✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Amazing Day

@AwardChris

Guest diogo_sg
Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I don't value your opinion and contribution, but to me and a lot of others it would seem, This is utter shite. It's very exasperating trying to debate someone who won't acknowledge the obvious flaws to Amazing Day and to go further and try to claim it's just as good as anything on the first 3 albums is just absurd. Bounds of reason please.

Of course I can see the so called "flaws" in Amazing Day. But what you call bland, I call simple. What you call boring, I call peaceful. Not every song has to be an A Rush Of Blood To The Head. Still, I enjoy Amazing Day in the exact same way I enjoy AROBTTH. I rate them differently, but I enjoy them equally. Is that absurd? I don't think so.

Lmao whats with everyone calling Amazing Day Shit,do u expect the new song from AHFOD to be like Politik/AROBTTH?Then you will be calling it a ripoff.Personally i see this song rather positively as its simple and calming like strawberry swing.There are more songs in AHFOD,i believe this song is surely worthy of a spot in the album,with the great bass.Like or dislike it,its not shit for sure

Lmao whats with everyone calling Amazing Day Shit,do u expect the new song from AHFOD to be like Politik/AROBTTH?Then you will be calling it a ripoff.Personally i see this song rather positively as its simple and calming like strawberry swing.There are more songs in AHFOD,i believe this song is surely worthy of a spot in the album,with the great bass.Like or dislike it,its not shit for sure

Be careful.

Someone might try to prove you wrong!

Guest diogo_sg

I'm beginning to think that even if Coldplay release an album or song in the vein of AROBTTH, people would still call it rubbish, simply because of the gigantic amount of hate there is towards *everything* they've put out on recent years.

On a side note: honestly, Amazing Day doesn't sound like pop to be. Not one bit. But everyone is bashing it for being poppy! I must be very wrong, then.

Btw, it's an average CP song, not the shit someone is saying. Respect for the critic posts, as I am very critic sometimes as well, but this time I disagree.

You have to get out of the 'forma mentis' that every song must be a masterpiece technically speaking. One of my favourite music genres is 80s-90s dreampop/ethereal wave, and most of the songs have quite simple structure, but they are just wonderful and classic. Think of Carolyn's Fingers by Cocteau Twins for example or Monochrome by Lush or Catch The Breeze by Slowdive... there is a thing in music that makes a song a masterpiece, and it's not technical skill but soul. If you want technical skill Metal music is more appropriate for you taste

This is utter shite. It's very exasperating trying to debate someone who won't acknowledge the obvious flaws to Amazing Day and to go further and try to claim it's just as good as anything on the first 3 albums is just absurd. Bounds of reason please.

Just for the record, who claimed that it was musically as good as anything in the first 3 albums?

Most people who said they enjoyed it liked specific bits of it eg Guy's bass, or Jonny's guitar, or found the song conveyed a peaceful / togetherness vibe... Tbh, the lyrics are probably a bit better than a number of GS tracks.

Feel free to disagree...

Oh my god, how hard is it to understand that it isn't a straight up choice between Amazing Day and A Rush of Blood to the Head! I don't want the first two albums again, just a return to that level of creativity and ambition.

Just think of the amazing things you can do with something as gorgeously abstract as music - especially when combined with the astronomical budget Coldplay must command. They could expand on all manner of the ground covered between A Rush and Viva and add new and creative dimensions like they did on Midnight, Yes, Chinese Sleep Chant and Major Minus. They have the talent and means to be every bit as artistically brilliant and emotionally resonant and Radiohead or Sigur Ros, delivering on the promise of their earlier work.

But instead...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JDEe8q9rnQ8

OK, so a lot of negativity about the negativity for the song. Just to get an outside perspective on the song, look at the less than lukewarm reception to "a new song by one of the biggest bands in the world putting out a glimpse of a new era" received by the industry press. The new song wasn't even a highlight in the context of the festival or even the highlight of the short coldplay set! That spot was reserved for the Ariana duet.

I'm not saying this should influence your opinion of the song one bit. Just showing that this is not a time where existing long term coldplay fans critisize their current work for no reason. The world is starting to be indifferent to their new output.

Oh my god, how hard is it to understand that it isn't a straight up choice between Amazing Day and A Rush of Blood to the Head! I don't want the first two albums again, just a return to that level of creativity and ambition.

Just think of the amazing things you can do with something as gorgeously abstract as music - especially when combined with the astronomical budget Coldplay must command. They could expand on all manner of the ground covered between A Rush and Viva and add new and creative dimensions like they did on Midnight, Yes, Chinese Sleep Chant and Major Minus. They have the talent and means to be every bit as artistically brilliant and emotionally resonant and Radiohead or Sigur Ros, delivering on the promise of their earlier work.

But instead...

hmmm...

