✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Up&Up

getithom

Jedi, I hope Coldplay sees your quote. Think they'd be filled with gratitude knowing that the song is doing what they no doubt intended!!

That is a nice thought! I hope that too then :) Im very sure Im not the only one using that song for its intended purpose :)

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know right?! But I'm not terrified, I'm very, very angry.

Thats why I hope this is solved sooner rather than later. We have some pathetic politicians who are doing all the wrong things if you ask me...instead of listening to the people. I dont wanna see the anger rise because that has always bad consequences and never has brought to anything good. I also dont like seeing people being put against each other. But I have faith in the people...I think we can definitely manage this in a civil manner (well maybe more than a couple of :smash::smash: I would be happy to direct to some of our leaders LOL)

• Like 1

Obviously the live version is far superior, but I realized one of the main reasons for this is the ending. The live ending has such an epic feel to it quite reminiscent of "Death And All His Friends". A grave mistake to not include it on the album. Will's drumming is also much more dominant live.

• Like 1

Obviously the live version is far superior, but I realized one of the main reasons for this is the ending. The live ending has such an epic feel to it quite reminiscent of "Death And All His Friends". A grave mistake to not include it on the album. Will's drumming is also much more dominant live.

Agree about the sudio ending being messed up. I actually like the part starting with the final "epic" Oooooaaaahs Oooooaaaahs but then the "Believe in Love" feels so disconnected and weird !

• Like 1

Agree about the sudio ending being messed up. I actually like the part starting with the final "epic" Oooooaaaahs Oooooaaaahs but then the "Believe in Love" feels so disconnected and weird !

They've made some bizarre decisions in terms of production in all albums since MX. I don't know exactly who calls the shots on the final edits but I can't imagine they all agree with the ending on Up&Up or how one of Jonny's best solos is excluded from the studio version of Another's Arms.

They've made some bizarre decisions in terms of production in all albums since MX. I don't know exactly who calls the shots on the final edits but I can't imagine they all agree with the ending on Up&Up or how one of Jonny's best solos is excluded from the studio version of Another's Arms.

Don't forget the terrible production in DLIBYH and AHFOD the title track - I liked the latter when it was played life but the studio version does not live up to it...

• Like 1

^ I totally agree on DLIBYH (although I don't let that stand in the way of enjoying the song, since it's such an epic and powerful song... so uplifting and dancey (in the good way, I always feel so energized when listening to it)) however I don't know what's wrong with the production on AHFOD (besides that it's a little "clean"...)

EDIT: I do prefer the live version of AHFOD however. It sounds much better. Unlike Up&Up however, it's only a small difference in quality so I'm not too concerned about the studio version. But I'd wish that Coldplay realizes honestly what kinds of decisiions they're making on songs now. Yes, the production is getting worse, but it's the bands problem really, because they seem to either be fine with it sounding that way or... no. If they let it on the album they're not just "fine" with it, they know it's the best choice, to their ears anyway, even though it isn't. They like the pop production so they'll let it through. They want that. My view entirely, I think now the blame should be put on the band. The producer gets chosen by the band, and if it sounds the way it is on the album the band likes it. It's a sign of their musical tastes obviously changing to pop because not only are they making poppier songs, they're going with pop producers now. Not really Stargate's fault. To some ears, the production would sound great. He's a pop producer, meant to appeal to pop fans, Not us alt-rock fans who prefer a different type of, slightly "messier-sounding" production which in my (and mostly everyone else's) opinion, gives that feel to a song that.. it's hard to explain. Wouldn't be the same way if it had pop style production. It's on the band, because they wanted it, they're going with it, and they want a pop producer to make hits for them. Sad but true. Coldplay's tastes are turning to pop and that's further confirmed by the Beyonce and Bruno Mars Superbowl thing. Yes that's right. A once rock band is now going with the pop starts. Not that I don't like those artists' music: in fact every song I've heard by Bruno Mars sounds great. Not Coldplay great, but you know. Beyonce's a little pop for me although "Halo" is pretty good :) But I'd like Coldplay to not drop to that level of pop (they've taken another step towards pop with AHFOD, which I'd never have wanted to have happen...) At least they haven't crossed the line with me yet :) Although they're getting closer... However I think this is the closest they're going to get. I see this album as probably the end of their pop era. LP8 will probably start fresh and new with something completely new that Coldplay ain't done before. Maybe an ambient? Ambient-rock? I'd love to see those from the band... it's sure to be an amazing product if they do. A man can dream... one thing's for sure however: Chris Martin is 38. He's not going to be jumping all crazy over the stage for much longer (at least I hope so). Speaking of that, I remember one time I was watching "Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall" on Letterman and he fell over lol! Anyone watch that? One of the reasons he may want to consider not jumping around so much :P By then though, they'd probably switched back to making more melancholic and meaningful stuff. It's nice to have some fun stuff too which I really appreciate but I love that a lot too... we'll see. That's my reasoning anyway, feel free to come up with your own thoughts on what will happen :)

• Like 2

^ I agree, the live version has a better vibe to it and is more epic IMO, and they could have done a little better on the production, although for me it only degrades the song as a whole a little bit. Not as good as it could be but still a great song IMO.

