✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[2016-06-26] Coldplay Headline Glastonbury 2016

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear that they will be at Glasto, but I just read it is the ONLY festival appearance this year !! I wonder why, are they tired of touring already ?

I wouldn't have thought so. They have a massive world tour on the go, so planning festival slots around that has to be tricky. They'd planned the Wembley shows around Glasto, just as the Foos did last year, so it was pretty likely they'd be playing Glasto. Festival slots also take more casual fans away from their headline tour.

Glasto is special, that sold out long before any acts were announced.

SFK

I remember a few years back I went to Lollapalooza and Muse and Coldplay were on same day, 2 different stages opposite ends of the park, slightly diff time and it was an effing mess,(who created that schedule????) ppl scrambling back and forth. Needless to say, Angie and I stayed at the Coldplay stage pretty much all day to wait for our band. At least they have them performing on two different nights, ahem

• 1 month later...

Hey fellow Coldplayers.... long time Coldplayer here - been following Coldplay since 2000, and was fortunate enough to get to see them play the SuperBowl which was probably one of the best concert/entertainment moments of my life - I knew they would make it special and really included everyone with a beautiful message. Don't care what anyone said but Coldplay was the heart and soul of the show and true musicians. Bruno was a close second w/ those dance moves, and Beyonce was overrated needing fire and lights to distract. Regardless... Im a fan of Hymn for the Weekend.

Anyway, I want to see Coldplay at Glastonbury as part of my bucket list (will try for one of the wembley dates as well). I was wondering if I could get some tips or help in trying to get a ticket - I've registered and am going to try for the resale today at 6p (BST) which is the coach and ticket package. Now I only want to go Sunday, but does the ticket entail the entire 4 days/nights, and is it hard to get transportation back and forth there. Are people camping, staying in hotels, etc. ? Also, would love to join fellow coldplayers as I plan to go solo... have london friends that unfortunately can't make it. Goal is to get to the front for Coldplay - I did it about 10 years ago at Coachella and it was amazing. Would love to see the boys in their homeland. I know it's going to be epic after what I experienced at the Super Bowl!

Thanks in advance and Viva la Coldplay!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Hallo everyone,

I was lucky yesterday and managed to get ticket in the resale! Still can't believe it!

I'm going on my own, is there anyone on here who's going?

How lucky! Congrats.

I tried but overslept by a few minutes (i live in the US) and unfortunately did not get one. My dream was to get to the front for the coldplay set. I applied for volunteering but it looks like it's full. If there are any people in the know about Glastonbury. Is there any other way to get in the festival, or is pretty much locked at this point? I wish they sold it like other festivals where we can get tickets elsewhere but I guess for security sake they go through an elaborate and strict process.

Any will try to see the band in Wembley if I can't get into Glastonbury.

• Like 1

Coldplay always always delivers at Glastonbury. Some of their best concerts were recorded there- 2005-2011. Unfortunately they didn't played during the VLVODAAHF times. This is going to be very special. I wish a miracle happen and everyone here have a chance to attend it. It's a big dream of mine. Glastonbury has a killer Line-Up this year too. I will find a way to watch all the mains and some of my favorites live online. I excited for this!!!

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-36201807

Glastonbury to honour David Bowie and Prince

By Mark Savage Music reporter

_89594178_d416bbf4-da1c-4a7e-a17f-22db3caafb0b.jpg

Glastonbury's Pyramid Stage will be decorated with a giant lightning bolt in tribute to David Bowie, organiser Emily Eavis has told the BBC.

The metal sculpture, inspired by the sleeve for Bowie's Aladdin Sane album, will hang above acts like Coldplay and Adele when they play the stage in June.

The Park Stage will also host a performance of Philip Glass's Symphony No 4, based on Bowie's Heroes LP.

Eavis added plans were also taking shape for a Prince tribute.

The musician, who died last month at the age of 57, had long been rumoured as a potential headliner at the festival.

Eavis confirmed his appearance had been "close to happening for three years" and called his death "a huge loss to music".

'Not moving site'

Bowie did headline the festival in 2000, playing dozens of hits including Starman, Heroes, Let's Dance, China Girl and Life on Mars.

Footage from the show - which Eavis called "the best festival set I've ever seen" - is due to be screened around the site this year.

Eavis co-runs Glastonbury from her father, Michael, who established the event in 1970.