So let me say I have nothing against voicing opinions, but I say we create a thread called "Complain About Coldplay" because I expected to wake up and read the last 100 posts about a new song and discuss it, not have almost every post in a thread about a song be about hating on Coldplay.... :)

But instead...

Yes,i respect your opinion and hopefully there will be more creative songs in this album.What i was trying to say was pointed on some people who said it was shit,which I don't believe it deserves to be called so.There might be different opinions to this song,some may like it some may find it bland.But as there are creative songs in a album(Yes,Chinese Sleep Chant/Major Minus) there would be some slow,simple calming songs to balance it out like Strawberry Swing/U.F.O respectively.Let us just hope that there will be more interesting and ambitious songs in AHFOD instead of just saying that the current Coldplay is shit and all that compared to last time just because of one song.

OK, so a lot of negativity about the negativity for the song. Just to get an outside perspective on the song, look at the less than lukewarm reception to "a new song by one of the biggest bands in the world putting out a glimpse of a new era" received by the industry press. The new song wasn't even a highlight in the context of the festival or even the highlight of the short coldplay set! That spot was reserved for the Ariana duet.

I'm not saying this should influence your opinion of the song one bit. Just showing that this is not a time where existing long term coldplay fans critisize their current work for no reason. The world is starting to be indifferent to their new output.

maybe it's because its not really the first single off the new album.. it's like "always im my head" debuting for the first time.. it wasnt the highlight and the mainstream press wasnt that keen on it wen it first debuted live

So let me say I have nothing against voicing opinions, but I say we create a thread called "Complain About Coldplay" because I expected to wake up and read the last 100 posts about a new song and discuss it, not have almost every post in a thread about a song be about hating on Coldplay.... :)

Discussing is also criticism

I don't want the first two albums again, just a return to that level of creativity and ambition.

But instead...

I love exactly those songs in those albums! They are my favs from the newer albums and add so much colour and some technicality to the proceedings... Forgive them for stuff like PoC, or whatever 'pop' you think they've sold out to... Your album fillers are another popsters' / mindless fan's gems :D

C'mon, if everyone's gonna be a fan then I guess we all gotta learn to live and co-exist with one another

Guest diogo_sg

Well, Ariana is definitely more mainstream than Coldplay. So that explains it. Also, if Coldplay had debuted a song like ETIAW, there would be a lot more buzz around it, I'm sure. But Amazing Day is just too slow to generate any buzz around non-fans.

I'm not concerned about this, to be honest. I don't care about the indifference of others towards Coldplay. I love them no matter what. Besides, lesser known bands don't generate any buzz at all and I don't see their fans getting all upset about that.

Eh, not really. I have plenty of friends who don't believe in God and lyrics that mention God/religion don't bother them.

They only bother me when they recur too often. It's not that I won't listen to the song anymore though, I just find it a tad bit annoying :awesome:

I really love the piano & bass intro and how the gitar & drums fall in.

Glad to hear real instruments and they all have their big part in it. :)

Such a shame the piano got broken, it might have been interesting to hear Chris playing it himself.

For me, this song is a song to listen to and maybe slowly shuffle my feet.

Not sure how it is going to fit in AHFOD, which is supposed/presumed to be a very happy record.

But, after having it on repeat for a few hours (and trying to catch up on the forum) I still like it.

I can't wait for the studio version and find out how the vibe is going to be on that.

I really love the piano & bass intro and how the gitar & drums fall in.

Such a shame the piano got broken, it might have been interesting to hear Chris playing it himself.

For me, this song is a song to listen to and maybe slowly shuffle my feet.

Not sure how it is going to fit in AHFOD, which is supposed/presumed to be a very happy record.

But, after having it on repeat for a few hours (and trying to catch up on the forum) I still like it.

I can't wait for the studio version and find out how the vibe is going to be on that.

Exactly!! You can still "shuffle your feet" to this song....and I can't wait for the studio version too because I think it will be more powerful

Dare I jump into this piranha pit?

Regarding views on the song:

It's not a perfect 10 song like others are claiming and its not an absolute dud like others are saying either. But it seems like with the past few songs, if it isn't a perfect 10, ppl are grabbing their pitchforks. Srsly, are we expecting Coldplay to produce perfect 10s each and every time? Give me a break....

I can hear the arguments to my statement already: "but jc90, we aren't asking for 10s, just some more creativity!". Okay, I can respect that a little bit more. But I see this song as more creative than some claim it to be. The bass for one is blowing my mind. Compared to the usual 'Coldplay-Wall-of-Sound' technique which we see from Coldplay, i'd see this as creative, 'cause they aren't using that trick in this song. I feel we can argue this day and night, but for now, my feelings are lukewarm to positive towards creativity.

