I honestly don't see how someone could like Major Minus and dislike Amazing Day. I'm not going to hate you for it, but I just don't get that.

I second that!

Like Chris Martin said somewhere, they're not an autocracy, people can listen to whoever and whatever they want, switch off if they don't like...

Everyone's also entitled to their own views and opinions eg liking / not liking a song or album era or what direction Coldplay are heading... But can we be mindful that we're talking about a group of people here, most likely four musicians that have touched our lives in ways that are unique and meaningful, and I guess that's why we're all so passionate about them... They need space to breathe, and grow, and make mistakes.

Given how much CP have given us over the years and the effort they put into crafting their music, can we at least try and temper some of the hurt and disappointment rather than just bashing them with generic descriptions like 'crap' or 'sellout' or 'uninspired'... How about more thoughtful comments like 'commercial-sounding' or 'reminds me of...'? I'm sure they suffer from enough guilt and self-bashing already

This. This explains very well what I've been trying to say. If someone doesn't like a certain song and is 100% ready to bash it down to it's core' date=' please remember there are many people who love that song and will be hurt by those comments. Coldplay has so many different bands within it. There are people who like their rock band better, there are people who like their pop band better and there are people who like all their bands equally. But don't forget one thing: all the people in this forum love Coldplay. Why can't we argue "peacefully" and without harming each other by what can be understood as offensive comments? We are better than this.[/quote']

I agree with both of you... we shouldn't drop to the level of toxicity that YouTube has in their posts. These people need to use more thoughtful words if they want to bash a song.

Just because there are atheists who like Coldplay, that doesn't mean the guys can't believe and write songs about God. I'm sure there are plenty of people who

believe in Allah and like Coldplay, but I don't see any songs saying such name. A songwriter writes about what he believes and what he feels like it is important to talk about at the moment. Currently, we are trying to create a solution for major global issues (Global Goals), so Chris feels like he should write stuff about hope. And if he believes in God and sees in him hope and love (two things very important, imo) then he writes about God.

I believe in God. I obviously don't think he's and old man who created everything I touch and see (for that, we have the Big Bang and Evolution). But I think "he" is "something" that guides everyone. Maybe, for me, God is hope. He's that feeling we have when we feel like everything's not lost.

I hope you understand what I mean and I'm not meant to be rude in any possible way.

Love, Diogo.

Exactly my thoughts! I don't think that this song was written specifically for GC but I can see them premiering a song from their new album with that sort of theme to it as to fit in with GC. GC's about creating solutions for global issues as you said, so Chris decided to premiere a song about hope which is most likely from their new album (which may in fact be about hope itself). If he thinks hope and love is God, he'll write about God. We really shouldn't get too mad about it. He can write about what he wants to... and if it bothers some people all they have to do is listen to the song itself and they'll find it beautiful still. We should try to accept it.

As for your religious beliefs. I completely agree. I really couldn't have said it better myself... thanks!

By the way, don't get me started about the title. Boring, cheesy, cliche, no mystery at all.

2002 A Rush Of Blood To The Head, God Put A Smile Upon Your Face,...

2005 White Shadows, Twisted Logic,...

2008 Death and all his friends, Life In Technicolor, A Spell A Rebel Yell...

...2015 AMAZING DAY

Okay now I can completely agree with you on that... that's just so low of Coldplay I can't even... that title is just horrible. But whatever song has those lyrics on Chris' pants at iHeart is sure to have a good title... I hope...

Exactly my thinking. As an atheist, it is with a wary eye that I perceive this new-found spirituality of Chris (first the God Is Love Tattoo, and then this song).

I know there were references to his earlier ambiguity about God and belief in Cemeteries of London (I see God come in my garden but I don't know what he said, for my heart it was not open) and Speed of Sound ("some things you have to believe" "some are made and some are sent"). Like GPASUYF, they did not really bother me, because there was at least some ambiguity about it. The Mylo Xyloto Era had an even more strongly religious tone ("UFO - "Lord I don't know which way I am going" and Atlas - "Show me the way, Lord...")