She played down reports the festival was moving away from its base at Worthy Farm, but confirmed plans for a separate festival during the "fallow year" of 2018.

"It's going to be the whole team behind the Glastonbury Festival but it's not going to be called Glastonbury," she said, explaining the event would be a "visual feast" featuring "larger-scale installations, as well as music".

"The main thing to set straight is that Glastonbury Festival itself will always be at Worthy Farm."

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.nme.com/news/coldplay/93994?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=coldplay

Coldplay are reportedly planning a Viola Beach tribute at Glastonbury

The up-and-coming band were tragically killed during a car crash in Sweden in February

2015Coldplay_Sydney2003_GettyImages-85359226171115.article_x4.jpg

Coldplay are reportedly planning to pay tribute to Viola Beach during their headline set at Glastonbury later this month (June).

The Warrington band were on tour in Sweden when their car plummeted into a canal during a crash on February 13, killing all four band members (Kris Leonard, River Reeves, Tomas Lowe and Jack Dakin) and their manager Craig Tarry.

Chris Martin and his bandmates are now said to be planning to cover a Viola Beach song during their Sunday headline set at the Somerset festival as pictures of the band are projected onto big screens.

A source is quoted as telling The Sun: "Coldplay always support upcoming bands and the news of Viola Beach's sudden death hit them all hard as fellow musicians. They want to use the Pyramid Stage to honour the lads."

The Coral and Courteeners previously paid tribute to the band at a celebratory

Warrington gig in April. The packed bill also featured Eliza and the Bear, The Vryll Society, The Strawberries and Psyblings. The Zutons made a rare live appearance alongside Hidden Charms. A recording of Viola Beach's live show was played between bands, and all proceeds from the show went to the families of Viola Beach and Craig Tarry.

Meanwhile, the band's song 'Swings and Waterslides' entered the UK charts at Number 11 in March following a campaign from fans to get the track to Number One in tribute to the late musicians.

• Like 2

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/bbc-television-radio-glastonbury-coverage_uk_57555fa1e4b040e3e819cde5

Glastonbury 2016: BBC Announce Comprehensive Coverage Plans Ahead Of Worthy Farm Festival

Over 85 hours of content is being planned.

ith just weeks to go until festival-goers flock to Worthy Farm, the BBC have announced their coverage plans for this year’s Glastonbury festival.

As always, the Beeb will have everything covered with a variety of broadcasts scheduled across their many TV channels and radio stations.

57556273130000fb07383ab0.jpeg?cache=uefbpbdfgi

Nils Jorgensen/REX/Shutterstock

The Pyramid stage will play host to acts including headliners Coldplay, Adele and Muse

Over 25 hours of footage from Glastonbury will be screened across BBC One, BBC Two and BBC Four, beginning with a special episode of ‘The One Show’, fronted by Alex Jones and Greg James.

Each of the three headline sets will be shown on BBC Two, along with Jeff Lynne’s ELO’s Sunday legends slot. Highlights from each day will also been shown while BBC Four will feature extended playback of acts including Foals, New Order and PJ Harvey.

Meanwhile, over 60 hours of content will be played on the BBC’s various radio stations, and Chris Evans’ Radio 2 breakfast show will be coming live from the site on Friday 24 June.

The coverage will be fronted by some of the BBC’s best presenters, including Annie Mac, Jo Whiley, Steve Lamacq, Clara Amfo and Trevor Nelson.

For the first time, fans will also be able to get even more access behind the scenes with the BBC Music app, which allows users to see exclusive full sets from across the weekend.

BBC Music’s director Bob Shennan has shared his excitement ahead of the festival, stating: “Glastonbury promises to be a magical weekend, especially this year with so many homegrown performers including Jeff Lynne, Adele, Muse and Coldplay.

“If you can’t make it to Worthy Farm, BBC Music will bring you the cream of the festival, whether you’re at home or on the move. ”

See more details on the BBC’s planned coverage here.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/jun/06/bbc-glastonbury-tv-coverage-adele-muse-coldplay-bbc2?CMP=share_btn_tw

BBC reduces Glastonbury TV coverage

Corporation to broadcast Adele, Muse and Coldplay’s sets in full on BBC2, but cuts back its overall televised coverage

The BBC has indicated it will cut the number of hours it will devote on its main TV channels to Glastonbury, this year featuring Adele, Coldplay and Muse.