• Like 1

or how one of Jonny's best solos is excluded from the studio version of Another's Arms.

Wait what??? What solo? I remember liking the live version more but I dont remember the studio omitting a whole solo? Could you give me a link if this is the case? I totally wanna hear it

• Like 2

Wait what??? What solo? I remember liking the live version more but I dont remember the studio omitting a whole solo? Could you give me a link if this is the case? I totally wanna hear it

From 02:24 onward. It's barely audible on the studio version but Jonny does an amazing job with it live. I'm amazed you haven't noticed it! Just search on YouTube for "Another's Arms".

The same criticism can be applied to Oceans, especially when you compare it to the live version they did on Max and BBC live.

From 02:24 onward. It's barely audible on the studio version but Jonny does an amazing job with it live. I'm amazed you haven't noticed it! Just search on YouTube for "Another's Arms".

The same criticism can be applied to Oceans, especially when you compare it to the live version they did on Max and BBC live.

The way you wrote it seemed like a whole solo was absent from the studio version! Lol that's why I asked you. I've certainly noticed its louder in the live version but that solo is equally present and identical , though not as loud, in the studio version.

I also prefer the live version cuz it's less muffled.

• Like 1

The way you wrote it seemed like a whole solo was absent from the studio version! Lol that's why I asked you. I've certainly noticed its louder in the live version but that solo is equally present and identical , though not as loud, in the studio version.

I also prefer the live version cuz it's less muffled.

Yeah on the album version I find the piano in the middle of the song, and the guitar solo rather muffled. The one redeeming thing about the album version is that the muffled-ness of the guitar allows the very interesting bassline there to shine through. That said, I really like the authoritative/piercing sound of Jonny's guitar live for that solo...reminds me of heavy hip-hop or trap.

On Up&Up, which guitar solo is it that people don't like the mixing on? I thought the solos sound sufficiently loud, clear, and excellent. Not nearly as egregious as perhaps the guitar volume on Everglow (which is a bit low relative to the live version).

On Up&Up, which guitar solo is it that people don't like the mixing on? I thought the solos sound sufficiently loud, clear, and excellent. Not nearly as egregious as perhaps the guitar volume on Everglow (which is a bit low relative to the live version).

Im satisfied about Up&Up. Everglow solo is a whole lot lower than the live version, which is a pity. On a note: try and listen to Another´s Arms and other GS songs on vinyl, you´ll hear the solos pop to the front again :)

• Like 1

What do you guys think about the 'two' guitar solos? I initially thought they sandwiched either side of the chorus, but now I'm not so sure... The first guitar passage spanning 3:19 - 4:05 may actually contain both the solos within it, the first from 3:19 sounds more like Noel (the muscular attack on every note and lack of clarity do not sound like Jonny to me) and the second from 3:43 sounds like Jonny's floating dynamic guitar-playing to my ears. And similarly the second guitar passage from 4:53 probably has them both 'dueling' it out with a call and response pattern

Guest diogo_sg
What do you guys think about the 'two' guitar solos? I initially thought they sandwiched either side of the chorus, but now I'm not so sure... The first guitar passage spanning 3:19 - 4:05 may actually contain both the solos within it, the first from 3:19 sounds more like Noel (the muscular attack on every note and lack of clarity do not sound like Jonny to me) and the second from 3:43 sounds like Jonny's floating dynamic guitar-playing to my ears. And similarly the second guitar passage from 4:53 probably has them both 'dueling' it out with a call and response pattern

I continue to think that the first solo is Noel playing a Jonny solo and the second one is Jonny playing a Noel solo, like a few others have already said here. I don't know Noel's guitar work quite well, but I do know Jonny's and the first solo sounds a lot like him. The last one, not so much. Many people here have said that the last solo sounds like Noel and even has his 'trademark' sound (again, I am not familiarized with his guitar work). Anyways, if Noel was meant to play Jonny and viceversa, then the first solo should be Noel's and the last solo should be Jonny's. At least that's how I see it ;)

Yeah :)
:) Ah okay, then I also think that Noel played the first one and Jonny the second one (in the studio version :D) . I love the first one so much! I am 100% Sure that the first one is Jonny's solo (That's already been said I think).

Its definitely (one of) his best guitar solo(s) ever ! IMO

:guitarist::jonny:

I was musing on this part

"down upon the canvas, working meal to meal

waiting for a chance to pick your orange field"

Im unsure about the exact meaning of the "pick your orange field" part. I think the gist of the sentence is an artist who is working "on commission" just to make ends meet (meal to meal), waiting for a break?

But is "pick your orange field" an idiom Im not familiar with perhaps?

Im unsure about the exact meaning of the "pick your orange field" part. I think the gist of the sentence is an artist who is working "on commission" just to make ends meet (meal to meal), waiting for a break?

I was thinking about that line too and I think you're right.