But Amazing Day is actually a positively religious song, which makes me a bit uncomfortable.

It's not just the line "Thanks God...", it is also "Life has a beautiful crazy design". Life has not been designed. It is not a design. Creationism, anyone ?

Before I say anything, I'd like to say that I respect the fact that some of you are athiests. That's fine with me. I personally do believe in God, but not the one of the Bible. I do believe there is a higher power but not as in depth as the Bible... just my point of view on it.

And I see some of you are noticing Chris' spirituality. I personally am a fan of this, and I enjoy U.F.O and Cemeteries of London/SoS/etc. that have these references to God in them. It does seem like however that he's showing it more and more as time goes on as this quote above me here says.

Unfortunately, some of you decide to let yourselves get bothered by the more in-depth spiritual references that are in this track. That's fine with me, go ahead and let it bother you if that's what you want. But, if you want to like this song, just ignore those parts and just listen to the track itself. Just enjoy the beauty, the sweetness in it. If you're an athiest, the spiritual depth in this song doesn't have to ruin it for you. Just look past the spiritual lyrics if they bother you and enjoy the beauty of the song (if you in fact do enjoy the actual track itself).

Just trying to help anyone who's getting bothered by the lyrics. Not trying to start a religious war or anything. :)

I don't have an issue with the melody itself (and the AAAAHs are actually nice), but I have an issue with the lyrics and again with the production. There was a time when Coldplay could write songs full of hope and not sound like a cheesy Christian soft rock band. Clearly, these times have passed. This song is the companion piece to Miracles. The next song will be called God Is Love and the one after that Praise Thee O Lord.

Bigger font: Don't get too worried now. You never know what the rest of the album sounds like. If the lyrics about religion do bother you, as I said just try to look past them, and enjoy the melody. :)

Bold: That literally made me lol :lol:

I'm giving this song a few more chances' date=' 'cause I know that a song can grow on someone after the first listen aaaand it's not happening. I can say now that it doesn't remind me so much of Ghost Stories anymore, it feels a lot more MX-esque, some sort of "Always In My Head meets Us Against The World". I don't like the lyrics (and no, they're not better than GS at all), it feels like I've already heard this song thousand times instead of just three time, and when I try to think of it "Always In My Head" still jumps on my mind. Still a 6- out of 10 to me. Generic Coldplay Anthem #43.[/quote']

I do kind of agree this song does remind me of MX... with it's own feel it it. In my opinion it sounds like Up in Flames + AIMH with a hint of Christmas Lights. For the lyrics, I do kind of agree, they're not the best in the world, but I sort of enjoy them a bit. But the melody itself makes up for it big time IMO. It really does feel like I've heard this song a thousand times... it really seems like something Coldplay's done before and some other artists even has done before... in my opinion this song isn't the most original track in the world and it feels like I've heard it a lot of time before, or something close to it at least. But that doesn't take away from the beauty of it IMO...

"Generic Coldplay Anthem #43" LOL

Once again' date=' Amazing Day will not be on AHFOD. It was for the festival only.[/quote']

I honestly don't understand the reasoning behind this claim. Many fans say that he was on the fence as whether or not to debut the song... if it was a festival song he would have made up his mind long before. If it was a single from AHFOD it'd make sense as to why he was on the fence. (I'm a poet and don't know it :lol:)

Want more evidence against this claim? Here:

There is nothing to confirm this. If it were for charity, they would have said so by now.

You guys are all allright cause it reminds of AIMH but i remember something of Up in Flames too in this song' date=' don't you think? However i really like the new song and i can't wait for the studio version, when do you think they'll publish the studio version?[/quote']

Looks like I'm not alone in my opinion! :D

I have A Head Full Of Dreams... and one of them is to go to a Coldplay Concert :laugh4:

Eyes and stars? Sounds like Yellow to me. :thinking: There are many infinitely simplistic yet beautiful lyrics on Parachutes and X&Y but yet no huge sticking point. What about the poetry and chaos dudeeee? This is also just the live version. From MX we know songs can be quite different live vs studio. I bet the strings will sound much better there.