It said on Monday it would devote more than 25 hours of coverage across BBC2, BBC4 and on BBC1’s Friday evening magazine show, The One Show.

It means viewers will have about five hours less to watch than in the previous two years, when the BBC put 30 hours of music across its four TV channels, from BBC1 to BBC4. Its youth-orientated channel BBC3 has since been closed as a TV channel and is now online only.

The BBC later said the amount of TV airtime being devoted to the event was still being finalised. It said its coverage will also be available online and on interactive TV via the red button, as well as on BBC radio.

Coverage will include live streams from six key music stages with a presenting lineup including Jo Whiley, Mark Radcliffe, Lauren Laverne, Steve Lamacq, Greg James, and Radio 2 DJ and new Top Gear presenter, Chris Evans.

Announcing its plans on Monday, the corporation said the new BBC Music app would give users “access to more Glastonbury than ever before, allowing them to personalise their journey according to their personal preferences”.

4256.jpg?w=460&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=50db7efb67cefb52a012a1b650b17699

Michael Eavis urges Glastonbury fans to use their vote on Europe

Read more

The four-day festival, which will also feature PJ Harvey and Jeff Lynne’s ELO, begins on 22 June. BBC2 will play host to the headliners on the main Pyramid stage, broadcasting Muse, Adele and Coldplay’s sets in full.

Bob Shennan, the controller of Radio 2 and 6 Music, who is also the director of BBC Music, said: “Glastonbury promises to be a magical weekend especially this year with so many homegrown performers including Jeff Lynne, Adele, Muse and Coldplay.

“If you can’t make it to Worthy Farm, BBC Music will bring you the cream of the festival, whether you’re at home or on the move.”.

Last year, just under 19 million people saw some of the BBC’s coverage, with an audience of 1.8 million tuning in to Lionel Richie’s Sunday afternoon legends slot which will this year be filled by Lynne’s return as ELO.

BBC4 will feature acts including Foals, New Order, PJ Harvey and Earth, Wind and Fire. The BBC will also broadcast more than 60 hours of content across its various radio stations.

http://www.nme.com/news/coldplay/93994?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=coldplay

Coldplay are reportedly planning a Viola Beach tribute at Glastonbury

The up-and-coming band were tragically killed during a car crash in Sweden in February

2015Coldplay_Sydney2003_GettyImages-85359226171115.article_x4.jpg

Coldplay are reportedly planning to pay tribute to Viola Beach during their headline set at Glastonbury later this month (June).

The Warrington band were on tour in Sweden when their car plummeted into a canal during a crash on February 13, killing all four band members (Kris Leonard, River Reeves, Tomas Lowe and Jack Dakin) and their manager Craig Tarry.

Chris Martin and his bandmates are now said to be planning to cover a Viola Beach song during their Sunday headline set at the Somerset festival as pictures of the band are projected onto big screens.

A source is quoted as telling The Sun: "Coldplay always support upcoming bands and the news of Viola Beach's sudden death hit them all hard as fellow musicians. They want to use the Pyramid Stage to honour the lads."

The Coral and Courteeners previously paid tribute to the band at a celebratory

Warrington gig in April. The packed bill also featured Eliza and the Bear, The Vryll Society, The Strawberries and Psyblings. The Zutons made a rare live appearance alongside Hidden Charms. A recording of Viola Beach's live show was played between bands, and all proceeds from the show went to the families of Viola Beach and Craig Tarry.

Meanwhile, the band's song 'Swings and Waterslides' entered the UK charts at Number 11 in March following a campaign from fans to get the track to Number One in tribute to the late musicians.

What a brilliant band Coldplay is. Seriously lads, thank you:D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/news/glastonbury-2016-how-to-watch-it-on-tv/

Glastonbury 2016: how to watch it on TV

glastomain-large_trans++JKshGvN1om7Aqkp8aAKZGdGmygSMXx0F6kNOzUL6Gw4.jpg

June is here, and those of us lucky enough to have Glastonbury tickets will be counting the days until it's time to head to Worthy Farm for a long weekend of music and merriment.

he rest of us, though, will have to make do with following the TV and radio coverage from home. This will be the 20th year the BBC has been broadcasting from the festival, and Bob Shennan, Director of BBC Music, says: “If you can’t make it to Worthy Farm, BBC Music will bring you the cream of the festival, whether you’re at home or on the move. ”

But what to watch? And where? And when? And how? And so on?

