• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest diogo_sg
I was musing on this part

"down upon the canvas, working meal to meal

waiting for a chance to pick your orange field"

Im unsure about the exact meaning of the "pick your orange field" part. I think the gist of the sentence is an artist who is working "on commission" just to make ends meet (meal to meal), waiting for a break?

But is "pick your orange field" an idiom Im not familiar with perhaps?

I think it's about someone who is working hard (meal to meal) on something and is waiting for his/her chance to pick the fruit (product/consequence) of what he's/she's doing and so achieve his/her goals.

Guest diogo_sg
^^ I agree :) I just never heard the expression "pick your orange field", so not sure if its an idiom or if its just from Chris own dictionary *lol*

I've never heard such expression too. Yeah, it's probably Chris's own dictionary :P

Guest diogo_sg
I've been wondering about that orange field as well. Maybe he means it literally as to owning your own orchard or something, with which you earn more money than working "down upon the canvas" :shrug:

Makes sense. I didn't think of that :)

I've been wondering about that orange field as well. Maybe he means it literally as to owning your own orchard or something, with which you earn more money than working "down upon the canvas" :shrug:

Well Chris said that Up&Up was inspired by the book, The Grapes of Wrath. If anyone has read the book or seen the movie, it's about farmers in Oklahoma during the Great Depression and dust bowl. They had to move out to California because all their land had dried up, and they heard promises of lush farmland and lots of jobs picking fruit in California. So this big family packed up everything they own into their large car, and drove out to California. I won't give any more spoilers in case anyone wants to read it, but along the way and once there, they had to sleep in their canvas tent and were waiting to hear of job openings at orange fields. So basically, I think the song says even if you are really down on your luck, there's always the possibility of moving up.

So that's where the canvas and orange field stuff comes from.

Oh I forgot the "meal to meal" part....I'll put it in a spoiler because there is no way to explain it without giving away essential parts of the story plot.

There were barely any jobs, and they didn't know once they got a job if they would be able to keep it from day to day. All the money they earned went towards food, so they were literally working "meal to meal."

• Like 7

Guest diogo_sg
Well Chris said that Up&Up was inspired by the book, The Grapes of Wrath. If anyone has read the book or seen the movie, it's about farmers in Oklahoma during the Great Depression and dust bowl. They had to move out to California because all their land had dried up, and they heard promises of lush farmland and lots of jobs picking fruit in California. So this big family packed up everything they own into their large car, and drove out to California. I won't give any more spoilers in case anyone wants to read it, but along the way and once there, they had to sleep in their canvas tent and were waiting to hear of job openings at orange fields. So basically, I think the song says even if you are really down on your luck, there's always the possibility of moving up.

But that's where the canvas and orange field stuff comes from.

Oh I forgot the "meal to meal" part....I'll put it in a spoiler because there is no way to explain it without giving away essential parts of the story plot.

There were barely any jobs, and they didn't know once they got a job if they would be able to keep it from day to day. All the money they earned went towards food, so they were literally working "meal to meal."

Thanks for the info! :)

Oooh thanks a lot for that! That makes so much more sense now. And my random guess wasn't even that far off, wooho!

• Like 1

Excellent! Thanks for that info :)

• Like 1

So that's where the canvas and orange field stuff comes from.

Thanks, that is a really good explanation !

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

up&up is the next single!

Coldplay’s “Up&Up” Added To The KROQ Playlist

February 17, 2016 2:03 PM

Filed Under: Coldplay, Most Played

coldplay-at-the-belasco-121.jpg?w=640&h=360&crop=1

(Photo by Cody Black / KROQ.com)

Coldplay has proven to be one of the most successful acts of the new millennium, selling millions of records and earning seven GRAMMYs. Last year they released A Head Full of Dreams, their seventh studio album. “Up&UP” is the latest single from the album.

kroq

• Like 2

That is pretty awesome, although it's unlikely that it'll get popular. Although it'd be really nice, they should have worked on promoting HFTW which clearly would have been the big one from this album.

The music video is definetely going to be interesting though,

• Like 1

Yeah but we already have three singles with videos from AHFOD (AOAL, Birds, HFTW) so I think Up&Up might fall into this category of secondary singles that get no video, like What If or White Shadows. At least that's my theory :)

Could be!