I noticed this with my previous account starting around the time ETiaW and Paradise came out- a growing all-or-nothing division with the middle ground shrinking. :nod:

Certainly people of all opinions deserve a place here. Viva in particular was crazy- while it blew the fandom away and was imo their creative apex :viva: :heart: it also set unrealistic expectations going forward. To me it's like hearing Kid A (your name) and then ending up at King of Limbs. Still has a couple great songs but artists seem to shed risk and creativity as they get older. But that also doesn't make the music terrible. That may be what we're seeing but who knows? AHFoD could bring back a lot of cultural influences too. :)

I know not of this inescapable spiral you speak of. But to each their own. :thinking:

Regarding creativity. My exact quote was I felt it was lukewarm to positive. I'll try to put it another way. I don't mind the creativity or lack thereof in this song. Lukewarm to positive in my book is around a 60-70% clip if you wanna put a number on it, which again, I am okay with. Again, I think its a bit unreasonable to expect 100% out of the band all the time. But this is more personal taste than something we can objectively argue on about.

I'll skip the Christian Rock debate. Like I said, I'd like to avoid if at all possible.

Regarding Coldplay decline and freedom to express so. I 100% agree with the freedom to express Coldplay's perceived decline. What I have an issue with (and I don't think its ridiculous) is how a poster can say they hate the song (or a more colourful variation of that, 'the song is shite') and not back it up with any tangible arguments for it whatsoever unless begged to. I've been on the other end and criticized Coldplay in other aspects of their craft (their MVs for example). I get fully that not everyone has to like everything that they do. Again, I just ask that ppl explain themselves. To me, providing the evidence is what sets trolling and criticism apart.

Regarding asking users to leave. I answered this with another user earlier but to save you some effort I basically clarified the statement by asking instead why users stay around when the past few eras have provided nothing but disappointment for them. Of course you are free to come and go as you please. I'm just saying personally, were the roles reversed, I would have left a long time ago.

Regarding the bolded part. Actually, I hear it all the time and i'm sorry, but this sounds like pretty much the same thing to me. This song, or Miracles, or ASFOS, or Paradise, or whatever it is, is always pointed at as a sign of the decline of Coldplay. I'm not even quite sure you wrote that as a direct rebuttal towards one of my comments, but I agree with you when you say its a respectable opinion and no one should be scolded for it.

I too respect your views KidA. I hope you know that by now that I find you one of the finer posters on the board despite us being on opposite ends of the spectrum. However, regarding what i'd have done to make the song better, I am without an answer. Although, I would have gone back to a 'wall-of-sound' trick. Though it may been said that they've done it before, I'd take it breakfast, lunch and dinner. I don't mind the lyrics (for the most part). I will say it does lack a...something...that makes me truly excited about the song that I can't put my finger on. That's more a job for the band that it is for me to say.

Holy... your posts are massively in-depth all of a sudden! Great job! Did you get that idea from me? :D

I noticed, even though KidA doesn't like this song, he isn't a jerk about it. In his last post he stated his opinion without shoving it down our throats, and he also gave reasons. That's the sort of criticism I like to see. Good job KidA, keep it up.

I'll keep my review short: Not bad, really, but I hope this is the worst song on the album, and not the best one.

If this will be the worst song on the album, this next and up and coming album will undoubtedly be my favorite. In my opinion, this song set the standard almost sky-high, though.

I'd just like to clarify the "utter shite" thing was just me quoting diogo (Go back and look) who misquoted me and meant as an intensifier to get a point across.

Honestly this is getting tedious now, the discussion is way beyond the actual song and more on people's posting style and general mode of expression.

It's quite clear by now I'm firmly of the belief that Coldplay post 2009 completely lack gravitas. Others don't. That's fine, I wouldn't want this space to be an echo chamber, but please don't insult me personally by suggesting I'm a troll and not a "real" fan. People who are familiar with me on here know I'm CERTAINLY not a troll and know I'm passionate about Coldplay.