Here's what we know so far.

When does the Glastonbury coverage start?

While the festival gates open 8am on Wednesday 22 June, with the first act taking to the stage on the Friday morning (The Orchestra of Syrian Musicians with Damon Albarn and guests, coming on at 11am), the BBC TV coverage will be kicking off on with Friday with The One Show, broadcasting from Pilton. Hosts Alex Jones and Greg James will be joined by musical guests for music, chat and a bit of festival colour.

How much of the festival is the BBC showing?

There'll be around 25 hours of TV coverage across BBC One, BBC Two and BBC Four - five hours less than there was last year.

Jo Whiley, Lauren Laverne, Mark Radcliffe, Gemma Cairney, Clara Amfo, Huw Stephens and Martin Dougan will be presenting coverage from six stages: The Pyramid, Other, West Holts, Park, John Peel and BBC Introducing .

How about the headliners?

BBC Two will be showing the Pyramid stage headliners' sets in their entirety. On Friday evening it'll be Muse, on Saturday Adele and on Sunday Coldplay.

glasto1-large_trans++aHd6X3lW3lGv45Ug3tlONXkx7eHoz2WeGlqtH4KejSs.jpg

What other acts should I be looking out for?

The Sunday teatime legend-slot will be filled by Jeff Lynne’s ELO this year, and BBC Two will be showing the whole thing.

Over the course of the weekend BBC Four will broadcasting complete sets from Foals, New Order, PJ Harvey and Earth Wind & Fire, plus extended highlights from other acts.

BBC Two will be showing highlights from various stages on Friday evening, Saturday afternoon and late night on Saturday and Sunday.

Acts further down the bill we'll be looking forward to include Skepta, Underworld, Wolf Alice, The 1975, LCD Soundsystem, Savages, Sigur Rós and Grimes.

And there'll also be an embarrassment of Glastonbury coverage via the Red Button.

On the radio

If you prefer your telly without pictures, there'll be 60 hours of Glastonbury broadcasting across BBC Radio 1, Radio 1Xtra, BBC Radio 2, BBC 6 Music and BBC Radio 4.

Annie Mac kicks off proceeding on Thursday evening with a live broadcast from the Introducing stage on Radio One, while The Chris Evans Breakfast Show will be coming live from the site on Friday 24 June.

Other DJ's making the trip to Somerset include Jo Whiley, Dermot O’Leary and Trevor Nelson, Lauren Laverne, Tom Ravenscroft, Steve Lamacq and Cerys Matthews.

BBC Music app is set to feature exclusive full sets and tracks from across the weekend - and tonne of coverage to catch up with on iPlayer.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/15/coldplays-glastonbury-performance-up-in-the-air-as-the-bee-gees-barry-gibb-is-forced-to-pull-out-5946047/

:disappointed:

Coldplay’s Glastonbury performance up in the air as the Bee Gees’ Barry Gibb is forced to pull out

rexfeatures_4589074f.jpg?w=748&h=498&crop=1

The Bee Gees’ Barry Gibb has been forced to pull out of his scheduled Glastonbury performance with Coldplay.

The 69-year-old singer has had to cancel his appearance at the music festival later this month as a close family member has fallen ill.

‘Barry has had to stay put in Florida as a close family member is unwell and he needs to be with them. It’ll be a shock if he makes it,’ a source told The Sun.

‘He is disappointed as he was really looking forward to playing at Glastonbury.

‘He’s a good friend of Chris and the band and didn’t want to let them down, but there is just no time for him to get to England to rehearse.’

Barry had been due to perform with Chris Martin and co as Coldplay took to the Pyramid stage for their headline slot on Sunday.

It’s not clear if Coldplay will now go on the hunt for another special guest to join their set or if they’ll make do with just the band.

‘Coldplay had planned a big, colourful set around Barry’s appearance,’ the source continued. ‘The medley was going to be in the middle of it all as a centrepiece. Now they are having to go back to the drawing board and think up a different surprise, which isn’t what they need when they’re doing a world tour.’

Adele and Muse are also set to headline during the weekend music festival. Coldplay have previously headlined Glastonbury in 2002, 2005 and 2011.

• Like 2