Regarding the use of 'God' in the song:

On my 25+ years on earth, I know that everytime something even remotely religious comes up, ppl are bound to call foul. But really now? "Coldplay are turning into a christian rock group, ohnoessss". I'm not of any particular religion myself, but if someone is, then what business of that is mine? I don't really know nor care if Coldplay is religious or if its bleeding into their work. With that being said, I don't even think it was some secret message to fans to convert to a certain religion. I think it really was just a use of the word 'God' in a purely artistic manner. That's the last i'll be speaking about anything religious on this forum. Nothing good ever comes from it.

Regarding this song as an indication of the fall of Coldplay:

I'm astounded on a daily basis at particular users who remind us every day that Coldplay are losing their touch. We all know who you are. You are different than the other members of oldplay who are genuinely fighting for them versus the ones who are just negative for no reason. If you really feel this way then best of luck to you on another forum. I don't see the value in staying in a place where everyone else is having a great time and you are not. If i'm at a dinner party and i'm not having a good time, I leave! I don't stick around! Simple as that. It's almost like those users are trying to convince everyone to leave the party with them. But just let them (us) be! Let us be idiots who love to listen to terrible songs and praise mediocrity as you guys tell us. We'd rather continue listening to MX and GS then take another rant upon our earholes about how this is the end of times. Dont be that one person at a party not having fun and trying to ruin it for everyone else.

Final views:

Like I said in the very beginning, this isn't a perfect 10, but it isn't a stinker like some are saying. I can list many songs in Coldplay's library that I would call worse than this. But I can also list many songs that are much better. I'd call it a solid 7 whose strong points are instrumentals and most lyrical content. Points are docked for another use of the 'ahh ahh ahhhs' which are quickly becoming another 'trick' the band are to quick to use and, as others have said, its missing something that takes it from a bland song to something that could be a bittt better.

Guys, be excellent to each other. We (well, most of us) still love the band and want the best for them. I guess we just have conflicting views on what is best, but the passion is there.

Dare I jump into this piranha pit?

Regarding views on the song:

It's not a perfect 10 song like others are claiming and its not an absolute dud like others are saying either. But it seems like with the past few songs, if it isn't a perfect 10, ppl are grabbing their pitchforks. Srsly, are we expecting Coldplay to produce perfect 10s each and every time? Give me a break....

I can hear the arguments to my statement already: "but jc90, we aren't asking for 10s, just some more creativity!". Okay, I can respect that a little bit more. But I see this song as more creative than some claim it to be. The bass for one is blowing my mind. Compared to the usual 'Coldplay-Wall-of-Sound' technique which we see from Coldplay, i'd see this as creative, 'cause they aren't using that trick in this song. I feel we can argue this day and night, but for now, my feelings are lukewarm to positive towards creativity.

Regarding the use of 'God' in the song:

On my 25+ years on earth, I know that everytime something even remotely religious comes up, ppl are bound to call foul. But really now? "Coldplay are turning into a christian rock group, ohnoessss". I'm not of any particular religion myself, but if someone is, then what business of that is mine? I don't really know nor care if Coldplay is religious or if its bleeding into their work. With that being said, I don't even think it was some secret message to fans to convert to a certain religion. I think it really was just a use of the word 'God' in a purely artistic manner. That's the last i'll be speaking about anything religious on this forum. Nothing good ever comes from it.

Regarding this song as an indication of the fall of Coldplay:

I'm astounded on a daily basis at particular users who remind us every day that Coldplay are losing their touch. If you really feel this way then best of luck to you on another forum. I don't see the value in staying in a place where everyone else is having a great time and you are not. If i'm at a dinner party and i'm not having a good time, I leave! I don't stick around! Simple as that. It's almost like those users are trying to convince everyone to leave the party with them. But just let them (us) be! Let us be idiots who love to listen to terrible songs and praise mediocrity as you guys tell us. We'd rather continue listening to MX and GS then take another rant upon our earholes about how this is the end of times.

Final views:

Like I said in the very beginning, this isn't a perfect 10, but it isn't a stinker like some are saying. I can list many songs in Coldplay's library that I would call worse than this. But I can also list many songs that are much better. I'd call it a solid 7 whose strong points are instrumentals and most lyrical content. Points are docked for another use of the 'ahh ahh ahhhs' which are quickly becoming another 'trick' the band are to quick to use and, as others have said, its missing something that takes it from a bland song to something that could be a bittt better.

Guys, be excellent to each other. We (well, most of us) still love the band and want the best for them. I guess we just have conflicting views on what is best, but the passion is there.

Perfect how you summed it up :)

Just a thought... Has anyone else given it a thought how nerve-wracking a broken piano minutes before a performance, plus doing a new duet with another artist, plus debuting a new song in front of a crowd who are not exclusively fans might be? I reckon there's even a decent chance it might have affected the energy / mood of their performance...

I agree with AMDB9 that any studio version will be more powerful emotionally