*checks thread*

*sees multiple very large posts*

*lol I bet it's people fighting each other*

*it's people fighting each other*

*sigh*

CALM DOWN KIDS IT'S JUST MUSIC FOR FUCKS SAKE

Yes. *sigh* I figured this would happen upon the release of a new song. I can't imagine what will happen when the first single (the India MV one) comes out. Since it's supposed to sound like Paradise, I'm expecting the reaction to be even more negative.

Yes. *sigh* I figured this would happen upon the release of a new song. I can't imagine what will happen when the first single (the India MV one) comes out. Since it's supposed to sound like Paradise, I'm expecting the reaction to be even more negative.
That's when the DELETE POST button will come in handy :wacky:

And I don't give a darn if people are offended by seeing their long ass posts disappear, if you're gonna behave like an ass, you shall be treated like an ass. WIPE IT CLEAN AND REMOVE ALL THE SHIT :heart:

And I don't give a darn if people are offended by seeing their long ass posts disappear, if you're gonna behave like an ass, you shall be treated like an ass. WIPE IT CLEAN AND REMOVE ALL THE SHIT :heart:

ROFL :laugh3:

Guest diogo_sg
If the ranting continues I will delete your posts, seriously.

I think it's best for everyone if you do that. I'm not joking. I think there's enough negativity here to fill up a whole decade. The release of a new song should be a happy thing and not this sea of attacks and negative posts.

I also like how you put arguments across, Kid A. You are right - in a sense Amazing Day is bland and lacks creativity. Can I point out that this is probably intentional (along with a lot of other decisions this band makes)? I guess we're all arguing about the significance or meaning of these creative decisions (choosing 'safe' and leaving room to breathe is also a decision lol)

Some people interpret it to mean they have 'sold out', or have become a 'tired' band... You may be right, but looking at their track record and background - we all know that can be quite technically capable and creative musicians, I'd say they made a conscious decision to go with the so-called safe sound, which makes the song gentler and more digestible for the masses than it otherwise would be. That would be one way for people to focus on the emotional message of a song (eg through they way it is sung) rather than distracting with technical aspects.

Coming to the actual song performance, you might find it does the emotional home run in the perfection of a studio recording (that is yet to be seen either way). Or the guys might well be 'road-testing' the emotional impact it delivers in concerts - some things eg immediate audience response have to tested to be known... They might well be searching for that 'emotional something' that makes the song stand-out - is the song even a final version? The song may yet come alive when everyone has a sing-a-long live... Lastly don't under-estimate the effect of unfamiliar surroundings and technical glitches on a song that relies as heavily on emotional / performance delivery as Amazing Day - it's not as practiced as Fix You or Yellow, therefore will be harder to 'nail' on performance day, particularly if instruments breakdown or the lead singer is emotionally preoccupied/ not at his best (yes I'm winking at you, Chris :wink3:)

I'd almost stick my neck out and say they made a very brave (or stupid :laugh3:) decision to debut / try out a song at this stage of their album development/ production... They could have played a sure-fire hit (I'm sure they have a few up their sleeve) but chose a slow, simple number instead... That takes guts as it leaves them open to criticism if the performance doesn't deliver for whatever reason.

And I don't give a darn if people are offended of seeing their long ass posts disappear, if you're gonna behave like an ass, you shall be treated like an ass. WIPE IT CLEAN AND REMOVE ALL THE SHIT :heart:

Please don't. If anything this thread is a victory for free expression. People fundamentally disagree, but by the end we've (sort of) reached an amicable conclusion. Censorship isn't the answer imho.

Also, If I did offend anyone by insulting Amazing Day, I would like to extend the hand of truce. I try to remain composed but sometimes the Irish brashness and sense of humour is released when debating topics of interest and passion ;)

*checks thread*

*sees multiple very large posts*

*lol I bet it's people fighting each other*

*it's people fighting each other*

*sigh*

CALM DOWN KIDS IT'S JUST MUSIC FOR FUCKS SAKE

*checks thread*

*oh hi batman is here*

*tries to calm her down*

*chocolate?*

*k bye :escaping:*